Arnold Palmer has opinions

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting these steve; particularly the second one -- it was just as much fun with the old equipment!

It's coincidence I think that I was working on a bit of an essay yesterday on that very topic after watching a fairly large group of lady's league players tee off with 460cc drivers with very mixed results. Followed by these very same women hitting their second shots with fairway woods from the deck with considerably better effect. It was striking in how this seemed to play out for most.

The above revelation if you will was followed somewhat later by a discussion with a couple of other friends, one a retired mechanical engineer arguing that cavities, centre of gravity and the like had nothing to do with hitting a golf ball with a flat piece of metal. It didn't make a bit of difference one way or the other and was nothing more than marketing points. Jeff, a strapping 81 yr. old Englishman that still plays blades right down to a 2 iron! He had just turned down a set of sparingly played 10 yr. old Callaway clubs from his future son-in-law. What would I do with those things he exclaimed; sell them?!

This got me thinking; we know that the pros hit their 3W almost as far as their drivers now what with spring face technology, slots and the like. If you can consistently make centre contact with a smaller head, why then the need for a bigger head? Just what is being gained? It's a wonder any of us can hit a wood other than a driver at all if the prerequisite large head isn't present to minimize the impacts of misshits and yet we can with surprisingly consistent contact versus a 460 cc head which leads me to believe that the optimum head size and shaft length for a driving club could well be about 250 cc and <=44" in length, the point that was reached somewhere around the late 1990's.

When it comes to equipment design, what is real versus imagined? What is meaningful versus measurable? Maybe I'll feel different about it this evening after playing 6000+ yards even in a scramble format, but my mind still fondly wanders to that happy place where I'm playing a heritage course on a perfect day with a classic bag and not a care in the world!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 1 year later...

You know, most drugs are outperformed by placebo.

But Merc or Pfeizer makes no cash flow from placebo...

And there's the rub. You see this now in every industry on earth. Golf, phones, cars, even tools. They keep adding meaningless or redundant features, upping the cost, and convince you they've truly broken ground, or made things better, more convinient for you. Yes, not having to fish the keys out of your pocket is nice, but when youve been in the shop three times to have it worked on, how convinient is that, really? How much better would we be if we just spent the time we spend on new club fact finding and comparison on making center contact instead? How many industries are kept alive by a lie? I spent 10 years selling cars, and did damn well at it. People would ask me, while I was showing them a 70k suv, loaded with every feature imaginable, "simon, what do you drive?" Id say, "you see that beat to tell '81 F150 over there? That's mine." They'd say, "oh, can you not afford something newer?" "Well, I've got 1500 dollars invested in that truck, I've driven it every day for four years. Meanwhile, you guys are roughly $16,000 dollars upside down in your current car. Define afford." Had to leave the industry because I couldn't keep telling the lie. Now I sell 5000 and under cars and get to see people enjoy them, and use them. They haven't made a truly better product since the 65 Riviera, the Motorola star-tac, and the Wilson Staff fg-17. I shudder to think what will happen to the economy when we figure that out and refuse to keep them afloat.

And there's the rub. You see this now in every industry on earth. Golf, phones, cars, even tools. They keep adding meaningless or redundant features, upping the cost, and convince you they've truly broken ground, or made things better, more convinient for you. Yes, not having to fish the keys out of your pocket is nice, but when youve been in the shop three times to have it worked on, how convinient is that, really? How much better would we be if we just spent the time we spend on new club fact finding and comparison on making center contact instead? How many industries are kept alive by a lie? I spent 10 years selling cars, and did damn well at it. People would ask me, while I was showing them a 70k suv, loaded with every feature imaginable, "simon, what do you drive?" Id say, "you see that beat to tell '81 F150 over there? That's mine." They'd say, "oh, can you not afford something newer?" "Well, I've got 1500 dollars invested in that truck, I've driven it every day for four years. Meanwhile, you guys are roughly $16,000 dollars upside down in your current car. Define afford." Had to leave the industry because I couldn't keep telling the lie. Now I sell 5000 and under cars and get to see people enjoy them, and use them. They haven't made a truly better product since the 65 Riviera, the Motorola star-tac, and the Wilson Staff fg-17. I shudder to think what will happen to the economy when we figure that out and refuse to keep them afloat.

