Chasing the elusive eagle...

cmdrkean

You really need to ask Mikey73. He had five last year you know!

He was also a 12 cap last week, since then has improved to 3.

He has a special set of skills for sure.

I can improve from a 17 t playing like a 3 handicap for seven or eight holes sometimes. Never a full round, though. And not for a whole week. I am no Mikey for sure.

Mikey inspires us to be like him.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so illusive. I have 3 of them on Par 3s, 4 or 5 holed out on par 4's and 4 or 5 on Par 5s putting, a couple of them were chip ins from the fringe.

I tend to think it is more luck than anything else. There are so many factors involved in a ball going in the hole.

A while back I heard of a story where a guy was playing with Jack (yes golden bear Jack) and the guy had a 12 foot putt for eagle, the guy misses and Jack asked him if he knew why he missed? Jack then told him that he did not believe he was good enough to make eagle. Kind of goes back to a mindset that you have when playing.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

There's a lot of luck in both aces and hole-out eagles, for sure. But the kind where you reach a Par 5 green in two strokes or a Par 4 green with your tee shot are equal parts length and luck.

When your third shot to a Par 5 is with a 7-iron, there's no amount of luck in the world going to let you putt for eagle.

I've had 4 eagle putts within 15 feet. Haven't made one yet.

On a new course I have been playing lately there is a dogleg par 5 that with a good drive I can get within 190. It's only a matter of time :pimp:

We have a Par 5 like that and from my usual up tees my very, very best tee shot cutting the corner will leave me 180-something. I've been on that green in two strokes twice.

First time, year or two ago I reached from nearly 200 yards out and got the ball on the left edge of the green. Problem was, the hole was across the ridge all the way right. About an 80-foot putt for eagle. Three-putt par.

Then just last week I reached from about 185 and the ball on the right-center area of the green. Hole was on the left, basically exactly where my second shot landed that other time. This time still putting across the ridge but inside 40 feet. Slammed the eagle putt six feet past, lipped out the comebacker, another par.

Oh well, still beats hitting in the pond fronting the green and maybe double.

I have 5 eagles (playing for about 9 years now), and even though I am long enough to reach most par 5s in 2 (sub-standard WRXer, I know), I've only had 2 'traditional' eagles (2 shots to the green, eagle putt made). The other 3 were par 4 hole outs. Oddly, I have 2 hole outs on the same hole, 3 years apart. Golf is a funny game.

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

"Elusive." Sorry, couldn't take it any longer.

The last eagle I made was probably around 2011. But in 2013 I made an albatross. Golf is a funny game.

My home course has a very short and straight par 5 with water in front. Very reachable, even for a short knocker like me. It's totally in my head though. I usually hit my worst drive of the round on that hole because I'm thinking "3" instead of "fairway." And when I do hit a good drive there, my second shot is really doomed because now it's even more in my head when I'm only 210 or so out.

Play up a box for half your rounds, which I know might be a tall order if you play with a regular group. Maybe when you play rounds alone or get paired with someone that's playing from a shorter tee. The stats I'm sure would show that people aren't making a lot of eagles on par 5s by hitting 3 wood or hybrid to 10 feet. I think it's much more along the lines of 4 iron to 6 iron to 10 to 15 feet where the frequency of opportunities has to pan out over time. I played the white tees back in December with a group of seniors at a local course where I play a lot They wouldn't let me in the game without an active GHIN, but I still enjoyed the experience and 69 from the whites in my book is just as much fun as 76 from the blues. I was on or around every par 5 with an iron from the whites, and I'm not all that long off the tee. Those white tees would have been just under 6000.

Give yourself a few shots at making eagles the same way the pros do....driver, 6 iron. Or driver PW. If the pros feel like those eagles are legit, we should too.

You really need to ask Mikey73. He had five last year you know!

He was also a 12 cap last week, since then has improved to 3.

He has a special set of skills for sure.

I had a special set of skills last year, the solar eclipse year. I almost had an eagle this past Wednesday on a shorter par 4. Drove the green 260 yards and just missed the putt. I have a feeling I'm going to get another pretty soon!

I've had quite a few over the years, two in the last two months. One was a short par 4 wind behind us drove close to green and chipped in. The last one was a par 5 second shot lipped out as my partners were on the green, five inches for eagle.

Titleist TSR 3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6S
Titleist TSI 3 15 Ventus Velocore black 7S
Titleist TSI 19 Ventus Velocore 85X
Titleist T100s 5-P Modus 105
Tileist T100s 49 SM8 5812
2020 Scotty Cameron NP2 LaGolf

2022 Scotty Cameron X 7.5 Stability Tour
Titleist Pro V1X
Dos Equis Lager
Balls deep, Boom

I got my first Eagle on Wednesday after being away from the game for 5 years. It will always be memorable as it was the first Eagle I accomplished while golfing with my daughter who spawned the impetus to get back into the game. I do not play a round of golf without her.

The Eagle was completely luck (right bounce on the fairway for a drive 25 yards longer than average, a 3 iron to just off the green, and a 20 footer that never strayed from the ideal line the whole way), but it felt amazing just the same. Gave the ball to my daughter.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

First of the year yesterday.

