For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

joey3108

General questionnaire ( A must for all fitting) :

How often you play in a month? 3-4

How often you practice in a month? probably 4-5 range visits in a month on lunch during the season

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency. --- probably around a 7

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 6.4 GHIN

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? --- Mid/Low Irons and Putter

Driver fitting questionnaire:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please. Loft 8.25 -- X Flex Speeder 661 Evolution - 45 inch -- dont know swing weight

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? I tend to be on the quicker side

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability? 7ish on consistency - i think i hit towards center/center toe fairly regularly. Dont miss on heel too much

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? trying to really decide between 2 shafts i have currently or if i should try something different. I am trying to work on my AOA because i know its steep but i have a lot of trouble flattening out so i'm not sure if any other shaft out there might help me.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST! DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE LM DATA.

averages from recent session with same shaft in different flexes. i removed a few bad misses to try to narrow them down to more normal shots - i dont think im swinging that well right now

PXG 0811X driver

10 shots -- 8.25 LOFT X - weights in draw position (at this point i had hit probably 40-50 balls)

BS 162.2 / SS 108.1 / SPIN 3091 / Smash 1.5 / Carry 262 / Total 286 / Launch 8.9 / Side 1.1 R / AOA -3

8 shots - 8.25 LOFT X -- weight forward for lower spin

BS 161.4 / SS 108.7 / SPIN 2896 / Smash 1.49 / Cary 265 / Total 289 / Launch 9.9 / Side 38.9 R / AOA -2.9

8 shots - 8.25 LOFT STIFF - weight forward for lower spin

BS 159 / SS 107.6 / SPIN 2974 / Smash 1.48 / Cary 261 / Total 283.6 / Launch 11.5 / Side 43.5 R / AOA -2.8

6 shots - 9 LOFT X -- weight forward

BS 158.9 / SS 107 / SPIN 3993 / Smash 1.49 / Cary 251 / Total 264 / Launch 11.3 / Side 10.3 R / AOA -2.5

5 shots - 9 LOFT Stiff - weight forward (first shots of session)

BS 156.3 / SS 105.6 / SPIN 3666 / Smash 1.48 / Cary 249.6 / Total 265.8 / Launch 11.3 / Side 9.5 R / AOA -2.6

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? If i get quick i snap hook it but my normal miss is out to the right.

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? baby draw

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? High - Draw

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? mid-atlantic - courses tend to not have a lot of roll so a lot of times my drivers will hit and stop without much roll

11. Body build and postures? height? etc. 5'9" about 190lbs - average build i would say - neutral posture

12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) Med-Lg glove - dont have any kind of measure around me so -- on a sleeve of pro v's wrist to bottom of longest finger just up to #1 ball in golf on the front lol .... longest finger from bottom of box to right tip of O in golf on side of box

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? honestly no clue.

14. etc. The more the better it become.

Answer: launch monitor numbers only told me that mostly you need to see your swing Coach to fix your swing plane and attack angle to launch the ball higher and lower the spins. You might need to change to a lower spin shaft... But this is not the main problem. Happy golfing.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How often you play in a month?

3-4 times / month

How often you practice in a month?

10-12 times / month

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency.

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using?

9 EGA

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter?

Putter

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc )

Ping G SF Tec, 10º set to 9. Shaft Ping Tour 65X. Grip Lamkin crossline oversize.

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? Fast tempo, heavy loader.

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? Around 8.5.

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up Ultra low spin.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM?Trackman:

Current driver: https://imageshack.us/i/pnXC5erXp

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up Higher launch, higher spin

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? High slice when I get quick but the driver has nothing to do with it. Those are bad swings.

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? Fade or pretty straight shot, mid launch

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade I like to play a fade because it's more controllable. Can work the ball and play a draw if necessary.

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from

Madrid, Spain. Fluffy fairways during winter, very hot, firm fairways on summer.

11. Body build and postures? height? etc.: 5’10”. Athletic. Regular driver posture.

12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) Large glove , 3.5" finger , 8" hand , right handed

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? I look a little like JB Holmes, would like to look like Rory. xD

Answer: you might wanna to redo your launch monitor session to get a better more accurate data. I don't think your data are correct imo. Happy golfing!

• 2 weeks later...

1. Existing Driver Specifications:
    • Titleist 915d2
    • Matrix Xcon6
    • Stiff Flex
    • D6 Swing Weight
    • 45" Play Length

• What type of swinger am I?
    • Not sure how to answer this….I can upload a video if this will help

[*]On a scale of 1-10, how consistent is my swing?

