2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Maltby Tricept Wedges

RossGolfer70

Anyone look at these?
Look interesting to me. I've never used Maltby but I'm in no way, shape, or form afraid of components so I'm thinking I might just try one out and see.

Anyone else look at/think about giving these a shot.

Info below....
MA0155.jpg
MALTBY TRICEPT WEDGE CLUBHEAD
Read the Editorial

The Maltby Tricept Forged Wedge system offers a new innovative approach to improving any golfers short game. The Maltby Design Team has designed multiple wedges with varying sole widths and effective bounce angles to fit a wide range of golfers with varying skill levels. Maltby wedge models range from traditionally thin sole wedges (Maltby M-Series Chrome and Ion) intended for talented golfers with the skill level to create many different shots around the green to extremely wide sole wedges (Sand Slider Pro) allowing less skilled golfers to simply aim and shoot to get the ball up and on the green. While both the traditionally thin sole wedges (.850 or less sole width) and the extremely wide sole wedges (1.25 or greater sole width) work well for a small minority of golfers, the majority of golfers fit into and will benefit more from wedges somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. The bounce angle built into the sole of any wedge is not the single determining factor on how the clubs sole will interact with the ground during the swing. Unfortunately, most golfers think that if one wedge has 8 degrees bounce and another one has 12 degrees bounce that the 12 degree wedge will automatically perform as if it had greater bounce. This may or may not be true. The reason for this is that a number of factors make up the real or Effective Bounce that ultimately determines the actual performance of the sole as it goes through or glides on sand or turf. This applies to full and partial shot making with any wedge. Sole width, actual bounce angle, sole radius and the leading edge grind are all factors of the wedge soles effective bounce.

All of the Tricept wedges are identical in shape and blade profile but, understanding that turf and sand conditions often dictate the type of wedge that should be played, there are 9 different wedges in the Tricept Wedge System that allow the player to mix and match the sole width and loft that best fits their needs. The Tricept Black wedges have a sole width of .900 and are available in 52, 54 and 56 degrees of loft. The Tricept Red wedges have a sole width of .105 and are offered in 54, 56 and 58 degrees of loft and the Tricept Green wedges have a 1.20 sole width and are available in 56, 58 and 60 degrees of loft. Basically, the sole widths of the Tricept Wedges increase as the wedge lofts increase to aid in hitting the more difficult to use higher lofted wedges. However, the effective lofts of all the Tricept Wedges are relatively similar which allows the player to simply switch sole widths when playing under different course conditions without sacrificing the look and feel of the wedge they have devoted practice time to and become familiar with. The Tricept wedge lofts overlap to allow a player to pick the best sole width based on the course conditions they play. For example: A Tricept 56 degree wedge is available in all three sole width options, Black (for firmer sand/turf conditions and or highly skilled golfers), Red (for average sand/turf conditions and or low to mid handicap golfers), and Green (for loose sand and plush turf conditions and or mid to high handicap golfers). The ideal wedge set make up for most golfers regardless of skill level should include at least one moderately wide soled wedge in their golf bag. The Tricept Wedge Series solves this problem without the need to carry 2 or 3 different brands with different head shapes and effective bounce angles.

The Tricept Wedges are manufactured from soft 1025 carbon steel. The finish applied to the Tricept Wedges features a durable and eye-pleasing black QPQ finish. This finish is not an electroplating and is actually double quenched into the metal of the wedge. The QPQ produces a non-glare, scratch proof finish that will slowly rust over and extended period of time. The grooves are USGA conforming U-Grooves to maximize ball spin and eliminate flyers in poor and wet turf conditions.

Tricept Black

• Form Forged from 1025C Carbon Steel for great feel
  • Classic blade profile appeals to a broad range of golfers
  • Extremely versatile from a variety of sand and turf conditions
  • Tricept Black wedges have .900" sole width designed for golfers with moderate to good short game skills
  • Consistent .900" sole width design allows club face to be rolled open while maintaining effective use of bounce
  • CNC milled face and U grooves for optimum spin control from a variety of turf conditions
  • Optimum Mass Placement (OMP) provides stability and improved results on short shots struck towards the toe, the most common miss on chips and pitches
  • Rolled leading edge increases effective bounce
  • Slightly heavier head weights provide great feel for the shorter recommended playing lengths
  • Available in 52 degree loft / 6 bounce, 54 / 10, and 56 / 12
  • Recommended golf ferrule - 74PI
  • Available March 2009

Tricept Red

• 1.050 consistent sole width is very effective from all types of sand (fine to coarse) and grass (short to tall) conditions
  • Classic shape, combined with a more forgiving sole design offers a great combination of looks and performance
  • Designed for use by players of all abilities wanting or needing more forgiveness from thicker, more challenging lies
  • CNC milled face and U grooves for optimum spin control from a variety of turf conditions
  • Optimum Mass Placement (OMP) places more weight toward the toe for improved results and feel on the most common short game miss-hits
  • Slightly heavier head weights provide optimum feel for the shorter recommended playing lengths
  • Available in 54/6, 56/10, and 58/8 loft, bounce options
  • Recommended golf ferrule 74PI
  • Available March 2009

Tricept Green

• The most forgiving sole design in the Tricept Wedge line
  • Combines the classic looks many desire in a wedge with a highly forgiving and playable sole design
  • 1.200 consistent sole width is extremely effective out of all kinds of sand and turf conditions
  • Designed for use by all levels of players seeking a highly forgiving option in a classic design
  • Combination of sole width, rolled leading edge and four-way sole camber virtually eliminates fat shots
  • Optimum Mass Placement (OMP) places more weight toward the toe for improved results and feel on the most common short game miss-hits
  • Slightly heavier head weights provide optimum feel for the shorter recommended playing lengths
  • Available in 56/8, 58/6, and 60/6 loft, bounce options
  • Available March 2009

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have not tried the tricept wedges yet, some of the sole, bounce, loft configurations just didnt work for me personaly. I do however play the m-series forged wedges and couldnt be happier with them. If the are of similar quality (which I am sure they are) I wouldnt hesitate for a second to put one in the bag.

Side note I have hit the tricept c2 and f1 blades, and the felt amazing. I cant play blades but these almost convinced me I could, they felt so nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, got my Tricept 60* and assembled it with a FST-HiRev wedge shaft....and I love it.

I got the green 60* and its sweet, In all honesty it feels way better than my 60* Vokey did (IMO). I really don't understand why some people don't give the components a chance, best thing I ever did.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

• 4 years later...

This is an old topic, but I just built a set of wedges with these heads. The QPQ black finish is very similar to the Tenifer finish used on Glocks. I added white paint to the leading groove just to make it stand out more on the grass. The club face has some micro texturing to it, along with the milled grooves.

They are 1025 carbon steel, and seem to have a small cavity by the sole for weight reduction. They feel almost like cavity backs at impact, which is a lot softer and a better feel than the standard stainless steel wedges.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic ('17) or TM M1 ('17)
Woods: Wilson D7 3W, Callaway GBB 20.5 Heavenwood
Irons: Callaway Rogue 5-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD5 48* and PM19 54* 60*
Putter: Evnroll ER2

I still play the 60* green. I ground down the heel just a little to help in opening up. I'm getting ready to order a 54* as well. They are great wedges and I love the fact that they are heavy heads so I can build them short with heavy swing weights.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

I have a problem with the 56 and 60 green wedges opening up on impact, causing the ball to shoot to the right. When I use my black 52 wedge, it works fine in all kinds of turf, but the 56/60 green wedges seem to open up on impact really easily. I looked at the wedge design and they seem to have more weight on the toe while the black wedges have more evenly distributed weight - but then again my technique might need to change for the wider soles on the green wedges?

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic ('17) or TM M1 ('17)
Woods: Wilson D7 3W, Callaway GBB 20.5 Heavenwood
Irons: Callaway Rogue 5-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD5 48* and PM19 54* 60*
Putter: Evnroll ER2

• 2 months later...

[quote name='achappy' timestamp='1399907329' post='9279025']
I still play the 60* green. I ground down the heel just a little to help in opening up. I'm getting ready to order a 54* as well. They are great wedges and I love the fact that they are heavy heads so I can build them short with heavy swing weights.
[/quote]

Happy,

How do you like the Red 54? I am torn between ordering the Black 54 and the Red 54. I want a wider sole, but I do like to open up my wedges.

Thanks!

I really like the Red. I had a black before and I thought it was a little too narrow for me. I like the added effective bounce of the Red and since I don't open up my 54 that much, it's been fine. I'm really liking the 54 around the green.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

Look interesting to me. I've never used Maltby but I'm in no way, shape, or form afraid of components so I'm thinking I might just try one out and see.

Anyone else look at/think about giving these a shot.

Info below....

