Speed without yanking the handle?

ebrasmus21

Some thoughts after playing today.

1. Pured a few Drives. Pured a long iron into a par 5. Pured a couple of wedges. Distances were up on the good shots. This is because I'm able to use my legs to generate power now.
  2. Hit plenty of bad shots.
  3. Really inconsistent ball striking. During my lesson the ball striking was so good. Today playing not so much
  4. I think the ball striking has to do with my grip pressure and my take away. I need to figure out a consistent grip-pressure that works for me and I need to stop pulling with my right hand in the take away.
  5. My hamnstrings are so tight. I played basketball my entire life and I've know that my hamstrings are tight for many many years. From my lesson I know I'm in the right setup position because my hamstrings are on fire. Need to get more flexible in this area.
  6. Gonna take reps to get this
  7. Practicing my grip and my setup right now watching the Olympics.

P.S.

I want to give a special shout out to Dan Drake (prolific poster here). Dan, I saw, posted in several threads regarding keeping track of strokes gained and using a strokes gained spreadsheet. I'm a perfect stranger to Dan but I sent him a PM to ask if he could send me his spreadsheet and walk me through its use. Let me say this - Dan is passionate about being a PGA Professional. He doesn't know me, yet he called me this morning [FL --> CA] because he wanted to make sure I was 100% comfortable using his spreadsheet and understanding in its capabilities. He explained how using the spreadsheet can help facilitate practicing in an efficient manner and gave me examples from his personal game. The ability to connect with Dan and his willingness to help a stranger are EXACTLY what makes this site great. Thank you Dan.

I'll be practicing as much as I can this week. Hitting balls, focusing on my setup and especially my grip and takeaway. Today the pure shots felt effortless but it's far from consistent at this point. Reps and practice all this week.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I'm not sure if your lessons are on grass or on mats but hitting off mats is much easier. Just loosen up those hammys( plenty of stretching drills on the net) Regripping the club is hard to get rid of. I also did it slightly and I'm not sure if I ever completely got rid of it. Keep at it.

I've always looked my best off mats. Interestingly enough my lesson was on turf when I was hitting it great. This morning, when I was warming up for the round they had us hitting off of mats and I was pulling everything. Maybe pulled 3 or 4 shots today during my round but on the mats it was all left.

The whole grip pressure thing is so new to me. Right now I feel like I'm starting from scratch in that respect; I don't know if I want to have light - medium or heavy pressure nor do I have a good feel when all is equal between right and left hand. I'm getting a feeling that grip pressure will be absolutely key for me to gain any consistency.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

1st Week of Practice:

Monday hit balls and focused only on what Cindy told me to do. Working on posture and balance. Also getting used to the new feeling of this swing. Hit the ball pretty good overall.

Tuesday – Thursday I was out of town for work. I still tried to practice my setup routine in the mirror in my hotel room. This was actually a pretty good way to pass the time watching the Olympics. Thursday night when I got back I hit balls for a couple of hours. I did not hit the ball great on Thursday. It felt like I was wearing a lead jacket or something. It just felt like I couldn’t move. I took a video of my swing and texted it to Cindy. She saw I had too much weight in my heels and she said its difficult to move from that position (see youtube).

Today after work I hit balls for about 45 minutes. Still working on nothing else but my setup and having my weight spread evenly across my entire foot (not just my heels). This made me feel like I could move much easier and consequently I hit the ball pretty damn solid the entire session. I hit the ball where was aiming on the majority of shots. I hit some bad and some mediocre but overall, I’m pleased with today. I also texted a video of today’s swing to Cindy and she liked what it looked like much more than Thursday. I’ll post a video of each video to youtube.

I’m not sure why but I have a problem getting my body through the ball. My body doesn’t seem to rotate enough through the downswing but I’m sure I’ll have a chance to work on that with Cindy. Right now she doesn't want me to focus on that.

The grind will continue this weekend with more range time, more reps and more focus on my setup.

Miscellaneous practicing:

- Watching the Olympics back at home and I’m going through my setup routine with a SW over and over again. Grip, grip pressure, posture and ball position

- Every time I use the restroom at work I go through my setup routine in the mirror twice. This is awkward I guess doing it in the work bathroom but I have no shame right now. My boss walked in and all he said was “working on your game eh?”

- Haven’t counted any of my reps this week but its been a decent amount of work.

• Crappy Range Session:

• Better Range Session:

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Your swing looks good. The sound of impact is crisp. Is your instructor good with you being so bent over at the waist? I know she wrote some kind of dissertation on the back and golf. Keep at it. By the way how's your short game? That can cut 3-6 shots off your score if your dialed in.

