MEMBERS' CHOICE: Best driver of 2018? Poll added

knudson81

Spent some time getting fit the other day - looking to upgrade from my Titleist 905-S 8.5* with Graffoly BLUE stiff shaft - a club that I still pure after 12 years?

Went through all of the drivers, Epic SZ, F8+, TMs and then the G400 LST.

I was hitting my club 905-S about 285 on the monitor with a pretty high spin number (I think in the 5000s, but maybe 4000s) which the fitter was impressed with.

Epic SZ took me to about 295-305 but I didn’t quite have the control with it... some big draw shots and a few blocked out right (which is normal for me hitting a natural draw)

Ping G400 LST gave me about the same distance as the SZ, but I almost could not hit it far from center... I was amazed to get about 15-20 yards more distance and cut the side spin/ distance Left/right almost out of the equation.

***From what I remember - Back spin was down to about 2200 with LST with healthy launch of ~13*

I ordered the club the same day - should have it in hand with HZRDUS 75 Yellow 6.5 (xStiff) in the next week or so

I’ve tried them all, but nothing compares to the Rogue SZ. Long, low spin and surprisingly forgiving. It’s firmly in my bag and puts the Epic to shame IMO.

Titleist TSi2 Driver
TEE EX9 3 wood

TM V-Steel 5 wood

Honma TR21 hybrid 
PXG 0311 Darkness 5-P 
PXG Sugar Daddy 0311T 50* 55* 60* 
Odyssey Black Tour Design #8

If you really want to see how good the G400 Max is. Watch till the end of the video when they crank the loft down with a low spin/low launch shaft. 340 bomb 14.2 launch 2100 spin fairway finder.

G400 Max is the top dog matched with a good shaft/loft combo. It's also likely going to win the MGS most wanted driver. You heard it here first.

The bottom two shots are the G400 Max with TPT 15 shaft set at 9 degrees.

Rogue SZ was at 8 degrees with T1100 shaft.

So after getting to get my hands on the demos for the new sticks, I have 3 extremely clear winners. These drivers truly separated themselves from the pack:

G400 LST Ping Tour 75s

Callaway Rogue Synergy S

Cobra F8+ Aldila NV S

The flights I had from these three were very different, but all in good ways. The G400 LST is easily the best driver I've ever hit. The thing just wanted to go straight and long. It's also the only driver I've ever hit that didn't start to slice when I started to go after it. It launched higher than any driver I've hit, but with good low spin numbers so it didn't balloon to get that high.

G400 LST Summary: high, straight, long, da best

The Callaway Rogue surprised me, honestly. I wasn't a huge fan of the epic and didn't expect much out of the Rogue. However, what I found was a driver that definitely felt better, looked better, and performed better than the epic. This driver launched much lower and spun low (1900-2200), but for some reason just stays in the air. It's just dead straight low-medium launch missiles. I've hit balls miles off the toe with this that launch around 9* with 1600rpm and the ball speed does not drop off at all despite the toe strike. With the maintaining of ball speed across the face, that terrible toe strike just ends up being another low but long bullet down the middle.

Rogue Summary: ultra forgiving missile launcher

Lastly, in third place, but by no fault of its own, the F8+. This was actually the first of these three I hit, and immediately fell in love with it. It feels amazing. Simply a wonderful driver to hit. Like the Rogue, this thing just hit absolute bullets for me. Slightly higher than the Rogue, but still much lower than the G400. Even on low hits on the face, it still felt good and spin didn't jump dramatically. Very well-balanced club that I enjoyed hitting.

F8+ Summary: Low spin bullet monster with great feel. Definitely the surprise driver along with the Rogue.

The disappointment(s): M3 & M4

Poor distance and dispersion from the M4 and a pure inability to find a weight and loft setting in the M3 that could match anything close to those top 3. I will admit, though, on heel strikes, they started more left than usual and worked back to almost dead center (twistface?). But, toe strikes were a disaster. There was no telling where they were going. Also, a good thing about the M3 & M4, I think the look and feel were greatly improved at address and impact respectively. The M3 looks amazing all around. The M4 looks ugly as sin on the bottom but address is good.

