2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Chasing the elusive eagle...

cmdrkean

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had three and remember all three, two on par fives. Els club in Dubai and mimosa in Clark Philippines for par 5’s. Then holed a 120 yard gap wedge at the old scga course in murrieta California.

Also want to note an almost hole in one at eagle glen in corona on th short uphill par 4. Hit my driver to about three feet and missed the fricking eagle putt!

First eagle of the year last Saturday. Very nice drive, hybrid to about 2 feet made the putt. Missed the double eagle by 2 inches.

Out of interest, why do Americans call it a double eagle rather than an Albatross? A double eagle (i.e. 2 time 2 under) is a 4 under score. You don't call an eagle a double birdie after all.....

Our of respect, I save the term albatross for Mrs. Pelz's mother

After getting back in the game after a 20 year layoff I thought I would never make an eagle. It took me probably 6 years before I made one and the second one came shortly there after, both on par 5's. I went on another cold streak before I holed out from the fairway on a par 4. Played an afternoon round today and got off to a slow start but then started hitting my irons well. I hit a bad tee shot on a par 5 that was short and not in the fairway. There was a good opening in in a group of trees and I was able to hit a good shot that left me 122 to the flag. Hit a gap wedge (U) that landed just past the hole and spun back in for the first eagle of the year. Had another chance at eagle with a lengthy putt but came up really short. Thankfully I made the birdie.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

I got my first two seasons ago after playing for about 8 seasons, and it was terribly anti-climatic. Pushed my drive on a par 5 into some pine tress and had to play out laterally into the fairway. Holed out from 196 yards with a 5i, but naturally didn't see it go in. When we finally got to the green, we searched high and low around the green. After four or five minutes of searching, one of the guys checking in the cup and sure enough, there it was.

I've since gotten three more and there's only one par 5 left on my home course that I've yet to eagle.

The few I've had can mostly be chalked up to luck. Obviously, holing out from 195 is a case of luck. The other three eagles I've had I left myself very short putts...3ft out from 216 with a 3h, a kick-in from 182 with a 6i...that kind of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I played yesterday and had a really bad round. Shot a 93 with a record number of double bogeys. I did have 2 holes that made the whole round worthwhile. On the second par 5 I absolutely flushed a drive and got some good roll out on the hard fairway. Had 158 left to the flag. Hit a pure 8 iron that tracked for the flag. Got to the green and it was a foot from the hole. Of the 5 eagles I have had, this was only the second one that was a putt. One chip in and two hole outs from over 100 yards. Seems I generally have to rely on luck rather than skill.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

After 7 years of play and consistently being a 5 handicap or lower from basically the start (broke 80 first calendar year of playing) i made my first eagle that wasn’t a putt last weekend.

Short par 4, had 82 yards in and hit a low 2 skip 54* wedge and in! Very anticlimactic and In route to a 78, so it wasn’t the best day leading up to it lol

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

• 1 month later...

I've had maybe 5-6 in over 25 years but got my 1st eagle for 2018 on my 1st time golfing this year. What a terrific way to start. It was on a short par 4 320 yds. than a PW chip for 20 yds. in the cup.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Ate dinner with a guy crowing about his first eagle. He holded out from 140 on a par 5. He thought it was amazing, one of a kind. It was really cute. Wife unit looked at Pearsall and...he knew he had to go along with the wanker’s excitement...man we had a hoot of a laugh on the way home. Like he said, it was really cute.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

2 in the last month - one on a par 5 that i hit in two and made a bomb, the other on a short par 4 from inside 80y.

they aren't a normal thing - but the more you put pressure on making one, the harder they are to come by.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

I would say I've made about 10-12 over my 20+ years of playing.

Advice - as elusive as the "eagle" maybe......I've cost myself more birdies trying to make the eagle than making the eagle itself. Meaning? I would lag it close to make sure you have an easy birdie. Might not be what you want to hear but I think it is great advice. Really, I can't count how many times I've 3 putted for par on a par 5 trying to force the eagle!

