MEMBERS' CHOICE: Best driver of 2018? Poll added

knudson81

Hit 100 drives the other day on a launch monitor. Can someone help me with this. I can’t find a tmade M3 that fits me. I hit the 8.5 with 13 degrees launch, but spin hovered around 1200. Well struck shots went a mile. Then with the 9.5 it goes too high with too much spin. So when adjusting the lofts with the loft sleeve it changes the shot type and dispersion left and right too much. Becomes too hard to turn over, etc. does anyone have any ideas?

Hit 100 drives the other day on a launch monitor. Can someone help me with this. I can't find a tmade M3 that fits me. I hit the 8.5 with 13 degrees launch, but spin hovered around 1200. Well struck shots went a mile. Then with the 9.5 it goes too high with too much spin. So when adjusting the lofts with the loft sleeve it changes the shot type and dispersion left and right too much. Becomes too hard to turn over, etc. does anyone have any ideas?

Did you try the moveable weights to see if this helped you create the launch conditions you are after?

Also maybe try the M4, just another option as well as a few different shafts

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

Hit 100 drives the other day on a launch monitor. Can someone help me with this. I can't find a tmade M3 that fits me. I hit the 8.5 with 13 degrees launch, but spin hovered around 1200. Well struck shots went a mile. Then with the 9.5 it goes too high with too much spin. So when adjusting the lofts with the loft sleeve it changes the shot type and dispersion left and right too much. Becomes too hard to turn over, etc. does anyone have any ideas?

Did you try the moveable weights to see if this helped you create the launch conditions you are after?

Yeah I did It all. The M4 seemed to only go right. The M3 weights moving around didn’t do much. I’m beginning to think the monitor didn’t pick things up correctly. I game the Rogue Sub at 8 degrees with good high launch and 1800-2000 spin and That’s with my good CK Pro Orange shaft. The stock white board with TM was giving me insanely low spin numbers at 8.5. It sets up well and looks good, but it made me feel like it’s tough to find the right head. Makes me feel like I shouldn’t switch.

Anyone have any comparisons between the Rogue and M3?

Ping G400 LST is still killing it for me. It's just so forgiving. Really want to find a Tensei Orange V3 70tx to test against my Kuro Kage Dual Core XT. Thinking maybe I'll pick up a little swing speed with the counterbalance design

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

Long cold winter in Cincy, so this is based on indoor testing and one outdoor demo day and maybe 3 rounds.

1. Ping G 400. Point and shoot fairway finder. Arguably, not as long as the competition, but out on the course it really isn't noticeable. Matte black finish really hides the aero bits on the crown and the club inspires a ton of confidence behind the ball.

2. Rogue - Almost perfect marriage of the Epic and the Fusion. Highest ball speeds I saw on good swings, but plenty of forgiveness on bad swings. Should have called this 1b instead of 2. Really wish it had a matte finish, so I will probably send mine to Continental to have that done.

3. F8 Tour - This is based solely on a dozen swings without a launch monitor. Consistently landed the ball around the same driving range sign as the Rogue, and when it was set to "draw" seemed to give me the straightest ball flight of anything I hit. So nice to be able to demo a 44.5 inch driver built to play at that length. By far the most useful adjustability of any driver this year. Would have considered buying this over the Rogue, if it wasn't for Callaway's trade in deal.

Ping G400 LST is still killing it for me. It's just so forgiving. Really want to find a Tensei Orange V3 70tx to test against my Kuro Kage Dual Core XT. Thinking maybe I'll pick up a little swing speed with the counterbalance design

Same here. Currently playing the Tensei Pro White and just picked up a Aldila Mamba Copperhead TX to see if any speed can be gained when maintaining the same consistency. Would love to find a Tensei Pro Orange at a reasonable price to test all 3 side by side and then stop looking at all driver and shaft options for the foreseeable future.

Titleist TSR2 9* Black AD DI 6X
Callaway 816 Alpha 14* Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70S
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F5
Titleist T100 5-PW AMT White S300
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, 54F, 58S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2

Same here. Currently playing the Tensei Pro White and just picked up a Aldila Mamba Copperhead TX to see if any speed can be gained when maintaining the same consistency. Would love to find a Tensei Pro Orange at a reasonable price to test all 3 side by side and then stop looking at all driver and shaft options for the foreseeable future.

I am currently playing the G400 LST 8.5 lifted up to 9.5 with the Pro Orange 70TX and am very happy so far. On similar strikes it is just as long at the Rogue SZ with Oban White 70 05 but I was much more accurate and consistent with the ping Pro Orange combo.

So far this year, I've gamed the Cobra F8+, the Callaway Rogue SZ, and the Taylormade M3.

The Cobra F8+ had a PX HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0 shaft and it was a bomber. It gave me some great drives, but I was really inconsistent with it. I had a lot trouble not over drawing it and it got me into a lot of trouble. It did have a great feel off the face when struck properly.