Overall:

G400 LST

Looks: 5/5

Feel: 4.5/5

Distance: 4.5/5

Forgiveness: 5/5

Total: 19/20

Rogue:

Looks: 4/5

Feel: 4/5

Distance: 5/5

Forgiveness: 5/5

Total: 18/20

F8+

Looks: 4/5

Feel: 5/5

Distance: 4.5/5

Forgiveness: 4/5

Total: 17.5/20

M3

Looks: 5/5

Distance: 4/5

Forgiveness: 3/5

Total: 16.5/20

M4

Looks: 2/5

Distance: 3.5/5

Forgiveness: 4/5

Total: 14/20

Overall, there are some great drivers out there right now. More than a few for the first time that I can really get on with too. Really, though, the only way to get a good point of reference on what's best is to go out and try them. What's best for me may not be best for everyone else, so definitely try everything, and don't rule anything out like I did initially.

Anyway, excited to see what drivers everyone else has been enjoying!

great write up, thx.

what was your swing speed, ball speed, carry, total distance, and distance from center?

Demo days aren’t for another 6 weeks or so. All I know is this, thus far, M4 is strighter than my Callaway Fusion.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

If you really want to see how good the G400 Max is. Watch till the end of the video when they crank the loft down with a low spin/low launch shaft. 340 bomb 14.2 launch 2100 spin fairway finder.

G400 Max is the top dog matched with a good shaft/loft combo. It's also likely going to win the MGS most wanted driver. You heard it here first.

Great post on the video. I had a Callaway Rogue SZ with Hzrdus Yellow and was bombing it 300 yards (with rollout) and hitting fairways when swinging well. After 4 rounds of play, I noticed I was missing fairways....I decided to go with the G400 Max with their stock low launch low spin shaft 60 grams shaft. I hit it 270-280 now, but more fairways.

I’m a 6-7 hdcp and SS 106-108.

I felt the Ping G400 max was a great driver, just not for me. I hit over 50 balls with different set ups and shafts with the G400 Max and my numbers were fairly consistent but just not a good match for my game. But that does not mean it is not the right driver for someone else.

But I guess what I devise from this video is completely different. I look at the inconsistencies of the data from all of his set ups. Peak height, side spin and yds offline are all over the place. Which means that the strikes were all over the face of the club. Plus his EUREKA moment was based on one of 2 strikes with that set-up. It seems like he felt once the ball was crushed, and he got the result he wanted, that this is all the data he needs? EUREKA he found it! But from the data we saw with his other set ups, there was a very high probability that he would not replicate that EUREKA result over the next several strikes.

Then is his testing or data complete? For one look at the launch angle on the Rogue SZ compared to the G400 Max. The video shows that there was an effort to improve launch conditions with the Ping. What would the Rogue numbers look like with optimal launch conditions with that extra ball speed?

I am as guilty as the next guy of reading reviews and watching them on Youtube to try to get an initial basis of information. But I try to consider the source. And it's just my opinion but I think a single digit handicapper can definitely fit into a driver more easily and with less strikes than someone like me. Mainly because after a few strikes they can at the very least rule something out. With my inconsistencies I need a lot of strikes to really have enough comparable data. And while the guy in this video hits it well past where I do, it looks like he has a similar level of inconsistency as I do. 2 Strikes and a EUREKA moment does not seem like enough data for his level of play. I have been guilty of buying a driver because of a EUREKA moment before, and it was a hard lesson learned.

I felt the Ping G400 max was a great driver, just not for me. I hit over 50 balls with different set ups and shafts with the G400 Max and my numbers were fairly consistent but just not a good match for my game. But that does not mean it is not the right driver for someone else.

But I guess what I devise from this video is completely different. I look at the inconsistencies of the data from all of his set ups. Peak height, side spin and yds offline are all over the place. Which means that the strikes were all over the face of the club. Plus his EUREKA moment was based on one of 2 strikes with that set-up. It seems like he felt once the ball was crushed, and he got the result he wanted, that this is all the data he needs? EUREKA he found it! But from the data we saw with his other set ups, there was a very high probability that he would not replicate that EUREKA result over the next several strikes.

Then is his testing or data complete? For one look at the launch angle on the Rogue SZ compared to the G400 Max. The video shows that there was an effort to improve launch conditions with the Ping. What would the Rogue numbers look like with optimal launch conditions with that extra ball speed?

I am as guilty as the next guy of reading reviews and watching them on Youtube to try to get an initial basis of information. But I try to consider the source. And it's just my opinion but I think a single digit handicapper can definitely fit into a driver more easily and with less strikes than someone like me. Mainly because after a few strikes they can at the very least rule something out. With my inconsistencies I need a lot of strikes to really have enough comparable data. And while the guy in this video hits it well past where I do, it looks like he has a similar level of inconsistency as I do. 2 Strikes and a EUREKA moment does not seem like enough data for his level of play. I have been guilty of buying a driver because of a EUREKA moment before, and it was a hard lesson learned.

Actually he hit several shots with the G400 Max at 10 degrees and already like that his dispersion was better than the Rogue SZ. Once the fitter changed to a lower launch/spin shaft at 9 degrees. It checked all the boxes he wanted.

Remember they also discussd if a player always hits fairways and wants more distance...the Rogue would have been a better fit. It all depends what a player is trying to acheive.

For those who have played both...

Is the spin of the G400 Max really that similar to the G400 LST???

May need to make the switch if so...

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

I've never watched any youtube videos from those guys and now I'm absolutely hooked. He seems incredibly knowledgeable

Actually he hit several shots with the G400 Max at 10 degrees and already like that his dispersion was better than the Rogue SZ. Once the fitter changed to a lower launch/spin shaft at 9 degrees. It checked all the boxes he wanted.

Remember they also discussd if a player always hits fairways and wants more distance...the Rogue would have been a better fit. It all depends what a player is trying to acheive.

And what was the Rogue set at? 8 degrees? and lower loft generally means a wider dispersion area especially when it comes to side spin. And 2 degrees of loft is a pretty huge change. If tighter dispersion was the main concern then why have him hit a Rogue not set up with that in mind. It does not matter if the driver was a TM, Wilson, Cobra or PXG. If your main goal is to find fairways it is going to be very hard for an amateur to do so with an 8 degree loft

And what was the Rogue set at? 8 degrees? and lower loft generally means a wider dispersion area especially when it comes to side spin. And 2 degrees of loft is a pretty huge change. If tighter dispersion was the main concern then why have him hit a Rogue not set up with that in mind. It does not matter if the driver was a TM, Wilson, Cobra or PXG. If your main goal is to find fairways it is going to be very hard for an amateur to do so with an 8 degree loft

I think everyone here knows that lowering the loft has a higher dispersion rate. Especially since lofting down opens the club face 2 degrees. I have played both the Rogue SZ (4 rounds and hit it many times at the range), but exchanged it for the Ping G400 Max. I also have the TM M3. The Rogue is NOT as forgiving as the Ping G400 Max, but the Max is also not as long. The MOI numbers proves that...Rogue is 8700 and Max is 9900.

I know you game the Rogue SZ, but not all drivers fits a certain swing and what the player values more. eg distance over accuaracy or vice versa and most of all confidence with the equipment they are using to play well.

I think everyone here knows that lowering the loft has a higher dispersion rate. Especially since lofting down opens the club face 2 degrees. I have played both the Rogue SZ (4 rounds and hit it many times at the range), but exchanged it for the Ping G400 Max. I also have the TM M3. The Rogue is NOT as forgiving as the Ping G400 Max, but the Max is also not as long. The MOI numbers proves that...Rogue is 8700 and Max is 9900.

I know you game the Rogue SZ, but not all drivers fits a certain swing and what the player values more. eg distance over accuaracy or vice versa and most of all confidence with the equipment they are using to play well.

To say the G400 Max lofted down to 9/9.5 With a low spin shaft isn't as long is completely false. It's actually slightly longer due to the higher/better launch conditions for most players.

I own both and game the max. I regularly see 2k-2300 spin with max with better much easier to obtain launch conditions.

I use the 70 Kuro Kage DCXT-TX tour model shaft. Great pair; Swing speed 115ish.

I own both and game the max. I regularly see 2k-2300 spin with max with better much easier to obtain launch conditions.

I use the 70 Kuro Kage DCXT-TX tour model shaft. Great pair; Swing speed 115ish.

It all depends on the player swinging the club doesn’t it? Lots of variables to take into consideration.

I was paired with a player yesterday and he out drove me on a few holes by 10-15 yards using a TM M3 with a Tensei Blue shaft (mid launch mid spin shaft) vs my Max w/pro tour 65. I average 270-280 with roll out with the Max. He probably had a 112-115 SS vs my 108 SS. Yet, posters are saying the 2018 M lines aren’t as good as the 2016/2017 lines. All depends on the player.

I have the TM M3 with Hzrdus Black 6.0 62 gram shaft and it is longer than the Max with the stock Tour 65 shaft. The Max is more forgiving, so I ordered a Hzrdus Black 6.0 62 gram shaft (arrives Thursday) and will compare the 2 drivers on distance using the same shafts.