• 3-4? Been out of the sport for a long time.

[*]What is my striking ability?

• It’s not as good as it could be…but I’m working to get back to where I was in high school/college

[*]What is the problem with my existing I also would like a shaft that will let me get the ball launched a little higher.

[*]Have you ever had a launch monitor session before?

• No….unless Dick’s counts. 109-110 swing speed. Average 265 carry. Average launch angle 13.2°.

[*]What am I trying to change or achieve with my new setup?

• Consistency, distance, accuracy….I WANT IT ALL

[*]What is my shot tendency and where do I miss the ball?

• Always towards the toe. I think it’s just a function of my back swing being way too long (according to facebook…so it’s got to be 100% accurate!)
  • I have a slight slice sometimes too

[*]Ideal ball flight?

• I’d like to hit to hit it high, long, and mostly straight. I don’t need to have a slight fade (I wish) but I’d love to at least defeat some of the slice.

[*]What type of course conditions do I play? Where am I located?

• 99% of the time I play public courses around the greater Lenoir/Hickory area of North Carolina.

[*]What is my glove size? What is the length of my wrist to the longest finger and the length of my longest finger.

• Glove Size: Cadet Large I think?
  • Wrist to Finger: 4”
  • Length of Middle Finger: 3”

[*]If I have to be honest, who does my swing look like on tour, or who do I want it to look like?

• I have no idea….don’t have cable, and there’s no golf on Netflix………

[*]Etc…

• I like turtles.

Updated after hitting on a monitor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

New forum member here and I must say, this might be one of the most informative forums I have ever explored.

My backstory- Played competitive golf from age 10 up to age 22. Played sporadically the last 8 years and really didn't play much at all for the last three.Just recently recommitted myself to the game last fall and after a few trips to the simulators this winter (Western New York resident) I have noticed my clubs are no longer appropriate for my swing. The irons have been fitted but I would like some suggestions and assistance with the driver. Thanks in advance.

1. What is the club existing set up?

Completely stock TM SLDR stock stiff flex shaft set at 10.5

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader?

Smoothish tempo with heavy lag

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking abilily?

Getting back to being between 8-9

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?

Shaft is wrong flex leading to loss of distance and inconsistency. Shots can be low left smothers all the way to ballooning little cuts

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)?

swing speed: 109-111

launch angle: 13.5-15.5

ball speed: 160ish

spin rate: 3500-3800

Swing path: Inside to out ~4*

Attack angle: +1.0 ish

side spins : 400-800 rpms

Regain some lost distance as well improve accuracy

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?

Pull draws (recently attributed to shaft head combo for my irons) Miss-hits tend to be a little on the toe

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?

Slight push draw

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade?

Lowish Draw

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Western New York, my club plays tight with very small greens but traditional heavily wooded course layout

11. Body build and postures? height? etc.

Approximately 5'8" 155 lbs

12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer)

No glove but Right handed and length of wrist to finger tip is 7 1/4"

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?

Luke Donald

Admittedly, some of the distance loss is from being less flexible with less rotation. Currently working on that issue also via yoga and golf based workouts. Irons were just fitted from DG S300 to Project X 6.5's which decreased my 6 iron dispersion by about 50-60%ANSWER: High to midhigh kick point shaft stiffer tip profile with lower spins X flex. Angle of attack need to more accending.

How often you play in a month? We have 4 of 5 months of no course play, so I hit the golf dome every couple weeks during that time, but during the summer months, I play about 5 to 10 times per month

How often you practice in a month? About 20 range/9 hole practice rounds

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency. About a 6

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 4.5, GHIN

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Mediocre at everything, putting being above average

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please. 2016 M2, AD IZ 6s, 10.5 degree, 45.5 length

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? Smooth, deliberate tempo

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability? About a 6

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? Would like to possibly get more distance and get rid of the quick left hook.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST! DO NOT POST IF YOU DON'T HAVE A COMPLETE LM DATA.

I personally own a FlightScope MEVO. I have hit around 300 shots with it and it seems very accurate, especially with the driver. I think other than the driver, it seems to be about 5 yards (carry) on the low side, but driver seems very accurate. Here is my last session with the driver:

9Ijmj3f.png

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? As you can see, I am a high ball player. That is not just with the driver, that is with all clubs. I also tend to spin the ball a bit higher with the driver. I realize that the new "thing" is to get that launch angle up and spin down, but I cant seem to get the spin down even with lower spin shafts. I have an M3 440 9* in the mail to try and get the spin and launch even lower.

