2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD PGI; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; :mizuno-small: S23, :kbs: 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, :kbs: One Step, :garsen: Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small:XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; :cobra-small:-Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

Jaggie, yeah good luck with the testing.

One other thing. the F8 have the forged pwrshell only in the 7 to 4 irons. The 8 to PW is just "regular" head, no pwrshell. If you look at the Cobra site, they never point that out eventhough they really push their forged "Pwrshell" as one of the technology in the one lengths.

Honestly, the 8 to PW don't feel too bad either, soft (but not too forged soft) but definitely not rock hard. Comparable to the Ping Ansers that I have as a backup. The weird thing is that the F7 has the Pwrshell from PW all the way down to the 4 iron. Now, to me, the Pwrshell is interesting in the F8, it really does feel like a soft trampoline, you'll swear the ball just "bounces" off the face, HOT! I didn't get that with the F7s when I tested it.

I might have to test the Forged Tec myself. I am curious as well to see what Cobra has done.

So I spent Sat and Sun testing F8 OL out. About 20 mins each day and tested the 5i, 7i, PW and GW. Actually had no issues adjusting to irons. The 5i and for sure the 7i were pretty easy to hit. I was getting 165 carry with 7i and 185 with the 5i. Penetrating ball flight ! The best thing about the 5i was just a smooth swing and the ball rocketed off the face. Mishits were not as bad. I attempted to purposely put some bad swing (over the top, shallow) and disperson was as bad as I would have expected

The PW and GW were sweet to hit and for the most part I got past the weird feeling at setup. Just trained my mind that I am swinging a 7i. The only issue I experienced was the massively high ball flight. I only attempted full swings but would have to try again with partial wedge swings. It will likely feel weird taking a half, 3/4 swings with 7i length wedges. I was not too enamored with the awkwardly high ball flight. On windy daysthis would be a nightmare besides the fact I just cant fathom hitting it so high and accurately control the distances. As you mentioned the wedges did not have that sweet forged feel, while the 5i and 7i did feel springy with the Powershell

I liked the concept, the irons are definitely forgiving but I may have to try them some more before I buy into the concept. And if what some others have said about the F8 irons quality being not the best after a few rounds, then Cobra is only doing themselves a disservice.

Them is purdy.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Jaggie, yeah good luck with the testing.

One other thing. the F8 have the forged pwrshell only in the 7 to 4 irons. The 8 to PW is just "regular" head, no pwrshell. If you look at the Cobra site, they never point that out eventhough they really push their forged "Pwrshell" as one of the technology in the one lengths.

Honestly, the 8 to PW don't feel too bad either, soft (but not too forged soft) but definitely not rock hard. Comparable to the Ping Ansers that I have as a backup. The weird thing is that the F7 has the Pwrshell from PW all the way down to the 4 iron. Now, to me, the Pwrshell is interesting in the F8, it really does feel like a soft trampoline, you'll swear the ball just "bounces" off the face, HOT! I didn't get that with the F7s when I tested it.

I might have to test the Forged Tec myself. I am curious as well to see what Cobra has done.

So I spent Sat and Sun testing F8 OL out. About 20 mins each day and tested the 5i, 7i, PW and GW. Actually had no issues adjusting to irons. The 5i and for sure the 7i were pretty easy to hit. I was getting 165 carry with 7i and 185 with the 5i. Penetrating ball flight ! The best thing about the 5i was just a smooth swing and the ball rocketed off the face. Mishits were not as bad. I attempted to purposely put some bad swing (over the top, shallow) and disperson was as bad as I would have expected

The PW and GW were sweet to hit and for the most part I got past the weird feeling at setup. Just trained my mind that I am swinging a 7i. The only issue I experienced was the massively high ball flight. I only attempted full swings but would have to try again with partial wedge swings. It will likely feel weird taking a half, 3/4 swings with 7i length wedges. I was not too enamored with the awkwardly high ball flight. On windy daysthis would be a nightmare besides the fact I just cant fathom hitting it so high and accurately control the distances. As you mentioned the wedges did not have that sweet forged feel, while the 5i and 7i did feel springy with the Powershell

I liked the concept, the irons are definitely forgiving but I may have to try them some more before I buy into the concept. And if what some others have said about the F8 irons quality being not the best after a few rounds, then Cobra is only doing themselves a disservice.

After a few rounds, I got used to hitting partial shots, and moving the ball position back or up as desired. And since they are all the same length, once you learn those things, they work with the whole set. I no longer feel that I hit the wedges too high, because I just move the ball back some.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Moving from a 35.5 to 37 inch wedge, you only gain maybe 3 MPH of swing speed. Since there are plenty of people playing wedges with more swing speed than you or me, the speed from the extra 1.5 inches is not what causes the high flight.