Cobra LTDx LS (10.5°)

Titleist TS2 (15°)

TaylorMade r9 (19°)

Cleveland 588 MB (4-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM8 (52° & 58°)

Odyssey Black #2m CS

I have 3 of them. All 3 of them were hole outs on the 2nd shot on a par 4. I am still chasing the elusive eagle that was actually made with my putter. Or that elusive par 3 eagle.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Had my first eagle this year. Was a par 5 that played 445 to the flag, which was on the back of the green. Hit a beautiful drive off the tee, probably my best drive of the year. Was walking up to my ball when it dawned on me that it was a par 5 and I was inside the 200 marker. I look over to my buddy who outdrove me by about 10 yards and tell him I have never had an eagle. Pulled out my range finder and see I have 190 to a slightly uphill green. Grabbed my 4 hybrid and stuck it pin high, six feet left. Made the putt shaking and all.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Had my first eagle this year. Was a par 5 that played 445 to the flag, which was on the back of the green. Hit a beautiful drive off the tee, probably my best drive of the year. Was walking up to my ball when it dawned on me that it was a par 5 and I was inside the 200 marker. I look over to my buddy who outdrove me by about 10 yards and tell him I have never had an eagle. Pulled out my range finder and see I have 190 to a slightly uphill green. Grabbed my 4 hybrid and stuck it pin high, six feet left. Made the putt shaking and all.

My only one that was a putt on a Par 5 (as opposed to holeing out a wedge or irons shot) was the exact opposite. I was playing a match against a friend. He drove first and I hit my drive right beside him on the fairway. He hit his approach about 10 feet past the hole then I hit mine a foot or so inside it on the same line. He played his to break and it lipped out on the high side. I aimed mine inside the cup and went in.

I was so pumped up chattering about how I had one-upped him on each shot that I lost track of the fact it was an eagle until he congratulated me. He probably thought I was being silly because he usually hit a couple Par 5 greens in two every round. I do it maybe once a year, if that.

Finally had my first ever Eagle yesterday, on the 541 yard par 5, 5th hole at Tadmarton Heath. Driver in to the right semi, followed by a 3 Hybrid to about 15 ft (both wind assisted) and sunk the putt. Feels like a massive relief to get one, if just to shut my friends up!

Of course, then hit a massive cut OB on the next drive!

Hole in one next.......

• 2 weeks later...

A guy in my foursome yesterday was having the balls striking day of his life. Even hybrids and fairway wood were right at the flag all day. He landed one iron shot about an inch from the cup, had another finish up less than a foot away and caught some lip with two different shots as they rolled by. I think he made four birdies (and missed one 3-1/2 foot birdie opportunity) and shot around par, playing off a 7 HCP. Fun to watch.

After one of those near hole-outs I said, “Dammit man, you just can’t seem to BUY an Eagle today”. He didn’t seem to be complaining much.

Played with my dad and brother yesterday in Chillicothe, MO. 500 yard Par 5. 265/270 yard drive up the right hand side of the fairway. Just over 200 yards to a hole down the hill. Pulled 5 iron and played a baby fade bouncing on to the right hand side of the green with a 25/30' putt. Couple feet of right to left break and slightly down hill slightly underjudged the break but perfect speed, tap in birdie :boredom:

Then, last night I walked 8 holes before dark at my home course. 326 yard par 4 dogleg left. Continued to struggle with high fade drivers and put one in the rough about 5-7 yards right of the fairway. About 110 to green center, choked down ever so slightly on a PW and swung smooth. Easily one of my best shots of the day. I usually play a baby fade with my irons and at first I didn't think it was going to turn and I would be left with a long birdie putt. But it pulled over just at the apex, divot two feet left of the hole and could see the roll line through the evenings watering just across the rim, and I still two putt parred :angry22: :angry22: . Haven't ever come close before and I almost knock two in a matter of about 5 hours? Golf is strange lol

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

Had a few, all were on Par 5's that I got on in two.

Haven't dunked a 2nd shot on Par 4 yet.

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

I thought my first eagle would require 3 perfect shots, but the one I have under my belt really only required one. I hit my tee shot well on a par 5 but pulled it into the woods. I thought I'd be pitching out onto the fairway as I walked up to it, but realized when I got there that there was kind of an alley in the trees that pointed directly to the green. I decided to hit a really low shot with my 3 wood, expecting/hoping to make it up and out of the alley, settling about 40 yards short of the green. Well, I struck a beautiful low scorcher (an accidental stinger, really) that didn't so much as touch a leaf as it cleared the alley, hit some hard ground and rolled all the way onto the green where a gentleman was putting. I was astonished; I didn't think there was a chance in hell I'd reach the green. After apologizing to the guy who was putting (he said it was a great shot and don't worry about it), I walked up to a 9 footer and sank it. Made my day.