We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

New Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X

189101214
14

Comments

  • OldboyOldboy  2459Members Posts: 2,459
    Joined:  edited Mar 16, 2018 #332
    I've played the last two versions of this ball. ive put the 2018 chrome soft in play for a few rounds now .. its a nice ball but there was some mention in other posts of some cosmetic QC issues and i can confirm.. coating dimpling (which i could scratch off and would leave a small pinhole) and the text fading quickly .. which never happened with previous gen .. with the price increase its a bit annoying to think they would have these issues.. otherwise the ball seems to be a little more predictable and consistent tee to green and still decent around the greens and off the putter.. i agree with what some others have said that its not a game changer like the tp5 line has been for some.. i'll be moving on from this ball at this pricepoint.. i can pick up the tp5 or bridgestone tour line at this pricepoint .. just my .02
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • GSDriverGSDriver  727Members Posts: 727
    Joined:  #333
    Ronnieo wrote:


    I was playing last years CS and liked the performance, haven't tried the new CS I am even more of a fan. It's comes of the driver great but I am happier with the feel around the greens. I would recommend giving it a try and if you are worried about the price Callaway are doing a 4 for 3 deal at the moment.




    I saw an ad for TP5 personalized 4 for 3, but even Google couldn't find new CS 4 for 3....where did you hear this?
    Posted:
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6089Members Posts: 6,089
    Joined:  #334
    GSDriver wrote:

    Ronnieo wrote:


    I was playing last years CS and liked the performance, haven't tried the new CS I am even more of a fan. It's comes of the driver great but I am happier with the feel around the greens. I would recommend giving it a try and if you are worried about the price Callaway are doing a 4 for 3 deal at the moment.




    I saw an ad for TP5 personalized 4 for 3, but even Google couldn't find new CS 4 for 3....where did you hear this?




    Doesn't seem to be much but I did find this ======> https://www.indianpeaksgolf.com/shop-online/online-store/chrome-soft-b3g1f/callaway-chrome-soft-buy-3-get-1-free-detail
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX  8932ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,932
    Joined:  #335
    Oldboy wrote:


    I've played the last two versions of this ball. ive put the 2018 chrome soft in play for a few rounds now .. its a nice ball but there was some mention in other posts of some cosmetic QC issues and i can confirm.. coating dimpling (which i could scratch off and would leave a small pinhole) and the text fading quickly .. which never happened with previous gen .. with the price increase its a bit annoying to think they would have these issues.. otherwise the ball seems to be a little more predictable and consistent tee to green and still decent around the greens and off the putter.. i agree with what some others have said that its not a game changer like the tp5 line has been for some.. i'll be moving on from this ball at this pricepoint.. i can pick up the tp5 or bridgestone tour line at this pricepoint .. just my .02




    I've notices these issues as well. Its a great ball, but Callaway needs to get these things sorted out.
    Posted:
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG 0311T 4-P - DGTI AMT S400
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Tracy Tour
    Snell Black
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user Florida 6089Members Posts: 6,089
    Joined:  #336
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

    Oldboy wrote:


    I've played the last two versions of this ball. ive put the 2018 chrome soft in play for a few rounds now .. its a nice ball but there was some mention in other posts of some cosmetic QC issues and i can confirm.. coating dimpling (which i could scratch off and would leave a small pinhole) and the text fading quickly .. which never happened with previous gen .. with the price increase its a bit annoying to think they would have these issues.. otherwise the ball seems to be a little more predictable and consistent tee to green and still decent around the greens and off the putter.. i agree with what some others have said that its not a game changer like the tp5 line has been for some.. i'll be moving on from this ball at this pricepoint.. i can pick up the tp5 or bridgestone tour line at this pricepoint .. just my .02




    I've notices these issues as well. Its a great ball, but Callaway needs to get these things sorted out.




    Must be the graphene in the cover,,,,,,,,,, image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G400 19* hybrid Stiff 70 Stock shaft

    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 48*, 52* 56*, 60* DGS300
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • LeftofleftLeftofleft  26Members Posts: 26
    Joined:  #337
    I honestly didn't think the graphene would be an improvement over 2017, but I really like the 2018 version better. The feel is awesome in a way that is tough to describe (almost like cracking an egg).
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 2909Members Posts: 2,909
    Joined:  #338
    Leftofleft wrote:


    I honestly didn't think the graphene would be an improvement over 2017, but I really like the 2018 version better. The feel is awesome in a way that is tough to describe (almost like cracking an egg).




