Masters tips?

wmblake2000

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great thread with a ton of great insight re being there. I just made my plane reservations. Yahoo! I’m going to the Masters. I grew up in hardscrabble Arkansas. After April 2 I will have seen the Taj Mahal and Augusta Nat’l. Would have never imagined it...

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I’ve got two extra tickets but have heard horror stories about ANGC revoking privileges for reselling. Last thing I want is for my two to get invalidated for selling other two. Do they really troll Ebay and other sites looking? Why wouldn’t they walk out to Washington road and bust those folks at their doorstep?

Anyone have any sound advice on this?

I’ve got two extra tickets but have heard horror stories about ANGC revoking privileges for reselling. Last thing I want is for my two to get invalidated for selling other two. Do they really troll Ebay and other sites looking? Why wouldn’t they walk out to Washington road and bust those folks at their doorstep?

If you sell these tickets and the buyers get kicked out for unruly behavior the they will put you on a future no tix list as these tickets are associated with your name. If you got these in the lottery, it is really no big deal as the odds seem very low to get them anyway. The issue here lies with ppl/families that get yearly 4 day badges. You don't want to lose your annual tournament badge so it would behoove you to only let responsible parties utilize those badges. This is my understanding of it anyway.

Appreciate the info. I read that they added a color code system above the hologram on the tickets starting last year. This is in addition to the alpha numeric number they already associate with the tickets. My concern is when I originally listed the tickets, this color code was visible. Honestly I didn’t even notice it when I first got the tickets. Someone bought the tickets but that picture is still out there. Would they really search and void all four tickets because of that?

Appreciate the info. I read that they added a color code system above the hologram on the tickets starting last year. This is in addition to the alpha numeric number they already associate with the tickets. My concern is when I originally listed the tickets, this color code was visible. Honestly I didnt even notice it when I first got the tickets. Someone bought the tickets but that picture is still out there. Would they really search and void all four tickets because of that?

I highly doubt it. These tickets are sold everywhere. There are ads all over Augusta every year for ppl wanting to buy your tickets. I think you are being a bit paranoid. I have yet to hear of anyone being denied access in the gate so you would be the first. Im pretty sure all will go very smoothly. Have a great time. What day are you going?

This might work to your advantage. Have here hang out at a spot near the phones so she can go check in every so often. Both of you will have chairs set up in this spot. Naturally you will need to head out to the course to keep her posted of the action elsewhere, ALONE. You see how nice this is working out?

Appreciate the info. I read that they added a color code system above the hologram on the tickets starting last year. This is in addition to the alpha numeric number they already associate with the tickets. My concern is when I originally listed the tickets, this color code was visible. Honestly I didn’t even notice it when I first got the tickets. Someone bought the tickets but that picture is still out there. Would they really search and void all four tickets because of that?

I highly doubt it. These tickets are sold everywhere. There are ads all over Augusta every year for ppl wanting to buy your tickets. I think you are being a bit paranoid. I have yet to hear of anyone being denied access in the gate so you would be the first. Im pretty sure all will go very smoothly. Have a great time. What day are you going?

We’ve got tickets for Tuesday. I hear that’s a pretty good day to attend. Great info on the denied entry. It seems silly to me too. However I know Augusta is very strict on their rules. That’s where my paranoia stems.

Best day ever!!! Christmas in Feb!

Is there any way someone can steal your badge number and get in before you know it? I'm asking bc my wife wants to post ours as a brag but I just want to make sure no one can steal info off of them.

Hammer 6.5*
GX7 12*
Warrior Golf 3-PW
Squarestrike UW
Alien 56*
Double Duty Putter

Best day ever!!! Christmas in Feb!

Is there any way someone can steal your badge number and get in before you know it? I'm asking bc my wife wants to post ours as a brag but I just want to make sure no one can steal info off of them.