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? Misses tend to be low on the face. I have the quick hook and the occasion high fade/flair to the right. I previous gamed all X stiff in my woods and hybrids and that essentially eliminates the left side of the course for me, but I was losing distance not being able to load the shafts properly

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? High and straight. starts high and just seems to peak WAY too high

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? I dont really have a choice on flight, I almost physically cant hit a low ball, especially off the tee. I can hit either a draw or fade, I am comfortable with both

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Mostly dry, I live in upstate NY

11. Body build and postures? height? etc. Average to skinny. 5'11", 170 pounds

12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) Cadet medium large

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? I hate my swing so its hard to answer that question, but its efficient. Maybe Kyle Stanley?

With a 106ish clubhead speed, I feel like there is more that I can get. I understand that carry 255ish is pretty good, but with my peak high, spin and launch being so high, I feel like there is room for improvement.Answer:The right shaft with lower loft and sub flex S/X should do the job!

I like golf. A lot.

• 3 weeks later...

General Fitting Questionnaire:

How often you play in a month?

Weekly / 4 times a month

How often you practice in a month?

3 nights a week in my basement with a net / r-motion golf + a few range sessions a month

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency.

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using?

13.0 index GHIN

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter?

In general I'm pretty well rounded, but irons are probably my most consistent component of my game

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please.

Taylormade M2 - 10.5 degrees

Matrix Black Tie 70M4 - X-Stiff

D4

44.5"

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader?

I believe I have a quicker tempo, definitely not what I would characterize as smooth

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability?

I would say around a 6 with a driver, but much more consistent with irons / hybrids

I'm nervous my shaft is a little too stiff and leading to inconsistency. I've shortened my driver shaft to 44.5". I naturally hit a draw, but have been trying to play a power fade for consistency and it's helped. In general I have some work to do on my driver swing, but I want to eliminate the shaft / setup as a major concern.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before?

Below is from a VERY abbreviated session on a GC2 at a box store. Despite the outliers a few of those hits are very representative of my norm which I tried to characterize above the picture.

Path = 4 degrees in-to-out

Swing Speed = 106ish with 44.5" / 111ish with 45.5"

Launch Angle = 14-15 degrees

1) Consistency

2) Distance / Carry

3) Higher flight?

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?

My miss tends to be a pull hook. I used to block the ball pretty badly, but that has largely been resolved by getting a better hip turn and with grip. In general I don't have a consistent miss on the face that I know of.

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?.

I have been trying to bring my ball flight down with my irons and did so by changing my shafts to Project X 6.0 from an S300 which ballooned on me. I also have a natural right to left ball flight with nearly all of my clubs.

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade?

I have a natural draw when setup square. With my driver I feel like I am missing out on distance because my flight is too low. Some of that may be the shaft and some of that may be attack angle. My plan is to establish a +3/5 AOA and I can get that when I think about it.

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?

I live in Colorado and the ground is usually pretty hard as we don't get much rain.

I'm a pretty big strong athletic guy. 6' 3" and weigh about 220 lbs

12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer)

Between L & XL, 8" / 3.5"

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?

I have no idea, but could post a video if you wanted.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Didn't want to start another topic just to ask a question but I'm considering ordering a new shaft or 2 to try out and I can't figure out the way to measure my overall driver length.

Please check out the photos attached and tell me the length of my driver.

TIA

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• 2 months later...

Data is a couple years old, but likely hasn't change much. Curious about whether going from the Fujikura Pro 63X to a Ventus 6X would be a worthwhile upgrade.

How often you play in a month? Full round 2-3; 9-holes 5-6

How often you practice in a month? About 2hrs a week

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? About a 7-8

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 8 GHIN

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Driver

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) Taylormade M1 (2017), 9.5 down to 8.5, center track weight forward, bias weight one towards draw, Fujikura Pro63 X, ??? no alterations to stock weight of club and shaft, 46", Golf Pride CP2 Mid

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? When swing is on... Quicker tempo (not jerky though) and stronger load.

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability? 7-8, I typically make solid contact with driver

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? Dispersion and I get penalized pretty heavily when swing is a little off.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM Yes. These values were with 5% suppressed range balls, not my usual ProV1 - Trackman by CoolClubs - Swing Speed: 105-108; Launch: 14.3; Ball speed: 153; Spin rate: 3200rpm; H. Swing plane: -5.1; V. Swing plane: 48; Club path: -2.1; Spin axis: -4.4; Smash: 1.41; Carry: 250; Flight: 7.2sec; Landing angle: 45.6; Total distance: 265.8 (with ProV1 total distance averages around 280)

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? General upgrade and Improve dispersion, especially on off center hits, maintain smooth feel in the shaft.

