Rory worked with Brad Faxon on his putting this week.

Jagpilotohio

Oh, Brad Faxon probably got a nice Edible Arrangements with extra chocolate covered honeydew melons. :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, Nike equipment was horrible. However, I will specify that as far as our store, if you wanted "Nike" we would do our best to talk you out of it, unless you were willing to pay for Nike OVEN, which was the premium Tour side we had access to. Different feel, materials, and incredibly more expensive. You know, the stuff that worked.

Most Nike golf stuff belonged in an oven.

I can still remember hitting one of their square monstrosities. My initial thought was “what the **** is this ****”? Almost as bad as a SLDR-C.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Frankly, Nike equipment was horrible. However, I will specify that as far as our store, if you wanted "Nike" we would do our best to talk you out of it, unless you were willing to pay for Nike OVEN, which was the premium Tour side we had access to. Different feel, materials, and incredibly more expensive. You know, the stuff that worked.

I can still remember hitting one of their square monstrosities. My initial thought was “what the **** is this ****”? Almost as bad as a SLDR-C.

I remember trying the 5900. It was louder than a Cobra driver at the time, and THAT was something. I still have a playing partner that uses a SLDR-C. Horrible. I even offered to GIVE him my old 915 to be rid of it. You try to help people sometimes....

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

Faxon owes Rory as much as vice versa.I imagine there will be a line of pro's around the block wanting to take lessons from him.

A lot of pros go to him. The PGA Show he said he worked with a few, but of course wouldn't name names. But the man is a magician with the flatstick.

glad I have never been to your store then.

Who cares if Nike stuff was good or bad, he played very well at the weekend and he won.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

glad I have never been to your store then.

Who cares if Nike stuff was good or bad, he played very well at the weekend and he won.

That's fine. But we could prove it with actually data and feel between different clubs, as any store should be doing. When you're 10 miles from The Oven, we could get what we wanted. Even they admitted the retail stuff wasn't the same.

I remember trying the 5900. It was louder than a Cobra driver at the time, and THAT was something. I still have a playing partner that uses a SLDR-C. Horrible. I even offered to GIVE him my old 915 to be rid of it. You try to help people sometimes....

You play golf with Bobcat? I always assumed you to be normal, and not in to self flagellation.

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

I'm so old, I can recall when Rory's putting made a quantum leap after working with Dave Stockton, and he made everything in sight on the way to destroying the field at the U.S. Open at Congressional.

Seems like he needs to be regularly plugged into someone that knows what he's doing on the greens in order to maintain that sharpness.

lol Nike driver bad? single highest Ball speed i ever saw was with a Vapor Speed head..... and the best Feeling driver ive ever hit is My TW Vapor speed glued Oven 2 dot head... Tiger cold say he played some bad nike heads.. BUT Rory ddint go to nike until after they had already been making really good stuff......

No, their drivers were just poorly designed and the other poster was right - they actually kept getting worse. Sad.

Nearly every Nike player switched out drivers and gained yards. OK maybe sound was fine, and maybe ballspeed - but they all had a really high and forward CG. That cavity-back design was really awful. Higher spin and less forgiving.

Rory had a breakout round because he was overdue. Things came together.

Faxon. 8 wins and no majors. Faxon.

Sure. Pure coincidence that he met with Faxon and his putting went from absolute shite to #1.

I agree he was overdue, but sometimes you need some help to straighten you out. Nothing wrong with acknowledging the guy who helped you.

Here is my take on Rory. Can he follow it up, contend and finish strong or win again soon? As history has shown - probably not. He's a head case.

He took a suggestion and he made some putts.

At the 86 Masters Jack told his son to remind him to keep his head down while putting.

Does that make Jackie a hero or somewhat responsible for the win in 86? Nope.

My point - lots of solid putters on tour presently and through the years.

Most of them have NOT consulted with Brad Faxon.

If he wants to consult with someone - he should consult with a winner. These little suggestions from Faxon will not stand up under the pressure of a major.

Sure. Pure coincidence that he met with Faxon and his putting went from absolute shite to #1.

I agree he was overdue, but sometimes you need some help to straighten you out. Nothing wrong with acknowledging the guy who helped you.

Here is my take on Rory. Can he follow it up, contend and finish strong or win again soon? As history has shown - probably not. He's a head case.

At the 86 Masters Jack told his son to remind him to keep his head down while putting.

If he wants to consult with someone - he should consult with a winner. These little suggestions from Faxon will not stand up under the pressure of a major.

Utter nonsense.

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Rory knows how to win a major. Faxon had a terrible long game, if he didn't put the way he did none of us would have heard of him. He must know a thing or 2 about putting.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56D & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist - Pro V1

Utter nonsense.

Okay. Let's revisit this topic after the first major.

Phil has a far better chance of winning the Augusta Masters.

