WITB for bcflyguy1: all the 2021 clubs are in!

How are you blending the pro and MB sets? Also, how do you feel about the rather generous gap in your set 1 between PW and the 54? I am thinking about going back to 3 wedge but the gaps would be huge

Pro 3 iron: 21*

Pro 4 iron: 24*

Pro 5 iron: 27*

MB 6 iron: 31*

MB 7 iron: 35*

MB 8 iron: 39*

MB 9 iron: 43*

MB PW: 48*

I had the lofts on the MB's bent 1* weak to get this progression, and so far it's working out quite well. What helps most to make this set-up playable is that the MB PW has been very easy to gear down to hit shorter numbers that are too long for the SW, and same for the SW when I get a number that is too long for the LW.

I take a fair amount of stick from guys in my regular money game because I'm a 1/2 to 1 club shorter than what I used to be...but they're not laughing when they owe me at the end of the day. :partytime2:

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

How are you blending the pro and MB sets? Also, how do you feel about the rather generous gap in your set 1 between PW and the 54? I am thinking about going back to 3 wedge but the gaps would be huge

Pro 3 iron: 21*

Pro 4 iron: 24*

Pro 5 iron: 27*

MB 6 iron: 31*

MB 7 iron: 35*

MB 8 iron: 39*

MB 9 iron: 43*

MB PW: 48*

I had the lofts on the MB's bent 1* weak to get this progression, and so far it's working out quite well. What helps most to make this set-up playable is that the MB PW has been very easy to gear down to hit shorter numbers that are too long for the SW, and same for the SW when I get a number that is too long for the LW.

I take a fair amount of stick from guys in my regular money game because I'm a 1/2 to 1 club shorter than what I used to be...but they're not laughing when they owe me at the end of the day. :partytime2:

Your a couple degrees away from tiger lofts! I have the x-forged currently and I really want to do 8 - PW in the MB's. Don't need to but they are just so beautiful....I probably don't need to add another long club since I'll rarely use it but sometimes I feel like four wedges just gets me overthinking things. But that does make sense, I normally don't gear down my PW very often, but would in a setup like yours.

Ball testing:

Been pretty forthright about my loathing of the Chrome Soft since it was released. Soft feel is not a bad thing, but you can certainly have too much of a good thing. The odd feel and it's propensity to produce nuclear flyers made it completely unplayable for me. However, the '18 version has caught my attention with how much it has been improved and I saw further evidence of that Saturday. Playing the 18th at my home club on Saturday which is a slight dogleg left par 5 with about a 15 mph tail wind off the right. Pushed the drive enough to get into the right rough and ended up with 179 to the pin and wind now directly behind. The lie looked suspiciously jumpy, and I thought "this is exactly the situation where previous versions of CS would let me down so let's see what happens here." Chose 9 iron and put a great swing on it, and while the ball launched out high as I'd hoped I could see it didn't have the driver-like rainbow trajectory that a flyer has. Ball pitched a foot away from the hole short and left and finished 5 feet away. That was about as stern of a test of the area of performance that concerned me the most about CS, and it passed impressively. I will give the '18 CSX a run for the bag, but the CS is going to be a very tough out. Really impressive how much Callaway has been able to improve the consistency of this version of CS over the previous ones.

Shoes:

So glad I made the switch to the LCV2. Remind me a lot of the SP-8 TW from about 11 years ago, which is still my favorite golf shoe ever.

WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...

The work my coach and I have been putting in on the mental game is really coming good of late. We've worked on a concept called the "feel trigger", which when done well essentially squelches the conscious thinking side of the brain. This has been a tremendous help to me as I've struggled to get out of my own way since taking up the game. Yesterday I was able to put that work together for a whole round and shot a -8 64 (7 birds and an eagle against one bogey) which was a PR by 4 shots. Best part is that I can see where there's room to go even lower than that and to play that level of golf on a consistent basis. Encouraged because the pins on my home course were set in some tough spots and the wind was up and gusting, but played exceptionally well anyway.

New putter recently went in the bag. Even though I've had success with the PT #2, I've always gravitated to face balanced putters as I don't care for the feel of toe hang putters as they tend to sort of fight the release. My putting stroke has never been one that involved an aggressive release, and the face-balanced D-shape mallet #5 seems to have the perfect balance.