I am pretty sure you need the physical badge, and that they would be hard to reproduce. However, that being said, I've always covered up the numbers if I have posted a picture publicly (social media, etc.). It doesn't state specifically on masters.org whether the physical ticket must be present, but I believe it does. Also from the site: "Patron Tickets will be limited to a total of three entries per day"

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I don't know if this was mentioned, but get there EARLY as possible and hit the merchandise tent first. After you make your purchase, just to the right of the building is a "Coat Check" where you may drop off your purchases for the day and pick up on the way back out. In my experiences if I wait until I leave to hit the merch tent, it's over crowded and difficult to "browse". Early in the morning when the gates open it isn't as bad and allows you to walk around and look at all of the options. I also dare to say the "Coat Check" will be completely filled and closed up by 9-9:30 a.m.

TSR3 10º Driver - LinQ M40X Blue 6F5     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Modus 120X

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
Odyssey TEN - SuperStroke PIstol 2.0

Pro V1 

This might work to your advantage. Have here hang out at a spot near the phones so she can go check in every so often. Both of you will have chairs set up in this spot. Naturally you will need to head out to the course to keep her posted of the action elsewhere, ALONE. You see how nice this is working out?

Although sarcastic, this is actually spot on advice :) i was lucky enough to attend the weekend rounds in 2016 and wed/Thursday round last year. I married into the right family, what can I say (I’ll be there Tuesday and Sunday this year).

In 2016 I went on Saturday alone. First time ever at the Masters, walking in there with no phone or anything wondering how the hell the next 10 hours or so will be completely by myself. It was fantastic. I could walk around at my speed, which as others have said, with the hills at Augusta National my legs were killing me the next day. I could go to the spots on the course I wanted to see, concessions whenever I felt like it, not having to worry if the person I was with could see. It was amazing. If anyone had the opportunity to go, even if solo, I highly recommend doing so.

There’s a ton of good advice already posted on this thread. If it’s your first time attending, you will leave and immediately start figuring out a way to make it back. After my first time there I was on a high for probably 6 months.

I was interested in buying some tickets for Wednesday to add to the ones I won and talked to the owner of one of the major resell companies in Augusta. He said that Augusta scours all the different resell sites and will void any tickets they find either through the number up top or the color coded serial number they added to the tickets. He said this year Augusta will send you a letter in the mail and tell you you’re tickets are void instead of just denying them at the gate. I had already bought tickets from him so I don’t see any reason why he would lie to me about it

I've only been on tournament days so this might not be as important on a practice round but here's how I always navigated the course. Also it is possible the tournament has changed things that would prevent some of these cut throughs, last time I was there was about 10 years ago. Last, I recommend walking the holes in order as that's how they will be most familiar to you, not to say you can't go in reverse order but IMO when you see these holes in person for the first time, you want to see them looking from the tee toward the green, not the other way around.

• Starting on 1, walk up the right side of the hole, this will allow you to transition to 2 without getting stuck having to use a cross walk.
  • Walk down the right side of 2. From the top of the hill right by the fairway bunker you can see all of 2 and the tee shot on 3 (can also see 7 green and 8 tee from here as well)
  • Cut through the woods to the right side of the 3rd green, from here you can also see tee shots on 4.
  • Have to walk down the left side of 4, right isn't open to patrons
  • You will start on the left side of 5 (no choice) and then cut across to right side (again, no choice) to make it up to the green.
  • 6 Tee is elevated so a great view of the entire hole from the tee.
  • Biggest party spot on the course is between 6 green and 16 green. There is a big concession tent there and some of the best scenery on the course for sure (think co-eds in sundresses :drinks: )
  • Once you've had a couple of $2 beers and a sandwich or three, head up the left side on 7 so you can turn easily to #8. 7 is hard to follow players on because the green is elevated and there is a bottleneck at 7 green/8 tee but again, might not be a big deal in a practice round.
  • You want to walk up the right side of 8, between 8 and 9. You won't get as close to the green but you can still see putts on 8 and then its easy to cut across to landing area of tee shots at the bottom of the hill on 9.
  • Up to you if you want to go up and watch tee shots on 10 but we always just headed straight to the 10th green (which is just behind 18 tee) as its another bottleneck area up by 10 tee.
  • The walk up the right side of 11 is maybe my favorite on the course. IMO you want your first views of Amen corner to come as you walk down 11, not walking 13 backwards. Take your time, this is as good as it gets, looking down the hill to 11 green with 12 right behind it, all framed by Ray's Creek. I get chills just thinking about it.
  • Find a good spot and just soak up the scene at 11 green / 12th hole / 13 tee. Nothing like it on earth. I know people who go every year and just sit there in one spot all 4 days, its that special.
  • Once you've had your fill, walk up the right side of 13 (no choice) and then cut across to left side of 14.
  • From 14 you can turn to 15, cut across to right side of 15 for the best views coming up the hole. At the top of the hill, again soak it in, view of 15 with 16 in the background is "pinch yourself" stuff. Try to picture Nicklaus hitting his 1 iron there in 1986 and tell me you don't get goosebumps.
  • 16 is gorgeous but is a real bottleneck. I usually tried to get positioned in the space between 15 green and 16 but I think there are a bunch more bleachers there now so might not be possible.
  • Watch 17 from the left side, will allow you an easier transition to 18.
  • Definitely be sure to watch a few shots from the tee at 18, hard to believe just how narrow the shoot is off the tee. Left side of 18 will likely be more crowded so I always chose the right side to come up.

