2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

Had about 6 weeks off due to house move and inclement weather and have come back to a horrendous golf swing, worst its looked in years and can't stop hitting it out the toe (an advance on duff hooks I was hitting at the range Saturday). Stupid game isn't it?

thought I'd post these videos, just to prove its not all good swings and shots I post :D and for reference.

Iron:

Driver:

- this was the only good shot I've hit in 3 range sessions.

shockingly the faults of huge lateral upper body move in backswing, excessive secondary tilt at impact and therefore lack of rotation are back.... I'd probably also say lack of depth at the top and very outward arms coming down, so same old sh!t as always basically.

It really is a stupid game isn't it?

Not going to have time to see an instructor the next few weeks so am fully contemplating shooting an online lesson off to Dan or Monte

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

It won't feel like it but I'm sure you're only a couple "mot" advisories away from being back to normal.

haha hopefully

This is why I think Golf is the hardest sport in the world to be consistent at, at any level.

absolutely, toughest game there is

As much as I need to work on this:

39959464894_c46de0f1b1_h.jpg

25798571547_f27fc5ab8c_h.jpg

I think a huge part of why I struggle so bad with it is due to my hip tilt, or lack of, in the backswing, as explained in this clip from the AMG guys:

Spent an hour or so during the day yesterday doing rehearsals and movements practicing a steeper hip tilt in backswing, and trying to get left shoulder working down and forward more in transition. Still obviously needs a lot of work but the difference in shots and ball flight from the 2 days before was amazing. Below some videos of a 6 iron and 3 wood.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgDtmGOnl79/?taken-by=davedunlop87

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgCQsMYHLsW/?taken-by=davedunlop87

I love the videos the Athletic Motion Golf guys put out, I've learnt a lot from watching their youtube videos so thought I'd do an online lesson with them just to hear their thoughts. and as I said I haven't got the time to visit either of the instructors I've used in recent times.

It was Mike who did the review and they got it turned round in less than 48 hours, was a very impressive and easy process. The first thing he said was how many great ball striking elements I have in my swing, which you can never get tired of hearing :D

He would like to see the club a touch more "on plane" on the backswing, I take it a bit "steep" and that is probably the main reason I've been struggling with 3/4 shots of late. I do get it back in to a good position at the top though.

He believes my downswing tilt issues come from having my weight all in my heels at the top of my backswing. In the pictures below you can see how my toes are lifting up in the air slightly on both feet.

25918547397_c86613cb17_h.jpg

From that position it is then extremely difficult to get the weight off my heels and the weight would generally tend to move towards the front of my left foot, which I know it does as face on videos can show my left heel off the ground. My right foot and leg basically become an anchor, and because it then doesn't move much my upper body tilts in order to deliver the club in a decent way.

38980144540_6af340236a_h.jpg

So I need to free up my right leg and hip movement, he suggest maybe getting my weight more in the middle of my right foot *, which will help get the right hip rotating sooner instead of freezing out.

*this concerns me slightly as I thought the weight should be more in the right heel at the top but I guess mine is too much in the heel. I also worry about this restricting my hip turn slightly as im not the most flexible person. Have emailed mike about this and waiting to his thoughts, doing some practice swings I certainly find the right leg working sooner and rotating more from this position at the top.

I'm interested in hearing his reply. Sunday I was messing around getting my weight more in the right heel as a fix for what I thought my problem was. One of the drills I was doing was putting a ball under my right toe, I saw monte do this with a student.

Talking about your earlier post, I had a chance to use a K-vest a couple of weeks ago, was surprised at how down my left shoulder had to be at the top of the backswing to make the sounds play. The position was noticeably different than what I was used to.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I love the videos the Athletic Motion Golf guys put out, I've learnt a lot from watching their youtube videos so thought I'd do an online lesson with them just to hear their thoughts. and as I said I haven't got the time to visit either of the instructors I've used in recent times.

It was Mike who did the review and they got it turned round in less than 48 hours, was a very impressive and easy process. The first thing he said was how many great ball striking elements I have in my swing, which you can never get tired of hearing :D

He would like to see the club a touch more "on plane" on the backswing, I take it a bit "steep" and that is probably the main reason I've been struggling with 3/4 shots of late. I do get it back in to a good position at the top though.

He believes my downswing tilt issues come from having my weight all in my heels at the top of my backswing. In the pictures below you can see how my toes are lifting up in the air slightly on both feet.

From that position it is then extremely difficult to get the weight off my heels and the weight would generally tend to move towards the front of my left foot, which I know it does as face on videos can show my left heel off the ground. My right foot and leg basically become an anchor, and because it then doesn't move much my upper body tilts in order to deliver the club in a decent way.

So I need to free up my right leg and hip movement, he suggest maybe getting my weight more in the middle of my right foot *, which will help get the right hip rotating sooner instead of freezing out.

*this concerns me slightly as I thought the weight should be more in the right heel at the top but I guess mine is too much in the heel. I also worry about this restricting my hip turn slightly as im not the most flexible person. Have emailed mike about this and waiting to his thoughts, doing some practice swings I certainly find the right leg working sooner and rotating more from this position at the top.

I take lessons locally from Robert Merrill who's part of the AMG team. We've worked on my pressure shifts which helped clean up my path issues. I think you'll enjoy your lessons, very intelligent group of guys.

