So, trying cheap balls this year

Hehateme

I've had a hard time finding a good ball since Nike discontinued the PD series. I like the Q-Stars but they are even spendy compared to the nikes I bought for years

Bridgestone Extra soft?

Not that I will play them but it doesn't seem stores carry them near me

They are hard to find retail. I bought them at DSG. But, they put them on clearance. There are plenty on line.

https://www.amazon.c...soft golf balls

I am good for now I have project (a) for now and maybe I'll find something to sprinkle in during the year to see what will be next

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the Callaway Supersoft and liked them, but I don't have much experience with different balls. I moved from Top Flite to the Supersoft. I am wanting to try the Chromesoft to see if I can notice a difference

Chromesoft is great. Much more firm compared to SuperSoft. But, still soft. Also, it spins on the green. The biggest difference is price. SS is at 21 and Chromesoft 31.00-39.00 per dozen.

Supersoft 55s are $15 a dozen at Costco.

Minor correction - they are SuperHot 55 and I will be trying these as my winter balls.

Just went in with my brother and got 8 dozen Vice pros (4 dozen each). Five dozen gets you the best price. Unbelievably arrived in 2-3 days from Germany! Haven't played them yet, but lots of testing on YouTube verifying they perform very, very similar to ProV1's at a fraction of the price. How can you beat that?

What's your opinion on the vice pro?

Can't really tell a whole of difference between the Top Flight D2+ Straight and the B330RX. Dicks had a special a while back, $7.99 for the 15 ball packs.

Ping G 10*- 44.5" Adjusted to 11*
Ping i3OS 4 thru UW
Cobra SS 5 wood

Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* -SW
Ping Redwood- 34"
Callaway Supersoft

Kind of a new years resolution, gonna try to play cheap balls this year to see if they affect my overall play. Currently carrying a 2.8 hdcp and typically play premium balls only. Cheapest ball I play is the Chrome soft X and love it. Started playing the Titleist AVX two months ago and really like the way it plays as well.

So, what ball do I play? None of the "soft" balls work for me. Grabbed a sleeve of Titleist NXT's from the shop and will try them as soon as it warms up (Live in Florida). Tried the E6 line and they are okay. SO, I guess the definition of cheap would be less than $35. Oh, as well, find myself liking the yellow balls more and more, so that would be a bonus. Help a brother out-

Have only read this post, but if you're limited to 35 a dozen the only thing off the table is the ProV line. They're awesome but NXT Tours are the biggest ripoff known to man. They're more expensive than only the ProV line (at lowest retail you can find) and they're inferior to EVERY Urethane ball I've ever played. Most Surlyn balls as well. I think a lot of folks get hung up on the brand and the "tour" part of the name. I've bought better balls for 5.99 a dozen. They're crap and I'd be ticked if my club used them as range balls. They have no redeeming features. Yes I'm triggered, lol. But don't rip people off! Millions of sheep will buy them thinking they're good balls. They're not and won't help anyone be a better golfer. They're a 10.00 a dozen ball hiding behind a brand and a "Tour" label. No one, not one single golfer ever, would use them on tour. They have single handedly made me dislike Titleist. The only club of theirs that sees any bag time is a 52* Oil Can. I used to use their ball all the time, I thought it was great. It was. It is. But their continuation of screwing over golfers that don't know any better with a 35.00 priced "Tour" ball that's worth 10 bucks? Crap. Show me a "Tour" golfer that uses anything of theirs other than the ProV1 line? I could care less other than a general "don't screw people over".

Kind of a new years resolution, gonna try to play cheap balls this year to see if they affect my overall play. Currently carrying a 2.8 hdcp and typically play premium balls only. Cheapest ball I play is the Chrome soft X and love it. Started playing the Titleist AVX two months ago and really like the way it plays as well.

So, what ball do I play? None of the "soft" balls work for me. Grabbed a sleeve of Titleist NXT's from the shop and will try them as soon as it warms up (Live in Florida). Tried the E6 line and they are okay. SO, I guess the definition of cheap would be less than $35. Oh, as well, find myself liking the yellow balls more and more, so that would be a bonus. Help a brother out-

Have only read this post, but if you're limited to 35 a dozen the only thing off the table is the ProV line. They're awesome but NXT Tours are the biggest ripoff known to man. They're more expensive than only the ProV line (at lowest retail you can find) and they're inferior to EVERY Urethane ball I've ever played. Most Surlyn balls as well. I think a lot of folks get hung up on the brand and the "tour" part of the name. I've bought better balls for 5.99 a dozen. They're crap and I'd be ticked if my club used them as range balls. They have no redeeming features. Yes I'm triggered, lol. But don't rip people off! Millions of sheep will buy them thinking they're good balls. They're not and won't help anyone be a better golfer. They're a 10.00 a dozen ball hiding behind a brand and a "Tour" label. No one, not one single golfer ever, would use them on tour. They have single handedly made me dislike Titleist. The only club of theirs that sees any bag time is a 52* Oil Can. I used to use their ball all the time, I thought it was great. It was. It is. But their continuation of screwing over golfers that don't know any better with a 35.00 priced "Tour" ball that's worth 10 bucks? Crap. Show me a "Tour" golfer that uses anything of theirs other than the ProV1 line? I could care less other than a general "don't screw people over".

