Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

I'm having such great success with the OL hybrids that I'm now looking to purchase the 19* to go with the 22* and 25*. If Cobra had a 16* I'd buy that too and use it as a driving iron. I called Cobra to see if there was anyway to build such club using f7 hybrid and they said that they didn't offer weights heavy enough to get the F7 head weight high enough. Sounds like some experimentation might be in order.

How do the cobra OL hybrids work around the green? I would image that they would make the ideal chipper & bump and run club. Are they effective as a rescue club for use off the fairway? I ask because I am looking at the 19* as my 200yd club, but would like to have more than one use for the club.

I posted earlier about the use of a Ping DI as a SL club (check it out, it might be what you are looking for). You can add heavier weights and the hollow head allows for hotmelt. Mine is at D2 swingweight @ 37.5.

I'm debating taking my Adams DHYs and cutting them down to my SL length... can get lots of weight into the back port area. Would be an interesting test.

I considered that also, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get different weights. My Dhy weights look different than all of the ones that I've seen on ebay or other sites.

Hotmelt if the head is hollow (ie Adams mini) or tungsten powder mixed in epoxy. Billy Bobs golf has lots of OEM replacement weights.

The harder issue is adjusting the lie angle, most hybrids aren't made to be adjusted.

How do the cobra OL hybrids work around the green? I would image that they would make the ideal chipper & bump and run club. Are they effective as a rescue club for use off the fairway? I ask because I am looking at the 19* as my 200yd club, but would like to have more than one use for the club.

I posted earlier about the use of a Ping DI as a SL club (check it out, it might be what you are looking for). You can add heavier weights and the hollow head allows for hotmelt. Mine is at D2 swingweight @ 37.5.

I haven't used them around the green on the course but have practiced chipping off of mats and I think they would be excellent for that purpose. On full swings they recover nicely on fat contact and since the ball speed is hot off the face you could probably increase your margin of error by using them around the green and taking a smooth tempo. No worry about getting it to the flag so reduces the risk of skulling it in my mind. I've gotten very confident using my wedges around the green but prior to putting in lots of practice I would hit 1 or 2 duffs a round where the club digs in and I hit a 20yd chip only 4 yards. I would think anyone who has that issue would benefit greatly with these clubs. But my impression so far is that I would not have the precision that I have with my wedges.

Thanks for the suggestion of the PING DI. I'm going to look into it.

I can't imagine there's much difference between blading a 35.5 inch wedge and a longer one. Either way it's long gone.

Sure, but I'm referring to the swing thought that usually leads to blading it (for me anyways) - trying to pick it clean to get it rolling the distance I need. The rails do seem to help turf interaction, and with the ball jumping off the face of a hybrid you don't need to provide as much oomph, leading to better control.

Interesting to read......My main fault in the short game is my tendency to hit the ball thin in an effort to not hit it fat. This comes from a history bad techniques that I have fixed in my swing; under-active lower body and getting to 'armsy.' Those bad habit show up now and again, but they are mostly eliminated. Yet I still pull up to avoid the fat shot! This happens on all types of shots, including an otherwise simple chip. My current approach to fix that habit is to image bouncing the bottom of the club of the turf directly under the ball.

As the problem is all in my mind, not the swing anymore, the rails maybe the visual aide I need to believe in the idea.

......see how i talk myself into a new club. :to_become_senile:

Interesting to read......My main fault in the short game is my tendency to hit the ball thin in an effort to not hit it fat. This comes from a history bad techniques that I have fixed in my swing; under-active lower body and getting to 'armsy.' Those bad habit show up now and again, but they are mostly eliminated. Yet I still pull up to avoid the fat shot! This happens on all types of shots, including an otherwise simple chip. My current approach to fix that habit is to image bouncing the bottom of the club of the turf directly under the ball.

As the problem is all in my mind, not the swing anymore, the rails maybe the visual aide I need to believe in the idea.

......see how i talk myself into a new club. :to_become_senile:

Agree 100%. Thats exactly how it helps me. Except I always err on the side of caution so my mishit is a fat shot (really fat) because I'm trying to avoid skulling it and I know I need to accelerate through ground contact. The combination of the rails (even if only psychological) and the jump off the hybrid face would really help.

Just got in two rounds in Florida with cobra forged ones and I seem to be hooking the short irons only. This was a problem last year with the Pinhawks as well. Any thoughts?

I'm fighting a case of the pulls in my short irons also. I haven't figured it out yet, but recently all of my short iron misses are left, some more than others.

Mine aren't hooking, but for some reason I'm having a tough time getting them started on the target line.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

So I had a case of the rightitist with my F8 OL from the last round last week, especially with the 5 & 4 irons.

