Transition to blades

BleederFade

I'm a Newbie to this so lets see how this goes.

After always wanting to play blade irons I finally decided to pull the trigger. During my testing/fitting I made sure to try the Titleist 718 MBs, the Srixon Z965s, and the Mizuno MP18s. Personally I think that the 718s are the best looking blade on the market right now, but as much as I wanted them to work they just didn't perform/feel where I wanted them to. The Srixons were a bit of a sleeper as they produced great results when I wasn't expecting anything special. But the MP18s really are something awesome. They felt unbelievable, produced really consistent numbers, and just plain looked fantastic.

For the past 6 years or so I've been playing the Taylormade TP MCs which are ugly as heck but were great clubs to me. They felt great and really helped me grow my game to where iron play is one of my biggest strengths. But right now is time for something new.

So far my testing / transition to blades has been great. (I have only been able to compare clubs indoors on a monitor so we will see what happens when I hit the course) My distances seem pretty much identical if not a couple yards further (which I was not expecting) and my miss hits are not as bad as I was anticipating. I'm really looking forward to this season and seeing how the MP18s help my game develop further.

If anyone has any stories or experiences with this transition I would love to hear it.

Titleist TSi3 - TPO 70TX

Titleist 917 F2 16.5 - Diamana W 80X

Titleist 718 TMB 2 - MMT 105TX / TSi3 20 - TPW 100TX

Mizuno MP18 4-P - TTDG X100

Vokey SM9 50.12F, 56.12D - TTDG S400

Vokey SM8 60.08 M - TTDG S400

TaylorMade Tour Spider

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put the blades back in the bag a couple times a year, and quickly realize on the course that I shouldn't play blades. My performance is noticably better with my player CB MP 54's.

good luck.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

There are numerous topics here regarding blades, many discussions about whether they are truly better than game improvement clubs. My experience from playing golf my whole life (I’m 51) is that for me, I tend to concentrate more when I play blades and have shot my best scores with blades. But, I’ve noticed that if I have a bad round due to ball striking, my bad rounds are worse, but I have fewer bad rounds, if that makes any sense. My feeling is, with the right shaft, blades aren’t that different, better turf interaction, easier to align, more playable. Some will argue and say I’m nuts, but that’s just my opinion.

I have ben playing blades or combo sets for the last 15+ years and they are great if you practice often and strike the ball well. I will say its to bad you couldn't test them outside first because the turf interaction from the Srixons is fantastic. That may have changed you mind but the MP-18's are great irons good luck with them this year.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* set to 8* UST Mamiya LINQ Purple 7F5
Callaway Epic Flash 15* set to 14* UST V2 Tour 8F5
Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 18* UST Recoil Prototype 110F5 2* Flat
Srixon 785/Z Forged DGTI X100 2* Flat
Vokey SM8 Black 50/56/62 DGTI Onyx X100/S400 2* Flat
EVNROLL ER7/Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback both have Stability Shafts and P2 Aware Tour Grips
Snell MTB-X

I think the biggest transition switching to a muscle back will probably be distances. Generally MB's lofts will be weaker than GI's. In addition, this will change the gapping of the set as well.

Good thing about this is my MCs have the same lofts as the MP18s. So hopefully the difference will be reliant on my ability not as much the club

Titleist TSi3 - TPO 70TX

TaylorMade Tour Spider

I have ben playing blades or combo sets for the last 15+ years and they are great if you practice often and strike the ball well. I will say its to bad you couldn't test them outside first because the turf interaction from the Srixons is fantastic. That may have changed you mind but the MP-18's are great irons good luck with them this year.

Problem with being eager and living up north

Titleist TSi3 - TPO 70TX

TaylorMade Tour Spider

I think the biggest transition switching to a muscle back will probably be distances. Generally MB's lofts will be weaker than GI's. In addition, this will change the gapping of the set as well.

Good thing about this is my MCs have the same lofts as the MP18s. So hopefully the difference will be reliant on my ability not as much the club

That's good! No need to change your wedge configuration or anything like that.

I've been going back and forth between P730s and CB57s lately. The P730s definitely punish me on distance significantly more on mishits towards the toe (usual miss) than the CB57s. But the misses with the 730s are straight and usually out of harms way, and practicing with them has made the CB57s even easier to hit.

For me it's purely based on what I need the club to do. Blades tend to launch lower and spin more. On shorter irons that's what I want. CB irons tend to launch higher and spin a bit less... That's what I want in my mid and long irons. So I went with a 7-pw MB and 4,5,6 cavity mixed set. I had to adjust lofts through the set to get the yardage gaps I wanted but it's working well.

At this point with tech the way it is I don't see a whole lot of purpose in keeping blades above 7 iron in the bag, but they serve a very solid flighting purpose for the lower irons and wedges.

Nice post. Leaning same direction. Appears Mizuno MP 18's have me hooked. I wanted so badly to bag the new Titleist 718 CB's but for whatever reason the numbers or feel wasn't there. Mizuno, going with a mixed bag of flihi 5 iron, 6-7 SC and 8-PW MB. I cannot wait for snow to melt. Agree with another post up top. Might take a couple of rounds to dial in but I'm confident by middle May, early June, I'll be thankful and never look back. Like playing the piano right?

Did the same thing last fall. Wanted to play blades, found a basically new set for $600 and bought them since at worst, they would look awesome sitting there. I guessed on a X shaft and bought a set of PX 6.5 pulls. So, I went from mp-25s with s300 AMTs to a 3-pw set of MP-18s with PX 6.5s. I fully expected to be a touch shorter. I'm at least a club longer through the set. It's been shocking as I'm not a great ballstriker but these things are rocket launchers. I'm not positive on spin right now but I haven't noticed a lower launch with them.

I went from a high launch, low spin iron set to the apex mbs and honestly didn't find the transition that difficult.

I will say that if I mishit it, I definitely feel it more, but my new shafts fit my swing better so that has tightened up the dispersion. I honestly think the shaft had a bigger impact for me than the club head.

I’m thinking about a combo st for this year

4-6 Apex CF 16

7-PW Apex MB

I know that’s a drastic change from 6 to 7 by if I can adjust the lofts, these clubs should do everything I want.

The good thing about Callaway is that they typically have higher bounce so adjusting the lofts of the MB’s to match the CF16 should be easy

I wanted to do this with Mizuno but the bounce angles are too low.

"For the past 6 years or so I've been playing the Taylormade TP MCs which are ugly as heck but were great clubs to me. They felt great and really helped me grow my game to where iron play is one of my biggest strengths. But right now is time for something new."

Based on these 3 sentances alone, you'll fit in great around here. :)

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I remember picking up my first set of blades, still one of the best golfing decisions I ever made. They grew my love for the game even more, I just wanted to go out and hit them!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

For eight years I switched between a full PW-3i set of MP-60 CBs and MP-67 MBs back and forth. Both sets were fitted to the exact same specs and both had original Rifle 5.0 shafts. Completely identical sets with the exception of the heads. During that time I ranged between 8 - 16 index. On average it really didn't matter what set I played but on my good days I always went lower with my blades. Eventually I realized that blades are at the very least equal in playability to CBs but superior on good days so I fully switched over to blades. I now play Miura baby blades exclusively and not coincidentally I play my best golf with them.

Forgiveness is a carney sham(e)!!!

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

OP a 0.2 hdcp and he's asking us? I'm confused.

I have a buddy that's a +2 who gives me a hard time for wanting blades and thinks it would be stupid to ever play a set. But hey maybe I am stupid, but man do they feel fantastic. Would be stupid not to want them!

Titleist TSi3 - TPO 70TX

TaylorMade Tour Spider

For eight years I switched between a full PW-3i set of MP-60 CBs and MP-67 MBs back and forth. Both sets were fitted to the exact same specs and both had original Rifle 5.0 shafts. Completely identical sets with the exception of the heads. During that time I ranged between 8 - 16 index. On average it really didn't matter what set I played but on my good days I always went lower with my blades. Eventually I realized that blades are at the very least equal in playability to CBs but superior on good days so I fully switched over to blades. I now play Miura baby blades exclusively and not coincidentally I play my best golf with them.

He's back!!! Really missed that black cat with those green eyes :-)

I honestly was resisting the urge to post but your post and craz-e's inspired me. It's nice to share similar blades journeys.

Also I forgot to mention that my final blades "transition" was to put leather grips on all mine. The leather is much better for damping the sting of miss hit and it takes nothing away from the blissful feel of pure strikes. And that's the other part of going to blades with me. Besides the performance boost on my good days I simply cannot substitute nor replace how awesome blades feel to hit. And to me leather grips make a difference. I think a lot of what turns golfers off to blades are the harsh feeling miss hits and with leather grips it is problem solved.

Registered Bladeocrat

I honestly was resisting the urge to post but your post and craz-e's inspired me. It's nice to share similar blades journeys.

Also I forgot to mention that my final blades "transition" was to put leather grips on all mine. The leather is much better for damping the sting of miss hit and it takes nothing away from the blissful feel of pure strikes. And that's the other part of going to blades with me. Besides the performance boost on my good days I simply cannot substitute nor replace how awesome blades feel to hit. And to me leather grips make a difference. I think a lot of what turns golfers off to blades are the harsh feeling miss hits and with leather grips it is problem solved.

I view it as incentive not to screw up.

I saw that awhile ago in your sig and have been thinking of trying them out this year. However I've yet to feel this sting that everyone talks about. I do catch a few off the toe and thin here and there but honestly I don't feel a sting. To me it's just clear feedback that reminds me to focus on good mechanics, tempo and balance. High definition feedback if you will :-)

I saw that awhile ago in your sig and have been thinking of trying them out this year. However I've yet to feel this sting that everyone talks about. I do catch a few off the toe and thin here and there but honestly I don't feel a sting. To me it's just clear feedback that reminds me to focus on good mechanics, tempo and balance. High definition feedback if you will :-)

I mostly feel the sting on extremely thin miss hits, when I skull the ball. But you are right in that the superior feedback is not just about a stinging feeling. It's more about the fact that a CB or multiple materials head produces a numb and absence of feel on all strikes than anything else. That's one thing I couldn't handle after a while with my mp60s and switching to them after I had already been playing my mp67s. It was kind of like having to watch a movie on VHS tape after watching the same one earlier in high definition (if you will).

My current satin BBs have Iomic silicone grips which are like rubber and my black boron BBs have the leather Stitchbacks as per my signature. And I much prefer hitting the black boron because of how good the leather feels. And I just got some kangaroo leather Stitchbacks to replace the Iomics. Like watching 4K UHD TV on a comfy leather couch if you will.

Registered Bladeocrat

Jumping into blades wasn't that hard. I just had to keep telling myself for some time to remember to take a divot / hit past the ball and everything else seemed to fall in place. The rest was almost common sense how to fix.

Hitting it toey? Take a tiny step in at address. Same if shanking. I love playing blades now when I can and am looking forward the 2018 Cobras for that reason.