It can only be:

1) 7 iron tipped shaft is more flexible at the tip.

2) Shallower angle of attack presents more of the loft to the ball.

3) Ball position.

The fact that the F8's still do it tells me the shafts are not really the answer.

Having played SL, my educated guesses are 3, 2, 1 in order of significance. Anyone who is having the issue, move the ball back on wedge shots. That should also steepen your angle of attack at the same time.

Moving the ball around does not negate the benefits of SL. Trust me. Quite the opposite, it makes them more versatile and makes you a better shotmaker.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

The problem with the Edel and Cleveland is that both are built around a 7-iron length. That makes it easier to fly the lower irons, but it makes hitting the higher irons all that much harder.

I play the Sterlings, 4-GW. I recently purchased the SW and LW. They're great with a full swing, as well as with chipping and putting. But lob shots and bunker play are not ideal; the clubs are too flat and create toe-drag when opening them up to hit it high or out of the sand, especially if you choke down to get them to a manageable length. A bridge too far. Again, with squared faces, these wedges are just fine.

I've been playing these for 16 months. I will never go back. And if Ping decided to take the plunge....

After about 5 months with mine, I feel that there are really only a couple of benefits and many limitations.

1. If you over think the shot it usually ends in a misfit.

2. They reward smooth consistent swings, and penalize over swinging - trying to squeeze out more distance.

3. Misshits, other than chunks, are not as bad as you would think.

4. When the honeymoon is over you feel like you will play just as well with VL irons

5. you will still have bad days

My game is currently in a slump and I am overthinking. I feel the key is to return to smooth but controlled swings. My last 4 outings was 101, 108, 101, 92. All higher than what I consider my current average to be, though now my spreadsheet says diff..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

i am about the same time into the SL idea. My Cons & Pros:

SL irons won't fix your swing issues by themselves

'Single length' is a bit of a misnomer, as you'll still need 4-7 different lengths in your set of 14 clubs

The lower lofts have a lower apex and less vertical decent angle (not really a big deal unless you are playing very firm greens)

Refraining from over swinging the long irons takes a bit of mental discipline

SL does zero to help you find the errand driver shot or prevent three putts (two of my main three scoring issues)

SL will limit the number of variables you need to practice and adjust to (really the main benefit)

What you practice with one club translates to all the SL clubs.

The hope of a marked improvement has energized my practice sessions

All of your SL clubs can be hit with a wedge swing

You can be creative with using your lowest lofted SL club by hitting them like you would a wedge (my favorite benefit)

My contact consistency has improved some what (my third major scoring issue) in the last few months. I attribute that to more focused practice which can be partially credited to the SL clubs

Just got a set of F7 ones. 5-gw and added a 19* SL f8 hybrid. So far I love the SL clubs. I also cut & reweighted my epic driver down to 44" and my epic 3w to 42". Making much better contact through out the bag. Tempo is huge with single length. I find before a round if I take just the 8 iron to the range and warm up with smooth swings that is the feeling I need for every iron shot during my round. My only variable length clubs are driver, 3w, and sw. I usually only carry 12 clubs.

After about 5 months with mine, I feel that there are really only a couple of benefits and many limitations.

2. They reward smooth consistent swings, and penalize over swinging - trying to squeeze out more distance.

4. When the honeymoon is over you feel like you will play just as well with VL irons

To be fair I'd say that all five of these would apply to any irons you tried - not just SL.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

To be fair I'd say that all five of these would apply to any irons you tried - not just SL.

DC you are right. But in my experience, and it seems that of others too, the SL set forces an educational adjustment on you. Namely, if you keep trying to kill your 5 iron, you won't get any benefit from it being shorter. So you learn to swing it like a smooth 7 iron. And if you try to kill your PW, it flies too high. So again you learn to put a smooth swing on it. By that time you have to be getting the idea that a smooth swing is a good thing. I think those who briefly try SL and don't like them probably never got to the state of mind I just described. They are over-swinging their 5 irons and hitting them fat/thin/sideways. And secondarily, haven't learned how the wedges like to be hit. All just my opinion, obviously.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

DC you are right. But in my experience, and it seems that of others too, the SL set forces an educational adjustment on you. Namely, if you keep trying to kill your 5 iron, you won't get any benefit from it being shorter. So you learn to swing it like a smooth 7 iron. And if you try to kill your PW, it flies too high. So again you learn to put a smooth swing on it. By that time you have to be getting the idea that a smooth swing is a good thing. I think those who briefly try SL and don't like them probably never got to the state of mind I just described. They are over-swinging their 5 irons and hitting them fat/thin/sideways. And secondarily, haven't learned how the wedges like to be hit. All just my opinion, obviously.