MA0155.jpg

MALTBY TRICEPT WEDGE CLUBHEAD

Read the Editorial

The Maltby Tricept Forged Wedge system offers a new innovative approach to improving any golfers short game. The Maltby Design Team has designed multiple wedges with varying sole widths and effective bounce angles to fit a wide range of golfers with varying skill levels. Maltby wedge models range from traditionally thin sole wedges (Maltby M-Series Chrome and Ion) intended for talented golfers with the skill level to create many different shots around the green to extremely wide sole wedges (Sand Slider Pro) allowing less skilled golfers to simply aim and shoot to get the ball up and on the green. While both the traditionally thin sole wedges (.850 or less sole width) and the extremely wide sole wedges (1.25 or greater sole width) work well for a small minority of golfers, the majority of golfers fit into and will benefit more from wedges somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. The bounce angle built into the sole of any wedge is not the single determining factor on how the clubs sole will interact with the ground during the swing. Unfortunately, most golfers think that if one wedge has 8 degrees bounce and another one has 12 degrees bounce that the 12 degree wedge will automatically perform as if it had greater bounce. This may or may not be true. The reason for this is that a number of factors make up the real or Effective Bounce that ultimately determines the actual performance of the sole as it goes through or glides on sand or turf. This applies to full and partial shot making with any wedge. Sole width, actual bounce angle, sole radius and the leading edge grind are all factors of the wedge soles effective bounce.

All of the Tricept wedges are identical in shape and blade profile but, understanding that turf and sand conditions often dictate the type of wedge that should be played, there are 9 different wedges in the Tricept Wedge System that allow the player to mix and match the sole width and loft that best fits their needs. The Tricept Black wedges have a sole width of .900 and are available in 52, 54 and 56 degrees of loft. The Tricept Red wedges have a sole width of .105 and are offered in 54, 56 and 58 degrees of loft and the Tricept Green wedges have a 1.20 sole width and are available in 56, 58 and 60 degrees of loft. Basically, the sole widths of the Tricept Wedges increase as the wedge lofts increase to aid in hitting the more difficult to use higher lofted wedges. However, the effective lofts of all the Tricept Wedges are relatively similar which allows the player to simply switch sole widths when playing under different course conditions without sacrificing the look and feel of the wedge they have devoted practice time to and become familiar with. The Tricept wedge lofts overlap to allow a player to pick the best sole width based on the course conditions they play. For example: A Tricept 56 degree wedge is available in all three sole width options, Black (for firmer sand/turf conditions and or highly skilled golfers), Red (for average sand/turf conditions and or low to mid handicap golfers), and Green (for loose sand and plush turf conditions and or mid to high handicap golfers). The ideal wedge set make up for most golfers regardless of skill level should include at least one moderately wide soled wedge in their golf bag. The Tricept Wedge Series solves this problem without the need to carry 2 or 3 different brands with different head shapes and effective bounce angles.

The Tricept Wedges are manufactured from soft 1025 carbon steel. The finish applied to the Tricept Wedges features a durable and eye-pleasing black QPQ finish. This finish is not an electroplating and is actually double quenched into the metal of the wedge. The QPQ produces a non-glare, scratch proof finish that will slowly rust over and extended period of time. The grooves are USGA conforming U-Grooves to maximize ball spin and eliminate flyers in poor and wet turf conditions.

Tricept Black

• Classic blade profile appeals to a broad range of golfers
  • Extremely versatile from a variety of sand and turf conditions
  • Tricept Black wedges have .900" sole width designed for golfers with moderate to good short game skills
  • Consistent .900" sole width design allows club face to be rolled open while maintaining effective use of bounce
  • Optimum Mass Placement (OMP) provides stability and improved results on short shots struck towards the toe, the most common miss on chips and pitches
  • Rolled leading edge increases effective bounce
  • Slightly heavier head weights provide great feel for the shorter recommended playing lengths
  • Available in 52 degree loft / 6 bounce, 54 / 10, and 56 / 12
  • Recommended golf ferrule - 74PI
  • Available March 2009

Tricept Red

• 1.050 consistent sole width is very effective from all types of sand (fine to coarse) and grass (short to tall) conditions
  • Classic shape, combined with a more forgiving sole design offers a great combination of looks and performance
  • Designed for use by players of all abilities wanting or needing more forgiveness from thicker, more challenging lies
  • Available in 54/6, 56/10, and 58/8 loft, bounce options
  • Available March 2009

Tricept Green

• The most forgiving sole design in the Tricept Wedge line
  • Combines the classic looks many desire in a wedge with a highly forgiving and playable sole design
  • 1.200 consistent sole width is extremely effective out of all kinds of sand and turf conditions
  • Designed for use by all levels of players seeking a highly forgiving option in a classic design
  • Combination of sole width, rolled leading edge and four-way sole camber virtually eliminates fat shots
  • Available in 56/8, 58/6, and 60/6 loft, bounce options
  • Available March 2009

I cannot speak to that particular model but I do play their Tour grind MG wedge as well as their TE irons and I have been extremely satisfied with the clubs. I put a DG spinner shaft on the MG wedge and it works great. It replaced my cleveland wedge

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX