New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

JJordiJ

Put the new Chrome Soft X in play today during league play. It was quite a bit cooler than normal for Phoenix today. A few times I felt I struck the ball well on full iron shots, but came up 7 yards short. But that could have been the weather, or even a lack of feedback on a strike that may have been less than stellar(the ball is pretty soft). Overall the ball performed very well, but I am not sure it performs much better than the QStar Tour ball for me. The "soft feel" of the ball was very nice though. Really soft with just enough "click" to provide some feedback though more play will show if it gives me enough of the feedback I crave. Still have high hopes for the ball, but I need to play it in "normal" conditions.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the the CS sound off the putter? Does it have click or a thud? Is it a dull sound or.more of a sharper sound? I like the idea of it being soft, hopefully softer than last Year’s. For those that have played it please let me know.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

How the the CS sound off the putter? Does it have click or a thud? Is it a dull sound or.more of a sharper sound? I like the idea of it being soft, hopefully softer than last Year's. For those that have played it please let me know.

To me it is more of a thud than a click. The CSX feels similar to the Qstar Tour with a slightly more muted thud. The CS to me is closer in feel and sound to the Bridgestone Tour B RXS. I don't really feel that it is much softer than last years CS off the putter.

Played with the CSX yesterday, perfect conditions here in Los Angeles. 75*, little to no breeze,fairways brown and fast. Off the driver, the 18 CSX is an improvement in feel, over the 18 CS, little harder and trajectory a little lower. But it did some crazy weird stuff off the wedge for me (about 95 yard, 52* gap wedge RTX 3.0), ball flew high, drop and then a weird, severe right turn on ground to roll out about 10 yards. WTF. I thought it was the sprinkler head or something but it was not. This happened twice, and once I can chalk it up to a sprinkler (probably) but the second one had none nearby.

Driving distance was the same as other balls, I didn't have any "wow" moments even when I thought I smashed it. Compared to the 18 CS, my miss off the driver was a little more right. I'll play another round with the 18 CSX but right now, I don't see any benefits of the 18CSX over my regular balls, XV and XT. So far, for me, XT > XV > 18 CSX for driver. 2c

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

We have a 4 dozen for the price of 3 dozen at our club, so I can get 4 dozen for an average price of $33/dozen. Seems like a pretty good deal and worth trying. I am going to get 2 dozen of each (regular and X) and see which I like better.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

We have a 4 dozen for the price of 3 dozen at our club, so I can get 4 dozen for an average price of $33/dozen. Seems like a pretty good deal and worth trying. I am going to get 2 dozen of each (regular and X) and see which I like better.

Those would be the older, '17 CS, and not the new ones, correct ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

New ones

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

LEFT HANDED

Do you work there ?

Any idea why they'd be selling the new ones 4 for 3 ?

They're selling the OLD ones for roughly that.

Haven't even seen the annual ProV1 promotion yet this year.

Titleist Pro V1X

Do you work there ?

Any idea why they'd be selling the new ones 4 for 3 ?

They're selling the OLD ones for roughly that.

Haven't even seen the annual ProV1 promotion yet this year.

Our club pro is a Callaway master staffer and they’ve extended this offer for the first time this year to their master staff for individuals and their clubs.

LEFT HANDED

I was at the PGA Tour SS store yesterday after my round to have a Golf Ball fitting done. I spent about 1 hour hitting many balls of different brands. I am a 55 yr young, 8.4 handicapper with a slow/smooth swing. I had been playing ProV for years but switched to Tour Soft few weeks ago. I hit many balls with my gamers (driver, 8 iron and SW) and the top 3 overall ball results:

Q Star Tour and Titleist ProV provided the same result (spin, overall distance). Titleist Tour Soft gave me about 5 yds more on the driver but a little less spin with the SW, as expected. Middle irons are the same for all three balls. I got about 2200-2600 for all three ball on the driver spin.

I wanted to try the 2018 CS but since it was just released, it was not part of the PGA SS so called "Test-Ball Box". I went ahead and purchased a box of 2018 CS and used one as test ball. At this time, I was somewhat tired after playing 18 holes earlier and hitting balls for about an hours; but the result was astounding (compared to the Q Star, ProV and Tour Soft):

Driver: gained 9 yds average, on overall carry and total distance with spin about 2200-2400 and 2MPH ball-speed increase.

Iron: Average of 3 yds distance increase

SW: similar spins to the other 3 balls above

Cant wait to test it out on the course this Friday. Kudos to Mr. Ty at PGA Tour SS (in Plano, TX) for spending an hour patiently fitting me with the best ball.

The Chrome Soft line is a super ball, and every bit as good as the Pro V1 line (longer too, IMO). Chrome Soft line is such a step up for Callaway from previous lines, IMO the Speed Regime line was so poor I was hesitant to even try the Chrome Soft ball this past year... but here we are.

With the raving they had from the year before, they didn't need to raise prices on the '18 line, as I believe their following from the year before would have continued to ding Titleist and the other premium balls. Price hike will hurt for sure.

Overall, still a great ball and happy they are back in the game in terms of balls. Titleist isn't the dominating force they once were with the CS rave.

Titleist TSR3 8* - Graphite Design IZ X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX X

Titleist T200 3i - Fujikura Ventus Black 8 TX

Titleist 680 CB 4-PW - True Temper DG Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*/54*/58* True Temper DG Tour Issue S300

Scotty Cameron JetSet Newport 2

~ Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you deal with it ~

My second round with the CSX was again, nothing spectacular with the ball. It confirmed what I thought from my 1st round, the CSX is soft but distance wise it was no better than my XV or XT balls. Based on my driving and the landing spots, I think both XV & XT balls are longer off the driver. Spin wise and softness, the CSX is king though. For me, this is not what I was after.

Given the price point, I think I will pass on the CSX balls in favor of the other X balls in my bag.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Chipped and putted with a sleeve of '18 CS and CSX today. Was not a fan of the CSX off the putter last year, so was anxious to compare these on the practice green. '18 CSX definitely feels better off the putter face than last year's model in my opinion. In fact it wasn't obvious to me which ball type I was putting today which says a lot for the X, whereas with the previous models the difference was obvious. Still prefer to putt the CS, but could play either. Chipping, both balls spun plenty to put brakes on, CS definitely noticeably softer feeling off the wedge. Anxious to see how they spin on full shots, which is the only reason I'm considering the X (want more spin).

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

Chipped and putted with a sleeve of '18 CS and CSX today. Was not a fan of the CSX off the putter last year, so was anxious to compare these on the practice green. '18 CSX definitely feels better off the putter face than last year's model in my opinion. In fact it wasn't obvious to me which ball type I was putting today which says a lot for the X, whereas with the previous models the difference was obvious. Still prefer to putt the CS, but could play either. Chipping, both balls spun plenty to put brakes on, CS definitely noticeably softer feeling off the wedge. Anxious to see how they spin on full shots, which is the only reason I'm considering the X (want more spin).

interested in how you find the full shots

Played 3-4 rounds with the 2018 CSX. A very good ball, but nothing to me stood out over the regular Pro V1, which I’ve been playing since it was released last year. One big negative I noticed in my testing is the very poor durability. Significant cover damage after one well struck wedge shot. Lots of sand grains get stuck in the cover. CSX definitely is much less durable than the Pro V. Since there was no signifcant performance gain, I’m sticking with Pro V.

Played 3-4 rounds with the 2018 CSX. A very good ball, but nothing to me stood out over the regular Pro V1, which I’ve been playing since it was released last year. One big negative I noticed in my testing is the very poor durability. Significant cover damage after one well struck wedge shot. Lots of sand grains get stuck in the cover. CSX definitely is much less durable than the Pro V. Since there was no signifcant performance gain, I’m sticking with Pro V.

Haven't had a chance to try the '18 yet but the '17 (regular, not X) is extremely durable. How hard do you hit your wedge ? I haven't shredded, or caused any damage to the cover on a golf ball with a wedge since those 10(?) year old Callaway "Jaws"(?) wedges.

Not only are the '17s very durable but I use the Yellow Truvis and when they get just a minor scuff on them, which with a white ball would cause it to go in the shag bag after the round, the Yellow Truvis doesn't hardly even show a scuff mark and IT goes right back into the ball pocket of my bag after the round. Get an easy 36 holes of of one before I retire it.

When I played regular white balls, 1 round and done.

Will be interested to try the new ones in a few weeks.

Titleist Pro V1X

does graphene help that much? can i put some in my wifes coffee

Post of the year thus far

thanks man, u should try it. Has done wonders, every morning i wake up to breakfast in bed, then she insists I play golf every day and then rubs my aching back when i get home.

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Haven't had a chance to try the '18 yet but the '17 (regular, not X) is extremely durable. How hard do you hit your wedge ? I haven't shredded, or caused any damage to the cover on a golf ball with a wedge since those 10(?) year old Callaway "Jaws"(?) wedges.

Not only are the '17s very durable but I use the Yellow Truvis and when they get just a minor scuff on them, which with a white ball would cause it to go in the shag bag after the round, the Yellow Truvis doesn't hardly even show a scuff mark and IT goes right back into the ball pocket of my bag after the round. Get an easy 36 holes of of one before I retire it.

I tend to pinch my wedges pretty hard. I just got new MD4s, which might have something to do with it. But the 18 CSX also fails the bark and cart path tests compared to the Pro V1.

I tend to pinch my wedges pretty hard. I just got new MD4s, which might have something to do with it. But the 18 CSX also fails the bark and cart path tests compared to the Pro V1.

The "bark test". :cheesy:

Funny you mention that - just today I hit a drive in the tree line and tried to punch a low 5 iron. Caught it very solidly and hit a tree smack in the middle and the ball ended up behind me. Checked it out after the hole and the wasn't a mark on it. ('17 CS). :dntknw:

Titleist Pro V1X

Tested csX vs. my XV regular ball and the tp5

off the tee, csx seemed as long as the xv and straighter with nice flight - tp5 seemed to drop out of sky and was shorter

irons - csx and tp5 much better spin and feel than xv in my mind

around and on green - csx better spin off wedge and feel off putter in between tp5 and xv - goldilocks in my mind

really impressed with this 2018 csX

Leaning towards replacing xv in my bag this year

tp5 is out (didn't like the tp5x either - inconsistent flight and control for me)

more testing, but it hits all the right notes for me so far

Has anybody said what the Graphene is supposed to do? Hard to cost as its dependent on its state etc. But theres not going to be too much in each ball.

Graphene is in the outer core layer which lightens it without it losing resiliency. That allows for a larger inner core with more mass closer to the center of the ball, which in theory leads to greater spin seperation from long clubs to short ones.

That's my understanding of it, anyway. Think there are some videos on Callaway's web page that go into greater detail.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Has anybody said what the Graphene is supposed to do? Hard to cost as its dependent on its state etc. But theres not going to be too much in each ball.

Graphene is in the outer core layer which lightens it without it losing resiliency. That allows for a larger inner core with more mass closer to the center of the ball, which in theory leads to greater spin seperation from long clubs to short ones.

That's my understanding of it, anyway. Think there are some videos on Callaway's web page that go into greater detail.

Thanks, i will have a look.