Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

Anyone have any advice regarding wedges? Are people using SL wedges (GW, SW, LW) or is it better to have VL wedges and stick to the SL for the irons (4-PW)?

Up to you. I have SL F7 5-SW and then my 58 & 64 VL. I was looking around for a deal on a 60 ONE wedge but there’s none to be found and the longer I play like this the more I think I’ll stick to this setup.

I’ve been thinking the same.. I have King Forged One irons (4-PW) and was thinking of buying wedges in SL also, but have heard people having problems around the Green with the SL Wedges. I need new wedges but don’t know if I want to spend the $$ on the one length wedges or stick with what I’m used to?

I stop at gap for now but am definitely curious for full shots. The gap flies a bit further than I am used to and like the idea of the same set up for a 56ish 100 yard swing.

PING Rapture V2 with BB
PING Crossover - 3
PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
PING Chipo!
PING Pal - Karsten

So I called discount dans to order my forged tec ones and was wondering about lie angle and shafts. Cobra said to pick 1 lie angle and adjust them all to that. I guess about 61*. I'm about 2* flat. Also, any advice on the shafts? I know the fto are coming standard with the tt amt white or black. I've never hit them. Any suggestions?

I picked up a set of Cobra F7 one length 5 to GW. Played them once, practiced with them 3 or 4 times. I don’t hit them any worse than my G400s - they just do not feel as solid as the Pings and I can’t seem to get past the Cobras ball off the face sound .. kind of like a ball off a wooden bat. I’ll keep practicing with them this season though ... I like the single length concept and would be happy if Ping came out with a GI one length set of irons.

The Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max 10.5° Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 Max 5w/7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h/5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS Z-115

Oddysey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie 33"

Just purchased the Cobra F-Max One Length 6-PW. Why? I have had a lifetime problem with ball position. I am never going to worry again, as these things are straight, high and automatic. It only took me a couple of swings to realize that, for this senior golfer, the OL concept works. Big fan, and I am saving 3-4 strokes a round just by never yanking a ball due to ball position. Now, if OL could fix my putting...

roberthd
Menlo Park, Calif.

* Cobra F-Max Superlite 11.5-degree 
* Wilson Launch Pad 3-wood
* Wilson Launch Pad Fybrid

* Cobra F-Max 5-6-7 Hybrid 
* Cobra F-Max One Length 8-9-PW-GW
* Cleveland CBX 2 54, Smart Sole 58
* Some old Odyssey putter

Just purchased the Cobra F-Max One Length 6-PW. Why? I have had a lifetime problem with ball position. I am never going to worry again, as these things are straight, high and automatic. It only took me a couple of swings to realize that, for this senior golfer, the OL concept works. Big fan, and I am saving 3-4 strokes a round just by never yanking a ball due to ball position. Now, if OL could fix my putting...

I had forgotten about the Max version.

Yeah, unless you have moved up to short tee boxes, you're probably only hitting 10 or 12 iron shots per round. You might only hit say the 8 iron once in the round. To have several different ball positions, well, it can be easy to get out of whack.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I must say I am intrigued by the SL Cobra irons. Having done some online research and reviews, can the folks who are gaming them share your thoughts what are the key differences between

1) Forged ONE........vs.....

2) F8 Single Length

So, I did a comparison on the cobra site and the specs are quite different. For one thing the Forged ONE has same lie angles but the F8 SL has slightly varying lie angles.

Secondly, the lofts are ridiculous different. For example, the 5I on F8 SL is 22.5 deg, while the same 5I in Forged ONE is 26 deg. This delta continues further down the irons until you get to the PW, GW which are fairly close. I guess I am not quite sure what to make of this much difference on what are touted as effectively the same iron sets. The f8 SL at 37.5 inches are about 0.25 inches longer than the Forged ONE

Sorry to go Bryson Chambeau on y'all, but for the life of me I cant figure out the approach to Forged ONE SL vs F8 SL. On the other hand will be going for a Demo day this weekend, so will attempt to satisfy my curiosity, and in all likelihood burn some ca$h

:busted_cop:

Check out the New king Forged Tecs I'm getting those in OL.

X

Thanks for the info. I just stumbled upon those also on the Cobra site. the Forged Tec OL wprobably match unto the new F8 OL for lie angles. Holy smokes those Forged Tech in Black (including OL) look sweet !! There goes more $$. Release Date shows 1st week April. Hopefully they have a Demo set this weekend when I check them out

X

Thanks for the info. I just stumbled upon those also on the Cobra site. the Forged Tec OL wprobably match unto the new F8 OL for lie angles. Holy smokes those Forged Tech in Black (including OL) look sweet !! There goes more $$. Release Date shows 1st week April. Hopefully they have a Demo set this weekend when I check them out

Yeah, they do look sweet. For now. But given my issue with the F8 chroming, I am not sure how confident I have with the new black finish on the forged tec. Yes, they are really good looking but you are paying for it and given that my F8 OL is an "experiment" I didn't want to go all in with $,$$$ pumped in & knowing that OL are not hot and probably want to cut my loses to a minimum if it doesn't work out.