I haven't played a lot of Nike stuff but my SQ2 3 wood has been in the bag at least 8 years and isn't going anywhere. I also played the Covert 2.0 tour driver for over a year. It significantly outperformed everything else I tried when I tested it on a launch monitor.

Tommy Fleetwood is still gaming the VR pro irons.

Utter nonsense.

Okay. Let's revisit this topic after the first major.

Phil has a far better chance of winning the Augusta Masters.

So if Rory doesn't win the Masters, you think what you said will have been justified? That's ridiculous.

By your rationale, if you haven't won a major, you shouldn't give advice to others. Tell me, how many majors have Pelz, Foley, Harman, Haney etc won between them, or even tour wins for that matter? From the top of my head the only "respected" coach out there with major victories is Dave Stockton.

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Re: By your rationale, if you haven't won a major, you shouldn't give advice to others. Tell me, how many majors have Pelz, Foley, Harman, Haney etc won between them, or even tour wins for that matter? From the top of my head the only "respected" coach out there with major victories is Dave Stockton.

No, that is not what I am saying. While taking nothing away from a fantastic score of 64 and his win, I am saying band-aids don't work. True in golf and true in life. They fail the test of time. Overall game confidence and putting prowess takes more than a mere suggestion from a marginal tour player.

Something to ponder:

If Rory's putting is "only okay" the next time out, is Faxon to blame?

Apparently so, right?

Re: By your rationale, if you haven't won a major, you shouldn't give advice to others. Tell me, how many majors have Pelz, Foley, Harman, Haney etc won between them, or even tour wins for that matter? From the top of my head the only "respected" coach out there with major victories is Dave Stockton.

No, that is not what I am saying. While taking nothing away from a fantastic score of 64 and his win, I am saying band-aids don't work. True in golf and true in life. They fail the test of time. Overall game confidence and putting prowess takes more than a mere suggestion from a marginal tour player.

Something to ponder:

Apparently so, right?

We don’t know what they worked on..if wish we did. If its just mental stuff and a change in putter/length it could be a w.o.o.t type of tip. I hope not but whatever it was it changed his reads by a insane amout..the dude has a freaking 5 putt a couple of months ago

Something to ponder:

Apparently so, right?

Faxon has 8 PGA Tour wins. That's not a "marginal tour player". That puts him 127th on the all-time list. Who says the advice he gave McIlroy is simply a band-aid? It could lead to a fundamental change in his outlook when putting, and could reap long term rewards.

I will ponder what you said. I have pondered it, and concluded it to be absolute nonsense (again).

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

WRONG! On so many levels....maybe you didn't like the name or color scheme, but nothing was horrible about Nike gear in particular players segment.....

Something to ponder:

Apparently so, right?

Faxon has 8 PGA Tour wins. That's not a "marginal tour player". That puts him 127th on the all-time list. Who says the advice he gave McIlroy is simply a band-aid? It could lead to a fundamental change in his outlook when putting, and could reap long term rewards.

I will ponder what you said. I have pondered it, and concluded it to be absolute nonsense (again).

Considering this: It could lead to a fundamental change in his outlook when putting, and could reap long term rewards."

Answer the question, please.

If Rory has trouble with his putting the next time out, is it Faxon's fault?

I remember when all the folks on here were bashing one of the Nike sumo drivers for lack of distance. Then a few weeks later it was recalled for being too hot. Only on GolfWRX.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

I remember when all the folks on here were bashing one of the Nike sumo drivers for lack of distance. Then a few weeks later it was recalled for being too hot. Only on GolfWRX.

Like clockwork: Applaud Faxon this week, not only his great advice but his acclaimed career as well, and then stomp on him after Rory's next three putt.

Like clockwork: Applaud Faxon this week, not only his great advice but his acclaimed career as well, and then stomp on him after Rory's next three putt.

Making stuff up isn't going to make your posts any more credible.

Rory had the best putting week of his career after taking advice from Faxon who was widely regarded as one of the best putters on tour for a long time. Those are the facts.

You know you are on GolfWRX when you have amateur golfers calling Faxon's putting prowess and knowledge into question ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Something to ponder:

Apparently so, right?

Considering this: It could lead to a fundamental change in his outlook when putting, and could reap long term rewards."

Answer the question, please.

If Rory has trouble with his putting the next time out, is it Faxon's fault?

Of course it won’t be Faxon’s fault. Are you insane? If Rory misses the next cut due to putting, people won’t be burning effigies of Faxon on the streets of Holywood.

PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

WRONG! On so many levels....maybe you didn't like the name or color scheme, but nothing was horrible about Nike gear in particular players segment.....

I get the flaming. I really do; but we backed it up with data. When you have guys from the Oven saying there's a difference and confirmed what we were seeing, I don't know what to tell you. If someone wanted Nike, we got it from the Tour side.

Rory is doing exactly what he's done since he's been on tour. He's the streakiest top player in the game with the putter and the AP was no different. He didn't just find something with Faxon that he didn't find with Stockton. He's streaky with the flat stick. Always was and always will be.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO