Any news on the Next Titleist Driver???

Same looks and features with the slightest variation of last year's and $100 more than Cally and TM.

How did I do?

Lol! You've just summarized the past few TM, Callaway, and Titleist offerings :)

What else is there to do? They maxed out the driver decades ago haha

Exactly. IMO, diminishing returns on equipment in general, shafts too. I'll be excited to see the new driver though :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titleist drivers spin too much!!

No they don't, you just haven't set yours up properly.

I wonder who started this rumor. I even had a fitter once tell me their irons "spun too much." My 917 D3 spun in the low 2k's just like the other 4 driver heads I've owned in the past year.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Hey guys, Im looking into a new driver for the season. Any news on the 919? I do realize it wont drop until late summer early fall, just wondering if its worth the wait. Thanks Currently gamin a standard EPIC. Thanks

Hey guys, Im looking into a new driver for the season. Any news on the 919? I do realize it wont drop until late summer early fall, just wondering if its worth the wait. Thanks Currently gamin a standard EPIC. Thanks

one thing for sure will spin a lot

I'd bet against a composite crown unless they have figured out a way to get the sound right. Titleist actually tried composite years ago with the 909D Comp and it was not good.

I completely disagree! I played Titleist drivers for years going back to the 975 days, and after the 910 they totally lost me with sound and feel. Way to high pitched, loud, and tinny. Plus there shape is horrible now and this from a true Titleist die hard from years past. I love the sound of the composite drivers and feel they should try to address some of the sound, feel, and shape issues moving into the 919 series....We'll see

I wonder who started this rumor. I even had a fitter once tell me their irons "spun too much." My 917 D3 spun in the low 2k's just like the other 4 driver heads I've owned in the past year.

When I got fitted for a driver my fitter didn't even have 917 heads, because they "spun too much". I had a 915 it was fine in terms of spin. D3 just sits so nice by the ball, I hate the looks of most other brands including the epic I play now.

When I got fitted for a driver my fitter didn't even have 917 heads, because they "spun too much". I had a 915 it was fine in terms of spin. D3 just sits so nice by the ball, I hate the looks of most other brands including the epic I play now.

Neither did mine. I found out from another local fitter that he wasn't able to get an account with Titleist so he purposely tried to discredit them.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Boy think how much better Justin Thomas would be if he wasn't burdened with that high spinning Titleist driver..Might even be POY, oh wait he already is.....

It always comes back to this. If Titleist drivers spin so much, why do so many guys on tour have so much success with them? I don't intend to be mean, but saying something "Titleist drivers spin to much" is a pretty dumb thing to say. I mean, they spin too much for what? Winning Majors? Winning Fed-Ex Cups? Being used on winning Ryder Cup teams? Winning U.S. Amateur titles? What exactly can a Titleist driver not accomplish due to its apparent outlandishly unplayable spin rate? Geez...

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Boy think how much better Justin Thomas would be if he wasn't burdened with that high spinning Titleist driver..Might even be POY, oh wait he already is.....

It always comes back to this. If Titleist drivers spin so much, why do so many guys on tour have so much success with them? I don't intend to be mean, but saying something "Titleist drivers spin to much" is a pretty dumb thing to say. I mean, they spin too much for what? Winning Majors? Winning Fed-Ex Cups? Being used on winning Ryder Cup teams? Winning U.S. Amateur titles? What exactly can a Titleist driver not accomplish due to its apparent outlandishly unplayable spin rate? Geez...

Standing Ovation, sir!

In my opinion just because players on tour don’t spin them to much doesn’t mean they are ideal for everyone. When these days you try to get spin rates around 2kish it can spin to much for that particular player to get the most out of it and then you can have a driver that doesn’t spin enough where you can’t maximize the yardage. If people are saying it just because they read that then that’s one thing but for me I tested it and it spun to much for me and I lost a ton of distance.

Almost every decent driver head spins in the 2K to 2.5K if struck proper. If you have to squeeze an extra 5 yards out of a driver and have it have some crazy bumps or carbon BS than by all means. I can’t fathom ppl on here being SO GOOD AT GOLF that 100 rpm discredits a driver all together. 910 still a beast, and I’m not biased since I still play and have 2 reserve SLDR 430 heads, and a Ping g25 laying around. Just amazes me how some just throw a club to the wayside after a rumor about spin which doesn’t hold up at all.

G400 LST
TM SLDR TS
Apex UT 18'
Apex MB 18'
RTX 2.0 Raw
Ping Anser Milled

Almost every decent driver head spins in the 2K to 2.5K if struck proper. If you have to squeeze an extra 5 yards out of a driver and have it have some crazy bumps or carbon BS than by all means. I can’t fathom ppl on here being SO GOOD AT GOLF that 100 rpm discredits a driver all together. 910 still a beast, and I’m not biased since I still play and have 2 reserve SLDR 430 heads, and a Ping g25 laying around. Just amazes me how some just throw a club to the wayside after a rumor about spin which doesn’t hold up at all.

I agree if it’s based off of a rumor and didn’t test out. I hit the epic, D3 and m1 440&460 and settled with the m1 440. I liked the look of the d3 but the numbers didn’t end up the best which spun a little high for me.