Hole #9 hit a good three iron to about 15'. Hit putt right where I want it, lips on the high side.

Hole #11. Hit hybrid just a little long and right. Have a six or seven foot hump between me and a very fast downsloping, running away from me green. Figure to play it about five or six feet right of the pin and hope it trickles down towards it. Pull the pitch a bit, comes out low and left of where I'm aiming. Just clears the hump and I straight in the cup.

• 2 weeks later...

I put ally had my first Eagle yesterday while playing a round at the beach. I decided to go play Craft Farms late in the afternoon and basically had the whole course to myself. I hit driver on the 10th which is a 505 Par 5. I have been hitting it good all day by my standards, but hit it low on the face. The ball had to run out a decent bit because when I hit it well I carry it about 265-270. I had 187 to the hole which is a 6 iron for me, and I smoked it. It went over the geeen and landed on the fringe. I had probably a 20 footer than broke both ways. I left the flag in and the ball went all the way around the hole and finally dropped. The cart girl turned the corner as I was Tiger fist pumping and asked if everything was okay.... She understood why I was so happy and I went on to bogey the next 2 holes...

Does a 2 on a par 4 count? Is a par 4 that is only 250 years really a par 4? If Yes, then I've had one...haha Been close on par 5's, but only have had birdies...

Definitely counts.. Technically a hole in one on a par 3 is also an eagle.

I got one a couple of months back with a perfect long drive 270m perfect hybrid 200m and a perfect long 10 metre putt uphill with a small break to the left. Good for $25 on the day but haven't been close since.

The long approach is key and I've missed a few close ones even though I was 170m-180m out. :'(

not rare for me on Par 5's but haven't holed one out on a par 4. hit the pin a few times. one local muni i play quite often has some easy par 5's - with or without the down wind. 3 of them around the 460-490yrd range. I've eagled all of them. the shorter of the three is actually harder being the green rolls off if you don't stick it close.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

First eagle of the year last Saturday. Very nice drive, hybrid to about 2 feet made the putt. Missed the double eagle by 2 inches.

DavePelz4, knocking it on par 5s in 2 all over Chicagoland!! Nicely done DP!��

Did you guys get your season started this weekend?

Thank you Sir. The hole was downwind which certainly helped. We started last weekend. VNutz shot a 75 and played so nice. He has new Srixon irons and was just puring the ball. He actually had a hole where he missed a drive, had something like 220 to the green and hit it to about 5 feet. Probably the best ball striking round I've been privileged to watch of his.

Had my first eagle of the season today on a 477 yard par 5. Drive was pretty good, landed in the right rough. 168 front, 173 flag. 7 iron lands dead at the flag just on the front and kicks left and ends up about 8-9 feet. Pretty tough putt, left to right breaker on pretty slick greens. Drained it. Got me to one under on the back. Played 13-17 in even par then tripled 18 to shoot 77... gotta love golf.

My longest hole out for eagle was 113 yards... Still chasing that hole in one...

Haven't even come that close. My index over the last few years has been fluctuating between 4-7, I just don't hit it far enough to hit par 5's in 2 on my course and although I've had a lot of kick in birdies on par 4's they never look like they are "tracking" in.

Closest I've come is I pulled a Freddie Couples on one of our par 3's, that's something unique I could say I guess. For playing golf all my life it is incredibly frustrating.

First eagle of the year last Saturday. Very nice drive, hybrid to about 2 feet made the putt. Missed the double eagle by 2 inches.

Out of interest, why do Americans call it a double eagle rather than an Albatross? A double eagle (i.e. 2 time 2 under) is a 4 under score. You don't call an eagle a double birdie after all.....

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

Out of interest, why do Americans call it a double eagle rather than an Albatross? A double eagle (i.e. 2 time 2 under) is a 4 under score. You don't call an eagle a double birdie after all.....

For some reason I don't like the term albatross myself, and am used to the term double eagle. It is also called a "golden eagle" , probably after the Golden Bear Jack Nicklaus.

Illusive eagle ? Albatross, now that's illusive.

You're 35 and been playing this game for more than 2 decades, so assuming you're a decent golfer whom had been playing the game frequent enough to give yourself a chance to put some eagles in the bag.

Like birdies, the more you try and the more chance you give it, the more possible for it to come true.

I had been play this game longer than you, no HIO for me on the par 3's. Quite a few eagles on par 5 and a couple on par 4's. I can only say it does not overly excite me like the first few times I had it.

Par 3's ? A few near misses by inches but no hole in one for this golfer.

Keep at it, the only thing will stop you from getting an eagle is the lack of distance ( and/or luck ).

Unless an eagle actually means "one under birdie", in which case a double eagle would work as two under birdie. Even so, I don't understand the term either. :)

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Had my first "textbook" eagle on Wednesday, first time I hit a par 5 in 2 and made the putt. I've chipped in for eagle once before and hit a HIO but never had Driver-3W-Putt before.

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6