This week, I finally worked it out, bad grip-fixed that, bad alignment-fixed that, not releasing-fixed that, intermediary target & trusting it-fixed that, weak grip - fixed that.

Today, in my round, I had really good ball striking day at my course, Woodley Lakes, Los Angeles. Not one of my F8 irons went right! Yah!

My litmus test, the Par 3 12th, was playing 182 yards and Blue flag and I smoked a 6 iron to the middle of the green. That's 4 out of 5 rounds now with the F8 OL, I have hit that tough tee shot to the green. Definite improvement over my variable length Ansers.

The bad news is that my trusty 1 iron, I am so out of sync & can't close the face. Everything was going right. Sigh, fixed my F8 and now this goes kaput. Oh well, more work to do...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I like the feel of the F8 OL so far but IMO they are not as good at the F7s in terms of durability. Showing more bag chatter already than the F7s did after a full season. And the PW and 9i are especially showing wear on the bottom sides of the face and soles. Almost looks like I've been hitting off fine sandpaper.

Its a pretty minor thing in the grand scheme of things considering how much I love the OL concept. But its furstrating given the cost.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I had my f7 forged bent up to plus 1, regripped with midsize and am playing the ball back a bit and the lefts are going away. Definitely sticking with this for a while. Need to establish distances at the long end of the bag but am excited about this year.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

I like the feel of the F8 OL so far but IMO they are not as good at the F7s in terms of durability. Showing more bag chatter already than the F7s did after a full season. And the PW and 9i are especially showing wear on the bottom sides of the face and soles. Almost looks like I've been hitting off fine sandpaper.

Its a pretty minor thing in the grand scheme of things considering how much I love the OL concept. But its furstrating given the cost.

I've had 5 rounds so far with mine and while I don't see the wear and tear in the sole, yet, I can say the chrome finish is pretty "cheap". Don't hit any range ball on the chrome side of the face. A junior wanted to try my OL and clipped one right on the toe. It took forever to remove and even then it was not the same again. I have never seen this in any iron I've owned but then again, I don't clip range balls on the toe :(

Why the cost? I picked mine up for less than what I paid for a set of Hot Metals, 4 to PW with custom shafts as well. Pretty good deal 4 sure.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

Soon as I did this on all the par 3s on my course I knew SL was staying in the bag. Just sorting out the hybrid and the bag is set for another year.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

So I had a case of the rightitist with my F8 OL from the last round last week, especially with the 5 & 4 irons.

This week, I finally worked it out, bad grip-fixed that, bad alignment-fixed that, not releasing-fixed that, intermediary target & trusting it-fixed that, weak grip - fixed that.

Today, in my round, I had really good ball striking day at my course, Woodley Lakes, Los Angeles. Not one of my F8 irons went right! Yah!

My litmus test, the Par 3 12th, was playing 182 yards and Blue flag and I smoked a 6 iron to the middle of the green. That's 4 out of 5 rounds now with the F8 OL, I have hit that tough tee shot to the green. Definite improvement over my variable length Ansers.

The bad news is that my trusty 1 iron, I am so out of sync & can't close the face. Everything was going right. Sigh, fixed my F8 and now this goes kaput. Oh well, more work to do...

You ever consider changing the shaft on that 1 iron? Possibly something lighter if not already? Don't quote me but I believe that would help result in a quicker close.. If you've already got a lighter shaft whether steel or graphite, possibly consider shortening 1/2" or so. I applied both ideas (shorter and lighter) to my 4 iron and 3h and they're dead straight rockets with absolutely no loss of distance and no issues turning over.

You ever consider changing the shaft on that 1 iron? Possibly something lighter if not already? Don't quote me but I believe that would help result in a quicker close.. If you've already got a lighter shaft whether steel or graphite, possibly consider shortening 1/2" or so. I applied both ideas (shorter and lighter) to my 4 iron and 3h and they're dead straight rockets with absolutely no loss of distance and no issues turning over.

Brilliant suggestion, my 1 iron (a Mizzy FliHI 2 iron bent 1* stronger to 15.5*) is a stiff KBS Ctaper Lite but I have a 2 iron UDI (18*) with a regular CTaper Lite, I like that better and may well switch the Mizzy stiff out and or cut it down, or go graphite. I need to think here because my 3 wood is out and this was my long stick for the 2nd shot. I can do the pull and build, nbd and cost me nothing except the material cost.

I worked on my UDI yesterday at the range and also my 3 wood. My root cause was my body was so out of sync with my arms at the longer length. I went through some release drills (basically ignoring the impact) and that helped immensely & even compressed the ball. I will go through the same drill with my Mizzy tonight and see how it fares.

Seriously, I think the OL has spoiled me and because I no longer hit > 7 iron length at lot & probably lost my touch with the longer length sticks. Last week, I really focused & worked on releasing the ball on my 4 & 5 OL irons to keep the right side out. Also been considering the OL King utility and retire the Mizzy and UDI.

Brilliant suggestion, my 1 iron (a Mizzy FliHI 2 iron bent 1* stronger to 15.5*) is a stiff KBS Ctaper Lite but I have a 2 iron UDI (18*) with a regular CTaper Lite, I like that better and may well switch the Mizzy stiff out and or cut it down, or go graphite. I need to think here because my 3 wood is out and this was my long stick for the 2nd shot. I can do the pull and build, nbd and cost me nothing except the material cost.

I worked on my UDI yesterday at the range and also my 3 wood. My root cause was my body was so out of sync with my arms at the longer length. I went through some release drills (basically ignoring the impact) and that helped immensely & even compressed the ball. I will go through the same drill with my Mizzy tonight and see how it fares.

Seriously, I think the OL has spoiled me and because I no longer hit > 7 iron length at lot & probably lost my touch with the longer length sticks. Last week, I really focused & worked on releasing the ball on my 4 & 5 OL irons to keep the right side out. Also been considering the OL King utility and retire the Mizzy and UDI.

well either way, whatever you end up doing please keep us posted. we're all here leaning together :)

I just added the Edel SLS-01 5 iron to my bag.

This club is so easy to hit, it's ridiculous. I get plenty of elevation, and on a calm day and level ground, I carry the ball about 175-180 yards with a nice smooth swing.

I have noticed one thing I need to work on. I need to trust the shorter irons. When I make the '8 iron swing' with a W or GW, I get a very VERY good result...however, every now and then, I subconsciously take something off, because the club feels long...and I do not get a very very good result. It's still not bad, but imagine the difference in 10 feet for birdie and 40 feet for birdie.

I expect that the more I play these, the less this will become an issue...I am still loving my SLS-01s.

Anyone hit the cobra f8 OL hybrid? I'm getting 185ish from my four iron wondering how the 19 hybrid goes.

I have the 22* and 25* and both are outstanding. You can see me gushing about them over the last two pages. Not sure if you're looking to replace your 4 iron or looking for the next longest club, but for me the OL hybrids have been the same distance as the corresponding irons they replaced. Both clubs launch very easily for me and I've never been a hybrid player. 22* lauches 3* lower than the 25* for me (who wouldve thought ;) so seems to be at least some consistency in lauch specs.

Only issue I'm still working on is I'm only getting 5 yard carry gap between the two. Though the lower launching 22* will have more rollout, I'd still like to get that gaping to 10 yards of carry.

They're just still so expensive... pains me to pay full retail and there isn't a used market for them yet.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I just added the Edel SLS-01 5 iron to my bag.

This club is so easy to hit, it's ridiculous. I get plenty of elevation, and on a calm day and level ground, I carry the ball about 175-180 yards with a nice smooth swing.

I have noticed one thing I need to work on. I need to trust the shorter irons. When I make the '8 iron swing' with a W or GW, I get a very VERY good result...however, every now and then, I subconsciously take something off, because the club feels long...and I do not get a very very good result. It's still not bad, but imagine the difference in 10 feet for birdie and 40 feet for birdie.

I expect that the more I play these, the less this will become an issue...I am still loving my SLS-01s.

I do the same with the wedges. You have to make yourself go a little harder than you think. I suppose the ball doesn’t jump as much off the lighter heads.

They're just still so expensive... pains me to pay full retail and there isn't a used market for them yet.

if you mean the edel, i think i would be wary as a buyer. edel is custom fit for the original buyer - lie, loft, swing weight and unless the person buying it is your long lost twin, it would be hard to sell and buy, IMHO.

Now, some don't care but even at a reduced price, those edel are still expensive as a pre-owned set compared to other mass market OL. OL is already niche enough as it is...

Regarding the Edel Golf irons...unless you know your specific fitting to the Edel clubs...what you're buying is a crapshoot when you buy used.

Yes, their product is expensive. That being said, the fitting process is exhaustive...and all encompassing. Also, I'm not sure how big of an iron whore you are, but I am not. My previous set of irons was a set of Callaway X18's I ordered from Callaway with Rifle shafts a gorillion years ago...so, I view this as a pretty long term relationship I plan on having with these irons.

Good luck with whichever you choose. I am dead sold on the SL concept. The best way I can describe it...my average shots are still average..but my good/great shots...are even better than before.

Anyone have any advice regarding wedges? Are people using SL wedges (GW, SW, LW) or is it better to have VL wedges and stick to the SL for the irons (4-PW)?

Up to you. I have SL F7 5-SW and then my 58 & 64 VL. I was looking around for a deal on a 60 ONE wedge but there’s none to be found and the longer I play like this the more I think I’ll stick to this setup.