    The good reviews have me wanting to grab a sleeve of the CS. If the CS is soft but has a crispness rather than a mushiness to it and performs as reviews claim this could surplant my current ball the TP5.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 10.5° driver MCA Diamana ZF 50 S Flex
    Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° driver MCA Diamana DF 50 S Flex
    Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood MCA Diamana BF 60 S Flex
    Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid MCA MMT 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Odyssey Stroke Lab 10 S
    Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1x
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee...  3049Members Posts: 3,049
    Joined:  #339
    noodle3872 wrote:




    If the CS is soft but has a crispness rather than a mushiness to it




    That is exactly how I'd describe both the '18 CS versions, with the X being slightly firmer.
    Posted:
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • UnderParfectUnderParfect Farmington Hills MI 89Members Posts: 89
    Joined:  #340
    Looking for thoughts on a spring cold weather ball. When I played the hex chrome and hex chrome plus, the hex chrome was my cold weather ball because it was a soft 3 piece ball and then moved to the hex chrome plus when the weather got above 60. Since Callaway has moved both balls to a 4 piece ball for the past few years, is the regular chrome soft going to be soft enough to play in upper 40’s, low 50’s without really loosing distance? I have not had a chance to play either since the courses have not opened, but I do have a sleeve of the X and really like chipping and putting it but not sure it will handle the cooler temps well. May just try the Q Star Tour for my cold weather ball.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5 Evenflow White 65g 6.0
    Titleist TS2 16.5 Evenflow White 75g 6.0
    Titleist 915H 18 & 24 - Dia Blue 70S
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW - Steelfiber i95 Stiff
    Vokey SM5 49, 54, 59 - Steelfiber i125 Stiff
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black T-Line / SS GT1.0 CC
    Titleist 2019 ProV1x
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX  8932ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,932
    Joined:  #341


    Looking for thoughts on a spring cold weather ball. When I played the hex chrome and hex chrome plus, the hex chrome was my cold weather ball because it was a soft 3 piece ball and then moved to the hex chrome plus when the weather got above 60. Since Callaway has moved both balls to a 4 piece ball for the past few years, is the regular chrome soft going to be soft enough to play in upper 40's, low 50's without really loosing distance? I have not had a chance to play either since the courses have not opened, but I do have a sleeve of the X and really like chipping and putting it but not sure it will handle the cooler temps well. May just try the Q Star Tour for my cold weather ball.




    I have not played the 2018 Chrome Soft yet (been playing the 2018 X version), but the previous version was excellent in colder temps. It was too soft for me in warmer temps but it was great in temps under 60*.
    Posted:
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG 0311T 4-P - DGTI AMT S400
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Tracy Tour
    Snell Black
  • ATXHornATXHorn  676Members Posts: 676
    Joined:  #342
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:



    Looking for thoughts on a spring cold weather ball. When I played the hex chrome and hex chrome plus, the hex chrome was my cold weather ball because it was a soft 3 piece ball and then moved to the hex chrome plus when the weather got above 60. Since Callaway has moved both balls to a 4 piece ball for the past few years, is the regular chrome soft going to be soft enough to play in upper 40's, low 50's without really loosing distance? I have not had a chance to play either since the courses have not opened, but I do have a sleeve of the X and really like chipping and putting it but not sure it will handle the cooler temps well. May just try the Q Star Tour for my cold weather ball.




    I have not played the 2018 Chrome Soft yet (been playing the 2018 X version), but the previous version was excellent in colder temps. It was too soft for me in warmer temps but it was great in temps under 60*.




    Agreed although I would say under 70*.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max w/HZDUS Yellow 7X
    Rogue FW w/HZDUS Yellow 8X
    3-5i Ping i500 w/steelfiber 110x
    6i-PW Ping iBlade w/steelfiber 110x
    50SS & 54SS Stealth Glide 2.0 - 60 Glide Forged w/Paderson Wedge Stiff
    Ping PLD3 w/counterbalanced PP60
    Titleist AVX or Chromesoft
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ian-500ian-500  994Members Posts: 994
    Joined:  #343
    Anyone compare these to the Supersoft? Tried a Supersoft for the first time recently and thought it was very good, in feel as well as distance. Certainly as good as if not better than TM Lethal/TM Tour Preferred X/Srixon Soft Feel which I've been testing.........
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 430 8.5* + Tensei CK Pro Blue 60tx.
    Taylormade Original One 14.5* + Tensei CK Pro Blue 80tx.
    Epon AF-903 20 & 23 + OT Tour 120x.
    Epon AF-Tour 5i - PW + OT Tour 120x.
    Epon 208 KGX 53/59 + OT Tour 110x.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300.
  • Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX  8932ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,932
    Joined:  #344
    ian-500 wrote:


    Anyone compare these to the Supersoft? Tried a Supersoft for the first time recently and thought it was very good, in feel as well as distance. Certainly as good as if not better than TM Lethal/TM Tour Preferred X/Srixon Soft Feel which I've been testing.........