That's the exact shaft I have...hmmm

This is why "forgiveness" is subjective. MOI is the ability to resist the face twisting at impact.......this is not an issue for me. The forgiveness that I want is more consistent ball speeds across the face, which is where the "Jailbreak" technology has excelled. My R15 430 and M1 440 killed me distance wise on off center hits, especially near the heel.

I actually don't game the Rogue SZ because the spin was too low for me, and the Ping G400 Max had the same issue for me. For me the Rogue and Epic were the best at retaining ball speed on off center strikes. On the center of the face most drivers will behave similarly for me with minor differences in ball speed.

But back to my original post, all I was trying to state is that the data was no surprise given that one driver was "open" at 8 degrees and the other started at 10 degrees. I guess to make my point more clear, I was wondering if doing a proper fitting, why would you not start both drivers off at 10 degrees, then go from there.

I have not hit the LST, but the G400 Max for me was spinning around 1400-1600 consistently, and was similar to my numbers with the Rogue SZ. I would have had to go to a higher launch higher spin shaft to make either of those work for me. But the G400 Max felt amazing and I found it really easy to hit a controlled right to left shape.

I have not hit the LST, but the G400 Max for me was spinning around 1400-1600 consistently, and was similar to my numbers with the Rogue SZ. I would have had to go to a higher launch higher spin shaft to make either of those work for me. But the G400 Max felt amazing and I found it really easy to hit a controlled right to left shape.

Holy smokes that's low spin!

I'm debating between a 400max head to get with my KKDC XT or trying an epic SZ with black mamba.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Callaway combo?

are you guys writing in this thread to be mean? im in new york and got 14 inches of snow today

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

I hit around 120 drives yesterday inside on a monitor. I currently play a Titleist D3 with Fujikura 74 tour spec stiff and love it. But the more I read this thread the more I convinced myself that I needed to clean out some older gear and trade for a new driver. I just did not know if I wanted the Ping or Callaway

Tested most extensively:

Ping G400 LST with 65 tour Stiff

Callaway Rogue SZ with Evenflow blue Stiff

Cobra F8 + with Hzrd Yellow Stiff

Ping G400 with Alta CB Stiff

Taylormade M3 with Tensei stiff and 70gm X

Taylormade M4 with the Tensei stiff and 70gm X

I will keep this to basics and generalities:

Swing speed was highest with Callaway SZ at 104

Swing speed was lowest with Cobra at 95

All loft were less than 10.

Almost every shot with every shaft was a little right to left except for the Ping LST and TM3 with the X shaft.

I have a little buyers remorse this morning because I came home with something that I was not looking for, did not give me the highest swing speeds, and honestly makes little sense to my tiny brain!

The longest club for me time after time was the TM3 with Tensei white X Stiff shaft and 9.5 loft. The best dispersion with very little draw was the same club. The best spin numbers were produced by the same club. I know my swing speed would not indicate to me I would want the X stiff shaft (averaged 98mph) but it averaged about 273 which was a good 6 yards past the next best average. For some reason this combo allowed me to consistently hit the club face.

I might very well be in the market for a stiff shaft soon :-). But, I felt like after what the monitor told me I needed to give the best performer a shot. I still have my Titleist for back up if needed.

Handicap - 7.1

SS - upper 90’s to 104

Worth noting: We were having monitor problems with 2 or 3 restarts needed. So, who knows if the numbers are even correct. I only hope if things were off they were off consistently with all the clubs?

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I gamed the Epic SZ since it came out (Rogue 65, 9.0). Great club for me. I tend to launch it high with medium to high spin and consider driver my most confident club. HC = 7, SS = 99. I went into this year mostly happy with my Epic SZ but curious if anything could top it. I was looking for at least the same distance and help with an occasional toe blast. I thought the Rogue would be the ticket. But I just couldn't feel comfortable with it, feeling a lot of heel strikes. I tried it like 4 times, regular and SZ. I tried the F8+ (great and straight but spin wasn't ideal and distance suffered). The best fit for me, after two fitting sessions, was the Ping G400 Max. Same launch angle, slightly less spin than the Epic SZ (crazy, right?), slightly more carry distance and very good dispersion. If I can go from one of the least forgiving to one of the most forgiving and not lose any distance, it's a no brainer...(G400 Max, Tour 65, 8.4 degrees)

Boom! Roasted.