The Callaway Rogue SZ had a PX Evenflow Blue 6.0 shaft and I played most of my golf with the weight back. I hit it further with the weight forward but I also hit some low spinning duck hooks with it set up that way that went nowhere. With the weight back it was very forgiving and had decent distance, but I could tell I was spinning it too much. It went nowhere into the wind. I think I would have hit it better with a different shaft but I also thought the driver felt a little too dead to me.

The Taylormade M3 has a PX Evenflow black 6.5 shaft and has been in the bag for four rounds now. I originally purchased it with a Tensei White Stiff shaft but I was inconsistent with that shaft so I purchased the Evenflow Black after reading good reviews. It turned this into the perfect driver for me. I hit this driver as straight as anything I've ever played but still get plenty of distance from it. The shaft seems to keep me away from my normal miss to the left. I love the adjust-ability of the M3. I can tweak the weights to get exact ball flight I'm looking for when I strike it well. It's been remarkably long on off center hits. I hit a low heel shot the other day that would have been 20 yards shorter with my older driver. I also love the feel of the ball off the face. I tried both versions of the M1 in the past and hated how it felt. This driver feels completely different. It has more of a metallic feel that I love. This driver will be in the bag for a while if it keeps performing like this.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* w/Mitsubishi Diamana GT 60S
Titleist TSR2 15* w/VA Composites Nemesys 75S
Taylormade Stealth 2 Hybrid 19* w/VA Composites Nemesys 90S
Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW w/Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist SM9 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/Project X LZ 6.0
Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

Had my fitting yesterday and the G400 and F8+ are still the best for me.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Went into the store convinced I was going to leave with an m3. The guy working there said they’ve been getting bad numbers with the new tmade stuff and suggested a ping or callaway. I ran out to my car and grabbed my rogue SZ and started hitting bombs. Went from 167-171 ball speed to 174-178. Maybe tensei orange a factor, but generally it is easier to launch my rogue SZ with less spin and more speed. Struggled with the spin and launch on m3.

Looking at the results...seems to match the OEMs marketing efforts.

We are all so predictable.

I guess but for whatever reason the club produced better numbers. After seeing Rory I was 100 percent convinced I’d be getting an M3 and moving my tensei into that. I was all ready for a high toe, new 3 wood. Everything. Sad but true.

Looking at the results...seems to match the OEMs marketing efforts.

We are all so predictable.

I guess but for whatever reason the club produced better numbers. After seeing Rory I was 100 percent convinced I’d be getting an M3 and moving my tensei into that. I was all ready for a high toe, new 3 wood. Everything. Sad but true.

Oops, I meant the poll results. This seems to match visibility in terms of marketing presence.

People tend to want what they think everybody else wants.

Not saying it's not legit but I've not seen 174 ball speed carry 330 to 360 total without other factors turned on. Was the launch monitor set downwind or high altitude?

It was set at 0 for altitude, but I have no idea about downwind. It was at a store in Phoenix which is at what 1500-2000 feet? Because of that I checked the altitude to see if they adjusted for Phoenix, but it said elevation: 0. Good call tho. I was already thinking about that. Either way... the comparison was to judge mine verses M3.. all other factors constant.

It's still the 2016 M2..

Agree. Tiger was killing it in the Bahamas. Switched to the M3 or M4 and hasn't been so good.

9.5* TaylorMade 2017 M1 HZRDUS Black 75x
15* TaylorMade 2017 M1 UST Proforce 79x
21.5* TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid Altus 85
718 AP2 4-W KBS Tour 105 S
54* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
58* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
TaylorMade Tour Spider 35"

Not saying it's not legit but I've not seen 174 ball speed carry 330 to 360 total without other factors turned on. Was the launch monitor set downwind or high altitude?

It was set at 0 for altitude, but I have no idea about downwind. It was at a store in Phoenix which is at what 1500-2000 feet? Because of that I checked the altitude to see if they adjusted for Phoenix, but it said elevation: 0. Good call tho. I was already thinking about that. Either way... the comparison was to judge mine verses M3.. all other factors constant.

Oh yeah I agree. Wasn't trying to discredit anything but was just curious. I guess its maybe possible with that launch and low spin on a knuckler but i typically see 6-10 yards less than that on trackman with similar launch conditons. 14.2 launch is great with the SZ though. I could never get it above 12 even with the weight back.

Rogue SZ was good but I just never got along with it truthfully. Didn't enjoy the feel or sound that much. Ball speed and spin was on point though. Even gamed it for a few rounds.

Our swing speeds are similar and I absolutely love the G400 Max paired with a Dual Core Kuro Kage 70TX or V3 Tensei Pro Orange 70TX. M3 is a great driver but like you I had high hopes and it didn't perform like I had expected.

G400 Max followed by Rogue SZ wins hands down for me.

Oh yeah I agree. Wasn't trying to discredit anything but was just curious. I guess its maybe possible with that launch and low spin on a knuckler but i typically see 6-10 yards less than that on trackman with similar launch conditons. 14.2 launch is great with the SZ though. I could never get it above 12 even with the weight back.

Rogue SZ was good but I just never got along with it truthfully. Didn't enjoy the feel or sound that much. Ball speed and spin was on point though. Even gamed it for a few rounds.

