2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Bandon Dunes Planning for 2019

First Timer working on planning a trip to Bandon next March with a bunch of buddies that are turning 40 next year.

March...Good idea or bad idea?

Best place to stay with a group of 8 or less?

Best place to fly into Eugene or Portland?

Best transportation from either place?

Shorty's or The Preserve our first afternoon?

This is a rough literary I came up with before nailing down our reservations.

Wednesday

Arrival

Shorty’s (Par 3)

Thursday

Pacific Dunes

Old Macdonald

Friday

Bandon Dunes

The Preserve

Saturday

Bandon Trails

Pacific Dunes

Sunday

Departure

Does this seem like a typical trip to Bandon? What am I missing and any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Timer working on planning a trip to Bandon next March with a bunch of buddies that are turning 40 next year.

March...Good idea or bad idea?

Best place to stay with a group of 8 or less?

Best place to fly into Eugene or Portland?

Best transportation from either place?

Shorty's or The Preserve our first afternoon?

This is a rough literary I came up with before nailing down our reservations.

Wednesday

Arrival

Shorty’s (Par 3)

Thursday

Pacific Dunes

Old Macdonald

Friday

Bandon Dunes

The Preserve

Saturday

Bandon Trails

Pacific Dunes

Sunday

Departure

Does this seem like a typical trip to Bandon? What am I missing and any suggestions would be awesome.

Thanks in advance

I would flip pac dunes and trails on Saturday. Otherwise, the wind is going to make it pretty tough. You'll get wind no matter what, so that isn't a massive thing, but my preference. Also, in my opinion, I would replace shorty's with the preserve on the first day. I don't really think shorty's is a must if you travel all that way. If you are looking for a break, I think it is more fun to make some bets and have some drinks on the punch bowl.

I flew into Portland and rented a car, easy/pretty drive.

I have only ever stayed at the lodge, which was great. I know the grove is like cottages for bigger groups though.

Shortys isn’t open until Thursday

Bandon and PAC are the easier walks.

Trails and Mac take the longest.

You can get anything far as weather. Knew two groups of guys went down this past weekend and only had 2 holes of showers. The rest was sunny or partly cloudy.

8 people

You could book the Bandon Manor house as they have access to tee times outside the 21 days if not staying at a lodge. House is right at the entry way from HWY 101.

It’s a longer drive from PDX, but have heard it’s cheaper than into Eugene. Plus there’s more flights into PDX

Everybody relax, I’m here

Where are you flying from? The SFO to North Bend is a quick jump and you can set up a shuttle that’ll get you to the resort with enough time for a beer. No need for a car once on property.

We go with 16 guys and in 15 days I will be back for trip #3.

Ship Sticks is great.

Lily Pond is a great deal.

The Inn is cool with the library area.

We do The Preserve upon arrival and Shortys on our last night until dark.

40 days out, make dinner reservations.

Went last year Mar30-Apr3 and again in two weeks. First week of in-season rates is dramatically less crowded.

Weather can be anything -- we had 40MPH wind and mist in the AM and 60s and sunny for afternoon rounds. Last year was lucky though, only 1 round of mist, other than that overcast or sunny and right around 60. Mornings will be cold. Get up 2.5hr before your tee time to warm up, eat, etc.

Flew into PDX. The drive down the coast was worth it though we spent two days in WV doing wine tours and back-tracked to Tillamook to hit DeGarde (beer) as well.

Alaska/Virgin ships clubs for $25 a bag and wine boxes are free so that was the kicker on choosing flights for us.

Absolutely do not miss the Preserve. Best $100 I spent each time so far.

Not sure you'll be able to check out the Ranch if they are working on it. Last year we got on but were told it was soon to be under construction. I'll inquire again with the gentleman that set us up in two weeks and report back.

Don't overthink the process either, tee sheets will be quite open if you want to move around.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

Sheep Ranch still open.

I was talking to the caretaker and development plans do not seem to be proceeding at any great pace.

Warning that during the summer the Ranch is closed due to lack of irrigation.

27119391688_85a481e8ad_h.jpg

27119391598_60f6d95475_h.jpg

Were you the 4 some out there on Friday?

Echoing what he said they have no timeline or idea on when the Sheep Ranch will be built. Actually heard a few different stories about the future of the Ranch this weekend. 1st is Hanse has gotten to big for his britches and that it now looks to be going to C&C or Doak.

2nd, word is the guy who owns 50% of Sheep Ranch with Mike Keizer owning the 50%, said to Keizer last time he saw him was “I heard you were going to build a new course there, that would be hard to do building around my 50% of the land.”

There are others there who believe it is all talk like when Doak came out a few years ago and kind of staked out another par 3 to the right of #2 & 3 on Trails. They say Keizer leaks these things out to drum up more interest in the resort.

• 2 weeks later...

I would stay on site. Rooms are nice and they treat you well. It makes life so much easier to be able to just shuttle back to your rooms and you also don't have to worry about designated drivers.

I go in February. Had 6 trips now and we have some great weather most of the time. Out the 33 days in Feb I have been there we have 1 day that you could not golf due to weather and 3 "no fun" days.

• 5 months later...

has anyone ever stayed in coos bay? ...

Yes...most places are not good. I prefer staying in Bandon: BW Face Rock, Table Rock inn, Bandon Inn all head shoulders above anything in Coos.

We stayed in Coos Bay - we were there exactly 4 weeks ago. It worked out fine for us - much more affordable and the 30 minute drive isn't bad.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Whats your rough estimate on cost per person for this trip? Curious about doing something similar and would love to know

just impossible to accurately say. rates differ so much based on time of trip and how much golf you play and how you play that golf (caddie). You could go for 500 and you could go for 2000.

Whats your rough estimate on cost per person for this trip? Curious about doing something similar and would love to know

Like an earlier poster said, very different to estimate costs because of different price of rooms, replay rates and a few other issues. I put on at least one, sometimes 2 trips a year. My main trip is in April with 12 guys and can give you an idea.

Every year its a Wednesday thru Sunday, 5 days/4 nights. We get into town Wednesday morning. Last year we were scheduled to play 7 rounds and the preserve twice. Either 2 18's or 18 and the preserve every day and one morning round Sunday. Cost on golf, no caddie and no push cart was $1205, if you played all rounds.

With this group, we have stayed in the Golf Double at The Inn. 2 to a room. I really like these rooms for this group. They are the rooms at the Inn that face the 18th green of Bandon Dunes and all have patio doors to sit outside together. We have all the rooms on one side of the Inn every year and can hang out. The costs of those rooms is $310 per room, $155 per guy. For 4 nights, $620 per guy.

Last year I brought some alcohol, gatorades, power bars and oatmeal packages. Next year, everyone is tossing in $100 and I am going to get supplies. I get airplane bottles of vodka and whiskey. Saves a bunch of money, but just as important we all monitor our drinking and we have yetti's so there is no condensation from the cups when we get drinks. Keeps hands warmer during the round. Always important on the second round of the day. Also, I find the dinner food to be hearty so I'm not always hungry first thing in the morning and usually would prefer extra time in the sauna/jacuzzi than sitting down at breakfast. And after all these years, I really don't need the buffet, so squeezable oatmeal (almost like baby food) was a big hit in our group. Last year we were able to significantly shave costs all the while finding the it to be much more convenient and enjoyable. Gave us more time at the range, putting green and hanging out before the round.

All told, I tell guys to budget $2000 for this trip. Again, that does not include caddies, souvenirs and lunch / dinner or getting there.

Something that not everyone is aware of, if you don't make your second round of the day, there is no charge. I always book the preserve or a second round for the day and there are a few of us that play every scheduled round. But we have a few bad knees in our group that struggle with that, so its nice to have it booked and let them decide how they feel.

If you are willing to spend more money on lodging, the suites in the lodge are great. The golf suite and the lodge suite have a lot of room and have decks that you can watch guys coming in 18. They are great, but for me it depends on the group I go with for the rooms I prefer.

Lastly, when planning your trip for the spring, take into account day light savings and other sporting events. I have gone in February and we got superb weather. But getting 2 rounds in a day, while doable, was tough. I went for March Madness one year and honestly did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. We played golf in the mornings and were glued to games after the round. Not as much time at the Preserve or firepits hanging out with friends who don't see enough of each other anymore. And that was before the punchbowl was open. We like to soak up the atmosphere and big sporting events have taken that away from our group. Everyone is different, but that was my experience.

I know that's a lot of information, but if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Like an earlier poster said, very different to estimate costs because of different price of rooms, replay rates and a few other issues. I put on at least one, sometimes 2 trips a year. My main trip is in April with 12 guys and can give you an idea.

Every year its a Wednesday thru Sunday, 5 days/4 nights. We get into town Wednesday morning. Last year we were scheduled to play 7 rounds and the preserve twice. Either 2 18's or 18 and the preserve every day and one morning round Sunday. Cost on golf, no caddie and no push cart was $1205, if you played all rounds.

With this group, we have stayed in the Golf Double at The Inn. 2 to a room. I really like these rooms for this group. They are the rooms at the Inn that face the 18th green of Bandon Dunes and all have patio doors to sit outside together. We have all the rooms on one side of the Inn every year and can hang out. The costs of those rooms is $310 per room, $155 per guy. For 4 nights, $620 per guy.

Last year I brought some alcohol, gatorades, power bars and oatmeal packages. Next year, everyone is tossing in $100 and I am going to get supplies. I get airplane bottles of vodka and whiskey. Saves a bunch of money, but just as important we all monitor our drinking and we have yetti's so there is no condensation from the cups when we get drinks. Keeps hands warmer during the round. Always important on the second round of the day. Also, I find the dinner food to be hearty so I'm not always hungry first thing in the morning and usually would prefer extra time in the sauna/jacuzzi than sitting down at breakfast. And after all these years, I really don't need the buffet, so squeezable oatmeal (almost like baby food) was a big hit in our group. Last year we were able to significantly shave costs all the while finding the it to be much more convenient and enjoyable. Gave us more time at the range, putting green and hanging out before the round.

All told, I tell guys to budget $2000 for this trip. Again, that does not include caddies, souvenirs and lunch / dinner or getting there.

Something that not everyone is aware of, if you don't make your second round of the day, there is no charge. I always book the preserve or a second round for the day and there are a few of us that play every scheduled round. But we have a few bad knees in our group that struggle with that, so its nice to have it booked and let them decide how they feel.

If you are willing to spend more money on lodging, the suites in the lodge are great. The golf suite and the lodge suite have a lot of room and have decks that you can watch guys coming in 18. They are great, but for me it depends on the group I go with for the rooms I prefer.

Lastly, when planning your trip for the spring, take into account day light savings and other sporting events. I have gone in February and we got superb weather. But getting 2 rounds in a day, while doable, was tough. I went for March Madness one year and honestly did not enjoy it as much as I thought I would. We played golf in the mornings and were glued to games after the round. Not as much time at the Preserve or firepits hanging out with friends who don't see enough of each other anymore. And that was before the punchbowl was open. We like to soak up the atmosphere and big sporting events have taken that away from our group. Everyone is different, but that was my experience.

I know that's a lot of information, but if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

This is a great post. Thank you.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

^We do a similar length of time 5 days/4 nights and 5/7 rounds - during their Thanksgiving to end of January rates and it typically costs about $1050-$1350 for golf/B&B depending on rooms and how many rounds. Dinner/drink/travel will obviously depend on the person or persons.

One thing I will say, is if you know not everyone is going to do replays, it's a serious bush league move knowingly taking those times away from people that will use them. Yes you can walk up on the day and see, but still.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm going for the second time this year as part of a similar large group trip, thurs-sun last weekend in January, 4 days, 3 nights. 2 dinners and 3 breakfasts. One round per course with the preserve as a replay. We are at 950 all in. Any replays on your own dime, plus booze.

Have heard weather has been up and down for past trips, these guys have been doing this for years. Last year we had a little of everything. Under 1000 for the whole thing is a great deal though.

Thank you, hbrar99! That was exactly what I was looking for.