2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Thai Golf

WahooJoe

All,

Played 7 times while in Thailand last month for vacay and thought I would give a quick summary.

First some background on golf in Thailand,

In my experience, there are basically 3 tiers of courses: 1) tops like Blue Canyon, Ayodyha Links, etc which are basically western priced affairs/conditions/designs, 2) mid-tiers which are typically about $70/round with caddy on a great courses that would be unavailable at this price range elsewhere in the world (this is where the value is for visitors), and 3) the Thai equivalent of a muni -- usually Army/Air Force courses, packed 6 hour rounds in conditions that leave you a bit lacking.

For golfers who love to walk, the mid tier offers a plethora of options at very affordable levels.

First round of the trip was a Panya Indra in Bangkok, with a good buddy of mine and my young son. We were 3rd group off the tee around 630am and made 18 by 930. Course was in great condition. Caddy was a walking GPS (caddy's in Thailand don't use rangefinders, so all the yardage is literally memorized).

2nd round was at Pinehurst, another Bangkok area course, located just north of the old airport. 27 holes and the 18 we played was in great condition. Teed off at 6am, done by 9 again. This course hosted the 1992 Johnnie Walker back and while the locker room/amentities are starting to show their age, the course itself still remains worth playing -- especially for price. All-in it was $70 (caddy, greens fees, snacks, etc). Ease of access via the expressway also makes this course relatively convenient.

After this, it was off to Khao Yai, about 2 hours north of the city for a stay at Rancho Charnvee resort and golf. Played the course twice and while it was beautiful design, the effects of the longer-term drought in the area were beginning to really take effect. You could tell the superintendent did a great job keeping the fairways/greens playable. Enjoy the design and undulations, particularly around the greens. And there were some unique holes on the route that made it worth playing multiple times. This course hosted a Thai LPGA event and has the ability to give the longer hitters a bit of a test. Price was same, $70/round.

Then it was back to BKK to finish the trip:

Played Vintage (off of Bang-na toward Pattaya) with an old friend. Bit of a dud of a course. Just flat, short, not much too it. Would not recommend it unless you're just looking for an inexpensive chance to go low. Way too many other courses in the area to recommend ahead of it.

Played Panya Indra one more time with a former Thai LPGA pro. She played the whites with us and it was a ton of fun watching her rip the course apart.

Lastly, finished up Muang-Ake Wang Noi, about an hour north of the city. This is more of a locals course, very affordable. Definitely a tier 3 course and not one that I would recommend for visitors. Note that there are two other Muang-Ake courses closer to Bangkok and much more playable in case they end up in your rotations.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='WahooJoe' timestamp='1444655334' post='12444824']
All,

Played 7 times while in Thailand last month for vacay and thought I would give a quick summary.

First some background on golf in Thailand,

In my experience, there are basically 3 tiers of courses: 1) tops like Blue Canyon, Ayodyha Links, etc which are basically western priced affairs/conditions/designs, 2) mid-tiers which are typically about $70/round with caddy on a great courses that would be unavailable at this price range elsewhere in the world (this is where the value is for visitors), and 3) the Thai equivalent of a muni -- usually Army/Air Force courses, packed 6 hour rounds in conditions that leave you a bit lacking.

For golfers who love to walk, the mid tier offers a plethora of options at very affordable levels.

First round of the trip was a Panya Indra in Bangkok, with a good buddy of mine and my young son. We were 3rd group off the tee around 630am and made 18 by 930. Course was in great condition. Caddy was a walking GPS (caddy's in Thailand don't use rangefinders, so all the yardage is literally memorized).

2nd round was at Pinehurst, another Bangkok area course, located just north of the old airport. 27 holes and the 18 we played was in great condition. Teed off at 6am, done by 9 again. This course hosted the 1992 Johnnie Walker back and while the locker room/amentities are starting to show their age, the course itself still remains worth playing -- especially for price. All-in it was $70 (caddy, greens fees, snacks, etc). Ease of access via the expressway also makes this course relatively convenient.

After this, it was off to Khao Yai, about 2 hours north of the city for a stay at Rancho Charnvee resort and golf. Played the course twice and while it was beautiful design, the effects of the longer-term drought in the area were beginning to really take effect. You could tell the superintendent did a great job keeping the fairways/greens playable. Enjoy the design and undulations, particularly around the greens. And there were some unique holes on the route that made it worth playing multiple times. This course hosted a Thai LPGA event and has the ability to give the longer hitters a bit of a test. Price was same, $70/round.

Then it was back to BKK to finish the trip:

Played Vintage (off of Bang-na toward Pattaya) with an old friend. Bit of a dud of a course. Just flat, short, not much too it. Would not recommend it unless you're just looking for an inexpensive chance to go low. Way too many other courses in the area to recommend ahead of it.

Played Panya Indra one more time with a former Thai LPGA pro. She played the whites with us and it was a ton of fun watching her rip the course apart.

Lastly, finished up Muang-Ake Wang Noi, about an hour north of the city. This is more of a locals course, very affordable. Definitely a tier 3 course and not one that I would recommend for visitors. Note that there are two other Muang-Ake courses closer to Bangkok and much more playable in case they end up in your rotations.

Cheers
[/quote]

Thanks for your reviews. I am getting ready to travel over to Thailand for golf myself. I have been three other times and have played someplace different each time. I've got Thai friends that can get on just about anywhere. My first trip I played Thai CC, and President CC, 2nd trip was Panya Indra, Windsor, and Siam CC (Old Course - site of Honda LPGA tournament). Last trip was Windsor, Krisda City Hills, Cascata, and Royal Gems Dream Golf.

