Crossfield reviews TM M4 Driver

i*windows

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the review yesterday and I really don’t get why TM didn’t send the new M range to Mark.He wasn’t biased toward his titliest clubs.There was positives in this review but I agree with what he said about the tolerance 0.5 on the face I know that if you buy a driver which states say 10.5 deg loft due to mass making the chances are it could be a 9.8,10,11 or something else so are Taylormade measuring every twist face they produce. I doubt it.

Callaway great big bertha driver
Callaway xr hybrid
Callaway xr irons 4/AW
Callaway mack daddy 3 wedge 54
Callaway PM Grind 58
Various putters
Snell MTB

He didn't go to the original M1/2 launch... didn't get invited to the 2017 M1/M2 launch and spat his dummy out. He basically said in a video that they TM only seem to give product to sponsors who use their product... uk magazine's, me & my golf, shiels and finch were all at the 2017 launch?... he said how can somebody not independent give an honest review? Then 12 months later he signs for Titleist and wonders why TM don't invite him or supply him with test product now he's no longer independent. I'm pretty sure he can just get TM product from 'get up Dans' fitting cart, he actually says that in the video. He's made it personal with TM, very childish.

Edit.. see link below I found the video it's pretty embarrassing, especially the beginning when he's pretending to have the club's. I'm suprised he hasn't deleted it to be honest... how many times does he say independent! Nevermind twist face, Crossfield is being Two faced! ???

TM seem to be a good judge of character.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I thought the review was fair, I believe it was honest as well, I have demoed the M4 and didn't see anything extraordinary on missed hits on the toe or hill as well, so "well done Mark"...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I thought the review was fair, I believe it was honest as well, I have demoed the M4 and didn't see anything extraordinary on missed hits on the toe or hill as well, so "well done Mark"...

Yeah the review is fine no issue with it but the hypocrisy from his other video stinks.

I totally understand, he was a bit butt hurt when he wasn't invited to the M release or even getting the demos from them, and then you saw the others (Rick, Pete, me and my golf guys, etc) get the invite, so I guess he felt some kind of way...oh well...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I was watching / re-watching some of his older reviews on Taylormade stuff (P770's and the Milled Grind wedges) over the weekend.. he definitely was going on about how nice they were.. at one point saying "I could game these.." in regards to the P770 irons. His review of the M4 driver didn't seem to bash TM.

I was at a Taylormade demo / fitting 2 weeks ago, and another one this weekend.. I've never thought much about TM, but based on the one 2 weeks ago, made me decide to try and put P770's into the bag for this season. And this weekends fitting I found the MG wedges to fit and work well. Given my bag was mostly Ping (iBlades and Glide wedges) for the last couple of seasons, I guess it says a lot. Still have a 2017 TM M1 15°, but I go back and forth with the driver between my 2017 M2 and my Callaway Epic (non-SZ).

Marks review was totally professional and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong, its TM who are being unprofessional imo.

I don't think anybody has questioned the review so far?

It is a good honest review... but watch the other video where he's going on about independent reviews and how important an independent review/reviwer is... he states that's why he started on youtube, 12 months later he forgets that and signs for Titleist ???

I had no problem with his review. I'm sure he had a lawyer's input on what to say, but it was more than fair. He didn't bash it or make it personal. He just stated his facts and gave numbers and, of course, his opinion. :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I guess I don’t see where Crossfield is not independent. Yes, Titleist is paying him money. He says he will still give independent and honest reviews.

Has he not done that?

There was also a little bad blood because Titleist beat Taylormade in signing Crossfield. At least that was hinted on. We may never know the whole story. But who cares? Either you like him, and watch, or you hate him, don’t watch, and continue to complain about him.

Marks review was totally professional and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong, its TM who are being unprofessional imo.

I don't think anybody has questioned the review so far?

It is a good honest review... but watch the other video where he's going on about independent reviews and how important an independent review/reviwer is... he states that's why he started on youtube, 12 months later he forgets that and signs for Titleist

I think MC is a bit of a prat - albeit it a reasonably entertaining prat, so I do watch his videos.

The more I watch, the less bearing the Titleist deal has. He's put out some good footage of his recent trip to their HQ and TPI stuff.

He's stood his ground on his believes that shaft choices are over rated, was pretty reluctant to admit anything was better than his "rinky dink" hybrid.

He's dropped a few dodgy lines here and there - talked about Titleist's amazing build tolerance and then questioned TM build tolerance in the m4 review. However overall I think he has shown enough to suggest he is impartial.

Once these guys start taking themselves too seriously, that's when they start losing followers or alienating people.

