New Mysterious PING Iron that looks like iBlade/G700 Combo

I need more leaks. Who wants to be a leaker and let something leak?

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ping can't demand a tour witb with consent pic to be removed. That'd be pushing it

It's literally a G700 with low offset, that's it

Nope.

I know what it is. Not allowed to say though.

you gotta give us somethin' man.. like just a little somethin

It's a golf club. Unlike any other club to come before or after it, except very similar. It does many things that prior golf clubs have done. It does a handful of things that no club has done before. It does very few things that next year's iteration will do. It costs $1,200 before shaft and grip upgrades. It will improve your game somewhere between "not at all" and "quite a bit actually."

Hope that helps.

Sadly over the years this site has collected some members who think being a smartWord not allowed is entertaining or adds to a thread, when in reality it adds nothing to the subject..Probably one of the reasons why many of the old timers who did have a lot of inside information don't post here much anymore. The founders still do a fantastic job with early prototype in hand photos and WITB etc., but the knowledgeable industry posters has dwindled replaced by "comedians"..

Lighten up Francis. Post #98 prior to yours was pretty funny, made me laugh out loud actually. It's just golf for crying out loud, and the post was a poke at all of these OEM's with all of their mumbo jumbo jargon/hype. It's funny because there is some truth to the sarcasm, these club companies are out of control. Somebody has to break them down a bit, it's become ridiculous.

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| UST Mamiya Recoil ES SW 780 F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

Sadly over the years this site has collected some members who think being a smartWord not allowed is entertaining or adds to a thread, when in reality it adds nothing to the subject..Probably one of the reasons why many of the old timers who did have a lot of inside information don't post here much anymore. The founders still do a fantastic job with early prototype in hand photos and WITB etc., but the knowledgeable industry posters has dwindled replaced by "comedians"..

Lighten up Francis. Post #98 prior to yours was pretty funny, made me laugh out loud actually. It's just golf for crying out loud, and the post was a poke at all of these OEM's with all of their mumbo jumbo jargon/hype. It's funny because there is some truth to the sarcasm, these club companies are out of control. Somebody has to break them down a bit, it's become ridiculous.

I gave him a "like" actually. He seems like he could use it.

My opinion, piggybacking off some posters earlier in the thread, is that this is going to be a hollow body iron replacement that can fit with both the iBlades and the i200. You can make up a full set of these just like the T-MBs, but they will be built to seamlessly fit in as the long irons with both sets.

They "look" like they took the S55 head design, and raised the polymer split to be much higher on the back of the club. I'm "guessing" (no insider knowledge at all) that they are using some type of RZN type material to make it sound ok. I'm also guessing they'll offer power spec and traditional spec that you can order to match your irons.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

My opinion, piggybacking off some posters earlier in the thread, is that this is going to be a hollow body iron replacement that can fit with both the iBlades and the i200. You can make up a full set of these just like the T-MBs, but they will be built to seamlessly fit in as the long irons with both sets.

They "look" like they took the S55 head design, and raised the polymer split to be much higher on the back of the club. I'm "guessing" (no insider knowledge at all) that they are using some type of RZN type material to make it sound ok. I'm also guessing they'll offer power spec and traditional spec that you can order to match your irons.

This guy may or may not be on to something with some of his guesses here. :boredom:

I heard from a CS dude at another OEM that PING and callaway are working on single length irons as well.

Lets hope Ping is. If its true, that will be my next set of irons. You wouldn't think it would be a huge departure from their designs right now anyways, you just have the long irons more upright, the short irons more flat, adjust the CTP to make them all D2 or whatever, tweak the lofts. The end.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I heard from a CS dude at another OEM that PING and callaway are working on single length irons as well.

While I'm not sure that another OEM's CS person is a reliable source - they usually don't know what their own companies are working on till close to launch - "working on" can mean a lot of things.

What I would expect it to mean is that someone has asked what and how long would it take to get a single length set to market? They've probably looked at it, have an idea of what tweaks need to be made and even have CAD drawings. At that point they haven't committed anything but the time of a few people to look at it.

Last I heard single length made up about half of Cobra sales. But sales wise they are a niche player. So what companies like Ping and Callaway have to ask themselves is, is that all of the single length market there is? Or will one or more OEMs entering it validate the market and make it grow?

I am guessing the answer is probably not... at this point it's more likely that any sales from bringing a SL iron to market will come at the expense of their current line. In other words if all that happens is that a single length Rogue results in one less standard Rogue sale, it probably is not interesting.

While I'm not sure that another OEM's CS person is a reliable source - they usually don't know what their own companies are working on till close to launch - "working on" can mean a lot of things.