'

You guys are getting worked up over nothing. This is a cheap ball thread. I'd hardly call 35 a cheap ball. If Titleist can get 35, so be it. There's balls like Cut and MG at a lower cost for 20.00. That will likely perform just as well.

I will repeat again, I should have titled this thread "non premium ball" not cheap ball. Think Q star, Gamer, E6 along that line

When you can get (last years) premium urethane for $20/dozen why downgrade to non premium?

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I will repeat again, I should have titled this thread "non premium ball" not cheap ball. Think Q star, Gamer, E6 along that line

When you can get (last years) premium urethane for $20/dozen why downgrade to non premium?

I believe OP is not so much shopping for low prices as wanting to prove a point that he doesn't need a "premium" (i.e. urethane) ball.

Can't really tell a whole of difference

I can't tell the difference either. I'm reading about people "picking up a sleeve" (i.e. three balls) and trying them and then noticing differences between them and other balls. Are players really this sensitive to the ball they are playing? There is no way I can tell the difference between two balls with a couple sleeves and an afternoon.

Where do you look for these?

I've played Lady Srixion Purple (not soft, the other one) for a long time. Its a great ball. I can't tell the difference between golf balls very well, even in the short game. They all feel the same off my tei3. This could well be me just being less sensitive or having less feel, though. I'm a decent-ish player (play in some events but never really in the hunt) and I just can't tell if I'm hitting a proV or a TP5 or a Lady Srixion or a Top Flite Gamer unless it has a label. I can feel it with my hands, but not with my clubs.

Of course, the JPC dpcs and the engages arn't exactly blades so that could be it too. I have thicker irons and wedges than virtually everyone I'm paired with in these competitions, so maybe having less metal makes the ball come alive more?

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I tried the Callaway Supersoft and liked them, but I don't have much experience with different balls. I moved from Top Flite to the Supersoft. I am wanting to try the Chromesoft to see if I can notice a difference

Chromesoft is great. Much more firm compared to SuperSoft. But, still soft. Also, it spins on the green. The biggest difference is price. SS is at 21 and Chromesoft 31.00-39.00 per dozen.

Supersoft 55s are $15 a dozen at Costco.

SuperHot 55! Just saw someone else had mentioned this. Sorry for repeat!

There are threads around here all the time. There is a Srixon Z Star deal going now for $10/6 balls. Please check around on the forum and be ready to pounce when a good deal comes up.:)

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Can't really tell a whole of difference

I can't tell the difference either. I'm reading about people "picking up a sleeve" (i.e. three balls) and trying them and then noticing differences between them and other balls. Are players really this sensitive to the ball they are playing? There is no way I can tell the difference between two balls with a couple sleeves and an afternoon.

I've played Lady Srixion Purple (not soft, the other one) for a long time. Its a great ball. I can't tell the difference between golf balls very well, even in the short game. They all feel the same off my tei3. This could well be me just being less sensitive or having less feel, though. I'm a decent-ish player (play in some events but never really in the hunt) and I just can't tell if I'm hitting a proV or a TP5 or a Lady Srixion or a Top Flite Gamer unless it has a label. I can feel it with my hands, but not with my clubs.

Of course, the JPC dpcs and the engages arn't exactly blades so that could be it too. I have thicker irons and wedges than virtually everyone I'm paired with in these competitions, so maybe having less metal makes the ball come alive more?

Golfballs.com Srixon 6 packs for $9.95

'

You guys are getting worked up over nothing. This is a cheap ball thread. I'd hardly call 35 a cheap ball. If Titleist can get 35, so be it. There's balls like Cut and MG at a lower cost for 20.00. That will likely perform just as well.

I've found a cause!!! lol

I can get worked up over pretty much anything. Just ignore me when I get worked into a tizzy. I'll get over it soon enough. Lol.

I remember reading every page of a thread on here about what ball everyone shot their lowest scores with and a TON of people who were low handicap or played with low handicap (low single digits) said they used cheap balls. If you are good enough to shoot good scores with a good ball, you are good enough to shoot them with a “cheap” ball.

Went 2 under today with a mix of Top Flight Gamers and Titleist Velocity's in 46 degree weather-- :)

For sure a learning curve but---

I’ve always found it kind of counter intuitive that good players that can generate plenty of spin refuse to use anything but the balls with the highest spin characteristics.

While I can only speak for myself I hardly think that is true.

Personally I want a ball that hits and STOPS when I hit a quality shot to the green. I don't want it releasing towards the back of the green nor do I want it to spin back. I want it to be within about a foot of where it hit.