    Supersoft is not a urethane cover ball like the Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X.
    Posted:
    PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    Callaway Epic 15* - Diamana S+ 70X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    PXG 0311T 4-P - DGTI AMT S400
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Yes! Tracy Tour
    Snell Black
  • phil75070phil75070 North Texas - 32m North of Dallas 1901Members Posts: 1,901
    Joined:  #345
    I found last years CS was 1/2 club longer off the irons for me than the CSX and the CSX was lower launch making it the better ball into the wind and spun a little more off the irons. I am still trying to find how the 2018 versions compare to last year's in regard to these factors.
    Posted:
  • jkc-rvajkc-rva Blasian  1047Members Posts: 1,047
    Joined:  #346
    Last years Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X are 30/box at Golf Galaxy right now (flash sale until midnight). Is the 2017 Chrome Soft X good in the wind like the 2018 is supposedly? The TP5X seemed to live up to the hype about how well it plays in the wind, wondering if I can snag these 2017 CSXs and have them be a cheaper alternative.
    Posted:
    Callaway GBB Epic 9*
    Callaway GBB Epic 3W
    Adams MB2 3-PW
    Callaway MD3 Milled 52*, 56*
    Nike Engage Dual Sole 60*
    Odyssey White Ice #3

    Click me and buy my stuff: Miura Wedges, SM6 58* K Grind Wedge, Ping Vault Oslo Putter, Scotty Golo 5, cheap!
  • kharveykharvey  8Members Posts: 8
    Joined:  #347
    I just tested the 2018 Chromesoft X vs Pro V1X on Trackman with my driver. The Chromesoft spun 500rpm less (which is good news!) at about 2200 rpm. The only issue is that it also spun less with irons. Is it a problem if your 7i only spins 6000 rpm?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee...  3049Members Posts: 3,049
    Joined:  #348
    kharvey wrote:


    I just tested the 2018 Chromesoft X vs Pro V1X on Trackman with my driver. The Chromesoft spun 500rpm less (which is good news!) at about 2200 rpm. The only issue is that it also spun less with irons. Is it a problem if your 7i only spins 6000 rpm?


    not unless the landing angle was too shallow, no
    Posted:
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • MorryMorry  867Members Posts: 867
    Joined:  #349
    bcflyguy1 wrote:

    kharvey wrote:


    I just tested the 2018 Chromesoft X vs Pro V1X on Trackman with my driver. The Chromesoft spun 500rpm less (which is good news!) at about 2200 rpm. The only issue is that it also spun less with irons. Is it a problem if your 7i only spins 6000 rpm?


    not unless the landing angle was too shallow, no
    What landing angle should that be at then?

    i have similar spin on 7 iron as well....appreciated
    Posted:
    Ping G410 12.0 - Ventus Red 6R 
    TM M6 5W - Fuji Evo III 757 S
    Srixon U65 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85 6.0
    Taylormade 760 4-P - Modus 105-X
    Cleveland RTX-4 52, 56, 60 - Modus wedge 115,115,125
    Odyssey V-Line Fang O-Works - Stability Shaft 
    CS-X  
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee...  3049Members Posts: 3,049
    Joined:  edited Mar 29, 2018 #350
    That will depend on some other variables, but you should see plenty of stopping control unless you're playing in extremely baked out conditions (and if you are, playing a higher spinning ball isn't going to prevent you from having to adjust how you play shots). If the 7i was spinning at 6000 when struck well, I'd be shocked if the balls landing angle would be uncontrollably shallow. As long as spin rates and landing angles are reasonably consistent on well struck shots, you shouldn't have any trouble producing predictable results with a given ball.





    Another thing to remember about the axiom that goes "ideal spin rate for irons is the number on the sole X 1000" is for PGA players who:



    1. Generate a lot of spin due to their speed and quality/consistency of their ball striking

    2. With rare exceptions, don't play irons with the "juiced" lofts that most recreational players do

    3. Play on conditions much firmer and faster than most recreational players will ever see on a regular basis



    All that to say that striving for "iron number X 1000" spin rates is probably not necessary and could actually be detrimental.
    Posted:
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy  2094Members Posts: 2,094
    Joined:  #351
    Really like the 2018 version of this ball. If they were available at a lower price point, I would love them even more.



    They're just as good as the XV for me image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
  • ian-500ian-500  994Members Posts: 994
    Joined:  #352
    Hot Rod 71 wrote:

    ian-500 wrote:


    Anyone compare these to the Supersoft? Tried a Supersoft for the first time recently and thought it was very good, in feel as well as distance. Certainly as good as if not better than TM Lethal/TM Tour Preferred X/Srixon Soft Feel which I've been testing.........




    Supersoft is not a urethane cover ball like the Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X.