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? My miss is typically a block fade, with off center hits towards the heel.

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? I have a mid to high ball flight, I also provided my launch numbers above.

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? Mid-High draw

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Firm/Dry, Irvine CA.

11. Body build and postures? height? etc. 5'11, 220lbs, I would say not quite husky, but not trim obviously. Posture isn't great, I tend to hunch a little, but I try to set and maintain good posture at address (my better performance days are tied to a better spine/shoulder posture)

12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) ML glove, 7.25" and 3.10"

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? Growing up it was told Daly, smoothed out over the years, I still tend to go a little past parallel at the top.Answer:Definitely Swing issue. Need to change your attack angle to be more ascending up to 5*.

• 4 weeks later...

How often you play in a month? In season, 10-15 rounds a month

How often you practice in a month? 1 x a week

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency. 8

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 2.1 GHIN

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Long Irons are weakness, rest are strong

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please. – Cobra FLY Z+ Fubuki Z60 x5ct flex x, 43.66 inch, Standard 10.5. Played a M1 tour 440 with an X stiff 661 speeder, face was too open for me. I have never truly felt the difference in my friend’s 2nd version of the M1 in moving weights on the club.

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? I want it to be smooth, but it is usually a quick swing with the driver. I have a fairly heavy load on top.

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability? 8. Usually have 1 really bad swing per round.

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? With my driver, the flair fade pops up where it feels like a great swing but the clubhead “buckles” open at contact. When I correct this and have a longer swing path (less rotation) I get the pulls. Happens with my 3 wood as well.

I get my data off HD GOLF simulator data. I have used Trackman 2.0 and have gotten similar numbers- Club Speed: 115, Ball Speed: 176 mph, Smash Factor 1.45, Carry, 289 – Total 308 – Spin Rate 2300 – Launch Angle 12 – Club Path ~+1.3 - Face Angle 0 to 0.3 , I use TM TP balls

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? – Control Misses, not have that face buckle feel, more piercing ball flight.

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? A pull when playing a fade. Or aiming straighter the flair fade, where I don’t lose distance. Will have a random 280 yard “burner” where the ball won’t peak above 10 feet in height.

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? Straight to baby fade

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? Medium to high baby fade

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Clay and black dirt. Midwest.

11. Body build and postures? height? etc. Broad shoulders, 5”11, athletic.

12. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer) Size Large glove, 7.2 inch palm to middle finger

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? I am somewhere between Fowler & Woodland. I have a lower steeper swing. I think to ring the bell on the downswing. For instance, on irons and wedges I usually battle too much backspin on wedges.

14. etc. The more the better it become. I think/am worried that my swing is in the 1% and I do need legitimate X STIFF tour shafts, most in store shafts I hit that are X STIFF feel too whippy. I have tipped and butt cut shafts but have never found the proper feel of stiffness. I have bounced back and forth between standard, +4, and midsize grips.

ANSWER: Sounded more of a swing issue IMO!

Hopefully a whole new setup coming soon!

Ping Anser 2 putter

• 3 weeks later...

> @nsxguy said:

>

> Please check out the photos attached and tell me the length of my driver.

Impossible to get an exact length with those pictures but it looks roughly in the 45" ballpark

Here is a link that should clear up how to do it yourself.

https://www.hirekogolf.com/how-is-the-length-of-a-golf-club-measured

EDIT - opps - with the new forum software - didn't realize how old this was.

Hi, firstly, I am very greatful for any advice. I am a dedicated TaylorMade fan and I am looking for a new **3wood**. I used to play the M2 Tour in 15 degree with a Kuro Kage x-stiff shaft.

I will provide most recent driver data and I am just looking for some recommendations what shafts I should try in a fitting session - my coach isnt the best fitter, so I can use some external help ;) thank you very much in advance.

I am a scratch golfer playing 30+ tournament rounds per year. Conditions are mostly rather soft.

1. existing set up?

TM M5 10.5 playing at the lowest setting. Speeder 757 tour spec x-stiff. 44.75 inch. added 5 grams of led to the sole.

I just switched to that sharft and hit the ball more centered than ever.

2. type of swinger

quick tempo swinger with considerate load.

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? where is your striking ability?

8-9

only with the 3wood I experience a doublecross left miss

5. latest launch monitor session ? flightscope with my new driver.

launch angle 10 degrees, ball speed 158, spin rate 2800-3100, Swing path -1,5, Attack angle -1, problem is the spin loft of up to 15 degrees killing me.

I am looking for a penetrating medium ballflight as a viable option off the tee - not so much high/soft attack options for par5s.

a bad one is struck on the bottom heel.

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?

I play a 10yard fade in medium hight - i dont have an issue getting the ball up.

High fade is my ball.

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?

europe, soft courses.

6'4, 240 pounds.

12. What is your glove size?

Large.

I am working on ground force for 2 years already. I really hope there is no pro swinging like me :D

Answer:

Please submit info for 3 wood if you want to get answer correctly.

Not sure if this is the right spot for this, but does anyone have launch and spin numbers on an old RIP vs a new HZRDUS black in a driver? Whatever it is, don't love the feel of the latter and thinking about picking up a cheap RIP on the bay and popping it in an adapter. Haven't hit a RIP in 5 or 6 years, but remember it feeling pretty good and was happy with the flight I was seeing. Working on hitting up on the ball still, but thinking a lower spinning shaft is a good place to start. Have a Club Champ fitting next month, but realistically wouldn't drop $400+ on a shaft if something can give me even 80% of the results but for a 10th of the price.

• 4 weeks later...

Really looking for some advice on wedge shafts. I've been doing a lot of research on my own. Viable options I've found for replacements would be the TT dynamic golf 105 & 115, and the KBS 105. I think the DG115 also comes in a wedge shaft for lower flight. Appreciate the help!

How often you play in a month? 4

How often you practice in a month? 15

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency. 6

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? 9.8 index GHIN

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? Putting

Wedge Fitting Questionnaire:

1. Have you had a dynamic fitting before? lie angle? Loft? on 6 iron **Yes, 1* flat, standard loft**

3. What is the existing set up specs and shaft, etc? Detail please!

**Irons: Srixon Z765, standard loft, 1* flat, standard length. True Temper XP105

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 8* bounce, F grind, stock shaft, I believe true temper S200

Vokey 52*, 10* bounce, S grind, stock shaft, I believe true temper S200

Vokey 58*, 12* bounce, K grind, stock shaft, I believe true temper S200**

3. What is your existing complain on your current set up? **Wedges feel much heavier, 20 yard gap between 50* vokey and Srixon Pwedge**

4. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem? **Lighter feeling in wedges, especially 50* since that is mainly used for full shots. Hoping that lighter shaft, or shaft more similar to XP105 results in a smaller gap between 50* and Pwedge. XP105 is off the market now and based on research would not want to go lighter to the XP95**

5. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players **31”**

6. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players **35**”

7. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH 8. How tall are you? **Don’t wear a glove, 7.5”, 5’10”**

9. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker? Short or long divot? trapper, driver or slider? **Past few years have developed into a shallow divot/no divot, still making solid contact though. Short divot. I would say driver**

10. Do you do a lot of low pinch/trap spinner shots? **no**

11. Do you a lot of flop shots? What club you use on these shots? **I do flop shots, but wouldn’t say a lot, been using 58*. Having a lob wedge is fairly new to me, used to do a wide variety of shots with 56* in previous wedge set. Changed wedges when changed irons.**

12. Do you adjust face angle or ball position on your shots, especially of full shots? **Try to keep all full shots the same. Around the green adjust face angle by varying swing**

13. Do you consider very creative on your shots around the green or trying to be as simple as possible on your shots? **Have been playing less so trying to keep it more simple. The most adjustments is if i’m trying to hit a high shot that lands soft, or a little lower that will run out more.**

14, What is your striking ability scale 1 - 10? **6**

15. Any particular technique or method you like to tell me on your wedge game? 5**0* is mainly used for full shots, will sometimes use for around the green to roll out a little more. 54* is used for majority of shots 90 yards and in. Trying to hit majority of shots with square face. 58* is basically my bunker club, really like it for hitting out of the sand. Will also use for short sided shots that I want more height to land really soft.**

16. Tell me about your course turf condition, design, average green speed, Green size and undulation, etc? **New England course build in 1925 designed by Wayne Styles. 6200 yard par 70 course. Small to medium size greens with a good amount of undulation that can get moving fairly fast in summer, private course with good maintenance and not huge amount of play during the week, weekend morning/early afternoon course is busy. Turf conditions can vary throughout the course and the year. Wet and soft in spring/fall, firms up in hot summer.**

17. Which PGA player that you like on their wedge play style? **I actually don’t know much about tour players’ wedge play. Someone that keep things a little more simple. So not Phil, maybe more like a Steve Stricker or Zach Johnson?**

Answer:

Gotta learn how to take at least a small divot if you wanna be a good wedge players. Lighter shaft won't guaranty longer distance, its all about controlling the trajectory. Feel is subjective which you are the only person can answer.

