2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mevo vs SC200 vs ES14

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would refuse to do that, that is nuts. I do NOT wanna spend parts of my practice time sticking dots on balls.

OTOH, if you do it long enough, you might finally break the barrier and get back enough balls with dots already on them, to feel rewarded. But no, this is just...no :)

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

Ernst Sports is releasing a new monitor in May to replace (?) the 16. It is suppose to work indoors and outdoors, increased accuracy and no lunacy about aligning the ball logo for spin measurement.

I think it is meant to rival the GCQuad at about 2/3 the price.

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Should the spin numbers be thrown out the window if dots aren’t used?

That’s what some internet testers are saying. Numbers all over the place without the dots.

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Here is my personal reasons

I love my Voice Caddie SC100, Here is my Take.

yes the SC200 is a step up from the SC100, the specific reason is, the SC200 can adjust loft for the set club.

The SC100 has preset lofts for the selected club, example, PW 47*, 9 iron 44* etc etc, Gotta get the exact spec sheets. That being said with the new lofts, the 44* 9iron is some peoples current PW, so the numbers are not correct so the distances/calculations will not be as accurate.

With SC200 you can adjust this loft number to match the lofts of the actual club. To give a little more accurate distances.

I love the fact that it measure BOTH ballspeed and club head speed to give an accurate Smash Factor, For me, This tells me the quality of strike I am putting on the ball. I take the " PGA Trackman" Stats. Where some units only measure ball speed and have estimated or pre set smash factors

TM2013_Stats.jpg

Compare it to my results, PURELY on ball speed and smash factor, My goal is to replicate the same "Ball speed" for the maxed out smash factor.

My example. 1.38 is tour level Smash for a 6 iron. - I have average 6iron swing speed of 90mph. My Goal is to hit 124.2 mph ball speed as often as I can. this in my head means I am putting on an optimal strike and a repeatable strike.

So an and so on with each club and calculations LW to Driver. I love this as this lets me know if I am getting quality strikes. and having the means of repeating these quality strikes.

OK Now the draw backs.

1) Its calculated based, so, outside of the Ball speed and Swing speed, Distance is completely calculated with preset, "average" launch and spin numbers to give you calculated distances. SO the distance WILL likely be off. Personally, though on the course (not the range) with real balls and normal conditions it seem legit, But any outside influences like wind, elevated teeboxs etc....not so much, More so if you are using, range limited balls, the ball speeds vs swing speed will give you some odd smash factors..... so you have to take it for what its worth.

2) I haven not had issues with the unit not picking up the strike like many others have, BUT there are huge variances in distances when I catch a ball thin, or hook/slice etc. Again because it does not take "spin", loft/dynamic loft and Launch angle etc into real data, its all estimates.

So if you are looking for an accurate "distance" PLM, its a crap shoot, If you know the player, you have them setup for optimal launch conditions and you want to help them with a repeatable strike, then I think its perfect, especially if you have the "optimal" smash factors per club memorized. You take a swing, Look at the ball speed vs club speed, it will even show you the smash factor.....If its any where near optimal they are going to get the "right" distance, if its way off, like swing speed is high but ball speed is low then again you know they got issues.

Couple more tidbits.

I got my SC100 for $140 new on Ebay, SUPER LUCKY!!!!, The SC200 were running about $300 average..... I saved $160...... the only differences, was loft settings. I cheated, If the PW reading seemed off while hitting my PW, I just changed the SC100 to 9iron and hit my PW, and the numbers started to match my averages. If my 6iron was reading funny, I just changed the monitor to 5iron setting and all was right (distance wise).

Again though, there are preset, Launch and spin numbers for the iron selected, so that means the spin and launch may be higher and lower, but if you are just trying to get the "distance" number to jive, that was my trick.

the monitor automatically turns on to a 7iron, and I have hit driver by accident, it still picks up the ball speed and swing speed, (in other words lets say it picked up 100mph swing speed, with 145 ball speed. It still calculates, it, but it calculates that, I hit my 7 iron 100mph and balls speed of 145mph , with 6500rpms of spin at a launch angle of 17* with a loft pre set @ 35* so giving me a distance of 217 yards total. Some weird number like that....

But again this is the good part, it still picks up the ballspeed and swing speed and to me this is the greatest part about this monitor!

GL OP and have fun I use this unit EVERYTIME now at the range....

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry14630342

http://www.golfwrx.c.../#entry14876954

That being said, Golf is already expensive. A tool can only help so much.

IF YOU have the money, the MEVO seems to be the best price for options

ES14 is a Higher end price vs the MEVO

SC100/SC200 can be had used and it serves similar purposes.

SO depending on what your true usage is, If you want to setup a home range or just something to beat balls and get some numbers.... it comes down to price.

I will say this, WOULD NEVER give up my SC100 now for what I paid for and what it helped me accomplish!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I have a MEVO and just tried it for the first time a the local golf dome. The weather sucks in upstate NY so thats all I can test right now.

Overall, I am very pleased with it. I think I have to spend more time with it, but even without the silver dots it seemed quite accurate. I normally swing about 105mph and I was right around 102 or 103 with the 40 or so drives I hit. That seems correct seeing I am only going to the dome once every couple weeks vs. playing every day in the summer. Spin numbers for me were also accurate, again without the dots. around 2600-2800 for driver. Mind you, it does ALL spin. That is not just backspin.

The only thing I was a bit disappointed in was carry distance. I was around 240 to 245 which seems quite low. I dont know if that was because I was indoors with only about 90 yards of flight? or possibly lack of silver dots, but it wasnt just my driver. I have a VERY good understanding of my yardages. 8 iron is what I started with, thats about 155 carry for me. First few were 130, 132, 135. I mean thats 20 yards difference. I moved on to a 4 iron, 8 swings that averaged 178. I hit a 4 iron 200-205. Overall, yardages seem about 20 yards off throughout my bag.

It could have also been that the bottom on the MEVO was not on the same level as the bottom of the ball, which someone in here mentioned it needed to be. The ball sat about 2 inches higher than the MEVO then obviously even higher when on a tee. I need to get it outdoors to really come to a conclusion, but so far I am happy.

I like golf. A lot.

My driver swing speed is 102 mph on average. My average carry is under 250 yards. My 8 iron is my 140 yard club. My 5i is my 175 yard club. Knowing people strike irons differently, I’m not sure the LM was far off.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I have a MEVO and just tried it for the first time a the local golf dome. The weather sucks in upstate NY so thats all I can test right now.

Overall, I am very pleased with it. I think I have to spend more time with it, but even without the silver dots it seemed quite accurate. I normally swing about 105mph and I was right around 102 or 103 with the 40 or so drives I hit. That seems correct seeing I am only going to the dome once every couple weeks vs. playing every day in the summer. Spin numbers for me were also accurate, again without the dots. around 2600-2800 for driver. Mind you, it does ALL spin. That is not just backspin.

The only thing I was a bit disappointed in was carry distance. I was around 240 to 245 which seems quite low. I dont know if that was because I was indoors with only about 90 yards of flight? or possibly lack of silver dots, but it wasnt just my driver. I have a VERY good understanding of my yardages. 8 iron is what I started with, thats about 155 carry for me. First few were 130, 132, 135. I mean thats 20 yards difference. I moved on to a 4 iron, 8 swings that averaged 178. I hit a 4 iron 200-205. Overall, yardages seem about 20 yards off throughout my bag.

It could have also been that the bottom on the MEVO was not on the same level as the bottom of the ball, which someone in here mentioned it needed to be. The ball sat about 2 inches higher than the MEVO then obviously even higher when on a tee. I need to get it outdoors to really come to a conclusion, but so far I am happy.

Or just set MEVO on one of its boxes. They’re built sturdy for a reason.

Quick follow up on the SC200:

I feel it’s very accurate from 90 yards and up but not so much below that.

Also, as I’m a semi-beginner and don’t always hit my clubs flush, it seems to me it has difficulty reading shots with a lower trajectory. Some shots go lower but still have good distance, and these shots it reads long every time. So I assume it requires a perfect trajectory for each club to be accurate.

Concerning the short range accuracy: that’s way off too often to trust it. I can hit LW, SW, PW pretty consistently well, so that’s not a trajectory thing.

Too bad because the “Approach” mode is really fun and would be a great way to practice the shots around the green.