Continue to be so impressed with how much the '18 Chrome Soft has been improved over previous versions. I heard the term "heavy flight" used to describe the performance of ProV1, and for me that's an accurate descriptor of the new Chrome Soft. Feels very light off the club face, but flies "heavy". Off the milled face of the PT putters, it feels wonderful.

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

Highest compliment I can pay to the Rogue fairway woods is that the spot in my bag that has historically been a liability is rapidly becoming my favorite club in the bag. So much so, in fact, that I may end up playing rounds around my home track without a driver because the Rogue 3+ is that good and that insanely long. Played 18 Tuesday afternoon, and on a whim decided to try the "Stenson Experiment" by leaving driver in the trunk. Hit the fairway with every 3W and reached distances that were at times just silly.

First shot with it was on the 520 par 5 3rd where I had 225 in.

360 yd par 4 4th I had 65 to the flag.

410 yd par 4 7th had 130 in.

420 yd Par 4 8th had 130 in.

500 yd par 5 9th had 210 in.

380 yd uphill par 4 11th had 100 in.

520 yd downwind par 5 12th had 215 in.

280 yd par 4 14th had 95 in.

405 yd downwind par 4 15th had 95 in.

440 yd. uphill par 4 17th had 170 in.

485 yd. upwind par 5 18th...had 180 in.

Just absurd how long this club is and yet it looks, feels and sounds as good as anything. 3 observations from that round:

1. The SuperSpeed training work is paying dividends already.

2. The Rogue FW's are silly good.

3. Now I better understand why Stenson does what he does.

WITB Link

• 1 month later...

The Rogue fairway is ridiculously good. It feels and looks great too.

Any pics of the bag? I went 4-pw Apex MBs but just ordered a 4 and 5 Apex Pro 16 to get some forgiveness at the top of the bag.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I do need to get some pics up, you're right. I changed home clubs recently where the playing conditions are quite different than my old club, even though they're a less than ten minute drive from each other. The different short game conditions have forced me to experiment with some different ideas in wedges, and that experiment is still going on. I'll update the first page with what's currently in play, and likely get some pictures posted soon

WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...

I have been insanely impressed with the 2018 Chrome Soft. It seems longer and straighter than the ProV or the Bstone I have been playing forever. I'm debating about just spending all proshop credit I have and just getting a cabinet full of them.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

It is really good. I do still occasionally find it to be a bit lacking in short game spin, but it's definitely the best iteration of the CS by a wide margin.

WITB Link

• 6 months later...

So I've been able to do enough testing to get my 2019 bag set, now the wait for the stuff to actually get here commences.

Driver: Epic Flash 10.5* with HZRDUS Yellow 6X. The Subzero version looks so good at address that I nearly chose it, but my typical driver miss being to the right and the fact that I don't spin the driver a ton meant that the standard version made too much sense to pass up. Tough to quantify, but I see the Flash as another improvement in performance on less than perfect strikes.

3 Wood: Epic Flash 13.5* with HZRDUS Yellow 7X. The Flash driver gets all the attention, but the FW is even more impressive for me.

Hybrid: Big Bertha 18* 3 Hybrid with EvenFlow Black 85X. Like the Flash FW, this is an overlooked gem. Just gets the job done over and over again and takes the stress out of the weakest part of my game.

3 thru 9 iron: 2019 Apex stamped 4 thru PW with True Temper AMT White S300 hard stepped once. Due to the Apex lofts being what they are, I ordered these at lengths and lie angles that virtually make them one more club than they are stamped. I end up with an iron set with very traditional lofts ranging from 21* to 43*.

PW: MD4 Chrome 48-10S with Dynamic Gold S400. This completes what is essentially a classically lofted 3-PW iron set

SW: MD4 Chrome 54-8C with Dynamic Gold S400. I joined a new club last year where the bunkers are firm enough that sliding under the ball without catching it can be tricky, so this narrow and low bounce sole is a must.

LW: PM Grind 2.0 60-12 with KBS Hi-Rev 2.0. While the bunkers demand low bounce, the green surrounds at my club favor more bounce for chips and pitches so this wedge goes in.