Going to disagree with you only minorly---- The last good cars that were made was in 69-- 69 Corvette, 69 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ, 69 Z-28 Camaro and even though I am not a Ford man the only Mustang I ever liked was the 69 Mustang either the fastback top or the short top Ghia coupe too--- I still drive a beater pick up been driving it for 10 years now-- 1996 Dodge Dakota which was the last of the square bodied ones-- Really do not have any money in it at all got it on a default deal when I was in the towing business. Actually have collected Insurance money 3 times on it where careless people have ran into it. If it lays down and I can not fix it cheap I will just crush it at the scrap yard I work at and find me another POS beater. I love beater cars and trucks. I love pulling up to some of the better courses here and the yuppies and tourists looking. Drop the tailgate at the bag drop pull out my ragged old Titleist Mini Staff with some kind of rusty blades and rusty wedges and putter. If they are staring I will say "anyone wanna gamble?' Man they leave in a heartbeat. Love banging the tailgate down to put on my golf shoes too. That is where my saying comes from "when the tailgate drops the BS stops" Got a buddy of mine that pulls the same act with a ragged oval window Ford Taurus. BTW he lives down here now but he is a product of North Charlotte too!!!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Going to disagree with you only minorly---- The last good cars that were made was in 69-- 69 Corvette, 69 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ, 69 Z-28 Camaro and even though I am not a Ford man the only Mustang I ever liked was the 69 Mustang either the fastback top or the short top Ghia coupe too--- I still drive a beater pick up been driving it for 10 years now-- 1996 Dodge Dakota which was the last of the square bodied ones-- Really do not have any money in it at all got it on a default deal when I was in the towing business. Actually have collected Insurance money 3 times on it where careless people have ran into it. If it lays down and I can not fix it cheap I will just crush it at the scrap yard I work at and find me another POS beater. I love beater cars and trucks. I love pulling up to some of the better courses here and the yuppies and tourists looking. Drop the tailgate at the bag drop pull out my ragged old Titleist Mini Staff with some kind of rusty blades and rusty wedges and putter. If they are staring I will say "anyone wanna gamble?' Man they leave in a heartbeat. Love banging the tailgate down to put on my golf shoes too. That is where my saying comes from "when the tailgate drops the BS stops" Got a buddy of mine that pulls the same act with a ragged oval window Ford Taurus. BTW he lives down here now but he is a product of North Charlotte too!!!

Stu, I said better, not faster. Those are fine pieces of American iron, to be sure, but the riv had more space for your foursome, enough trunk space for their bags, could cruise you there at 100 with no wind noise, and rides like a living room. With my back I appreciate comfort above speed, besides, if I want speed I'll hit the track, they'll give any idiot a drivers license these days and most peoples brains don't work at 120 mph while they're texting and looking for a Starbucks, lol. Love the dakota though, I have an 01 v8 I bought for 300 from a tow service, lol. It has no front bumper and the tail pipe has separated and hangs there, clanging away as I pull up to the private country club I belong to, it amuses me.

Love used cars, looking for a used caddy or lincoln now, my body hurts too much to ride in a pickup for any length of time. That being said one of the clubs i belong to,the entire parking lot is full of pick ups. In south west Virginia its just the vehicle of choice. Most guys drive them until they fall apart. I cant see North Carolina being that much different its only 45 minutes away!

I'm going to diasagree on driver size

390Cc 510tp as long as anything current ... but the new stuff is soooooo forgiving off the whole face

I also have a beater SUV with 230,000 km on it but I'm going to ask you to add Porsche 911 to your classic must drive list

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Stu, I said better, not faster. Those are fine pieces of American iron, to be sure, but the riv had more space for your foursome, enough trunk space for their bags, could cruise you there at 100 with no wind noise, and rides like a living room. With my back I appreciate comfort above speed, besides, if I want speed I'll hit the track, they'll give any idiot a drivers license these days and most peoples brains don't work at 120 mph while they're texting and looking for a Starbucks, lol. Love the dakota though, I have an 01 v8 I bought for 300 from a tow service, lol. It has no front bumper and the tail pipe has separated and hangs there, clanging away as I pull up to the private country club I belong to, it amuses me.