All in all, it’s still immensely helpful to zone in on club distances for a beginner like me. I have reliable numbers for each club from PW and up now, having put it a lot of range time with it. Also, I now know my swing speed with driver (90-95 mph) which helps with shaft selection.

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Or just set MEVO on one of its boxes. They’re built sturdy for a reason.

Yeah I thought about that while I was there, after I left the box home :(

I like golf. A lot.

Or just set MEVO on one of its boxes. They're built sturdy for a reason.

Yeah I thought about that while I was there, after I left the box home :(

I use 2 sleeves of balls to raise it up the hight of the mat. A small 2x4 works well also.

:golfer:

Spoiler

Stay the Course; and my the Course be with you!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem as you did. Inside the dome in Western New York. I am playing golf next week in Hilton Head, SC so I am going to see how that works.

I have got out twice this week, using the numbers from my SC200 I have been tracking all winter. It was +/- 1-2 yards. Man was it fun. Conditions on the first day were windy so it wasn't all that good at tracking shots. But the second day it was calm, I was on in regulation 7 times that never happens. A couple times pin high on the fringe.

As a side note I missed all the birds :russian_roulette:

:golfer:

Spoiler

Stay the Course; and my the Course be with you!

This was an interesting topic for me as I was thinking through the same things. I considered the MEVO, the ES12 and the SC200 and ended up with the SC200. My rationale was that I wanted to use it to see the variability in my good shots vs bad, and get an idea on carry distance instead of total distance. I know it has its limitations, as they all do, but decided this type of unit would be good enough until I retire (maybe 5 years or so out) when I’ll end up purchasing a higher end unit and set up some sort of simulator room. I am pretty happy with the SC200 for what it does.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

This was an interesting topic for me as I was thinking through the same things. I considered the MEVO, the ES12 and the SC200 and ended up with the SC200. My rationale was that I wanted to use it to see the variability in my good shots vs bad, and get an idea on carry distance instead of total distance. I know it has its limitations, as they all do, but decided this type of unit would be good enough until I retire (maybe 5 years or so out) when I’ll end up purchasing a higher end unit and set up some sort of simulator room. I am pretty happy with the SC200 for what it does.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet but I’m down to Mevo or SC200. I do all outdoor, no room for indoor at my current residence. Was it price, features, other that had you choosing the SC200 over Mevo?

I ordered a mevo this week, getting here on monday, excited to take it to the range and test it out.

"Fried Eggs Golf" just youtubed a video comparing Mevo with a GC2. Pretty interesting.

Saw the video. Confirms my core belief in MEVO.

The most important thing with MEVO is that the bottom of the unit is level with the ball bottom.

The most telling part of the whole video, other than the delivery from the Fried Eggs Golf guy which I really liked, was the delta between driver launch angle from MEVO inside versus MEVO outside.

Average launch angle outside was 2* higher than inside.

WHY?

Outside, MEVO was on the ground.

Inside, MEVO was set on the box.

If you get the height dialed in, it's as good as any high-priced unit for the measures it REPORTS (my emphasis added).

Makes me wonder how many measurements it could report if "unlocked."

If they made a mevo2 that didn't need metallic dots and gave spin axis for an affordable price they would have a complete game changer in the launch monitor market. I have a feeling they don't want to cannibalize their Xi+ unit that's about $5000. But seeing what the mevo is capable of at $500 makes me excited about the future. I don't think we're far away from a small, affordable launch monitor that gave the original Xi's data.

• 4 weeks later...

The SC200 is a horrible device. It is highly inaccurate. I have one that my kid got as a Christmas gift. We don't even use it anymore. The sensor for the barometric pressure and temperature are inaccurate the moment you turn the device on. The eye of the device does not read properly and has a difficult time with swing speed and ballspeed. I have another radar unit that my son uses and it is more accurate based on flight scope swing speeds. The SC200 is all over the place. I can put both of my radars side by side. The SC200 will read 83/88/87/83/90 while my other radar is consistently measuring 94-100 mph.

The range session and wedge game on it is a waste of time. Because the device is so inaccurate, it never measures a simple wedge shot correctly.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Check out the new LEVV GOLF app on the Apple App Store. It's a launch monitor for Apple iPhone and supports devices from the iPhone 6s and newer. Pretty sure you guys will love it.

Thanks. Downloading now.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.