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab R Ball. Will see if this can bounce out the naked VERSA #2.

Ball: Chrome Soft X

WITB Link

• 1 month later...

The combination of me being down a little bit of speed (not sure why, and working like crazy to get it fixed) and the long term adjustments my coach and I have been making in my swing have resulted in my needing to look at a pretty different shaft profile in my driver and 3 wood this year. In the driver, I tried Rogue Silver 60X, Diamana Ahina 60X, and HZRDUS Yellow 63X and all just didn't feel quite right at impact in the Epic Flash head. So after having some great results from trying a Tensei AV Blue 75X in the Flash 3 wood, I decided to give the Tensei AV Blue 65X a run-out to see if a slightly softer tip would help my strike patterns and give me a less dead and brittle feel at impact. So far, it's done exactly what I'd hoped. Much more explosive feel of release of energy at impact, strike patterns are much improved, and I'm producing the shot shapes that I want much more often without feeling like I'm having to wrestle with the shaft and force it to do something it has its own ideas about. Having not had much experience (and never particularly liking) the MCA Blue profile shafts, this has been a big but very pleasant surprise.

So far, the Apex '19 irons with the 48* MD4 PW are a smashing success. Distance gaps, spin rates, and apex heights are all right in an optimized window and the decision to go with AMT White S300 hard stepped was an inspired one. The slightly softer shaft feel has lessened my tendency to get quick, which leads to every awful shot you can think of.

WITB Link

• 4 months later...

Quick update on what's in play this year:

Driver: Rogue 9* set D/S with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5 flex. Something about the sound/feel of the Flash just put me off, and I always got on really well with the standard Rogue so it's back in.

Fairway Wood: Epic Flash 13.5* set D/S with HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 flex.

Hybrid: Big Bertha '19 set D/S with Evenflow Black 85 6.5 flex. It may look like Fred Flintstones big toe, but this thing just consistently delivers the goods.

The iron and wedge set-up has worked exactly as hoped.

The naked Versa #2 never really got bumped by the Stroke Lab R Ball. The R Ball will come out when greens have been aerated or something, but that's it.

Ball: Z-Star Yellow (for the moment, at least)

Shoe: FJ Fury; they have a bit of a "grandpa's tennis shoes" vibe about them, but can't argue with the performance and comfort.

WITB Link

> @"Andrew M" said:

> I enjoy reading about your bag! And it's reassuring to read that your speed training has been working... Nice Callaway sticks.

Cheers, thanks for that. The SuperSpeed training sticks are the real deal. Not exaggerating when I say that 7 guys in my regular game have picked up sets since asking me about them and all have been helped by them.

WITB Link

• 5 months later...

2020 setup coming soon:

Mavrik SZ driver

Mavrik SZ fairway wood

2 Super Hybrids

Apex Pro 4 and 5 irons

Apex MB 6 thru PW

MD5 wedges

Stroke Lab 10 S putter

Chrome Soft Diamond X ball

WITB Link

• 4 weeks later...

2020 sticks went in the bag today. Probably getting rained out tomorrow and get to see a former player commission into the USMC on Saturday, so hoping to give them a shakedown on Sunday.

WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

very interesting to hear about the Chrome Soft Diamond X... i wonder if they are going to do the same thing for the 2020 Chrome Soft...

TITLEIST TS3 10.5°

TITLEIST 915F 16.5°

TITLEIST 818 H1 21°

TITLEIST U500 4i

TITLEIST T100S 5-PW

TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48.10F/54.10F/58.08M

ODYSSEY WHITE HOT OG V-LINE

TITLEIST PRO V1

Can't tell you how badly I want Callaway to come back out with a true X type ball again. I know why they went the whole Chrome Soft route; they had to make their golf ball appreciably different than the market leader to make any kind of inroad in that sector of the market. But for me, the CS series is a step backward in performance from balls like SR3, Hex Black, Chrome + etc. etc. I want the firmest, fastest, spinniest ball you can give me, and to find that I've had to play with other brands. The Phil Ball that came to retail with triple track on it was a step in the right direction, but I found the Triple Track markings to be too visually distracting to play all the time.

WITB Link

• bcflyguy1 changed the title to WITB for bcflyguy1: all the 2021 clubs are in!