I take lessons locally from Robert Merrill who's part of the AMG team. We've worked on my pressure shifts which helped clean up my path issues. I think you'll enjoy your lessons, very intelligent group of guys.

That good to hear, they certainly do. Interesting what you say about pressure cleaning up path, I forgot to mention in my post that the way the I work the club is very neutral but the way my lower body works is very much moving the path right.

I'm interested in hearing his reply. Sunday I was messing around getting my weight more in the right heel as a fix for what I thought my problem was. One of the drills I was doing was putting a ball under my right toe, I saw monte do this with a student.

Talking about your earlier post, I had a chance to use a K-vest a couple of weeks ago, was surprised at how down my left shoulder had to be at the top of the backswing to make the sounds play. The position was noticeably different than what I was used to.

in regards to the heel like everything in the golfswing i guess it can be over done. certainly sounds like a good drill to help get the weight into the heel. I know I certainly have a tendency to turn to flat at times and use the feel of left shoulder down to the ground to help that.

Spent an hour or so during the day yesterday doing rehearsals and movements practicing a steeper hip tilt in backswing, and trying to get left shoulder working down and forward more in transition. Still obviously needs a lot of work but the difference in shots and ball flight from the 2 days before was amazing. Below some videos of a 6 iron and 3 wood.

https://www.instagra...by=davedunlop87

nice twirl

nice twirl

thanks, if nothing else my #toursauce game has improved over the winter months :D

I'd say I could beat most lpga players and 4 handicap men when it comes to twirl & pimp step game.

Mike's reply:

"You are definitely doing a lot of things right. Yes, getting that early backswing more on plane will tune up your 3/4 straight away.

We get golfers in almost every day with the weight moving too much into that right heel… it’s just something that gradually gets overdone with time. Being aware of it goes a long way towards getting back up near the laces.

Yes on getting off that right heel sooner in the downswing. A good drill to help with that is the Norman foot slide drill. At the start of the downswing just feel like you are starting to drag your right foot toward your left as you strike it. Do it with easy speed with a 7 iron. You’ll get a sense for that right foot having to lighten a bit earlier for you.

If you need anything at all, just let us know."

Hey Dave I'd like to see the rest of this topic. Can you post the link please?

Cheers

Here you go: http://www.golfwrx.c...t-in-downswing/

how much do they charge for online lesson?

$50

First time in about 2 months I was due to be playing golf today, and it's f*#cking snowing! Bloody England.

First time in about 2 months I was due to be playing golf today, and it's f*#cking snowing! Bloody England.

We had to play our match as it's a national competition and had to be done by yesterday. We won the match 2 & 1 at a golf course I'd never played before. Hitting and finding shots wasn't an issue, some of the greens to putt on were very "interesting". Was concerned with how I'd hit it given the little time I'd had to try and implement the changes/feels. 1st hole I knocked driver pin high on the fringe, which I was rather happy with given it was 0*c with a feels like temperature of -6*. I hit the ball solid all match, driver especially, which has become the norm since getting my M2.

Was a tough match and fairly even all the way until I hit it to a foot on 16 for gimmie birdie and then nearly had a hole in one on 17, landing 3 inches past the right edge of the cup and stopping 2 feet away. 2 & 1 win.

Overall very happy with how the swing felt given the first round in over 2 months. Onwards and upwards as the weather hopefully picks up. Got a county competition for all the club champions on sunday 1st which is my next event.

Also was the first time I'd got the spider out on the course and loved it, like the alignment lines too, similar to the lines on the ghost spider s but in a nicer looking head and firmer insert which will hopefully help me with distance control better on longer putts.

love my vicino spider- prob the most solid putter I've owned, its needing some refurb/tlc so might try it myself like you did, easy? any recommendations on paints or process so it doesnt look like Del boy did it?

I never actually refurbed a spider, but when I have painted putters I've used car paints and they've always stood up pretty well. The key to a good finish is in the preparation, sanding to a good smooth finish greatly helps.

Mizuno iron fitting booked for this sunday :D

Mizuno iron fitting booked for this sunday :D

MP18 SC or MB

depends on the numbers but thinking of a combo set maybe, although both look awesome

The sensible part of my brain is saying I should go for a fli-hi 4 iron bent a couple of degrees weak, 5-6 or 7 in SC and the rest MB

But my heart is saying a full set of MBs, these are just so sexy to look at

review18setbag.jpg

agree re MB's being sexy to look at, you can drool over them while looking at your scorecard and the 'couple of shots that got away' using the MB's..............unless you are playing full time the SC's give that tad of forgiveness and confidence us amateurs with hardly any strokes (none in your case) need.

Combo set would be best, but your call

agree re MB's being sexy to look at, you can drool over them while looking at your scorecard and the 'couple of shots that got away' using the MB's..............unless you are playing full time the SC's give that tad of forgiveness and confidence us amateurs with hardly any strokes (none in your case) need.

Combo set would be best, but your call

yeah annoyingly that is what my head says. Although I've been reading reviews and quite a few say they don't really notice much difference between the 2 sets. You've got SC's haven't you? how do you find them? do they have a bit of forgiveness.

Have to say I'm being somewhat influenced by a couple of the reviews and mark crossfield reviews on blades. Forgiveness is extremely hard to measure and will a small cavity really have much difference to a blade? or is it more confidence inspiring thinking there's a bit of help?