Dog Breed

longball

Boxer fan 100%. We have a 15 month little one, and she’s is very protective of her. She does very good with other little babies on play dates but is very alliterative of strangers she doesn’t know. I grew up with labs, As long as I have kids I will have boxers.

* just for the record, we have a French bulldog, love the dude to death but he’s a retirement dog. Just sleeps all the time. Haha.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I read this thread. We have two labs, and they are just awesome (we also have two small children, 6 and 4 year old girls). Our dogs are the best dogs ever, they tolerate all kinds of "dressing up" and hanging around their necks, etc. However, they are 12 and 11 years old and we can tell they aren't going to be with us much longer.

My wife has thrown down an ultimatum though, no shedding dogs anymore. She loves our dogs as much as I do, but the shedding drives her nuts and I guess I can't blame her.

I have an ultimatum that I don't want a goldendoodle, yorkiepoodle, or any other type of designer dog. However, I've never thought about a Boxer before and that sounds great. I'm going to look into Boxer rescues around us.

• 2 weeks later...

We currently have 2 daughters and 2 dogs with a 3rd dog likely getting adopted in a week.

"My" dog is a 15 year old mixed breed rescue (Australian Cattle dog possibly). He's self feeding and has never had an accident in the house. If I could get him to comb out his undercoat, he'd be basically perfect. He was almost two when we got him and has been there since each of my daughters were born. He's always been their protector. He greets each one of us when we get home and won't eat or sleep in the evening until both of my daughters are in the house.

There was also a time when the kids were young, they were playing in the front yard and a humongous mastiff escaped through an open gate in our neighborhood. He (40 lbs) jumped up and positioned himself between the mastiff and our kids. His body language was like "I don't want any part of this beast", but he was also ready to fight to keep them safe. He's starting to show his age and has some vision/hearing loss, so we're about to adopt dog #3 to hopefully take over some of the watch-dog responsibilities. Looks just like this dog: http://www.bbc.co.uk...p-in-her-basket

The 2nd dog is my wife's 10 year old dachshund which is essentially useless other than for cuddling.

The upcoming third dog is a 1 year old bull terrier / lab mix rescue that is finishing some vet treatment and will hopefully be the new eyes and ears for the house. If she's half as good as "my" dog, she'll be an awesome addition to the family.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Warning. I'm completely and utterly biased on the subject :-)

Labs are a close second but nothing beats a GOLDEN - particularly when it comes to kids.

No, this is not something I'd recommend allowing or encouraging. The little one climbed on while we were getting ready for a outing and of course we had to take a pic before taking him off.

It's also interesting to note that this is my dog when she was 3 years old and that she was not raised with a child in the house (he's my god son) nor did she have a lot of exposure to kids this young in general. This is the first day that these two actually meet each other.

We have a Cocker Spaniel, she is great with the kids, very sociable.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Years ago I got a blue heeler male from a rescue. By far, the finest dog I've ever known. Today I met the border collie that is a member of our staff at the golf club - hounding the geese, etc. Very nice dog. For families I do like golden retrievers. I don't think you'll find any in a rescue/shelter. I do recommend adopting vs buying from a breeder. A couple I know love heelers too. The one I got from a rescue lasted as long as three they got from breeders (heart problems, etc). Breeders, almost across the board seemed to be really doing some harm - to many breeds. Just my opinion.

I sure miss my old heeler. He was something special...

Our Vizsla just turned 6. She’s awesome, they’re nicknamed the Velcro dog. She’s has a ton of energy but she snuggles more than any dog I’ve had. I think they’re great dogs for a family but you have to be active. They won’t exercise themselves so you gotta put in the work haha.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

While expensive, I recommend an English Bulldog. I look at it as an investment in the happiness of my wife and kids. Our Stella is so even tempered, it's ridiculous. We got her when my youngest was 4. Like any rambunctious 4 year old, she would fall on her, hug her as hard as she could, and just generally be in the dogs business all the time. Not once has she nipped, growled, or barked at our kids. Plus since she's so short and round, she can't really get on any of the furniture to spread her fur around. I couldn't imagine our house without her in it.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Our Vizsla just turned 6. She's awesome, they're nicknamed the Velcro dog. She's has a ton of energy but she snuggles more than any dog I've had. I think they're great dogs for a family but you have to be active. They won't exercise themselves so you gotta put in the work haha.

Will test your sanity first 10 yrs then its down hill.

Velcro and then some great dogs but you better know what your getting into

Wouldent trade my boy's for anything great dog's.

Our Vizsla just turned 6. She's awesome, they're nicknamed the Velcro dog. She's has a ton of energy but she snuggles more than any dog I've had. I think they're great dogs for a family but you have to be active. They won't exercise themselves so you gotta put in the work haha.

Will test your sanity first 10 yrs then its down hill.

Velcro and then some great dogs but you better know what your getting into

Wouldent trade my boy's for anything great dog's.

After our son isn’t born in a month or so, we’re going to start looking for another puppy. Probably another V but I like the liver GSP’s but they’re not as cozy as V’s.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

What type of dog would you recommend for a family with kids under 10 years old. Pictures too.

My Border Collie has been awesome, great with kids. Incredibly smart, loves to play, liked to herd the kids when they were little, can probably do long division, and doesn't have a mean bone in her body. Borders are special dogs with only one negative, a lot of fur.

I used to have an Australian Cattle Dog, and he was awesome with my daughters. He was very different than the Border. Cattle Dogs are ultra protective, and he would absolutely die trying to protect his family from a threat. I love ACDs, but they are for the 1% of dog people.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people, any type of dog is the right dog, its all about how they're raised.

With that said, I do have a GSD that is the best dog ever. She is so mild mannered and smart, has energy but not limitless energy. The one thing I wasn't prepared for was the shedding. There is so much hair all over the place. But when she goes on her way, I'll almost promise the Mrs and I will get another one.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Had a Golden Retriever for 13 years and loved him. He literally was my best friend and one of the worse days in my life was when I put him down. I promised myself that was my last dog.

Fast forward 25 years, divorced, re-married and now we're both retired. Wife finally wore me down saying "let's just get a little dog, he won't be much trouble" I now have Max, a Morkie (Yorkshire and Maltese mix) He's 9 pounds of chaos but I can't believe how attached I am to him. He is my shadow when I'm home, sits in my lap while I watch TV, and you can't believe how he greets me when I get home.

I purchase him from a family who's female is his mother. They have 3 young ones and the Morkies are great with kids.

So, if you have room and a big yard I'd recommend the Golden. If you want something smaller that doesn't shed, you can't go wrong with the Morkie.

Jim

Had a Golden Retriever for 13 years and loved him. He literally was my best friend and one of the worse days in my life was when I put him down. I promised myself that was my last dog.

Fast forward 25 years, divorced, re-married and now we're both retired. Wife finally wore me down saying "let's just get a little dog, he won't be much trouble" I now have Max, a Morkie (Yorkshire and Maltese mix) He's 9 pounds of chaos but I can't believe how attached I am to him. He is my shadow when I'm home, sits in my lap while I watch TV, and you can't believe how he greets me when I get home.

I purchase him from a family who's female is his mother. They have 3 young ones and the Morkies are great with kids.

So, if you have room and a big yard I'd recommend the Golden. If you want something smaller that doesn't shed, you can't go wrong with the Morkie.

Jim

We had a basset hound that was wonderful. He would let little kids do pretty much anything. We recently adopted a tree walking coonhound and he is fun too.

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

If you love dogs than you must see this. Exposes the pet food industry, why pets shed hair, have cancer tumors, age earlier, etc. Just FYI . . .

You can find on Amazon

71P8icGpv7L._SY445_.jpg

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

• 3 weeks later...

I have had 2 dachshunds and 2 Rotties. I would recommend a Rottie in a heartbeat! They get a bad wrap! They are the big sucks I have ever seen! Rotties are the only dog for me! Let YouTube be your guide. ;)

Ping Hoofer Lite

Mizuno ST Max 9.5*

Mizuno ST Max 3/7W

Mizuno ST Max 5/6H

Mizuno 243 7-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

For a family dog, you absolutely cannot go wrong with a Golden Retriever. They're very even tempered, affectionate, easy to train, and not aggressive. They are a pretty active breed and require a good bit of exercise, they are prone to weight gain if not exercised enough or over fed (and trust me, they will sniff out food, so keep secured) and they shed. Everywhere. A lot. Brushing at least three times a week is a must.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

• 3 months later...

English Bulldog. Ours is AWESOME with our 3 and 1 year olds. He is going to be 7 this year and since bulldogs have a VERY high pain tolerance and are beyond laid back. He never cares when one of the kids are using him as a trampoline or pulling his face wrinkles to see how far they can stretch. It also helps that his top speed is about that of a 3 year old too so when they are playing in the yard is an even playing field speed wise.