    I now have a sleeve of the 18' Chrome Soft to compare to the Supersoft. From what I've seen on youtube, the Supersoft is the lower spinning of the two. Bring on the test.....
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 430 8.5* + Tensei CK Pro Blue 60tx.
    Taylormade Original One 14.5* + Tensei CK Pro Blue 80tx.
    Epon AF-903 20 & 23 + OT Tour 120x.
    Epon AF-Tour 5i - PW + OT Tour 120x.
    Epon 208 KGX 53/59 + OT Tour 110x.
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MorryMorry  867Members Posts: 867
    Joined:  #353


    Really like the 2018 version of this ball. If they were available at a lower price point, I would love them even more.



    They're just as good as the XV for me image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    which one?

    i have gone xv to the csx myself
    Posted:
    Ping G410 12.0 - Ventus Red 6R 
    TM M6 5W - Fuji Evo III 757 S
    Srixon U65 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85 6.0
    Taylormade 760 4-P - Modus 105-X
    Cleveland RTX-4 52, 56, 60 - Modus wedge 115,115,125
    Odyssey V-Line Fang O-Works - Stability Shaft 
    CS-X  
  • zzilbzzilb  238Members Posts: 238
    Joined:  edited Mar 30, 2018 #354
    Huge fan of the chrome soft! I was given 100 prov1's and used those for a while and they were good, but never made me love them enough to justify buying them at their premium price. So when it came time to buy a ball, I looked for better value like the Q Star Tour and they were fine. Found a CS in the woods and played it for 45 holes and could not believe how much I loved it. First time I have ever loved a ball enough to be willing to pay a premium for it.



    Felt noticeably longer off the tee, and I loved the control around the green. Felt perfectly soft and I could stop the ball on a dime. Dicks had a good sale on the previous gen for $30/dz (which can also be found on ebay) so I stocked up. At $30/dz this ball cannot be beat.



    Also surprised how much I loved the Truvis! Originally thought it was ugly but for some reason I love it now.
    Posted:
  • PureSlicePureSlice  98Members Posts: 98
    Joined:  #355
    zzilb wrote:


    Found a CS in the woods and played it for 45 holes and could not believe how much I loved it. First time I have ever loved a ball enough to be willing to pay a premium for it.




    This is what happened to me and the Bridgestone Tour B330 RXs



    I have not tried the new CS but the 2017 and I didn't get along great and I don't know why. I thought I would love the ball but just didn't. Will try the 2018
    Posted:
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, Canada 1689Members Posts: 1,689
    Joined:  edited Apr 27, 2018 #356
    Really? I haven't tried these balls yet, (season just started) but how are these any different then say an XV? And what's with the low spin numbers? This is the complete opposite of what I expected to see. Never heard Rick compare the feel of a premium ball to a Top Flite before. Am I missing something?



    [media=]
    Posted:

    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

    • TS2
    • 716 MB 5-PW
    • MG 52 SB-09 | 56 LB-09 | 60 LB-09
    • Select Newport 2
    • ProV1x
  • craz-ecraz-e  4262Members Posts: 4,262
    Joined:  #357
    Recently picked up a box of the 2018 chromesoft after playing them for the last couple of years.

    Had a quick chip and putt with them and really didn’t enjoy the new click to them.

    They haven’t made it to my gamer ball as the taylormade project (a) has replaced the chromesoft
    Posted:
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Titleist 718 CB/MB Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8303Members Posts: 8,303
    Joined:  #358


    Really? I haven't tried these balls yet, (season just started) but how are these any different then say an XV? And what's with the low spin numbers? This is the complete opposite of what I expected to see. Never heard Rick compare the feel of a premium ball to a Top Flite before. Am I missing something?



    [media=]


    Probably not. It's .4% graphene... how is that going to change much? I'd be curious if all the tour guys are playing this exact version or if they play the old model or special balls like when it was rumored Phil got a modified Chrome Soft.
    Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | HZRDUS Smoke Black
    4w - '16 Tour Issue M1 | Diamana B Series
    3h - '17 Tour Issue M1 | Accra TZ6
    Irons - MP-20 SEL 4-PW | Modus 120
    GW - T20 50/7 | Modus 120
    SW - T20 54/8 | Modus 120
    LW - T20 58/12 | Modus 120
    P - Bettinardi 360-M
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS


  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, Illinois 5809Members Posts: 5,809
    Joined:  #359
    I was a CS fan for quite a while but the Snell Red is just too good and $10/dz. cheaper.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23 Hybrids 
    Mizuno MP 20SEL 6-PW
    Ping,54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3


    Snell MTB X
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, Canada 1689Members Posts: 1,689
    Joined:  #360
    lawsonman wrote:


    I was a CS fan for quite a while but the Snell Red is just too good and $10/dz. cheaper.




    I keep hearing good things about this ball. Think I'm going to have pick up a dozen.
    Posted:

    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

    • TS2
    • 716 MB 5-PW
    • MG 52 SB-09 | 56 LB-09 | 60 LB-09
    • Select Newport 2
    • ProV1x
14

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.