The Rick Shiels pro-am thread has been done to death, but it showed he wanted to try to portray himself as something he's not.

I've posted this before, but all these guys, MC, Rick, Peter, Me and My Golf - they are all good for quick views when you take a dump or have 5 mins at work, but do I take any of them as seriously credible. No.

The m4 review seemed fair. He actually was very positive on looks. I think it looks cheap and nasty. Each to their own.

TM M1 2017 9.5° w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0
Titleist 917f2 or TM M1 2017 both 15° w/ Fujikura Pro84 stiff
Titleist 816H1 18 w/ speeder 9.8 tour spec stiff.
Bridgestone j15 w/ KBS Tour V X soft-stepped
Vokey SM6 50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
Bridgestone Mini Staff bag

I find him mildly entertaining. His ball striking and distance are in the normal range(not 320 yard bombs) with the driver. His ball reviews/tests are interesting.

I didn’t see his review of the P770 but after trying them in three different occasions and seeing the lack of offset I ordered a set and they are in my bag

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

I used to like Mark when he was the driving range pro during the reviews in the early days. I liked his talent for hitting ever driver the same distance and his rant on clubs are really all the same. He's right about that and given that why do we need to even watch testing videos like his? Maybe that why he signed with Titleist. His introduction of the on course testing, drones, shot tracer, vlog and his little bits with the kids are entertaining and has put him at the top of entertaining testers but do we really need guys like Mark anymore?

Now Shields and his mid-cap tester I can't stand. Even though Rick updated his presentation to keep pace with Mark, he has limited analytical skills and hits the ball all over the place. If anyone is a TM schill its him.

If I want to get a short, analytical review comparing the reviewed club to last years club I watch Golfalot. Short and to the pointand you can see how much better they are for a 100mph guy.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

I used to like Mark when he was the driving range pro during the reviews in the early days. I liked his talent for hitting ever driver the same distance and his rant on clubs are really all the same. He's right about that and given that why do we need to even watch testing videos like his? Maybe that why he signed with Titleist. His introduction of the on course testing, drones, shot tracer, vlog and his little bits with the kids are entertaining and has put him at the top of entertaining testers but do we really need guys like Mark anymore?

Now Shields and his mid-cap tester I can't stand. Even though Rick updated his presentation to keep pace with Mark, he has limited analytical skills and hits the ball all over the place. If anyone is a TM schill its him.

If I want to get a short, analytical review comparing the reviewed club to last years club I watch Golfalot. Short and to the pointand you can see how much better they are for a 100mph guy.

Why do you think that? He doesn't play any TaylorMade clubs. His reviews of the M3/M4 were lukewarm at best.

I guess I don't see where Crossfield is not independent. Yes, Titleist is paying him money. He says he will still give independent and honest reviews.

Has he not done that?

There was also a little bad blood because Titleist beat Taylormade in signing Crossfield. At least that was hinted on. We may never know the whole story. But who cares? Either you like him, and watch, or you hate him, don't watch, and continue to complain about him.

I don't believe that for one second. Taylormade had issues with Crossfield before the Titleist signing. No way were they trying to sign him to a deal.

I don't think anybody has questioned the review so far? It is a good honest review... but watch the other video where he's going on about independent reviews and how important an independent review/reviwer is... he states that's why he started on youtube, 12 months later he forgets that and signs for Titleist

There was already like a 30 page thread on Crossfield and his signing with Titleist... Yet, he's still doing honest reviews on NON TITLEIST clubs. You can criticize him for being biased but it doesn't make it true... Let it go and either watch and enjoy the reviews or dont.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

He didn't go to the original M1/2 launch... didn't get invited to the 2017 M1/M2 launch and spat his dummy out. He basically said in a video that they TM only seem to give product to sponsors who use their product... uk magazine's, me & my golf, shiels and finch were all at the 2017 launch?... he said how can somebody not independent give an honest review? Then 12 months later he signs for Titleist and wonders why TM don't invite him or supply him with test product now he's no longer independent. I'm pretty sure he can just get TM product from 'get up Dans' fitting cart, he actually says that in the video. He's made it personal with TM, very childish.

Edit.. see link below I found the video it's pretty embarrassing, especially the beginning when he's pretending to have the club's. I'm suprised he hasn't deleted it to be honest... how many times does he say independent! Nevermind twist face, Crossfield is being Two faced!

I agree, it seems that Crossfield wants it both ways. He signs with a competitor of Taylormade, Taylormade has every right to exclude him from receiving product from the manufacturer for review.

