Sugarloaf Social Club (SSC)

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad this thread devolved into something that seems to be the antithesis of what SSC is all about.

From looking at their website and following on social media, SSC seems to be about bringing back what we love about golf. Playing with good friends, enjoying the sport for what it is and not obsessing over having perfect conditions or putting on airs about where we play. Playing golf because we love playing it. I love it. I've supported it with a couple purchases, and tonight I picked up two of the Penguin shirts they collaborated on together.

SSC is the most exciting golf related anything I've stumbled across for a while. Can't wait for my Loafwich HC and yardage book holster...even bought some blank yardage books to map my home course as I patiently wait for it to open in (hopefully) a couple weeks.

Play or perish.

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

• 3 weeks later...

i follow them on instagram, a bit begrudingly. the don white stuff and logos are cool, but i haven't bought anything. i find their hidden gem project to be a touch of a joke given some of the places that are on it compared to some that are not on it. not to mention that there instagram feed is full of elite courses well out of price. i do know that 1 of the founders played in college for rollins, so at least all the pictures of instagram of bags w/ blades have some legitimacy to it. as for " Playing golf because we love playing it" - i mean that's totally subjective because we all love playing golf for different reasons. i enjoy the competition, the chase for the elusive perfect round, the thrill of a good win, a great layout and walking. who i play with is less important to me than playing quickly. listen this is just my opinion but the best thing for any golf social media influencer to focus on these days is the pace of play in US Golf and how pathetic it is compared to what it is in europe/australia. the NLU boys & Fried egg do a decent job as both focus on push cart usage (carts do not speed up play & also contribute to american obesity) but id love to see even a greater focus. ive seen the trend these days moving towards play as many holes as you can in 4 hours, or pay per hole, and both make sense. however, i'd prefer to see public courses & american influencers hold american public course golfers (and private course golfers in a lot of cases too) to the same standard that they have across the pond, which is 18 holes on foot is expected to be completed in 3-3.5 hours.

i find their hidden gem project to be a touch of a joke given some of the places that are on it compared to some that are not on it.

The list of courses are simply a list that the guys have familiarity with, have played before, etc. I too agree that probably several hundred are missing. If you have some suggestions to add, send their inbox a note.

i find their hidden gem project to be a touch of a joke given some of the places that are on it compared to some that are not on it.

The list of courses are simply a list that the guys have familiarity with, have played before, etc. I too agree that probably several hundred are missing. If you have some suggestions to add, send their inbox a note.

Yeah, the hidden gem project is designed to get YOU to tell them about courses they don't know. Pick your favorite and fill out the form if you think a deserving course needs to be added.

As far as "playing golf because we love to play it," I see what you're saying...we all have different things about golf that we love. Who I play with is important to me. I'm fine playing by myself or getting grouped with strangers when I walk on...but give me a nice day and my best friends for a round, and it's as good as it gets. Even better if it's a course that we all love.

As far as pace of play...I don't think it's their job to educate us on pace of play. It's the USGA's job, and they suck at it. Besides...everyone wants faster pace for sure. It's not hard to play fast. People choose not to. Until you get marshals on the course enforcing pace, all the style influencers in the world can't do anything to get people to play ready golf, pick up the two-footers if there's a group waiting and space ahead, and basically use their heads.

100% in agreement on walking. Best way to get around by far!

i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Pro V1x Yellow 

Yeah, the hidden gem project is designed to get YOU to tell them about courses they don't know. Pick your favorite and fill out the form if you think a deserving course needs to be added.

As far as "playing golf because we love to play it," I see what you're saying...we all have different things about golf that we love. Who I play with is important to me. I'm fine playing by myself or getting grouped with strangers when I walk on...but give me a nice day and my best friends for a round, and it's as good as it gets. Even better if it's a course that we all love.

As far as pace of play...I don't think it's their job to educate us on pace of play. It's the USGA's job, and they suck at it. Besides...everyone wants faster pace for sure. It's not hard to play fast. People choose not to. Until you get marshals on the course enforcing pace, all the style influencers in the world can't do anything to get people to play ready golf, pick up the two-footers if there's a group waiting and space ahead, and basically use their heads.

100% in agreement on walking. Best way to get around by far!

on the hidden gem thing, what about getting them to remove courses that clearly aren't hidden gems (though the counter argument is that's open to interpretation)? for example van cortland park in nyc, even if tom bendelow laid it out, is not a hidden gem, nor is poxabogue in the hamptons... now skyway in jersey city, thats a different story, that place is sweet.

and youre right, its not their job to educate, just saying it would be nice if someone took up that as their cause. i also dont think everyone wants to play faster, ive encountered way too many groups ahead of me who just enjoy being "out there", away from family, with friends etc, and play slowly by never being ready to hit or wait until someone is way too out from tee box to tee off etc. IMO the leading causes of slow play are mediocre golfers waiting until group ahead is 280 from tee box before teeing off or waiting to hit a green from 225 out. basically waiting for career shots instead of playing the odds. that plus people never being ready to hit (e.g. while 1 guy is hitting, the other is sitting in the cart instead of taking his club and walking 9 yards ahead and to the right to his ball to hit).

Having watched this thread and checked out SSC online I honestly agree with most the post here. I have had a few people make similar comments about "playing golf because we love to play it" and that SSC is not promoting anything new.

The comments I have not seen in this thread (which is good) about SSC....they appear to some people to come off as "Special" or "Elitist". That they are "doing" something different (ie: playing because we love it) that others players are not, adding in they sell a product to promote it. I think its comments like in post 2 of this thread is what gives people that impression...wrong or write.

Personally I agree, if they changed up the "model" it would be more popular. But as far I can tell from what is available.... its a group of guys like most WRX'ers who made a Club/Brand to get some $$$ coming in to play golf.... :) (brilliant if it works for them..) I just don't see anything they currently offer being relevant at this point.

Well, like anything with anything...some people like SSC, some people don’t get what all the buzz is about. There’s probably a group for every type of golfer out there on the old WWW. I found one for me in SSC. You either dig it, or you don’t. I’m absolutely the type of person who hates it when someone tries to convince me to like something that I don’t, so I won’t waste too much time trying to do the same to anyone else.

i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Pro V1x Yellow 

Well, like anything with anything...some people like SSC, some people don't get what all the buzz is about. There's probably a group for every type of golfer out there on the old WWW. I found one for me in SSC. You either dig it, or you don't. I'm absolutely the type of person who hates it when someone tries to convince me to like something that I don't, so I won't waste too much time trying to do the same to anyone else.

Well put.

• 8 months later...

Funny to me (ironic is probably the better word choice) that a critic would have purchased from them.

I like they're style but haven't bought anything.

My understanding is it's just a bunch of fellas that were golf pals in high school and college. They have real jobs and produce these little nick nacks on the side. I think the anti-elitism comes from other guys they know that get into a sweet club and only play there or an interclub at another sweet club.

If you wanted a set of amazing hand ground blades why not buy them from SSC and have part of the money go to First Tee? Same thing as bidding on a raffle items at a charity tournament.

Leadership might look like foregoing a cart, occasionally playing a goat track when travelling rather than sitting at the bar at the hotel, etc. - nothing wrong with having opinions.