Hope this helps. As I wrote this, I relived tons of great memories of walking around Augusta over the years, sincerely hope yours are just as special.

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to write this out. I'm finally going to bite the bullet and Buy a ticket online for a competition day. Probably Thursday. I plan on following this itinerary exactly. I have some questions though:

What is the best and most reputable way to buy the tickets online? I am looking at stubhub. It looks like they have a pickup location very close to the course. Anyone know their policy on rain outs?

Is it hard to find parking around close to the course? I plan on getting there early. Which lot is the best place to park?

When do the gates open?

Do they have lots of clocks or do I need to take a watch? I normally tell time with my phone.

*****Most importantly***** Is it possible to follow a marquee group (ie Tiger, Phil, Rickie, Rory, etc) around the course and see all or their shots? I would like to basically see them on the range then follow their entire round. I want to feel the course being played as I see it for the first time.

Thanks!

I've only been on tournament days so this might not be as important on a practice round but here's how I always navigated the course. Also it is possible the tournament has changed things that would prevent some of these cut throughs, last time I was there was about 10 years ago. Last, I recommend walking the holes in order as that's how they will be most familiar to you, not to say you can't go in reverse order but IMO when you see these holes in person for the first time, you want to see them looking from the tee toward the green, not the other way around.

• Starting on 1, walk up the right side of the hole, this will allow you to transition to 2 without getting stuck having to use a cross walk.
  • Walk down the right side of 2. From the top of the hill right by the fairway bunker you can see all of 2 and the tee shot on 3 (can also see 7 green and 8 tee from here as well)
  • Cut through the woods to the right side of the 3rd green, from here you can also see tee shots on 4.
  • You will start on the left side of 5 (no choice) and then cut across to right side (again, no choice) to make it up to the green.
  • Biggest party spot on the course is between 6 green and 16 green. There is a big concession tent there and some of the best scenery on the course for sure (think co-eds in sundresses :drinks: )
  • Once you've had a couple of $2 beers and a sandwich or three, head up the left side on 7 so you can turn easily to #8. 7 is hard to follow players on because the green is elevated and there is a bottleneck at 7 green/8 tee but again, might not be a big deal in a practice round.
  • You want to walk up the right side of 8, between 8 and 9. You won't get as close to the green but you can still see putts on 8 and then its easy to cut across to landing area of tee shots at the bottom of the hill on 9.
  • Up to you if you want to go up and watch tee shots on 10 but we always just headed straight to the 10th green (which is just behind 18 tee) as its another bottleneck area up by 10 tee.
  • The walk up the right side of 11 is maybe my favorite on the course. IMO you want your first views of Amen corner to come as you walk down 11, not walking 13 backwards. Take your time, this is as good as it gets, looking down the hill to 11 green with 12 right behind it, all framed by Ray's Creek. I get chills just thinking about it.
  • Find a good spot and just soak up the scene at 11 green / 12th hole / 13 tee. Nothing like it on earth. I know people who go every year and just sit there in one spot all 4 days, its that special.
  • Once you've had your fill, walk up the right side of 13 (no choice) and then cut across to left side of 14.
  • From 14 you can turn to 15, cut across to right side of 15 for the best views coming up the hole. At the top of the hill, again soak it in, view of 15 with 16 in the background is "pinch yourself" stuff. Try to picture Nicklaus hitting his 1 iron there in 1986 and tell me you don't get goosebumps.
  • 16 is gorgeous but is a real bottleneck. I usually tried to get positioned in the space between 15 green and 16 but I think there are a bunch more bleachers there now so might not be possible.
  • Definitely be sure to watch a few shots from the tee at 18, hard to believe just how narrow the shoot is off the tee. Left side of 18 will likely be more crowded so I always chose the right side to come up.