I had a 89 Rivieria loved that car had the 3800 motor in it. Now it was a beater too. Engine got a knock in the low end but it still ran checked the vibration damper and the bolts on the flex plate to the torque converter. Funny thing was it still held decent oil pressure. That was the last of the big ones because they downsized them in 90. I was in the wrecker business and had the Dakota never did get around to dropping the pan or putting another motor in it. Ended up selling it and a wrecked 3800 Supercharged Regal to a guy on a package deal

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

• 1 year later...

> @1ironcharlie said:

> BIG STU wrote:

>

>

> 1ironcharlie wrote:

>

>

> stevemcgee99 wrote:

>

>

>

> You know, most drugs are outperformed by placebo.

>

>

>

> But Merc or Pfeizer makes no cash flow from placebo...

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> And there's the rub. You see this now in every industry on earth. Golf, phones, cars, even tools. They keep adding meaningless or redundant features, upping the cost, and convince you they've truly broken ground, or made things better, more convinient for you. Yes, not having to fish the keys out of your pocket is nice, but when youve been in the shop three times to have it worked on, how convinient is that, really? How much better would we be if we just spent the time we spend on new club fact finding and comparison on making center contact instead? How many industries are kept alive by a lie? I spent 10 years selling cars, and did **** well at it. People would ask me, while I was showing them a 70k suv, loaded with every feature imaginable, "simon, what do you drive?" Id say, "you see that beat to tell '81 F150 over there? That's mine." They'd say, "oh, can you not afford something newer?" "Well, I've got 1500 dollars invested in that truck, I've driven it every day for four years. Meanwhile, you guys are roughly $16,000 dollars upside down in your current car. Define afford." Had to leave the industry because I couldn't keep telling the lie. Now I sell 5000 and under cars and get to see people enjoy them, and use them. They haven't made a truly better product since the 65 Riviera, the Motorola star-tac, and the Wilson Staff fg-17. I shudder to think what will happen to the economy when we figure that out and refuse to keep them afloat.

>

>

>

>

> Going to disagree with you only minorly---- The last good cars that were made was in 69-- 69 Corvette, 69 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ, 69 Z-28 Camaro and even though I am not a Ford man the only Mustang I ever liked was the 69 Mustang either the fastback top or the short top Ghia coupe too--- I still drive a beater pick up been driving it for 10 years now-- 1996 Dodge Dakota which was the last of the square bodied ones-- Really do not have any money in it at all got it on a default deal when I was in the towing business. Actually have collected Insurance money 3 times on it where careless people have ran into it. If it lays down and I can not fix it cheap I will just crush it at the scrap yard I work at and find me another POS beater. I love beater cars and trucks. I love pulling up to some of the better courses here and the yuppies and tourists looking. Drop the tailgate at the bag drop pull out my ragged old Titleist Mini Staff with some kind of rusty blades and rusty wedges and putter. If they are staring I will say "anyone wanna gamble?' Man they leave in a heartbeat. Love banging the tailgate down to put on my golf shoes too. That is where my saying comes from "when the tailgate drops the BS stops" Got a buddy of mine that pulls the same act with a ragged oval window Ford Taurus. BTW he lives down here now but he is a product of North Charlotte too!!!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Stu, I said better, not faster. Those are fine pieces of American iron, to be sure, but the riv had more space for your foursome, enough trunk space for their bags, could cruise you there at 100 with no wind noise, and rides like a living room. With my back I appreciate comfort above speed, besides, if I want speed I'll hit the track, they'll give any idiot a drivers license these days and most peoples brains don't work at 120 mph while they're texting and looking for a Starbucks, lol. Love the dakota though, I have an 01 v8 I bought for 300 from a tow service, lol. It has no front bumper and the tail pipe has separated and hangs there, clanging away as I pull up to the private country club I belong to, it amuses me.

1973-75 Eldorado !!!! 100mph and you're barely touching the gas peddle, in your living room.