How often you play in a month? **5 (in the spring/summer)**

How often you practice in a month? **10 (in the spring/summer)**

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? **It won't matter good or bad consistency. I'm consistently bad. I'd give it a 6.5**

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using? **27 GHIN (although i'm truer to my real score than some people i know so my handicap is probably lower)**

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? **Wedge > Iron/Hybrid > Putter > Driver (the least consistent part of my game)**

1. Have you had a dynamic fitting before? lie angle? Loft? Yes. **STD L/L**

2. What is the existing set up specs and shaft, etc? Detail please!

**Ping G 9* + 1* Tour 65

Cobra F8 5W, 7W

Cobra F8 4H, 5H

Ping G 6-UW SteelFiber i95

Callaway MD3 54*

Callaway MD PM 58*

Ping Sigma G Tyne**

3. Have you ever been on a launch monitor session? what are the numbers (detail)? what brand of machine? **Yes, but I don't know the numbers. **

4. What is your existing complain on your current set up? Always looking for more forgiveness. Also, I probably shouldn't have purchased high-dollar shafts for someone of my handicap. (I was naive)

5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem? I want confidence when I look down. Confidence helps me slow down. I quit swinging with my arms (the source of many problems for me). I don't have many complaints about my current shaft, but if I'm going to look at another head, I don't want to spend so much on an upcharge on shafts. Is there something stock that will produce the same/similar results. Afterall, I'm a high 20 handicap.

6. What do you prefer to see on your ball flight? higher or lower? draw or fade? **High Draw**

7. What is your ball flight tendency on your good golfing day? **Medium - High**

8. Which side is your mistake tendency? left or right side? any problem catching the sweet spot? where? **Toe**

9. Do you consider yourself a High ball hitter or low ball hitter? **Medium**

10. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? Draw or Fade? **High & Straight (I usually don't hit a fade or draw intentionally and hitting it low usually means I didn't hit it well)**

11. How far you hit a 5 iron on a good no wind day? **165 YD**

12. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? **25"**

13. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? **32"**

14. What is your glove size? What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? **7.5"**

15. How tall are you? **5'10"**

16. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker? **Shallow**

17. Who do you think your swing look like compare to PGA Tour players? **Think Matsuyama or Ryan Moore w/out the pause at the top**

18. Smooth , medium or quick tempo swing style? How is your shaft loading factor on your down swing? **Medium. Regular**

**FWIW, when I was fitted a couple years ago, my Mizuno Optimizer results for 7i were:

Headspeed: 73 (90 for driver)

Tempo: 4

Toe Down: 4

Kick Angle: 4

Release Factor: 6**

THANKS!!

Answer:

Get your self at least static and dynamic fitting first, Then get a lesson package and hit a lot of balls to build swing style and form. Then come back from more thorough fitting.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

> @"Little Ned" said:

> 5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem? I want confidence when I look down. Confidence helps me slow down. I quit swinging with my arms (the source of many problems for me). I don't have many complaints about my current shaft, but if I'm going to look at another head, I don't want to spend so much on an upcharge on shafts. Is there something stock that will produce the same/similar results. Afterall, I'm a high 20 handicap.

From the equipment standpoint - especially drivers/woods/hybrids - THE #1 Factor to help with consistency is making sure you get consistent, center face contact - and that is largely determined by making sure you're club is at the right playing length - not too long. And the stock, off the shelf lengths are WAY too long for most ams. So instead of worrying about shafts or even a new head (the Ping G in your signature is a VERY forgiving head), get a roll of high density lead tape ( https://www.golfworks.com/high-density-lead-foil-tape/p/hdlt/ ) and a bottle of foot powder spray and go through this tutorial at the range:

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/p1

Unless there is something very specifically wrong about the feel of your current shaft (too stiff, too soft, too heavy too light), changing it is not likely to help give you what you seem to be looking for.

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @"Little Ned" said:

> > 5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem? I want confidence when I look down. Confidence helps me slow down. I quit swinging with my arms (the source of many problems for me). I don't have many complaints about my current shaft, but if I'm going to look at another head, I don't want to spend so much on an upcharge on shafts. Is there something stock that will produce the same/similar results. Afterall, I'm a high 20 handicap.