Hope this helps. As I wrote this, I relived tons of great memories of walking around Augusta over the years, sincerely hope yours are just as special.

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to write this out. I'm finally going to bite the bullet and Buy a ticket online for a competition day. Probably Thursday. I plan on following this itinerary exactly. I have some questions though:

What is the best and most reputable way to buy the tickets online? I am looking at stubhub. It looks like they have a pickup location very close to the course. Anyone know their policy on rain outs?

Is it hard to find parking around close to the course? I plan on getting there early. Which lot is the best place to park?

When do the gates open?

Do they have lots of clocks or do I need to take a watch? I normally tell time with my phone.

*****Most importantly***** Is it possible to follow a marquee group (ie Tiger, Phil, Rickie, Rory, etc) around the course and see all or their shots? I would like to basically see them on the range then follow their entire round. I want to feel the course being played as I see it for the first time.

Thanks!

There is parking all up and down by the entrance to Augusta National, like anything else, the closer you get the more you pay.

Might be some shuttles that run too and crazy as It might sound I would check craigslist, you might be able to reserve something ahead of time.

As to the marquee group thing, it all depends how tall you are. I am 6’3” so even if I walked up to the back of a bunch of folks I can usually see. If you are under 6’ you might want to plan on camping out more.

Also be sure To have some kind of a chair, even if it’s small, most holes have roped off sections, have to sit when you are in those for the most part, can stand up and cheer when appropriate but then you are expected to sit back down. I found you can usually find a spot if you are patient and wait a few minutes for someone else to leave.

But bottom line, if you are following the leaders or a marquee group your going to have some give and take. A small pair of binoculars is a good idea for those times you do get stuck a little far from the action. Lastly, if you are following one specific high profile group around the course you need to understand you are NOT going to get close to key spots like 12 tee, 13 green and 16 green. People camp out all day to be close to the action on those holes. I always preferred to see the whole course but it does have its sacrifices.

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

I saw the post re Masters chairs and started to post there but didn’t want to derail op’s question.

I’m going Monday practice round. Yahoo! I am totally excited - wife and I had planned a trip this spring but she was gracious and postponed it so I could go.

My primary goal is to see the course and get a good feel for it. Second is just a few things from the store. Ball markers are my thing. I’ll use it and recall. I *hope* it won’t be too crowded.

My plan is to walk it from 1 to 18. Watch a couple of groups play each hole. Eat a green wrapped pimento & cheese sandwich. Take lots of pics. Really get a feel for how they play the course and the course itself.

For me, I had some options. My niece lives in Augusta and she knows some people. (But she and husband laughed at idea of getting me on the course. Not doable. Rats.)

I chose practice round. The tournament looks to be packed with people and I have never found being there to be a good way to watch a tournament.

Anything else that people have found really great? I don’t plan on sitting at any one hole too long - but if you were going to linger somewhere, where would you stop?

I also went on a Monday 2 years ago for the first time. A lot of people argue it's the best of the practice days to actually take in the course and scenery. Make sure you get there early too. Me and my friend spent the first 2 hours or more just walking hole to hole really taking in what is golf heaven. I knew the place would be amazing but you don't get just HOW amazing until you are walking the course. One of the things that I didn't expect was how much elevation change there was. TV doesn't do that part of it justice at all. The course condition blew me away too. The fairways looked like several of my local courses greens lol. I also tried to find some of the iconic spots where players have hit unbelievable shots. Then proceed to just stand there thinking "How the **** did they pull that one off." Lol. One of the first ones I went for was Bubbas hook on 10 since we started walking the back first. If it hadn't actually happened and is known as one of "those" shots, no way I would believe that shot was even possible. My only other advice would be take plenty of pictures. As far as holes to hang out around, my personal favorites are 13,15, and 16. We were walking down 15 towards 16 when Rory aced it. Crazy how loud of a roar that was for a Monday practice round.

Edit: sorry for the long post that repeated most advice lol. This thread just brought back one of the most treasured memories I have and probably ever will have again.

Your comment about 11 is another one I totally agree with. Standing on top of that tee box and looking down the fairway is one of thsoe goosebumps moments. You immediately understand why people end up in the trees on that hole lol

I saw the post re Masters chairs and started to post there but didn’t want to derail op’s question.

I’m going Monday practice round. Yahoo! I am totally excited - wife and I had planned a trip this spring but she was gracious and postponed it so I could go.

My primary goal is to see the course and get a good feel for it. Second is just a few things from the store. Ball markers are my thing. I’ll use it and recall. I *hope* it won’t be too crowded.

My plan is to walk it from 1 to 18. Watch a couple of groups play each hole. Eat a green wrapped pimento & cheese sandwich. Take lots of pics. Really get a feel for how they play the course and the course itself.

For me, I had some options. My niece lives in Augusta and she knows some people. (But she and husband laughed at idea of getting me on the course. Not doable. Rats.)

I chose practice round. The tournament looks to be packed with people and I have never found being there to be a good way to watch a tournament.

Anything else that people have found really great? I don’t plan on sitting at any one hole too long - but if you were going to linger somewhere, where would you stop?

I also went on a Monday 2 years ago for the first time. A lot of people argue it's the best of the practice days to actually take in the course and scenery. Make sure you get there early too. Me and my friend spent the first 2 hours or more just walking hole to hole really taking in what is golf heaven. I knew the place would be amazing but you don't get just HOW amazing until you are walking the course. One of the things that I didn't expect was how much elevation change there was. TV doesn't do that part of it justice at all. The course condition blew me away too. The fairways looked like several of my local courses greens lol. I also tried to find some of the iconic spots where players have hit unbelievable shots. Then proceed to just stand there thinking "How the **** did they pull that one off." Lol. One of the first ones I went for was Bubbas hook on 10 since we started walking the back first. If it hadn't actually happened and is known as one of "those" shots, no way I would believe that shot was even possible. My only other advice would be take plenty of pictures. As far as holes to hang out around, my personal favorites are 13,15, and 16. We were walking down 15 towards 16 when Rory aced it. Crazy how loud of a roar that was for a Monday practice round.

Edit: sorry for the long post that repeated most advice lol. This thread just brought back one of the most treasured memories I have and probably ever will have again.

Edit 2: Thought I would throw this in for a laugh. We were standing alongside the fairway at 15 maybe 70 yards from the water hazard in front of the green. The group was Spieth, JT, and Koepka. Koepka had played a lay up shot and was maybe 5 yards from the water. Looked like a pretty simple chip. He proceeded to absolutely chili dip the hell out of it about 6 yards into the water hazard. I tend to think out loud sometimes and I said "That looks like some **** I would do." The women in front of me turned around and died laughing. I thought I was about to get some sort of lecture but luckily they had a sense of humor lol

The best spot to sit with the most action (imo) is just behind the left side of 7 green. You can watch players play into 2 green. Tee off on 3. Hit into 7 green (duh). Tee off on 8. And sorta see what’s happening on 17. Very close to consessions and restrooms too!

This is correct. Was always on of our favorite spots. Also always liked the approach on #14.

I’ve only been able to get tickets to one practice round thanks to a friend and had a blast. Perfect weather. We got there early and stayed all day. It was really crowded. I did not buy many keepsakes and what’s strange is the thing i kept that puts a smile on my face is the plastic cups. I wish I would have kept more of those and bought nothing, LOL. I liked hanging out near No. 16 and the 14th tee. The range was awesome too. The stands at the range are a great place to rest from the hills. Wear comfortable hill climbing shoes!