Titleist AVX golf balls

casamarina

The shallow 6 sided dimples is new for Titleist as I understand it and the larger dimple size is very similar to Bridgestone. As you had mentioned in an earlier post, you no longer need to do much of a compensation for wind with your iron game, that is something the Bridgestone players have been enjoying for several years and is associated with the shallow, large 6 sided dimples. As you and I know very well, the ProV1 and the ProV1X are not stable in the wind when compared to Bridgestone, TaylorMade or Srixon, but the new AVX will be improving on the ProV1 experience. Hitting short irons into the wind with ProV1X is a recipe for serious backspin and difficultly keeping the ball close to where it lands. More club with a slower speed is critical for that type of shot, but it shouldn’t be needed with the AVX. I think ProV1X players will move to the AVX ball in significant numbers while thinking Titleist has really come up with something, while many Bridgestone, Srixon and TaylorMade customers have enjoyed that performance for several iterations.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still trying to sort out how the AVX works for me. Have played it a handful of rounds this winter, and not overly impressed. I'm on the shorter side of the distance/swing-speed spectrum, and have been playing the Bridgestone RXS for 4+ years. I like how the AVX performs everywhere outside of 90 yards, but it just doesn't seem to have any spin to check on a less-than-full swing. i really want to like this ball, but can't trade the control, as I spend enough time grinding to get up & down for pars...

Haven't had the chance to play any of the new Bridgestones yet.

Any other RXS guys feel similar? My buddies that have played the AVX are all V1/V1X guys and don't seem to notice much difference.

The three balls I've played for extended periods of time during the past few years are B330 (not S, not RX, not RXS) and ProV1x and AVX. On short game shots of 20-60 yards I'd rank them as ProV1x spins most, B330 very slightly less and AVX noticeably less than either but not to an extreme.

If I had a scale of 1-10 for how quickly a ball will check up on pitch shots, with ProV1x at 10 and something like a Velocity/Pinnacle Gold/e6 at 1 then I'd say B330 was about a 9.5 and AVX maybe a 6 or 7. Something like a Supersoft/Trusoft would be around 3 or 4.

Given that I almost never expect a short-game shot to completely stop dead in its tracks, the AVX is acceptable in that regard for me. But kinda borderline, if I'm honest.

The three balls I've played for extended periods of time during the past few years are B330 (not S, not RX, not RXS) and ProV1x and AVX. On short game shots of 20-60 yards I'd rank them as ProV1x spins most, B330 very slightly less and AVX noticeably less than either but not to an extreme.

If I had a scale of 1-10 for how quickly a ball will check up on pitch shots, with ProV1x at 10 and something like a Velocity/Pinnacle Gold/e6 at 1 then I'd say B330 was about a 9.5 and AVX maybe a 6 or 7. Something like a Supersoft/Trusoft would be around 3 or 4.

Given that I almost never expect a short-game shot to completely stop dead in its tracks, the AVX is acceptable in that regard for me. But kinda borderline, if I'm honest.

Thanks for the info. Pretty much mirrors what I'm seeing with spin on shorter shots, except I'd put the RXS in the 9-10 range with V1X at 7 or 8 & AVX at 5 or below.

After playing several rounds with AVX (including my personal best round ever in the second of those round) and seeing a marked difference in what clubs I played into Par 4 greens I was tempted to switch from ProV1x which has long been my favorite ball.

I spent an afternoon comparing AVX and ProV1x side-by-side from tee to green and especially within 60 yards of the green to confirm I wasn't giving up anything substantial in the short game, then switched. So yeah, for me every AVX ball I use costs Titleist one ball of ProV1x sales.

The real thing is Titleist is still keeping market share whether it is the Pro v1 , Pro V1X or the AVX. So they are not concerned about what ball is being sold as long as the are selling golf balls. At the very least a winner for Titleist no matter how you look at it.

Gil Leonard

• 2 weeks later...

Any insight on to when these will be released nationally, outside of the current test markets?? Just returned from Florida last week, I know they are one of the test areas, and they were readily available at just about every pro shop or retail store.

1 May is the target.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I wish the 4 dozen for the price of 3 deals were available for these like they are for the Pro v1s.

PXG Gen2 0811XF LIN-Q Purple stiff

Mizuno STX 5W Fujikura Motore F3 70 stiff

Ping G425 4H Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 reg

PXG Gen 3 P 5-AW Accra i80 stiff

PXG  Forged 55* Accra i80 stiff

Cleveland CBX 2 Full Face 60* * 64*

PXG One & Done P2 Reflex Tour grip

Golf Pride Microsuede

I've heard rumors of a new Titleist ball coming out this year called True Soft, maybe it's the AVX rebranded?

The Tour Soft is the replacement of the old NXT Tour line.

Titleist TSR3 8* - Graphite Design IZ X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX X

Titleist T200 3i - Fujikura Ventus Black 8 TX

Titleist 680 CB 4-PW - True Temper DG Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*/54*/58* True Temper DG Tour Issue S300

Scotty Cameron JetSet Newport 2

~ Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you deal with it ~

• 3 months later...

I could see them getting rid of them. Played a few holes with one and was not a fan. Still have a whole sleeve. The price point is the worst part of all for them.