Releasing and spinning back is just way more than one has to calculate into hitting a shot; as if there wasn't enough to worry about,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I've had a hard time finding a good ball since Nike discontinued the PD series. I like the Q-Stars but they are even spendy compared to the nikes I bought for years

One of the Target stores near me had the PD Long on clearance. I picked up a couple boxes for $10 each. Have enjoyed this ball in the past. Was tempted to buy them all (another 3 boxes)

Played the 2 piece Zip last weekend in mid 30° weather. Had more spin around the green than any other 2 piece ball I have ever played.

Personally I want a ball that hits and STOPS when I hit a quality shot to the green. I don't want it releasing towards the back of the green nor do I want it to spin back. I want it to be within about a foot of where it hit.

Releasing and spinning back is just way more than one has to calculate into hitting a shot; as if there wasn't enough to worry about,,,,,,,,,,,

I totally agree with this. Its also why I stopped playing the PM grind. Nothing is worse than when you hit what you think is a great shot and too much spin kills it dead. This would happen all the time with the PM grind wedge - the thing spins the ball like a dryer. On hole 1 in an event I hit a little pitch from back left of the green, expecting it to land and roll down a steep incline to a hole. It grabbed on the incline and just died - 20 feet short. Callaway soft and PM. Wanted to scream.

I also pulled a Kyle Stanley once in the same round, hitting a 9 iron into a green and watching in horror as it hit near the pin on the back left tier (hole 5 at tpc louisiana) and then spun backwards and left off the green, down a hill, and onto a gravel path.

I hate hitting spinny balls. The Srixon XV are great balls for anybody who doesn't like spinning the ball. Its neat to be able to spin it sometimes and gets "ahhhs" from playing partners when it hop/grabs but it sucks for score. You never know when you'll spin off, and when you spin off you get stuck in the worst positions on the golf course (because no designer thinks you'll fall into the bunker from the green rolling <1 mph).

I just want a ball and a wedge that always does the same thing. i don't really care what that thing is, i can adapt to it, i just hate surprise check ups more than anything. I can deal with bad shots, but when i hit the exact shot that is in my head to a precise landing spot and then the spin is off it drives me nuts.

I'm not good enough to "control spin" so I can't do much about it. I can put more spin on a ball, but I don't have the skill to play a super-spinny set up and then back it off on purpose. I find it 10x easier to play a low-spin set up like the lady srixon purples or the xv and step on the spin on purpose than play a high spin set up and back it off on purpose.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I totally agree with this. Its also why I stopped playing the PM grind. Nothing is worse than when you hit what you think is a great shot and too much spin kills it dead. This would happen all the time with the PM grind wedge - the thing spins the ball like a dryer. On hole 1 in an event I hit a little pitch from back left of the green, expecting it to land and roll down a steep incline to a hole. It grabbed on the incline and just died - 20 feet short. Callaway soft and PM. Wanted to scream.

I also pulled a Kyle Stanley once in the same round, hitting a 9 iron into a green and watching in horror as it hit near the pin on the back left tier (hole 5 at tpc louisiana) and then spun backwards and left off the green, down a hill, and onto a gravel path.

I hate hitting spinny balls. The Srixon XV are great balls for anybody who doesn't like spinning the ball. Its neat to be able to spin it sometimes and gets "ahhhs" from playing partners when it hop/grabs but it sucks for score. You never know when you'll spin off, and when you spin off you get stuck in the worst positions on the golf course (because no designer thinks you'll fall into the bunker from the green rolling <1 mph).

I just want a ball and a wedge that always does the same thing. i don't really care what that thing is, i can adapt to it, i just hate surprise check ups more than anything. I can deal with bad shots, but when i hit the exact shot that is in my head to a precise landing spot and then the spin is off it drives me nuts.

I'm not good enough to "control spin" so I can't do much about it. I can put more spin on a ball, but I don't have the skill to play a super-spinny set up and then back it off on purpose. I find it 10x easier to play a low-spin set up like the lady srixon purples or the xv and step on the spin on purpose than play a high spin set up and back it off on purpose.

I play the XV for this reason. It spins well enough and when I need it too without having to change ball flight to take spin off when I need too.

That and the XV is the best wind ball every created by man

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

• 1 month later...

I hear great things about the Cally SuperSoft which I haven't played but did try the Srixon Soft Feel and those weren't bad.

I play the Chrome Soft which I buy 5A and only spend around the $20-23 a dozen depending on the promo code I get. I also have some dozens of the Nike RZN blue tour platinum "practice" balls that were sold/clearance at Dunham's that were about $8 a dozen. Then since I found a Bridgestone Precept PowerDrive ball on the course last year and used it for nine holes, I picked up a few dozen of them to try as they are not a bad ball and can be had for around $5 a dozen. This was the ball the Home Depot had in their stores awhile back.