What I would expect it to mean is that someone has asked what and how long would it take to get a single length set to market? They've probably looked at it, have an idea of what tweaks need to be made and even have CAD drawings. At that point they haven't committed anything but the time of a few people to look at it.

Last I heard single length made up about half of Cobra sales. But sales wise they are a niche player. So what companies like Ping and Callaway have to ask themselves is, is that all of the single length market there is? Or will one or more OEMs entering it validate the market and make it grow?

I am guessing the answer is probably not... at this point it's more likely that any sales from bringing a SL iron to market will come at the expense of their current line. In other words if all that happens is that a single length Rogue results in one less standard Rogue sale, it probably is not interesting.

My guess is the only reliable source this CS person has the fact that Ping bought Nike's SL patent for woods-wedges. SL, while a very good option for some, is as you say, very very niche. I have far more people scoff and refuse to try it than I'd care to admit. Having said that, I built a pseudo-SL set myself with massively ascending mass iron shafts (XP95-DGx100 with various hard and soft stepping done to get flight and feel right) and they were a semi-success on screen. I'm going to try them for round 1 as that is going to be as good a test as any, cooler temps, stiff body mechanics, etc. If I score well, then I'll actually try and make them a true SL set by reaming weight and adding tip weights and getting a single iron shaft all the way through.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I have no interest in new irons, and won’t for several years, UNLESS it is a SL offer from Ping.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I'm committed to the concept because of physical limitations and lack of practice time. Cobra should be applauded and rewarded for taking the risk but I'm a PING homer at heart.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

SL is definitely not for me, but everyone has to do what is best for their game. I do think SL 4-7 then standard length 8 - wedges would be a good option for a lot of guys. Watching some random trying to wield a 37” or longer lob wedge is not a site I want to see.

For me personally I like my long irons with my Cobra King Utility being my favorite club in the bag.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Lets hope Ping is. If its true, that will be my next set of irons. You wouldn't think it would be a huge departure from their designs right now anyways, you just have the long irons more upright, the short irons more flat, adjust the CTP to make them all D2 or whatever, tweak the lofts. The end.

Not happening (from PING) .. although with the range of CTP weights and color code chart you could build a set right now

To those of you that have seen these, does it look like an MB from the back? Sole also thin? Because that's exactly what the OP's picture looks like. I'm also hoping that the irons aren't progressive (like the i series).

I suppose if I'm being perfectly clear, I want this thing to look like a blade. I'm thinking it's not possible, as others have indicated it's more forgiving than i200, but one can hope.

PING, if you're looking for biased thorough reviews for the upcoming iron, I'm willing to give a PowderedToastMan approved review. Have your people contact my people (me) and we can make something happen. Deal is off though if I have to hear Marty Jertsen talk about physics for more than 3-5 minutes. I hate when smart people make me feel dumb and my ego is too large to risk that.

Put me down for something a little crazier. This is going to be something like the i500. It's going to only be in a 2/3/4/5, and it's intention is to compliment both the iBlade and i200 line.

I know this is going to sound like heresy here, but I'm going to wager they update the iBlade with some minor tweaks, but that they don't touch the i200 for another cycle. I could see something more like an iBlade Black/8620, and i500 narrow hollow hi-ball irons.

It's really just the combo set explicitly made into a margin opportunity. My 2c.

1/1 so far. Got i500 right, apparently.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Put me down for something a little crazier. This is going to be something like the i500. It's going to only be in a 2/3/4/5, and it's intention is to compliment both the iBlade and i200 line.

I know this is going to sound like heresy here, but I'm going to wager they update the iBlade with some minor tweaks, but that they don't touch the i200 for another cycle. I could see something more like an iBlade Black/8620, and i500 narrow hollow hi-ball irons.

It's really just the combo set explicitly made into a margin opportunity. My 2c.

Right...its all too obvious that its an i type iron that has the streamlined looks that is hot in the marketplace now.

TM 790, PXG.

Iron simplification in regards to looks is something that is long overdue.

Making your players irons look like blades is a welcome trend that I believe is catching on.

Right...its all too obvious that its an i type iron that has the streamlined looks that is hot in the marketplace now.

TM 790, PXG.

Iron simplification in regards to looks is something that is long overdue.

Making your players irons look like blades is a welcome trend that I believe is catching on.

This is where I get confused. i series long irons have generous offset and at least mid sized heads with wide soles. The picture we saw of this long iron has minimal offset and has the head size of iBlade/S55 with a thin sole.

I’m thinking this has to be a unique release not attached to any previous line.