To get folks away from the Prov line is a feat. I have been on the Chrome soft X myself but played a Pro V today and then I'll be going back.

up here in canada, the issue is price point! its actually more expensive then prov's ???

the other point is what others have brought up ...is this a distance ball or is the a feel ball that supposed to replace the nxt or the velocity ball?. The marketing is stupid on for this ball.

...its too bad though, the price point for me is the ultimate issue. Its the reason why I haven't bought any to try yet, especially when just a couple of weeks ago we could of bought srizon z stars for $20.00 and when we can still buy last year's chrome soft and chrome soft x for 40.00 cdn...

why would I buy this ball ?

what gives titleist...if this is a distance ball then lower the price to a reasonable level, say DT or Velocity price point and get more people to try the ball, if you truly believe in the ball tech and want to keep it around.

It is quite obviously a ball VERY similar to ProV1 and ProV1x.

Similar construction, similar performance except slightly lower flight off the driver and significantly less spin with mid and long irons.

And it is priced like ProV1 and ProV1x, vagaries of Canadian distribution aside.

It is a low flight, low iron spin version of a Titleist “Tour” ball. Not meant to be like Velocity or Tour Soft at all.

It's a lower spinning, lower launching version of the current ProV1/X lineup.

In my eyes, it's what the V1X was meant to be.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

Lower trajectory (flight) due to dimple design. Not lower launching.

The early iterations of ProV1x were meant to have lower DRIVER spin (presumably because the 4-layer ProV1x had better spin separation than the 3-layer ProV1).

Then they figured out how to get ProV1’s driver spin almost as low as ProV1x in the later versions.

AVX does not have significantly lower driver spin than the other two models. It specifically has lower IRON spin. Similar driver and short game spin to ProV1/ProV1x, lower iron spin, lower flight due to dimple design. That’s what all the launch monitor testing shows and what most AVX users are seeing.

The early iterations of ProV1x were meant to have lower DRIVER spin (presumably because the 4-layer ProV1x had better spin separation than the 3-layer ProV1).

Then they figured out how to get ProV1’s driver spin almost as low as ProV1x in the later versions.

AVX does not have significantly lower driver spin than the other two models. It specifically has lower IRON spin. Similar driver and short game spin to ProV1/ProV1x, lower iron spin, lower flight due to dimple design. That’s what all the launch monitor testing shows and what most AVX users are seeing.

It does seem to be lower launching too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so85EmHYVzM"]http://www.youtube....h?v=so85EmHYVzM

It does seem to be lower launching too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so85EmHYVzM"]http://www.youtube....h?v=so85EmHYVzM

Just a little bit (0.8 degrees) but yes, for them it was slightly lower launching. Other YouTube launch monitor sessions I've seen see more similar driver launch between AVX and ProV1x, etc.

I'll still say the difference in downrange height of trajectory is far more than 8% (0.8 degrees is about 8% of a 10 degree launch angle). For me the AVX probably flies something like three-quarters as high as ProV1x. Whatever small differences there are at initial launch are washed out by the large effect of the aerodynamic design.

I wish more of these online and YouTube comparisons would use an outdoor Trackman to get actual peak height and descent angles.

• 4 weeks later...

The AVX checks up on pitch shots better than the ProV and ProV1X for me. Not sure about the bad reviews there. Run out from those two is what made me start playing Chrome Soft. That and the CS has better feel. Full iron shots with AVX stopped just as quickly as ProV also. Had full pitching wedges spin back 15-20 feet twice yesterday. Flight is great and it's just a little firmer than the new Chrome Soft, which is perfect for me. ProV's are overrated in my opinion since Srixon and Callaway have improved theirs, but I like this AVX.

I have switched to the AVX. Was playing Srixon XV, but had some odd "dead" ball experiences. AVX is longer with irons for me and punches through the wind very well. More rollout with driver, 3W, and hybrids. Stopping spin is good enough for me. I don't want to spin back wedges anyway and get much greater control in the wind with the reduced spin. Finally it is yellow so I can see it. No real downside for me except 2 1/2 dozen XVs in the closet destined to be practice balls.

I have switched to the AVX. Was playing Srixon XV, but had some odd "dead" ball experiences. AVX is longer with irons for me and punches through the wind very well. More rollout with driver, 3W, and hybrids. Stopping spin is good enough for me. I don't want to spin back wedges anyway and get much greater control in the wind with the reduced spin. Finally it is yellow so I can see it. No real downside for me except 2 1/2 dozen XVs in the closet destined to be practice balls.

wanna trade for some nike RZN blacks?

Not really a Nike fan and these are personalized. You might not want a ball with STEPH on it.

Not really a Nike fan and these are personalized. You might not want a ball with STEPH on it.

I'm not a nike fan either. I made a mistake purchasing the balls when they went on sale...

Found an AVX last week and gamed it for about 12 holes. I really thought it might have been my favirite ball ever to be honest. Straighter and longer then my usual ProV1. I felt it was 5 to 7 yards longer. Dont carry driver so no idea in that department. Gave it to my buddy in the pro shop to try after my round so I didnt get enough time to play with spin around greens , but nothing negative to say from what little time we had together.

Buddy played it the next day and loved it. Bought some for the shop since they didnt carry them. Gaming new irons today which are a club longer then my ood Eye2s. Maybe Ill pick up a sleeve to see if I can gain 2 clubs....??? Hmmm