G400 MAX vs. G400 LST

ProjectX_Mizuno

Interested in this as well. I struggle with keeping my spin down and am happy with my G400 LST but could always use more forgiveness. Curious how much more spin the max generates. I could probably live with a few hundred revs more for the extra foregiveness but any more than that wouldn’t be worth the switch

It seems the G400 max is still pretty low spin and is around the same as the regular G400 if you compare the #s to YouTube reviews of the 2. I did notice a trend of ball speed being lower with the Max. But if you are looking to switch, pay the $15 most places charge to digital loft and go down a degree or so with the max. I’m thinking about switching also from the LST to the Max but I need to get my swing somewhat grooved before I demo. Thinking of ordering a G400 max lofted at 8* standard (7* degrees when I play it open).

Aeroburner tour issue 9.5 Aldila NL60tx
Aeroburner mini 14* tour issue Aldila NL70tx
Jetspeed Proto 18* Aldila NL80tx
Adams LSP 16* Aldila Tour Green 85tx
Rsi 2. 5-PW Aldila RIP 115s
Vokey TVD SM5 M grind 50*, 54* and 60*
Ping Ketsch heavy

I am really curious about this one too. I'm leaning towards the LST, but the MAX is getting a lot of good review and attention. Honestly I prefer the slightly smaller head, but if the the MAX outperforms the LST . . . Well then I'll be in quite a pickle . . .

Ping G400 LST 10* w/Matrix Reign Black G70T-X
PXG 0311-X Gen4 w/Tensei Pro White 100TX

Srixon ZX 20* w/ACCRA TZ5 100X
Srixon Z745 4-PW w/KBS C-Taper 125S+

Artisan Custom 51*S/55*DS/59*RDS w/DG S400 Tour Issue
Artisan Custom 0820 Mid Mallet *CHAMELEON*

From owning both the LST and currently owning the MAX (project x hzrdous yellow shaft), the max does spin a little higher, is just a tad more pingy sounding but is giving me darn near the same carry and total as the LST. With that being said I am spinning the max just under 3k which is pretty high so need to find a shaft to get it closer to mid 2,000 Or a little lower and I promise it will be beating the LST in carry for me. Both drivers are the best i have hit but I am having the best straightest drives with the MAX. It is seriously the most forgiving driver I have hit. I banged one high toe bad enough to feel the gear effect pretty good and it still carried further than what I looked up and thought it would. I'm a club hoe but driver will be in the bag for awhile once I get a lower spinning shaft. It's a bomber!

From owning both the LST and currently owning the MAX (project x hzrdous yellow shaft), the max does spin a little higher, is just a tad more pingy sounding but is giving me darn near the same carry and total as the LST. With that being said I am spinning the max just under 3k which is pretty high so need to find a shaft to get it closer to mid 2,000 Or a little lower and I promise it will be beating the LST in carry for me. Both drivers are the best i have hit but I am having the best straightest drives with the MAX. It is seriously the most forgiving driver I have hit. I banged one high toe bad enough to feel the gear effect pretty good and it still carried further than what I looked up and thought it would. I'm a club hoe but driver will be in the bag for awhile once I get a lower spinning shaft. It's a bomber!

I thought the Hzrdus yellow was already low spin....

That's what I thought and had one in an epic that gave me good spin numbers but in the MAX it's been different. Sometimes low spin low launch shafts aren't always the same in different drivers, at least for me it apparently has differed. I'm at a loss on what shaft to try next. Club Champion is opening in Nashville soon I believe, so I need to make a visit I guess. Although I just remembered that I can lower the loft a notch or 2 and maybe that will bring the spin down....

Currently have the LST with a Fujikura EVO III 661x in it. Decided to demo the max with my shaft and found the max to launch higher and have higher back spin compared to LST. But as others have said it is mich more forgiving. Tried the max 10.5* with a few different shafts to try to lower spin. Even took loft all the way down. This did lower the launch slightly and spin juat a tiny bit. Going to order the max in 9* and pair it with a Veylix 688 Rome x flex. I feel I can possibly give up a few yards if it means the extra forgiveness

Has anyone tried the 400 max with thd XTorsion Copper shaft compared to a previous experience or Demo with the Tour 65 or Alta 55?

I just got a 400 max with the XTorsion copper stiff. I got to play a very cold and wet early 9 Sunday morning with it. I've been playing a standard G400 which I tried several different shafts but the Alta stiff worked the best for me. Both heads are 10.5. Played my home course where I have close to 100 rounds and 4 of those back nine holes I can say that I have never been that far down the fairway. And it seems as close to a point and shoot I've ever put in play. I swing at 90-95 and can say so far this is the best driver combo I've ever hit.

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

the MAX is a high launching species. be prepared for that much I can tell you.

Yes, I tested the 10 (or 10.5 Max) and the lower-lofted model. The 10 does launch the ball high for me. But, high to me is like what you see with the tour guys. The better players I know here hit the same trajectory with their drivers. I will be ordering a 400Max soon.

That's what I thought and had one in an epic that gave me good spin numbers but in the MAX it's been different. Sometimes low spin low launch shafts aren't always the same in different drivers, at least for me it apparently has differed. I'm at a loss on what shaft to try next. Club Champion is opening in Nashville soon I believe, so I need to make a visit I guess. Although I just remembered that I can lower the loft a notch or 2 and maybe that will bring the spin down....

It should be different.

Low launch and spin or high launch and spin are a combination of shaft AND head.

The LST is the low launching low spinning head. The MAX, with its target audience of higher handicappers, should be a more forgiving, higher launching, higher spinning head.

Pairing it with a low/low shaft will bring the spin down, hopefully to manageable levels, but it still most likely won't reach the LST levels.

Pros are using the MAX because they CAN keep the launch/spin of the HEAD within their personal "windows". For us amateurs,,,,,,, it's more difficult to do.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

It should be different.

Low launch and spin or high launch and spin are a combination of shaft AND head.

The LST is the low launching low spinning head. The MAX, with its target audience of higher handicappers, should be a more forgiving, higher launching, higher spinning head.

Pairing it with a low/low shaft will bring the spin down, hopefully to manageable levels, but it still most likely won't reach the LST levels.

Pros are using the MAX because they CAN keep the launch/spin of the HEAD within their personal "windows". For us amateurs,,,,,,, it's more difficult to do.

Yeah I have since been back on a launch monitor and maybe it was that day and that swing but now I'm getting good spin numbers between 2100-2700 depending on strike location and AoA . Can confirm it's not longer but it is as long as the LST for me. The forgiveness it that of a Ping driver and it's awesome. I will post up some actual distance numbers once I get it on course a few times.

I've been testing the LST in 10 degrees, thinking of getting the standard 10.5 or max 10.5. I really like the sound and feel but would be on with a bit more spin to have added forgiveness and launch. Anyone wanting to swap their standard for a lst hit me up.

Titleist TSR3 9 Tensei 1K 70
Titleist TSR3 3w HZRDUS Blue 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

For me:

The max was better. Spin Rate was just as low as the LST but the launch and ball speed was slightly better which gave more carry and total distance. Max paired with a low launch low spin shaft is a great combo.

^^^

I agree 100%... hence the Max is in the bag and I'm hitting more fairways than I did with LST... and even picking up a yard or three in the process.

This club is actually taking strokes off my game - not because of length, but because it's straight and keeps me out of trouble!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Hello - I have the MAX with the XTorsion and also looking at the LST, but I swing at 90mph.

Will I see much of a benefit? Thank you

Hello any one? Thank you

I don't think there is any way any of us can positively answer this.... what are your current numbers with the Max? 90 mph is a very small piece of the puzzle. Are you looking to get your spin numbers down, launch down, more carry, better dispersion?? Hard to know what you are looking for against how your current Max plays.

I passed on the Max, didn't even try it... I know I know... but the thought of the sound being closer to the G/G30 was enough to put me off. I have played the G400 9* in the past with great results so I picked one up for the second go round... the ho'ing got the better part of me last time but I am looking to have a bag set for a while and the G400 is the one I think I trust the most for distance and forgiveness, plus feel/sound. I swing in the 105 area and the spin numbers with the regular G400 were fine, didn't feel I needed to attempt the LST and lose a bit of forgiveness. Hoping to get the results I was getting before.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

I actually ordered an M4 last week. I swing around 105 mph but suffer from very low spin, talking between 1000 to 1700 rpm... my bad strikes are in the hundreds. I have a positive angle of attack and get good results launching the ball 18 plus degrees. I'm have a nagging thought that I should have tried the g400 max for the high launch and maybe more spin than the m4. I'm going to go back to the store today and hit them both.

Does the g400 max really sound like a g30? My g30lst is really loud, and I love the idea of the g400 max, but have heard the sound is great with the reg g400.....

I have the g400 max and had the LST. I can attest that the g400Max is a little louder but by no means is it crazy loud. Just played a round with 2 guys that love Titleist and Callaway drivers and they commented how they love the sound of the Max... To me its not G30 loud but not regular g400 muted, maybe between the two. That's my opinion but have heard both sides too. The driver is well worth the so called "sound!'' My swing speed hovers right at 106-111 in that area.

Does the g400 max really sound like a g30? My g30lst is really loud, and I love the idea of the g400 max, but have heard the sound is great with the reg g400.....

To me, Max sound falls in between G and G400... nowhere near G30.

I love sound/feel of G400... but I really love the performance of the Max and it’s well worth the small sacrifice of sound. Plus I actually like the lively feel of the Max face.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Hit them both with Hzdrus black (my current gamer shaft) and the LST had better results. Max sound is a little bit of a turn off.

Ping G425 LST 9 Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec
Ping G425 LST 3 wood KBS TD Cat 4 
G 410 17 Hybrid KBS Proto 75X
PXG Gen2 0311T MMT 80
Vokey SM6 48F-50F-58L
Lajosi DD201