>

> From the equipment standpoint - especially drivers/woods/hybrids - THE #1 Factor to help with consistency is making sure you get consistent, center face contact - and that is largely determined by making sure you're club is at the right playing length - not too long. And the stock, off the shelf lengths are WAY too long for most ams. So instead of worrying about shafts or even a new head (the Ping G in your signature is a VERY forgiving head), get a roll of high density lead tape ( https://www.golfworks.com/high-density-lead-foil-tape/p/hdlt/ ) and a bottle of foot powder spray and go through this tutorial at the range:

>

> https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/p1

>

> Unless there is something very specifically wrong about the feel of your current shaft (too stiff, too soft, too heavy too light), changing it is not likely to help give you what you seem to be looking for.

>

>

Thanks, Stuart. Does this same advice apply to irons?

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

> @"Little Ned" said:

> > @Stuart_G said:

> > > @"Little Ned" said:

> > > 5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem? I want confidence when I look down. Confidence helps me slow down. I quit swinging with my arms (the source of many problems for me). I don't have many complaints about my current shaft, but if I'm going to look at another head, I don't want to spend so much on an upcharge on shafts. Is there something stock that will produce the same/similar results. Afterall, I'm a high 20 handicap.

> >

> > From the equipment standpoint - especially drivers/woods/hybrids - THE #1 Factor to help with consistency is making sure you get consistent, center face contact - and that is largely determined by making sure you're club is at the right playing length - not too long. And the stock, off the shelf lengths are WAY too long for most ams. So instead of worrying about shafts or even a new head (the Ping G in your signature is a VERY forgiving head), get a roll of high density lead tape ( https://www.golfworks.com/high-density-lead-foil-tape/p/hdlt/ ) and a bottle of foot powder spray and go through this tutorial at the range:

> >

> > https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/p1

> >

> > Unless there is something very specifically wrong about the feel of your current shaft (too stiff, too soft, too heavy too light), changing it is not likely to help give you what you seem to be looking for.

> >

> >

>

> Thanks, Stuart. Does this same advice apply to irons?

Some of it but not quite all. While length can be important for irons, the potential issues can be a bit different and the process to find the best length is a little different. Too long can be an issue for the longer irons but that DIY fitting tutorial doesn't really address finding the best length for whole iron set.

However, some other aspects of that tutorial can still be helpful with irons. Specifically the parts about using the lead tape to find the best shaft weight and swing weight. And getting a good fit for shaft weight is one of the more important aspects of shaft selection. Usually more important than the fit for the flex or stiffness profile - particularly with respect to consistency of the results.

> @Stuart_G said:

> > @"Little Ned" said:

> > > @Stuart_G said:

> > > > @"Little Ned" said:

> > > > 5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem? I want confidence when I look down. Confidence helps me slow down. I quit swinging with my arms (the source of many problems for me). I don't have many complaints about my current shaft, but if I'm going to look at another head, I don't want to spend so much on an upcharge on shafts. Is there something stock that will produce the same/similar results. Afterall, I'm a high 20 handicap.

> > >

> > > From the equipment standpoint - especially drivers/woods/hybrids - THE #1 Factor to help with consistency is making sure you get consistent, center face contact - and that is largely determined by making sure you're club is at the right playing length - not too long. And the stock, off the shelf lengths are WAY too long for most ams. So instead of worrying about shafts or even a new head (the Ping G in your signature is a VERY forgiving head), get a roll of high density lead tape ( https://www.golfworks.com/high-density-lead-foil-tape/p/hdlt/ ) and a bottle of foot powder spray and go through this tutorial at the range:

> > >

> > > https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/p1

> > >

> > > Unless there is something very specifically wrong about the feel of your current shaft (too stiff, too soft, too heavy too light), changing it is not likely to help give you what you seem to be looking for.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Thanks, Stuart. Does this same advice apply to irons?

>

> Some of it but not quite all. While length can be important for irons, the potential issues can be a bit different and the process to find the best length is a little different. Too long can be an issue for the longer irons but that DIY fitting tutorial doesn't really address finding the best length for whole iron set.

>

> However, some other aspects of that tutorial can still be helpful with irons. Specifically the parts about using the lead tape to find the best shaft weight and swing weight. And getting a good fit for shaft weight is one of the more important aspects of shaft selection. Usually more important than the fit for the flex or stiffness profile - particularly with respect to consistency of the results.

>

A wise man once told me shaft weight was more important than flex :smile: OK ... So here’s the million dollar question: How do you know when you’ve found the right shaft weight? Is it trial and error with the lead tape? Are you looking for what feels right?