I actually accredit much of my swing improvement to the Single Length and what you just mentioned. I definitely learned that simplifying the swing and working at a consistent tempo will only help improve one's game. That said, and I realize that I'm the outcast in this forum, I just missed the variation and extra attention to detail that a standard length set demands. After 2 seasons with Single Length I switched back to standard and have never hit the ball better than I do now and completely accredit that to my Single Length detour.

And just ordered 3-9 King Forged Tech Black OL's from DD.

I hate you all.

Welcome to the dark side. Enjoy your more consistent iron shots.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

I've played 3 x 9 hole rounds in the last 2 weeks and shot 4-5 pars per round. I'm confident in saying that NEVER happened with my previous set of SGI irons. I had 2 doubles today thanks to a pair of 3 putts.

I'm dying to try the G700 irons but there really isn't any point. These clubs have been awesome and SL (for me) has been fantastic.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I bought a set of Wishon Sterling irons... tried them at the range... hit them like crap... sold them a week later for a neat little profit.

They weren't fit for me so that could have been the problem, but I've tried other sets in the past (1irongolf.com) and it never ends up as well in real life as it seems it will in my fantasies. Same could be said for a lot of things I suppose.

And just ordered 3-9 King Forged Tech Black OL's from DD.

I hate you all.

Welcome to the dark side. Enjoy your more consistent iron shots.

+1

PXG Black Ops 10.5* w/Fujikura Motore F3
PING G425 Max 3 wood w/ALTA CB 65 Slate

Taylormade Stealth 15* w/Hzrdus RDX 75

SRIXON 3 (22°) Utility Iron w/Recoil Dart F3   
PXG 0317T (5-W) w/Recoil Dart F4

PXG Sugar Daddy II 56* w/Recoil Dart F4

VOKEY SM9 50° & 60° w/Tensei AV
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 w/Accra Shaft (Black on Black)
PRO V1x

I bought a set of Wishon Sterling irons... tried them at the range... hit them like crap... sold them a week later for a neat little profit.

They weren't fit for me so that could have been the problem, but I've tried other sets in the past (1irongolf.com) and it never ends up as well in real life as it seems it will in my fantasies. Same could be said for a lot of things I suppose.

Its not for everyone I'm sure.

My SL irons helped changed how I can practice and prepare. Simplified setup, swing, posture, stance etc. This led to consistency from top to bottom. By mid season I could bring two clubs to the range. I could practice less and play more. It didnt matter which clubs I was working with everything was the same except the yardage they went.

I've posted before but I kept all my stats for all 106 rounds last year and my stats were quantifiable and my improvement was measurable with game golf and excel. GIR percentage up, proximity to the hole improved and handicap down over 2 full points.

I couldnt see myself switching back to conventional irons, but I'm one of three people in my town who bought them.

Just received my F8 one length and spent a couple minutes on my Skytrak. Initial impressions are very positive. Surprisingly I'm not bothered at all with the shorter shaft long irons and longer shaft short irons, I was hitting them great right off the bat. Felt almost like cheating. I'm going to put them into play tomorrow for some on course testing but I'm super optimistic about these.

My only concern at the moment though is that the cobras seem to spin super low for me. I was a club longer with the cobras vs my z745s but I'm attributing that to the low spin. We'll see how it goes tomorrow.

I bought a set of those Cobra F7 single lengths with the regular steel shafts off the shelf for small money just for the fun of it. 5 through gap wedge, standard loft, length and lie (which normally fits me perfectly with Cobra irons). I was curious to see if this worked for me, I always hit my 7 iron well, it's my practice club, so why not have a go with a set full of 7s?

Three practice sessions and one round under the belt so far, how do these work for me? Very very well! The standard specs fit my swing perfectly, as if they were fit for me. I swing my 7i slightly above 80 mph, the first two practice session I had a look at the distance gaps, and I honestly didn't notice much difference. I hit the wedges extremely well and with astonishing precision, and a tad longer than my VL ones. 9, 8, 7 go with a high but penetrating flight, they stop where they land. Very easy to hit. Surprisingly I had no real height issues with 6 and 5. I just put them in the 7 iron position and swung away as I did with the other clubs. The results were very consistent, I rarely mishit a shot, everything went straight, with good trajectory and height. The distance gaps between clubs were very consistent, if you have decent contact and put enough speed on them they will do their job well. I found it very pleasing to pick my club, take my middle iron stance and just swing away. I fought the need to give the 5 and the 6 a harder whack at first, once I got over that I realized that the good contact made up for the need for speed. Just one round in, but on the course they worked equally well. Since the first nine of my home course are not overly long but very tight I played irons off the tee on all but one hole. I didn't really mishit a single iron shot, the 5 is ramrod straight off the tee, and again it was pretty easy to just pick the club, take the standard stance and put a good mid-iron swing on it. I had five greens out of 9 in regulation, that's very good for me. The short game verdict is not in yet, I had a few chips with it which went well, since I managed to avoid the 30-40 yard distance to the green (which I hate) there was no need to hit those.