The most interesting course was Royal Gems as the front nine are replicas of some famous golf holes around the world, and back nine is a replica of Augusta back nine.

Can't say enough about the caddies. I brought my rangefinder last trip and found that the caddies were pretty spot on. The rangefinder stays home this trip.

Don't know how much I will play, but I know I will be playing at a resort/spa about two hours northeast of the city called Kirimaya. Haven't heard too much about it, but looks pretty good.

Will try to post my review when I get back.

• 3 weeks later...

Played my first in Thailand this trip at Krisda City Hills. It's far from being the best in Thailand but you can't beat the price, 800 baht which included the caddy fee. The course is about 45 minutes from Bangkk, so it is one of the closet to the city. It looks like the greens were recently aerated but still in good condition. I had some decent holes but a couple of holes really screwed up my round. Overall I would give the course about a 6.

The clubhouse and restaurant facilities are worn down and in desperate need of a makeover. Although the restaurant was open when I walked in, there were no lights on and wasn't too sure if they were actually serving. The pad thai was good and the two Singhas I had really hit the spot.

Some pictures from today.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the report. I'm heading to BKK in Jan. I've played Pinehurst before (circa 2006) and Bangkok GC...hope to get in a few rounds.
Nice to hear Pinehurst still in good condition...yeah, I think I played one of the other Muang-Ake (Vista?) - I remember I was meeting someone and the taxi took me to the wrong place!!

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

[quote name='TerpFangolfer' timestamp='1450810715' post='12752392']
Thanks for the report. I'm heading to BKK in Jan. I've played Pinehurst before (circa 2006) and Bangkok GC...hope to get in a few rounds.
Nice to hear Pinehurst still in good condition...yeah, I think I played one of the other Muang-Ake (Vista?) - I remember I was meeting someone and the taxi took me to the wrong place!!
[/quote]

I'd also look at Pattavia, Khao Kheow, and Pleasant Valley all about an hours drive from Bangkok towards Pattaya.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

[quote name='garethw' timestamp='1450863949' post='12754928']
[quote name='TerpFangolfer' timestamp='1450810715' post='12752392']
[/quote]

I'd also look at Pattavia, Khao Kheow, and Pleasant Valley all about an hours drive from Bangkok towards Pattaya.
[/quote]
Cool...thanks!

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

• 1 month later...

Didn't have time to venture away from the city...played Bangkok GC & Pinehurst again.

Bgc was really playing fast & firm...greens stimping at11.5. Rough scoring conditions for someone who hadn't swung a club since late Oct. But enjoyed both rounds and beats being stuck back in DC!

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

• 1 month later...

Played my first in Thailand this trip at Krisda City Hills. It's far from being the best in Thailand but you can't beat the price, 800 baht which included the caddy fee. The course is about 45 minutes from Bangkk, so it is one of the closet to the city. It looks like the greens were recently aerated but still in good condition. I had some decent holes but a couple of holes really screwed up my round. Overall I would give the course about a 6.

The clubhouse and restaurant facilities are worn down and in desperate need of a makeover. Although the restaurant was open when I walked in, there were no lights on and wasn't too sure if they were actually serving. The pad thai was good and the two Singhas I had really hit the spot.

The course has gotten better recently. The owner of the course (and the surrounding Krisda Residence) was sentenced to jail for bank fraud or something similar, and the course is now owned by a bank. The new management fired the old manager who was totally clueless about how to run a golf course, and the new manager is much, much better.

Near Krisda, I would recommend you to try Royal Gems Golf, probably 15 minutes closer to Bangkok.

The course has gotten better recently. The owner of the course (and the surrounding Krisda Residence) was sentenced to jail for bank fraud or something similar, and the course is now owned by a bank. The new management fired the old manager who was totally clueless about how to run a golf course, and the new manager is much, much better.

Near Krisda, I would recommend you to try Royal Gems Golf, probably 15 minutes closer to Bangkok.

Glad Krisda is improving. I enjoyed the course, but like I said the clubhouse needs a lot of TLC. I played Royal Gems Salaya as well. Again it was a nice course and a lot of junior golfers were playing the day I was there. I was told by one of the members I was playing with that the owner is concentrating more on the Royal Gems Golf City (which I played as well).

Glad Krisda is improving. I enjoyed the course, but like I said the clubhouse needs a lot of TLC. I played Royal Gems Salaya as well. Again it was a nice course and a lot of junior golfers were playing the day I was there. I was told by one of the members I was playing with that the owner is concentrating more on the Royal Gems Golf City (which I played as well).

Wow it seemed you play several courses around Nakhon Pathom area, a bit further are courses like Nikanti, Suwan and Rose Garden if you swing by next time, I highly recommend these three if you have not played them yet. Btw, what's the rates for RGGC? I'm planning to play there with couple of buddies when they're free.

• 1 month later...

I play in Bangkok a couple times a year and the best courses I have found are Thai Country Club and Alpine Country Club. They are on the expensive end but beautiful courses with great club houses.

Let me know if any GolfWRXer make it out to Asia and we can make an outing! I'm currently based out of HK and actually traveling to Phuket tomorrow, will try and get a round in at Red Mountain next week.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess this is too late, but I saw an ad for indoor simulator golf in BKK...not sure exactly where - somewhere near Sukumvhit, I think? I've never seen a range there except for at the course - most of which are far out of the city.

Played Navatanee for the 1st time on this last trip...nice layout, enjoyed the round. Finished birdie-birdie with a 2 on 17 (hit tee shot to 5') and then knocked on the fringe in 2 on 18 and up & down

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...