The price I paid for my F8 OL from DD was a steal so I am in a very happy spot. If I do like the OL concept and other Forged Tec Black owners have proven the finish is good, then I will commit the $$$$ for it.

As for the lie angles, I had real concerns about it but after about 5 rounds, I no longer care what the lie angle is. Just hit, it's whacky as it is so different lie angle doesn't add anything more to the mix. I will presume Cobra knows what they are doing based on their research....and the F8 are sweet to hit. Definitely different ball flight and you have to swing harder on the 5 & 4 irons than a 8 iron to make the lower irons sing, thats just an unspoken fact.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Just took the plunge and bought a set of F7s ... 4-PW ... KBS C-Taper Lite ...

I'm a 4 handicap, and this is the first time I ever thought a set of irons might actually change my game. Hopefully for the better.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

X

Yeah, they do look sweet. For now. But given my issue with the F8 chroming, I am not sure how confident I have with the new black finish on the forged tec. Yes, they are really good looking but you are paying for it and given that my F8 OL is an "experiment" I didn't want to go all in with $,$$$ pumped in & knowing that OL are not hot and probably want to cut my loses to a minimum if it doesn't work out.

The price I paid for my F8 OL from DD was a steal so I am in a very happy spot. If I do like the OL concept and other Forged Tec Black owners have proven the finish is good, then I will commit the $$$$ for it.

As for the lie angles, I had real concerns about it but after about 5 rounds, I no longer care what the lie angle is. Just hit, it's whacky as it is so different lie angle doesn't add anything more to the mix. I will presume Cobra knows what they are doing based on their research....and the F8 are sweet to hit. Definitely different ball flight and you have to swing harder on the 5 & 4 irons than a 8 iron to make the lower irons sing, thats just an unspoken fact.

Good choice and thanks for the insights. Let us know how the F8 OL Skytrak results turn out.

If you don't mind me asking how much were the F8 OL from DD ? If pretty decent priced, and overall not much difference vs the ForgedTec Blacks, I may go that route as well, and start my transition to OL on my Skytrak as well.

I looked hard at the F7s as well but was talked into F8 by DDs. It was very decent price which also included their $50 off any iron set if you were on their email list. Without discussing price, lets just say I could have picked up a OL hybrid and a box of balls with my savings :)

Speaking of which, those who want to try OL, should also consider the OL hybrid as well. My experience with OL is that it really relies on roll to get some distances and if your hole is dependent on carry (say to clear bunkers or hazards), you have to seriously think about the OL and each carry distance, may be change the ball position a bit for more launch & going more club. Jus sayin'...

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

I looked hard at the F7s as well but was talked into F8 by DDs. It was very decent price which also included their $50 off any iron set if you were on their email list. Without discussing price, lets just say I could have picked up a OL hybrid and a box of balls with my savings :)

Speaking of which, those who want to try OL, should also consider the OL hybrid as well. My experience with OL is that it really relies on roll to get some distances and if your hole is dependent on carry (say to clear bunkers or hazards), you have to seriously think about the OL and each carry distance, may be change the ball position a bit for more launch & going more club. Jus sayin'...

Cool. That’s a great deal for sure. I will Demo the F8 OL this weekend and accordingly decide; thinking 5i-GW. Most interested in seeing 5i and GW performance. I checked out Cobra site and The hybrids are a bit odd fit...seems like 3H at 19degree fits above F8 OL 5i, and 4H replaces the 5i.

Anyhow, many thanks for the insights and feedback. Will share which direction I go. Hopefully can Demo the new King Forgedtec Black OL as well, but looks like F8 OL seem to be a much better deal; will come down to the feel.

Glad Cobra is the first large brand trailblazer in going this path. Overall reading the various Messageboard and feedback most folks seem to be seeing some benefits with the “modern” OL concept

Jaggie, yeah good luck with the testing.

One other thing. the F8 have the forged pwrshell only in the 7 to 4 irons. The 8 to PW is just "regular" head, no pwrshell. If you look at the Cobra site, they never point that out eventhough they really push their forged "Pwrshell" as one of the technology in the one lengths.

Honestly, the 8 to PW don't feel too bad either, soft (but not too forged soft) but definitely not rock hard. Comparable to the Ping Ansers that I have as a backup. The weird thing is that the F7 has the Pwrshell from PW all the way down to the 4 iron. Now, to me, the Pwrshell is interesting in the F8, it really does feel like a soft trampoline, you'll swear the ball just "bounces" off the face, HOT! I didn't get that with the F7s when I tested it.

I might have to test the Forged Tec myself. I am curious as well to see what Cobra has done.

Yeah lets keep any DD pricing information offline. If you have any questions, just email them. I've spent more money than I'd like to admit with those guys but they have been very very good to deal with every single time.

When I emailed Cobra to ask why the F8s were marking up/wearing a lot faster than the F7s, they were unapologetic. I even sent pics of my gamer F7s by way of comparison - the F8s already are more dinged up after a month of barely any use than the F7s after a full season. They didn't care. Really lousy customer service IMO. I didn't want anything from them, nothing. Just wanted to ask if they had changed their chroming process on the toes/soles of the clubs. They told me to "make sure that you store the clubs carefully or perhaps invest in iron covers to protect the set.". Seriously, thats a direct quote. Iron covers. I fully expect that after a season of use they will look pretty bad but there are no circumstances under which I'm going to use iron covers.

I hate responses like that. Really puts a bad taste in my mouth for a brand overall.

But seeing how lousy the finish work on the F8s is, I would never buy a dark colored iron from them.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I stop at gap for now but am definitely curious for full shots. The gap flies a bit further than I am used to and like the idea of the same set up for a 56ish 100 yard swing.

I stop at the GW in my Edel's. The GW is not like a 50* sand wedge...its more like an 11 iron. I have not hit the Edel 55* SW, but if it plays like a '12 iron'...I am interested in one as well. I'd drop my Kasco K2K 33 and my current 54* wedge and add a 60* wedge for bunker play.

Tried the cobra F8 forged one length and didn't mind the 7 or the PW, but hated the 4 iron. Too variable in launch for me. I think it was because it felt heavier. Also, my swing speed varied greatly with the set. Around 96 with the 4 iron, 92 with the 7 and 78 with the PW. Despite this variation, the distances for the 7 (~170) and wedge (~140) were fine. The 4 iron carry was from 180 to 210 depending on strike. Anyone else see this? The weight felt different throughout the set, which threw me with a single length. I would like to try the Edels to see if there is the same variation.

Tried the cobra F8 forged one length and didn't mind the 7 or the PW, but hated the 4 iron. Too variable in launch for me. I think it was because it felt heavier. Also, my swing speed varied greatly with the set. Around 96 with the 4 iron, 92 with the 7 and 78 with the PW. Despite this variation, the distances for the 7 (~170) and wedge (~140) were fine. The 4 iron carry was from 180 to 210 depending on strike. Anyone else see this? The weight felt different throughout the set, which threw me with a single length. I would like to try the Edels to see if there is the same variation.

Go with a 4 hybrid.

My guess is you were hitting off of a GC2, no? It doesn't actually measure swing speed but makes a guess about swing speed based on ball speed. Since the ball speed would drop with loft, it makes sense that the SS with the same length and weight shaft dropped 14mph when in theory it shouldn't have.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

I could see the concept in the 4, 5, 6, 7 itons, but I don't think I want my short irons to have longer shafts.

This. I am highly considering 4-7 in OL and go VL the rest of the way once the Forged Tec blacks come out Just unsure if I will do more harm than good

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

I could see the concept in the 4, 5, 6, 7 itons, but I don't think I want my short irons to have longer shafts.

This. I am highly considering 4-7 in OL and go VL the rest of the way once the Forged Tec blacks come out Just unsure if I will do more harm than good

Do you like your current 8-LW, by this I mean distance gapping and overall distances? Dislike your current 4-7? If yes, then I think you idea will not have more harm.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

Go with a 4 hybrid.

I want long irons that are a bit easier to hit. I find it difficult to keep hybrids low, but with an iron I can hit a low stinger. I think the thing is I don't really want to lose any of the shots I currently play, I just want to make them a bit more consistent. Theoretically, strike on the 4 iron shouldn't be that variable due to the consistency of length.

My guess is you were hitting off of a GC2, no? It doesn't actually measure swing speed but makes a guess about swing speed based on ball speed. Since the ball speed would drop with loft, it makes sense that the SS with the same length and weight shaft dropped 14mph when in theory it shouldn't have.

Makes sense then that the speeds should vary so greatly. So how can a retailer fit a player appropriately when there are so few variables? Also, why did Cobra change the lie angle throughout the set. Subtle differences, but I noticed them when trying to hit shots.

The most logical explanation I've seen for Cobra's varying the lie angles in the F8's is that they are using flighted shafts. ie Shafts having different length tip sections, so the longer tip section clubs (lower lofted clubs) will have more toe droop. Thus needing more upright lie angles.

This would vary quite a bit with clubhead speed and maybe swing mechanics too, though. I could see where an F8 player should probably go back for a full set lie angle fitting and adjustment after he gets used to them.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Makes sense then that the speeds should vary so greatly. So how can a retailer fit a player appropriately when there are so few variables? Also, why did Cobra change the lie angle throughout the set. Subtle differences, but I noticed them when trying to hit shots.

To be fair, Cobra is the only company with a SL set of irons on the market. One or two possible sets out of 40-50 isn't going to make a company change their entire scope system. The GC2's output is more than adequate for 90% of fittings. Just worry about the ball speed and you'll be golden.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

As a fitting alternative a few have mentioned OL and VL depending on what part of the set you're at. Reduced length gaps between clubs it also a great suggestion.

Check out www.danscustomgolfshop.com .. he's a member here and runs a shop in Canada. His fitting system called "True Length Technology" features a great relationship between length and lie angle to get you in the same athletic address position with every club. I've used his standard TLT build and also his reduced length build.. both of which I really enjoyed over a standard iron fitting.

Dan built my SL Wishons and we used a length and lie from my TLT build to finish the set.

It's a great alternative to anyone who doesn't want a full on SL build.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf