2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

ANGC Course Changes ? Updated for 2021 Masters

cardoustie

We've done this topic in past years

Here's what I have ... and I am well aware I'm no Tom Fazio. Just a fun debate on perhaps one of the top 5 iconic courses in the world. It's been a few years since they did some overhauling and I think we might see changes in play for 2019 ... 13th hole for sure.

#3. Slightly forward tee - or extend current tee - so more guys would go for it. Use either Saturday or Sunday. (NOW DISAGREE for 2021)

#6. Bring back the pond and/or creek that used to front the green, re-shape and shift the front trap to get the H2O closer to the putting surface

#10. Push the massive old greenside bunker closer to the green so short shots run back down the hill into it

#11. Massive pine or trap right middle of 11 green to make bail outs more difficult. Likely trap so the fans on hole #12 grandstands can see the action. Pond used to go more in front of this green

#12. Add 10 yards ... sacrilege I know but get the big boys hitting one more iron here

#13. I understand they spent ~ $20mm for land to extend this tee back further. Personally, I don’t like the way the Rae’s Creek tributary ends in the middle of the fairway. That visual could be improved upon and dare I say another bridge pehaps

#14. Bring back the Alister MacKenzie bunkering on the right side of the fairway. Call it restoration work

#16. Find a way to add a tee 15-30 yards back

#17. Perhaps replace Ike’s tree but shift it a little left and farther off the tee

Edited by cardoustie

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

1: Get rid of the perfectly sculpted bunker edges and bring back the Alister Mackenzie jagged edge style

2: Fix 11 clear some trees on the right returning it to more of a dog leg right.

• Like 1

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I enjoyed Strange/O'Meara's takes on the recent NoLayingUp podcast. I liked the idea of shortening #7 and even making it driveable par four, even if just for one day.

I would like for them to remove the thousands of trees they've planted that destroyed the original design, width, and angles.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I agree. Many holes like #7 on both sides and the right side of #11 they added WAY WAY too many NEW loblolly pine trees .... and ruined the options of the potential for some bold Seve like recoveries and some bold tee balls over corners of dog legs

There are some "new bunkers" I don't love either when you read up on the history of all the holes at ANGC. For example, on #17 MacKenzie did not have a front trap as he wanted players to have the option to hit a running shot onto that green if necessary. So I say ... lose that trap. Running shots into the green more exciting that a boring stock bunker explosion. Bunker shots are so simple nowadays for top players

EvnRoll ER9

I enjoyed Strange/O'Meara's takes on the recent NoLayingUp podcast. I liked the idea of shortening #7 and even making it driveable par four, even if just for one day.

I would like for them to remove the thousands of trees they've planted that destroyed the original design, width, and angles.

#7 used to be 360 yards or so not too far back

I will look for that podcast

EvnRoll ER9

Nobody else has ideas on this ????? No armchair course architects?

EvnRoll ER9

Widen 7, cut down the trees on the right on 11. Get rid of any rough and cut down a bunch of trees elsewhere. Get more run out of the fws. Make it so when guys hit it offline it keeps going so the angles at ANGC really come into play, this would encourage more aggressive play which would lead to more birdies and bogeys.

The Masters are at its peak when it favors the bold, nothing worse than a Masters with a bunch of pars. I want birdies, eagles, and others. That's why I don't like 11, with the trees right the approach is so long that everyone just bails short right because they are scared to chase anything on with the mounds.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Also I would love to see in say a dozen years when Tiger has some more time on his hands for ANGC to give him and Crenshaw the reigns. Nothing against Faz I would just love to see the spin two guys with multiple jackets would put on

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Also I would love to see in say a dozen years when Tiger has some more time on his hands for ANGC to give him and Crenshaw the reigns. Nothing against Faz I would just love to see the spin two guys with multiple jackets would put on

My only concern with Crenshaw is that he would want to dig up a ton of turf and replace it with his signature sandy, wirey grass waste areas. Overall I love it, but there's a few courses where I wouldn't be able to live with it and Augusta is number one on that list.