From one of my favourites on YouTube

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Same looks and features with the slightest variation of last year's and $100 more than Cally and TM.

How did I do?

Lol! You've just summarized the past few TM, Callaway, and Titleist offerings :)

What else is there to do? They maxed out the driver decades ago haha

Exactly. IMO, diminishing returns on equipment in general, shafts too. I'll be excited to see the new driver though :)

I think it’s really great though. Find one you like to look at, gives you confidence, sounds good and get a good fitting. You can pretty much optimize any driver nowadays which is awesome.

I have played Titleist drivers since I was 15 (now 33) because I thought that whats I needed to play. The ONLY Driver that has kicked one out since then was the 2017 M1/M2. I am not a spin doctor but they are both fine clubs. Hell, my brother still outdrives my with his 905D over my 17' M2 every once in a while. Its all in what fits you best. Find the right Driver and the right shaft and hit it. We are all club whores who will always want the longest, straightest, craziest setup, but at the end of the day, there is always that brand that you will or won't love. Hit what works. None of us are on tour. Play what makes you smile!

TSI3 9 Pro White
TSI2 15  Pro White

TSI2 18  Pro Blue/MIZUNO FLI-HI 3 Iron Pro White
PXG 0311T P-7/0311P 6-4
VOKEY SM7 RAW 52F 08
VOKEY SM7 RAW 56S 10
VOKEY SM7 RAW 60L 04
CAMERON NEWPORT 2/CAMERON 6M
PRO V1X

I agree if it’s based off of a rumor and didn’t test out. I hit the epic, D3 and m1 440&460 and settled with the m1 440. I liked the look of the d3 but the numbers didn’t end up the best which spun a little high for me.

There you go! You ran a test and found out instead of generalizing, I wish everybody would! And the 440 is amazing, if I had extra cash I’d snag one for sure.

G400 LST
TM SLDR TS
Apex UT 18'
Apex MB 18'
RTX 2.0 Raw
Ping Anser Milled

In my opinion just because players on tour don't spin them to much doesn't mean they are ideal for everyone. When these days you try to get spin rates around 2kish it can spin to much for that particular player to get the most out of it and then you can have a driver that doesn't spin enough where you can't maximize the yardage. If people are saying it just because they read that then that's one thing but for me I tested it and it spun to much for me and I lost a ton of distance.

I'll be the first to admit, they're fickle drivers, but I've never had any luck with the stock shafts. And I mean none. Luckily, Titleist actually gets one major part of it and Sure-fit has been in use since the 910. So I can pop my golden goose in the latest and greatest and boom - instant 2200 RPM bomber that's as long as anything on the market.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

It can't be that far away with the price drop in the 917 line. Maybe sales a bit low and they will bring the new line forward.

I think it must have been - they don't get the hype of the Callaway and Taylormade lines, but IMO they're an entire package. I've noticed great feel, great spin rates (and I only have the D2 9.5*), and a wonderful appearance that looks nicely traditional as Titleist has had. I'm really happy they went back to the charcoal top, reminiscent of the 905 and before.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Wow, this is an interesting thread...

Here are my two cents having used all sorts of different Titleist Drivers, including the most recent 917 D2 and D3, over the years. First, it doesnt spin too much since that is primarily a function of shaft and loft. Second, when I moved from the 915 to 917 I gained (using the exact same shaft, literally took the 915 head off and placed a 917 on it) almost 18 yards on average at the Titleist TPI Tour Facility in California under trackman and controlled conditions over a large number of drives [went from 270 to almost 290 yards]. Not to mention better misses...

Thus, having talked to a number of Titleist insiders the new 919 should have a high bar to clear since the 917 was huge upgrade. I have not seen any details though. We will know more for certain in July or August.

#TeamTitleist
#TCC
#FJA
#VokeyWedges
Insta: @Chris92009

Here are my two cents having used all sorts of different Titleist Drivers, including the most recent 917 D2 and D3, over the years. First, it doesnt spin too much since that is primarily a function of shaft and loft. Second, when I moved from the 915 to 917 I gained (using the exact same shaft, literally took the 915 head off and placed a 917 on it) almost 18 yards on average at the Titleist TPI Tour Facility in California under trackman and controlled conditions over a large number of drives [went from 270 to almost 290 yards]. Not to mention better misses...

Thus, having talked to a number of Titleist insiders the new 919 should have a high bar to clear since the 917 was huge upgrade. I have not seen any details though. We will know more for certain in July or August.

Well I tested it with a few low spin shafts and all the combos I tried with the m1 440 and nothing could produce numbers that matched the 440.

What I have heard too, some big names on tour really love it.

What I have heard too, some big names on tour really love it.

Believe me I wanted to also. The head shape is perfect on the d3.

Absolutely. And, it's a shame that Adam Scott could only hit his "spinny" D2 352 yards on hole #16 today at the API. Just happened to be the longest drive of the day. Anecdotal? For sure. But, so too are all the parrot reports on Titleist driver spin. Somebody better get those tour ostriches heads out of the sand.

• 2 weeks later...