For me and my game these seem to work well. Especially the 9, PW and GW are fun to hit, I have a little more reach thanks to the longer shaft, can stand comfortably above the ball, hands are a little higher, I don't have to bend down that much. This suits my swing very well. If you're able to make solid contact and create enough swing speed this concept can work very well. I can't remember hitting so many consistent iron shots like I did in these three sessions. I will keep these for the next few weeks, and if the initial impression continues I think maybe I will get me some fitted Cobra SL's from the newer generation. But who knows, if the F7 with that standard steel shaft will continue to work that well, why not keep them.

I could see the concept in the 4, 5, 6, 7 itons, but I don't think I want my short irons to have longer shafts.

I thought the same until I actually tried hitting them. Once you get the added length out of your mind these perform pretty well. I don't grip down, I don't narrow my stance, I don't vary the ball position. I address the ball like I would with a 7 iron and give it a wallop. Results in a relatively high but controlled trajectory, distance control and direction are spot on for me. Using these clubs is more a task for your head than for your swing mechanics. The Cobra F7 feel very good for a GI and are sooo easy to hit.

For those who prefer VL in the short irons,Cobra can provide these lengths from their Cobra -8 VL make up.

So I am thinking of having a set built 5-8i at 36.50" from their SL series and 9-G at 35.75;35.50;35.25 from their VL series. They would adjust the SW to D0,and tweak the loftand lies as well.

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

Just got done on the Skytrak. I recorded 5 solid shots each with a 9, 7, and 5 iron. I deleted any obvious chunks and thin shots, I'm not a robot :). Anyways, here is the data. I'm not a long hitter so don't hate! I'm going to have to pick up a one length gap wedge to fill in the new hole between my PW and 52 vokey.

Srixon Z745 vs Cobra F8 OL

Skytrak settings: Sea level, no wind, 70 degrees, 50% humidity, KSIG ball

z745 9 iron

745%209_zpsngk0zvgy.jpg

f8 9 iron

f8%209_zpsnh6osh1o.jpg

z745 7 iron

745%207_zpsqhi2y2th.jpg

f8 7 iron

f8%207_zpsfv0fsqk0.jpg

z745 5 iron

745%205_zpstpb3jtuw.jpg

f8 5 iron

f8%205_zpszebvuepg.jpg

I stop at gap for now but am definitely curious for full shots. The gap flies a bit further than I am used to and like the idea of the same set up for a 56ish 100 yard swing.

I stop at the GW in my Edel's. The GW is not like a 50* sand wedge...its more like an 11 iron. I have not hit the Edel 55* SW, but if it plays like a '12 iron'...I am interested in one as well. I'd drop my Kasco K2K 33 and my current 54* wedge and add a 60* wedge for bunker play.

I did get the SL Edel SLS-01 SW. Originally it was intended for full wedge shots only. I now find I am using it more and more over my standard single Edel Digger wedge. It is just too stupid easy to choke down, lay open, pitch, chip, etc. I was intending using it for longer bunker shots greenside, but now i reserve the option to use either wedge to solve problems

I don't know how one doesn't hit them well, unless they don't fit. It's one swing, folks. Just hit all of them like you would an 8-iron. Same stance, same ball placement, same swing, everything.

As for the clubs themselves, they're pretty easy to hit. A slightly thick topline, some progressive offset, some bounce, good perimeter weighting. These aren't Ping G, of course, but more like Ping I. They don't have slots all over the place, but that's a necessity. The 4-7 already have a high COR, and the 8-Wedges have to be softened. (The 4-7 make a nice, soft >clink< when you flush them.)

I've played them (4-GW) for 16 months. I'm never, ever going back to VL. Got a nice set of clubs from 2016 just sitting there, barely used (and not touched since I got the Sterlings).

I couldnt see myself switching back to conventional irons, but I'm one of three people in my town who bought them.

I've been playing Sterlings for 16 months. I play once or twice a week, always going out by myself and paired with strangers. I've never played with anyone else who had SL irons of any make, much less Sterling. I never see it. Admittedly, I play most of my golf on municipal courses. (I'm too busy to get in 18, so I play a lot of 9-hole courses.) Perhaps my sample is skewed, but after more than a year, you'd think I'd run into SOMEONE who place some version of SL. Nope.