2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Playing for 2nd place with tiger in the mix now

Kscarguy

I remember when tiger was at his peak and how he controlled everything related to golf. I remember interviews from various players and most of the questions asked to them was about tiger. Some if not most of the golfers got tired of answering same questions about tiger. When he was dominating the sport everyone was basically playing for second place. Just like when Hogan came back from the ashes of his injury so is tiger . But tiger is tiger and he will want to lay waste to all who tees it up during the week he plays. Is this the second ( or what ever version we are at now) coming . I think we will see him dominate with scores, driving distance, short game. What does everyone else think?

With Tiger in the mix, there is certainly a good chance he comes away with some victories....but good grief, to suggest that everyone is now somehow playing for 2nd place (after Tiger posts 23rd, MC, 12th and 2nd) is simply delusional.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Look, Mr. Sosa, we're getting ahead of ourselves

101900035.jpg

"I told you to watch my back, watch my back!"

"It's better than jou front."

Callaway Rogue Max LS, 10.5, Kai'li 65S
Titleist 913, 15, Diamana 95
Titleist 913HD, 18, Diamana 92HY
8-P Mizuno MP4, 3-7 MP64, C-Taper S
52-08, 58-08 Titleist SM8
Putter, Cleveland Classic #1, 34"

It’s funny when people say golf does not need tiger ?.

I think golf needs him more than ever . His presence increases ratings (proven) . I would even think more people will want to play the game (?). The tiger effect is here and will build up as time goes on and I think this thread will be true . Tiger loves the competition above all (even money ?) and him wanting to beat twenty somethings is for sure on his radar. He is a person as some say that likes to break records . And when he wins (not if) his momentum will be unstoppable. You heard it here first

J.B. Holmes plays for 2nd place, most others play for 1st.

you must be thinking of jb vs tiger at the match play..... i dont think JB was playing for second as much as he was playing for his manhood.... That Birdie Blitz tiger put on him was embarrassing .

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Incredible that 10 years later, "past their prime" Rose, Sergio, and Casey are ranked BETTER now. Stenson is just two spots lower and 47 year old Phil just won.

None of those are past their prime, except Mickelson. Justin Rose is much better than 2008. Casey and Garcia are different kinds of golfer, but no worse than they were in 2008. Stenson isn't playing amazing at the moment, but 2016 Stenson was much better than 2008 Stenson.

I do agree that the strength of field argument is overplayed. But I have my doubts that Tiger can be as good as he was. Last week was a great performance, but can he do it 20 weeks a year, staying healthy? The OP says that he can dominate, that would require 5+ wins. Let's see him win even once, before we even consider the notion.

you must be thinking of jb vs tiger at the match play..... i dont think JB was playing for second as much as he was playing for his manhood.... That Birdie Blitz tiger put on him was embarrassing .

I was actually thinking of the Farmers Insurance Open earlier this year, when J.B. took over four minutes to decide to lay up instead of going for the green on the par five 72nd hole, when he needed eagle to get in the playoff.

John Feinstein looks at the downside of Tigermania's return (you've been warned)

https://www.golfdige...-of-tiger-mania

John Poopstain.

He wasn't exactly wrong in what he wrote.

not really wrong.. tiger does make others disappear .... It then becomes a question of whether you think thats good or bad.. I happen to love it .. Id much rather watch tiger than a Kid like Conners implode on sunday in the final group... Just think how boring it would have been to watch Rose and Conner trade bogeys in the final group on sunday .... lol I say Tigermania for ever!!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

John Feinstein looks at the downside of Tigermania's return (you've been warned)

Absolutely, Positively, NO way in head to head vs. Tiger that Justin Thomas, Spieth, Dustin Johnson, Reed, Mcilroy, Stenson and 2 dozen others back down because it's Tiger, assuming he stays healthy for most of the season. That ship sailed in 2009.

Okay now people... I love Tiger like the rest of us but he's had ONE good showing out of 3 as of late. Let's not get ahead of ourselves... If he can finish in the top 5 this week I'll commit to saying that "he's back". Until then, I'm remaining skeptical.

he's had one MC, a 23rd, 12th, and 2nd. That's more than one good showing

For most people it is. But we're not talking about most people. He has looked good but right now I agree with Ziggy16 (and I bet Tiger would too), he's not truly back until he wins again.

John Poopstain.

He wasn't exactly wrong in what he wrote.

not really wrong.. tiger does make others disappear .... It then becomes a question of whether you think thats good or bad.. I happen to love it .. Id much rather watch tiger than a Kid like Conners implode on sunday in the final group... Just think how boring it would have been to watch Rose and Conner trade bogeys in the final group on sunday .... lol I say Tigermania for ever!!

I hate Tigermania because it makes other great golfers fade into the background, even though they are playing better than Tiger. It also brings undesirables to tournaments. The media feeds the hype and it becomes self-fulfilling.