Our swing speeds are similar and I absolutely love the G400 Max paired with a Dual Core Kuro Kage 70TX or V3 Tensei Pro Orange 70TX. M3 is a great driver but like you I had high hopes and it didn't perform like I had expected.

No worries. I wasn’t being defensive. I actually appreciated the thought.

How’s the launch and spin with g400 max? The pings are awesome. Did you tip either of those shafts ?

No worries. I wasn’t being defensive. I actually appreciated the thought.

How’s the launch and spin with g400 max? The pings are awesome. Did you tip either of those shafts ?

.5", spins always average between 2100-2300 and my launch is between 13.5-14 and as high as 15 with 2000 spin which is great. Ball speeds were also maybe 1mph on average better than the SZ and M3.

Just seen MGS rated the LST most wanted. Their testing is always weird to me. Yards off center must be the deciding factor because the 400 max outperformed the SZ and M3 in every other category but was ranked slightly lower. Which yards off center isn't the drivers fault so who knows.

Finally got to hit the Rogue in the wild and it's a great shooter. I'm a naturally low spinning hitter I guess and the ball hit great. I'd take it over the Epic any day and would match it up against my M3, no problem. Great driver. Fun to hit. At address though, my BMW ... I mean M3, takes the cake and that's important.

I have played a few rounds with the M3 switching out shafts between the stock Tensei white 70 x-Stiff and a Motore Speeder v 6.3 tour spec stiff playing 1 inch short and a ton of range balls with each.

The problem on the range is that they are both so good for my swing that I can groove either one within a few shots. Of course when playing you don’t have that luxury....but this has been a super tough decision on what I want in the bag. I think I am going to game the Speeder. It feels so good and being shorter it gives me the confidence to go after a few more yards when I want. Because of that, total yardage seems close and I think it only has missed a couple of fairways and that was right after I proclaimed that I hadn’t missed a fairway with it yet :-).

I can see the M3 is not winning the largest number of posters but for my swing it was the easy winner. I have not played a TM club for a long time but this one is still making me smile even though I wanted a Rogue or LST to go home with me.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Spent over an hour at MOG ON trackman thinking of changing drivers or seeing if I could better my self from what I currently have. Current driver is 917d3 with with whiteboard 70X D2 with 14gram draw bias. I was still getting a little more fade than I wanted so I really wanted to see what my options were. I went through the Rogue SZ, the Mizuno GT/ST and the TM M3/M4 all with different shaft combinations settings were set to comparable of my current driver. In the end it came down to the TM M4 fade bias and my Titleist but with blue board 60X and 16gram draw bias weight with the D2 settings. My dispersion was tighter with the Titleist and distance between the two were the same. In time would using the TM4 give me the same results probably, I would probably have made a couple adjustments. In the end though it was do I spend $500 for a new driver and hope it works out or do I pay a quarter if that and get the new shaft.......I got the new shaft and couldn’t be happier right now. I did make some swing adjustments. I did pick up some swing speed and ball speed is at 158. My fitter even said he couldn’t justify trying to sell me a new driver. I consider my club fitter to be like my barber or mailman, guess I’ll have to get him a Christmas gift now.

Driver-Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Project X Evenflow White 65 X-Stiff
3W-Titleist TS3 15.75* w/Project X Evenflow white 65 X-Stiff
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 3 iron w/KBS C-Taper 130X (bent to 17.5*)
4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MBw/KBS C-Taper 130X
Mizuno T7 52/09 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
Mizuno T7 56/10 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
Bridgestone Tour B X

G400 lst

Ping G430 LST - Ping Tour 2.0 black X

Ping G430 LST 3 wood - Ping Tour 2.0 black X
Callaway Apex Pro 2 UT - Ventus black HB 10TX
Callaway Apex Pro - 4-pw - Project X LS 6.5
Callaway Jaws Raw - 50s, 54x, 58x - Project X LS 6.5

Odyssey Jailbird - white hot

Callaway Chrome Soft X / Z-Star Diamond

I have played a few rounds with the M3 switching out shafts between the stock Tensei white 70 x-Stiff and a Motore Speeder v 6.3 tour spec stiff playing 1 inch short and a ton of range balls with each.

The problem on the range is that they are both so good for my swing that I can groove either one within a few shots. Of course when playing you don't have that luxury....but this has been a super tough decision on what I want in the bag. I think I am going to game the Speeder. It feels so good and being shorter it gives me the confidence to go after a few more yards when I want. Because of that, total yardage seems close and I think it only has missed a couple of fairways and that was right after I proclaimed that I hadn't missed a fairway with it yet :-).

I can see the M3 is not winning the largest number of posters but for my swing it was the easy winner. I have not played a TM club for a long time but this one is still making me smile even though I wanted a Rogue or LST to go home with me.

I have the same issue between my G LST w KK SilverS and G400 Tour 65S. I carry both in my bag to the range and keep alternating them and cant come out with a definitive winner. Both are great, good problem I guess to have. Then I wonder about the GMAX.

• 2 weeks later...