My only concern with Crenshaw is that he would want to dig up a ton of turf and replace it with his signature sandy, wirey grass waste areas. Overall I love it, but there's a few courses where I wouldn't be able to live with it and Augusta is number one on that list.

Why would he do that? He only did that at #2 because that's what the soil conditions were/are. It's not a sand base in Augusta so he would never do that.. He would however remove a ton of trees and probably restore the character of MacKenzie's bunkering.

I get what you're saying but I don't think he'd go that way at ANGC. He did obviously at No2 but that was historically accurate with how Ross designed the course and fit the landscape. I would expect some tree removal, bunker remodling and a firming of the course from Ben but I don't think he'd go full Pinehurst because that really wasn't in ANGC history

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Why would he do that? He only did that at #2 because that's what the soil conditions were/are. It's not a sand base in Augusta so he would never do that.. He would however remove a ton of trees and probably restore the character of MacKenzie's bunkering.

Perhaps not. It just seems like every Crenshaw course I hear about is some rugged, natural, sandy design. Which like I said, I do find to be cool. Just not at Augusta.

Re-install Bermuda greens,

With them being closed all summer anyways and having sub air would this really do anything? Not being rude actually curious I've never considered that.

They could stop closing it every Summer and let their members play.. you know, the point of having a golf course. The issue is the bermuda was never fully out of domancy and there was still rye overseed. If they had bermuda greens and played in June... forget it. It would be insanely good.

With them being closed all summer anyways and having sub air would this really do anything? Not being rude actually curious I've never considered that.

They could stop closing it every Summer and let their members play.. you know, the point of having a golf course. The issue is the bermuda was never fully out of domancy and there was still rye overseed. If they had bermuda greens and played in June... forget it. It would be insanely good.

They've been closed in the summer since inception and had bermuda up until 1980 so that's not the reason. I'm sure the members are happy to summer in the Hamptons or hang out at Wade Hampton, than sweat their bag off in Augusta.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

It’s maybe the one course that should be shortened a bit, holes like 11. The risk reward element has been lost a bit.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Perhaps not. It just seems like every Crenshaw course I hear about is some rugged, natural, sandy design. Which like I said, I do find to be cool. Just not at Augusta.

My guess is if C&C got carte blanche to work on Augusta, the restoration would be reminiscent of their work at Old Town, with a little less tall fescue..

I think they could do it. Their greens have HVAC systems under them. They control temp and moisture. They make the flowers bloom with them, why not Bermuda?

If not, make em speedy (which they really do not seem to be as much anymore) and try some new pin locations. Same spot on same day every year. At least it seems that way.

Would love to see it shortened a bit, remove trees, make 11 an interesting hole again (shorten it, like someone mentioned put a bunker right to make the bail out harder), I would want to see a committee of O'Meara, Crenshaw, and Woods head the overhaul. Would be amazing. They'd do it justice.

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

Coore and Crenshaw ... yes sir !!!!!!

Any design changes that will free guys up to be bolder ... ie thinning trees .. has my vote

EvnRoll ER9

They'll never touch the MacKenzie on #10. That's a pipe dream sir.. it's the only original bunker left on the course.

They'll never touch the MacKenzie on #10. That's a pipe dream sir.. it's the only original bunker left on the course.

The thing is that was a green side trap in design ... so move it up to left and front of green.

With today's tech and their billions they can recreate it exactly and have it be beside the green as AM intended. It's pretty but it's not in play at all

Fazio does good stuff but he's not a restoration guy and maybe now with Ridley at the helm it could shift that way !

I think their changes to date are overall focused on adding yardage ... which is ok .. but not while also pinching everything in

EvnRoll ER9

• cardoustie changed the title to ANGC Course Changes ? Updated for 2021 Masters