And back to the driver ... I’ve read about choking up (something I do at times) and even shortening the driver. But I don’t understand swing weight. Can you explain this?

Thanks. This has already been a ton of help!

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

> @"Little Ned" said:

> OK ... So here’s the million dollar question: How do you know when you’ve found the right shaft weight? Is it trial and error with the lead tape? Are you looking for what feels right?

Pretty much. But what feels good AND what gives the best and most consistent results - face impact, ball flight, swing speed.

> And back to the driver ... I’ve read about choking up (something I do at times) and even shortening the driver. But I don’t understand swing weight. Can you explain this?

Simply put, swing weight is about managing the head weight. Total weight (shaft weight) is about the effort to move the club in a straight line, Head weight is about the MOI of the club and the effort for pure rotations. A golf swing is a combination of the two so both influence how "heavy" the club feels in the swing in slightly different ways.

http://www.golfwrx.com/320652/the-absolute-facts-about-swing-weight/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How often you play in a month? Summer 8-10x, All other months **1-2x**

How often you practice in a month? **2-8x**

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency.** 7**

What is your handicap now? What handicap system are they/you using?** 8.4**

What is your strength on your game? Driver? Iron? Wedge? or putter? **Putter **

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) As detail as possible please. **917 D3, 9.5* neural weight set to D4 neutral(+.75 loft) with Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 74 stiff shaft standard length

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )?** Moderate **Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? **Moderate**

3. On a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? **8** where is your striking ability?

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?** Too much spin**

**Flightscope**

0ps1o9xwv6ae.png

dvf1lv6hw4z1.png

n9gdc2r8txcx.png

7. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? **Less spin and a bit more distance

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? **Pulls** Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? **Toe**

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? **Straight with a slight draw**

9. If you have to pick, what ball flight is more comfortable for you to hit...High or low? **high** Draw or Fade? **Draw**

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Windy Where are you from? **Live in Arkansas**

11. Body build and postures? height? etc. **5'11, 190 lbs, medium build**

12. What is your glove size? Large What is the length of your wrist to longest fingers and length of your longest finger? (Left for RH golfer and vice versa for LH golfer)

**7 3/4 in.**

13. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?**No idea**

> @Chief71 said:

> 4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?** Too much spin**

The LM data shows that (sorry to say) for your driver your face impact is really not very good - lots of inconsistencies and poor smash factor. That really should be up much closer to 1.48. This is what's causing your biggest loss of distance and more than likely also the cause of the high spin.

From the equipment standpoint, more typically this is not generally a shaft issue - rather it's more likely a playing length issue (usually due to the overly long stock, off-the-shelf playing lengths). Sometimes it can also be a weight issue (shaft weight or swing weight). But that's assuming you've already worked out what the best grip size is for you (probably a safe assumption based on your handicap).

The other common causes for high spin is the dynamic loft you deliver into impact - the amount of forward or backward shaft lean at impact. High dynamic loft comes from the hands being a bit too far behind the ball at impact. This is really a swing issue, not generally an equipment one. There are exceptions but shaft stiffness doesn't usually play a very big part that but sometimes shaft weight or swing weight might have some influence on the release and the results. But the most effective equipment solution is just to use a lower lofted head. For some people adjusting the loft lower via hosel adjustments may help - but since it also changes the face angle, it may also effect the shot shape. If it does, then pick the hosel adjustment to give the desired shot shape and instead go to a head with a lower base loft.

BUT FIRST - before doing anything else, you need to address the face impact issues first. Until you can get good consistent face contact, thanks to the overwhelming influence of gear effect that occurs with drivers, the numbers will really be meaningless and make it difficult to proceed with any other aspect of getting a good fit. The best way to deal with that is to get some foot powder spray and you'll also need some lead tape (high density is preferred - https://www.golfworks.com/high-density-lead-foil-tape/p/hdlt/ )

Then simply follow this self fitting tutorial with your current gamer.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/p1

After you've finished that, then it's time to go back and get a newer set of numbers and only then figure out what might be needed next.

That you for the feed back Stuart. I really appreciate the time, effort, and the advice. The pro operating the flightscope told me I was playing my driver more like an iron as far as ball position and tee height. I will definitely get some foot powder but can you elaborate a little bit more on the high density lead tape? Is this for messing with the swing weight? Thank you

> @Chief71 said:

> I will definitely get some foot powder but can you elaborate a little bit more on the high density lead tape? Is this for messing with the swing weight? Thank you

For the most part yes. Playing at a shorter length causes the swing weight to go down, the lead tape helps compensate for that. There are other uses but all the details are in the tutorial link I provided.