There are two good things about his return; one he is healthy. Two he may provide a needed kick in the azz to some of the lazier stars so they work a little harder.

i think the more appropriate title is Tiger, playing for second at this point.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I feel more comfortable putting money on tiger of now than the tiger of last 4 years....health permitting, if he does improve gradually as he seems to be doing, looks like he may grab some wins again. Tiger of domination days? Meh....don’t know if he or any of us will see a player do what he did ever. With the large sample of high level players, lacking the Michael Jordan aspect Tiger brought, looks to me the trend now is who can stay on the throne for more than 6 months.....too many good players, and lots of “the next Tiger talk” that never pans out....(meaning the top 15 that had all had a taste of number 1 or close i.e. Jordan Speith, Rory, Jason Day, DJ, Stenson, and quite a few few more at some point, just ended up cooling down, and the next flavor of the weeks, month etc) just never see anyone dominate as long and by as large a gap as tiger.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

Based on progression, I think he will get close to where he once was. I remember when he was able to win with his "B" game, and I think there is where things have changed. Too much talent and depth on tour whereas every week someone is on their A+ game. Tiger will need to find his A+ game when he wins, and no longer can compete for the wins with anything less.

However, if and/or when he gets back to that level, I don't think there are more than a handful of people who can keep up with him. Hopefully, he finds this again for all of us to see how the rest react and measure to Tiger at his best. I know there are some saying we will never see that Tiger again, but after watching last week I am very convinced he will get there health permitting.

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

I feel more comfortable putting money on tiger of now than the tiger of last 4 years....health permitting, if he does improve gradually as he seems to be doing, looks like he may grab some wins again. Tiger of domination days? Meh....don’t know if he or any of us will see a player do what he did ever. With the large sample of high level players, lacking the Michael Jordan aspect Tiger brought, looks to me the trend now is who can stay on the throne for more than 6 months.....too many good players, and lots of “the next Tiger talk” that never pans out....(meaning the top 15 that had all had a taste of number 1 or close i.e. Jordan Speith, Rory, Jason Day, DJ, Stenson, and quite a few few more at some point, just ended up cooling down, and the next flavor of the weeks, month etc) just never see anyone dominate as long and by as large a gap as tiger.

I've been accused of being a hater by Tiger groupies in the past. I think my comments were those of a realist.

Tiger could dominate golf again for the next 3-5 years if he stays healthy.

His mental game and short game are 100%.

0.000 signs of short game yips.

F bombs & GD's. Side note to commentators - PLEASE STOP APOLOGIZING

Power like never before because it looks effortless.

Only weakness until now is his lack of tournaments.

Majors will be super interesting with Day coming back and if Rory and Jordan show improvement in their putting.

I was actually thinking of the Farmers Insurance Open earlier this year, when J.B. took over four minutes to decide to lay up instead of going for the green on the par five 72nd hole, when he needed eagle to get in the playoff.

JB probably had nightmares from 10 years ago; he still can't play to win after that day. how do you explain that layup.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

JB probably had nightmares from 10 years ago; he still can't play to win after that day. how do you explain that layup.

I'm far from a JB apologist, and I can't explain the layup. But, the guy has won twice in the last ten years and had that pesky brain surgery thing which MIGHT have affected his golf for a while. But yes, it HAS to be because of Tiger, keep feeding your narrative.

Callaway Rogue Max LS, 10.5, Kai'li 65S
Titleist 913, 15, Diamana 95
Titleist 913HD, 18, Diamana 92HY
8-P Mizuno MP4, 3-7 MP64, C-Taper S
52-08, 58-08 Titleist SM8
Putter, Cleveland Classic #1, 34"

The non top players of today, whom are not Tiger. Yes they can compete with him but as he builds up momentum will still be a side note. The interview yesterday he was shocked about how quickly he has bounced back from his 4th surgery. He feels like he can shoot for the stars now. I understand people are not scarred of him now. but the legend is real and only time will tell if the younger plays will fold or not in his presence

Rogue sub zero 9* Hzrdus yellow crafted 6.5 flex
Rogue sub zero 13.5* Hzrdus yellow 6.5 flex
917 F2 18* Speeder Pro TS 84 X
PXG 0311x 2i OTI tour 80x
PXG 0311 4-PW OTI tour 100x
Vokey SM6 Chrome 54*,62*
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

I'm far from a JB apologist, and I can't explain the layup. But, the guy has won twice in the last ten years and had that pesky brain surgery thing which MIGHT have affected his golf for a while. But yes, it HAS to be because of Tiger, keep feeding your narrative.

What narrative? you guys complicate things WAY too much; it's just #gooftalk. RELAX #seriousSteve. You're probably a peach to be around.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

No one can deny what Tiger did for casual golf fan, or the die hards like ourselves. Those who state they didn’t like Tiger’s dominance, must not forget what this did for the game. Not only did it keep the casual golf fan glued to a tv for the weekend to see potential history being made; which now the casual fan has a lack of interest as they don’t know who is the “Arnold, Jack, or Tiger” at the moment and can’t keep up with the “hot seat at this moment” game we have right now. Fun for us, but the casual fan has no clue who some of these guys are. Not only for himself, it also lets the more serious fan see how hard it is to reach the level of dominance Tiger once held, and stay there. For not weeks, months, but years.

That being said I think it’s hard to ignore whichever side of the fence you are on with Tiger, what Tiger did for this game in his period of dominance. Like him or not, it was an era that may never be matched again by another player with such a high level of play across top of the board presently and new players always being groomed, and sharing time in the spotlight for a small period of time.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Depth of field is a mundane concept when you're talking about the greatest. That supposed "depth," no matter the era, will battle for 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The greatest will always prevail.

Are we seeing the "second coming" of the once-dominant Tiger Woods? I highly doubt it. Tiger is absolutely amazing, but he's also 42 years old. He will do some wonderful things for a 42 year old, but he will never again dominate to the extent he did in the '99-'08 era. This will not, however, prevent the media from once again turning the PGA TOUR into the TIGER TOUR.