Thanks Jack. She is pretty happy with my setup position right now. She really wants my chest pointed at the ball. Before my chest was much higher and I had too much flex in my knees.

Short game is terrible right now. I would say it's never been a strength but right now its worse then ever. I have another lesson with Cindy next Saturday which will be on short-game. Who knows if I'm going to get to scratch or not but I fully believe I can get three strokes better just on my short game.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Wanted to post a down the line comparison from today and last summer. Just from making the setup changes I've added distance and height to my shots. I've actually never hit the ball higher than I am right now. It's a very noticeable difference in trajectory.

Played 18 today and struggled. It's so easy to fall back into my bad habits that I'm actually glad I played just to show myself how much work I have to do and how much I have to commit and be focused on exactly what I'm doing. It requires a lot of concentration right now. That being said I hit some absolute gems today and that feels great.

• Summer of 2017:

• Today:

I want to keep posting videos of my swing to see how it changes over time. I can see some things that I'd like to improve upon and change but I'm going to follow my what my instructor says and only work on things as they are discussed and introduced to me. At this point in time Cindy only wants me to work on my setup and balance.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

2nd Lesson 3/3/18

Well a couple of people asked why I was bent so far over in the videos I’ve been posting and it turns out I was over doing it, Lol. Today at my lesson we softened by posture a little bit and it felt much more comfortable and as a result I’m not so hinged at the hips.

Cindy noticed a swing flaw that was creating more problems in the downswing. Starting in the backswing my right arm wasn’t working quiet right and it was restricting my shoulder turn.

Cindy wants a soft right arm in the backswing and I was keeping my arm straight for too long in the take-away. Doing this restricted my shoulder turn and was causing my posture to change during the swing because I couldn’t finish my shoulder turn I was trying to lift my arms and hands to finish the swing. These positions were making it difficult for me to rotate my hips through the ball and finish nice and tall on my left side. I was kind of releasing the clubhead with just hands rather than having my body rotation release the club for me. It just felt like my hips were stuck and left me flat footed in my right foot.

She had me put a cut down pool noodle under my right armpit to help me understand the feeling with the right arm. Again, I was amazed how much it immediately helped with my shoulder rotation. Same for the body rotation – on the first swing I was able to get all the way to my left side.

I don’t know how to articulate this as well as my instructor but the way she teaches the swing she’s trying to get the body into a position to use the ground to help generate power.

The way the setup works into the take-way that works into the shoulder turn that includes how the hips are turning – it’s all of these things working appropriately to allow for power to be transferred from the ground up.

I would say the results proved Cindy’s point because the green I was hitting into nicely during my warmup I was airmailing after I got into a groove with the pool noodle.

So this was a great lesson and I hit a lot of solid shots. But they weren’t all solid. I shanked two, bladed at least three and hit some more that were weak pushes.

For me it’s all about a smooth take-away that leads into a good swing. If I rip the club up with my right hand I’m dead (I’m prone to do this). If I sway off the ball because I’m jerky I’m dead. When I did these moves my shots sucked. When my take-away was controlled and smooth the shot might not have been perfect but it was a decent miss.

Part of my game has included round-destroying shots like shanks and bladed irons. If I can incorporate misses that aren’t so horrendous I think that will go a long ways to my goal of getting to scratch.

I’ll post some new videos tomorrow while I practice using the pool noodle.

Also, bogeypro if you're out there I think you were right about practicing for a while before heading out to the course. It's stress free practicing but not so much playing. I'm in a grint league so I need to post a score in March but the rest of the month I'll just grind on the range I think.

Thanks to everyone who's following and commenting. I'm happy to share in the hopes that something I say might help someone else.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Don’t be to hard on yourself. You have a good looking swing and are making adjustments to make it more effective. Sounds like you are making the most of the time that you have available for golf with lessons, practicing and playing and have an instructor who you enjoy and trust. Keep the updates coming and enjoy the journey.

Don’t be to hard on yourself. You have a good looking swing and are making adjustments to make it more effective. Sounds like you are making the most of the time that you have available for golf with lessons, practicing and playing and have an instructor who you enjoy and trust. Keep the updates coming and enjoy the journey.