I sent Crossfield a note asking some questions that he did not answer. The questions: 1) why Titleist, 2) would he have signed with any other brand that had offered

Purely speculation on my part, but I suspect Crossfield offered himself to various brands for sponsorship. This process could have taken over a year, and Taylormade may have been turned off by an "unbiased" reviewer seeking sponsorship product, money, and trips.

I don't think anybody has questioned the review so far? It is a good honest review... but watch the other video where he's going on about independent reviews and how important an independent review/reviwer is... he states that's why he started on youtube, 12 months later he forgets that and signs for Titleist ������

There was already like a 30 page thread on Crossfield and his signing with Titleist... Yet, he's still doing honest reviews on NON TITLEIST clubs. You can criticize him for being biased but it doesn't make it true... Let it go and either watch and enjoy the reviews or dont.

Watch the Taylormade Not test video I posted the link to... Crosfield says how important being independent is as apposed to the people at the TM 2017 launch who he insinuates are all paid by TM and therefore not independent. He is no longer independent which is hypocritical to the point that HE (not me) was making with that embarrassing video. I like his reviews but just pointing out how hypocritical he has been.

I don't care that he signed with Titleist He should make money if he has the chance. I don't care that TM didn't want to send him anything. I didn't like his whining and crying about it. Man up and move on.

As far as Rick goes, he seems to only care about distance. Pull left, slice right...wow that felt fantastic.

This was a really informative review, like the concept of the Twist Face, but as he said with the OEM tolerances, it's probably nearly impossible for the average consumer to tell a difference. TM makes great drivers - just not sure the functionality meets the marketing.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I don't think anybody has questioned the review so far? It is a good honest review... but watch the other video where he's going on about independent reviews and how important an independent review/reviwer is... he states that's why he started on youtube, 12 months later he forgets that and signs for Titleist ������

Watch the Taylormade Not test video I posted the link to... Crosfield says how important being independent is as apposed to the people at the TM 2017 launch who he insinuates are all paid by TM and therefore not independent. He is no longer independent which is hypocritical to the point that HE (not me) was making with that embarrassing video. I like his reviews but just pointing out how hypocritical he has been.

The difference I deduct from the whole thing is that unless you have nothing but positive to say about TM, they don't want you talking about them or their gear... Mark's honesty about his opinions on their marketing strategies in the past have been critical with good reason. I believe it was around that time they started creating space from him. Titleist has said from the beginning that he is free to do and say what he wants as far as reviewing clubs, thats who he's always been and they knew it. Personally, I would rather watch a guy who is willing to be a little critical at times, it shows me they are willing to be honest whether it hurts or helps them and THAT is what a non biased reviewer does. I watch Ali Taylor, Shiels, some others but you can see them struggle to say something good at times and when they do, it's a canned response, transparent as hell to me. He'd be a hypocrite if he was out there talking about how much better his Titleist equipment is and he's just not doing that.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

If i was reviewing the M4 i'd say that it's useless for me! I come marginally from the inside and hit on the high toe side of my driver as my stock shot which with twistmyface tech would make my shot worse? Altho when i tried the driver this didn't seem the case and i found it no better or worse than any other driver on the go. Now we're at the limit of technology companies are bound to try to add "Game changing" tech to drivers as they cant say their longer thats for sure.

Don't know if any of you have seen the big face that the golf pro's have in their fitting gear for the TM drivers but its an exaggerated version of the twistmyface tech blown up double size and it makes it quite easy to see how it *should* work and it is interesting. It's good that companies are trying new things but cobra had a similar face setup some time ago but didn't even mention it as they didnt see it as "Game changing".

Anyhow I like TM drivers, infact i dont think theres a new driver i wouldn't game if it actually improved my driving significantly as they all have good and bad points but for now i'll stick with my 913D2 at least till next year. (Im a fan of the look of Titleist drivers).

I don't care that he signed with Titleist He should make money if he has the chance. I don't care that TM didn't want to send him anything. I didn't like his whining and crying about it. Man up and move on.

As far as Rick goes, he seems to only care about distance. Pull left, slice right...wow that felt fantastic.

I agree with your comments. I posted essentially the same statement as a comment in the M4 video. Mark replied almost immediately that he had moved on. I think when we see review or "opinion" videos from Mark in which he no longer feels the need to open with comments like "let's see what TaylorMade didn't want me to test", perhaps he will have moved forward. It appears to me he is still making this a cause celebre. Is this not a situation of his making?

I generally like Mark's videos and style. I would like to see more "opinion" videos of Taylormade equipment, but without the acrimony.