Thanks Jack. I’m actually excited about practicing and grinding on my game. Working with an instructor has given me hope that there’s a lot more left in the tank. I can get better and I hope to document some of that here

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

As I mentioned to you in our DMs, you have everything it takes to get to scratch and better. Your'e the student instructors hope walks through the door. You got to a 4 on your own which displays alot of talent on its own. Ill be following your progress and wish you luck but most importantly enjoy the process. The most important advice mentally I can give you is be prepared to watch your scores climb in the short term and you might be hitting some terrible shots when you play moving forward. Dont get discouraged by this!!! i cant stress this enough. It will get better but slowly.

As for your newer action you have some Brendan Steele in you with your posture. The one question i would have is have you been fit for your clubs? is your instructor working on your balance and where your weight is in your feet? really excited to see how far you go.Have fun!!!

Heres a drill for you to look at. you can do this at home as a rehearsal. youll activate your hips a little more and get proper rotation

[media=]

[/media]

As I mentioned to you in our DMs, you have everything it takes to get to scratch and better. Your'e the student instructors hope walks through the door. You got to a 4 on your own which displays alot of talent on its own. Ill be following your progress and wish you luck but most importantly enjoy the process. The most important advice mentally I can give you is be prepared to watch your scores climb in the short term and you might be hitting some terrible shots when you play moving forward. Dont get discouraged by this!!! i cant stress this enough. It will get better but slowly.

As for your newer action you have some Brendan Steele in you with your posture. The one question i would have is have you been fit for your clubs? is your instructor working on your balance and where your weight is in your feet? really excited to see how far you go.Have fun!!!

Heres a drill for you to look at. you can do this at home as a rehearsal. youll activate your hips a little more and get proper rotation

[media=]

[/media]

Thanks for the drill, I'll be giving this a try today!

As for the new action I'll try to post some new videos today where I'm not quite as hinged over. My instructor said I was over doing it with the posture at address.

I did get fit for my irons but that was with my old setup position and my swing was a mess when I was there to begin with so that fitting might not mean much at this point. I have another fitting scheduled for the end of this month.

You also made a good observation about my balance and weight in my feet. In most cases I've been setting up with too much weight in my heels. My instructor has been working with me on this as something that has to fundamentally get better for me to improve. We spent a good amount of time talking about exactly this in my lesson.

It will take some time to put all these piece together but I'm excited for the challenge.

Lastly, LH, I remember a post you made about Tiger when he was on the range with a glove under his right armpit. That's what my instructor has me doing right now and it helps me tremendously with the feel I'm going for. I'll be using that drill a lot from now on when I'm practicing.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Haven't shown you guys the big dog yet. Excited to see where this swing goes from here. Hit both of these solid but still not getting to my left side like I'd like to. Should be able to make some nice improvements :drinks:

Driver Face On:

Driver DTL:

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Looks good. Does your instructor want you swinging up on the ball with the driver? Also your last move before you start your backswing is to extend the club out to the ball. Is that your move or something your instructor is advocating. Keep it going!!

We haven’t talked about swinging up on the ball so I’m not sure her thoughts. As far as I know I’ve always swung up with the driver.

The last thing where I extend to the ball... I had to think about it but I think that’s just something I’ve always done. Not something my instructor has given an opinion on. Are you asking out curiosity or do you think it’s leading to something else?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I think that move is fairly common with a driver as it encourages more of a sweeping reaching motion. If you are hitting your driver well I would just sttick with what works. For me I usually start my backswing with a bend of the knees before I start the club back. We all have different triggers. I’m definitely not as knowledgeable about swing mechanics as most on this forum but am asking more for curiosity sake. I like your posture better in this latest video. Have a good evening.

I think that move is fairly common with a driver as it encourages more of a sweeping reaching motion. If you are hitting your driver well I would just sttick with what works. For me I usually start my backswing with a bend of the knees before I start the club back. We all have different triggers. I’m definitely not as knowledgeable about swing mechanics as most on this forum but am asking more for curiosity sake. I like your posture better in this latest video. Have a good evening.

Thanks Jack. With driver I’d rather reach a little rather than stand on top of the ball so I suppose that might help me feel more comfortable before I swing. Sometimes however I reach too much and then I can’t stop myself from hooking the ball.

I agree, this setup feels much more comfortable here than in my other videos. Take care.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

***Disclaimer*** I'm not claiming that I'm doing this drill perfectly but I think its decent. I was struggling with my swing today hitting plenty of pushes and 5 shanks.

Quick post to show you guys the pool noodle drill. My instructor has me doing this to promote a soft right arm in the takeaway. My right arm is too stiff at the moment and its causing me to struggle finishing my shoulder turn. Doing this drill helps me get the feel of how the right arm is working.

Crazy how short this swing is yet its a full shoulder turn. Plenty of power in the short swing too.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Nice drill. Some instructors have you using under both arms like Leadbetter while Ballard is mainly concerned about the lead arm staying connected. I think good instructors grab the best ideas from other instructors. When the video started you were way bent over again but before you start your swing you straighten up. Keep it going. Your instructor had to be loving your dedication.

Nice drill. Some instructors have you using under both arms like Leadbetter while Ballard is mainly concerned about the lead arm staying connected. I think good instructors grab the best ideas from other instructors. When the video started you were way bent over again but before you start your swing you straighten up. Keep it going. Your instructor had to be loving your dedication.

I'm really exaggeration that initial moment where I'm super bent over. I'm just trying to be very deliberate with my arm hang before I get set up. It's feeling better and more natural but I still have to really concentrate getting into position. I'm hoping with a few hundred more reps (or more) I can just step into position without having to think so much.

My instructor was telling me when and why she uses towels or head-covers under one arm rather than the other. I can't remember the reasons she gave other than why she has me doing this drill.

Today I was at the range for two hours. Hit 9 iron and 7 iron for pretty much the whole session. I'd hit 5 shots with the pool-noodle and 5 without - repeat. Over and over.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Here's a question for you guys. What do you think of my right foot in the finish? I feel like I'm getting through the ball much better and I feel that I'm really getting over to my left hip/left foot in the follow through but that right foot doesn't roll over much. Should that matter to me?

I'm hitting the ball much better. Much more consistent ball flight and much more consistent contact.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

• 2 weeks later...

Lesson 3 3/10/18

Short game lesson. My short game historically I would say has been mediocre at best, by grade I’d give myself a C-. So I was looking forward to this lesson very much.

Little bit about my short game: I’m handsy. That’s just how I’ve always done it. Not for any particular reason but for almost all short game shots I’ve been very wristy/handsy. Sadly, for the most part, I hit my chips and pitches out on the toe of the club. The way my instructor teaches short game is the exact opposite.

She likes to have no hand action at all in green side chipping. All big muscles to perform low, mid and high trajectory shots.

So at the lesson we talked about the setup and execution of these shots and of course it felt completely foreign to me. But once I was up and running I was finding the center of the clubface consistently (which is uncommon for my shortgame).

Really basic stuff like keeping everything the same except for ball position to change trajectory but keep the mechanics the same.

Someone on Tour that seems to keep the hands out of things is Steve Stricker. That’s just my observation at least so I’m trying to channel my inner Stricker now. I’ll just to post a video of the action here soon.

Practicing shortgame is going well. I notice that any time my hands get involved it screws everything up. Also if my tempo is too slow it screws up my strike. I’m learning that my chipping tempo is speeding up and as a result it seems to be improving the quality and consistency of my strike.

My next lesson with Cindy will be some more short game stuff and then into the driver. My driver swing is a mess right now. Maybe I’m fighting my old self a lot.

Can anyone tell me why I swing so damn far from the inside? It’s like I’m swinging so far from the inside that if I didn’t early extend I’d have no chance to even make contact.

This is a terrible swing from yesterday and I’m convinced that if I didn’t early-extend I wouldn’t have even been able to hit the ball. As far as I can tell its because I’m so inside – anyone have ideas why?

[media=]

[/media]

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Looks like weight is out over toes - put an alignment stick on the back of your right shoulder and it'll point well past your knees and down to the end of your toes - can't help your balance.

You don't appear to have any lateral move in your transition, you start rotating right away which gets your right hip in front of your arms and though they are shallow you are getting stuck so EE. You also don't regain your flexion in transition and your chest immediately begins to work away from the ball - need to start with the left shoulder staying down and feel like it's going a little lower , ie add some left side bend in transition. Again even with shallow club, you are getting further away from the ball so you need to extend your arms early to reach it.

A face on would confirm to if you start raising that left shoulder early too.

My 2 cents. And my first lesson was setup and it took me months of going between too bent over, too upright, bit too far, bit too close. I still check it weekly via a mirror, Monte's arm hang, and getting an alignment stick hanging off the right shoulder, down just in front of my knees, and to the balls of my feet. It takes time. And unlike you I also had a flatish shoulder turn to deal with, yikes.

Keep up with your instructor. My work paid off big time in year 3 but in year 1&2 I never got worse but did see glimpses - just had to stick with the direction of the instruction.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Looks like weight is out over toes - put an alignment stick on the back of your right shoulder and it'll point well past your knees and down to the end of your toes - can't help your balance.

You don't appear to have any lateral move in your transition, you start rotating right away which gets your right hip in front of your arms and though they are shallow you are getting stuck so EE. You also don't regain your flexion in transition and your chest immediately begins to work away from the ball - need to start with the left shoulder staying down and feel like it's going a little lower , ie add some left side bend in transition. Again even with shallow club, you are getting further away from the ball so you need to extend your arms early to reach it.

A face on would confirm to if you start raising that left shoulder early too.

My 2 cents. And my first lesson was setup and it took me months of going between too bent over, too upright, bit too far, bit too close. I still check it weekly via a mirror, Monte's arm hang, and getting an alignment stick hanging off the right shoulder, down just in front of my knees, and to the balls of my feet. It takes time. And unlike you I also had a flatish shoulder turn to deal with, yikes.

Keep up with your instructor. My work paid off big time in year 3 but in year 1&2 I never got worse but did see glimpses - just had to stick with the direction of the instruction.

This was a better swing from a couple of weeks back. I was hitting the ball decent on this day but here is face on.

right now with all full swings but especially with the driver I'm having a difficult time getting comfortable at address.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Hey, I'd talk about the cause(s) of your EE with your instructor at that next lesson. You never mentioned if you talked about an overall swing plan with her. The beauty of having some regular instruction.

I'd add that with your current move with your chest backing away from the ball, when you do begin to address the EE, you are going to be getting closer to the ground (with your chest) in the downswing and this will make the changes you are going through with setup seem like child's play. You only get about a few inches closer than when you are at setup but given a long time of backing off and extending the arms early to reach the ball it'll feel like you are about to eat some dirt. LOL. Been there and stuck quite a few clubs into the ground behind the ball. Training out of early extending the right arm, at least for me, has been and is a continued work.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

I think lessons are 100% needed and super important, but they can only take you so far, IMO. They helped me so much with my long game, but you can't become great around the greens hitting into a screen or off a mat. The various lies and skills needed, again.. In my opinion, can only be gained from practice outside during real rounds, or practicing on a realistic surface.

Over the past 3 months I've gotten so much better off the tee from lessons and more indoor practicing on trackman. However, I'm still garbage around the greens because I'm only playing 3-4 times a month, and I'm still not experienced enough as I'm still beginning. My goal this year is to actually play less during the summer, and go hit chips around the green for an hour every week. Usually I'd play a quick round Fri and once again on the weekend, but I'm going to cut the Friday round for as many chips and putts on real greens as I can.

I think lessons are 100% needed and super important, but they can only take you so far, IMO. They helped me so much with my long game, but you can't become great around the greens hitting into a screen or off a mat. The various lies and skills needed, again.. In my opinion, can only be gained from practice outside during real rounds, or practicing on a realistic surface.

Over the past 3 months I've gotten so much better off the tee from lessons and more indoor practicing on trackman. However, I'm still garbage around the greens because I'm only playing 3-4 times a month, and I'm still not experienced enough as I'm still beginning. My goal this year is to actually play less during the summer, and go hit chips around the green for an hour every week. Usually I'd play a quick round Fri and once again on the weekend, but I'm going to cut the Friday round for as many chips and putts on real greens as I can.

I hear ya Z. I've hardly played at all this month because I've been practicing whenever I've had time. For full swings I'm hitting off mats and turf. Short game has been mostly hitting pitches and chips into greens from different distances, short sided shots, rough, fairway, bump and run, flops. I don't like hitting a bunch of chips off the mats. Much rather play real shots with the short game.

Definitley want to get more lessons under my belt too. Practice sessions on my own are really hit or miss. Yesterday my full swing sucked when I was practicing but the chipping was decent. Helpful to have my instructor's eye on the full swings.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Hey, I'd talk about the cause(s) of your EE with your instructor at that next lesson. You never mentioned if you talked about an overall swing plan with her. The beauty of having some regular instruction.

I'd add that with your current move with your chest backing away from the ball, when you do begin to address the EE, you are going to be getting closer to the ground (with your chest) in the downswing and this will make the changes you are going through with setup seem like child's play. You only get about a few inches closer than when you are at setup but given a long time of backing off and extending the arms early to reach the ball it'll feel like you are about to eat some dirt. LOL. Been there and stuck quite a few clubs into the ground behind the ball. Training out of early extending the right arm, at least for me, has been and is a continued work.

Lol, great. Well, it should be interesting to see how lessons go from here as I find out what the vision of my swing should be.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black