Bridgestone Tour B Golf Ball Reviews?

FAbb

For those worried about the XS having too much side spin or left to right movement, I played the other day in 55* weather with about 6-10 mph of wind. I was also a bit worried about it as I normally have a bit of a fade or cut and thought it may exaggerate that and be too much but that was not the case at all, not one shot faded or cut anymore than normal. It was honestly pretty straight which is what I strive for. As far as wind performance, like I said it was anywhere for 6-10 mph which is not much, but for what it's worth I did not notice anything and seemed to perform the same into what wind there was as the z star.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think as long as you are not already a high spin player, the XS will be fine for you and you will not see any negative consequences of spin. If you are a high spin player, of course a high spin ball is probably not best. The X has plenty of spin to stop and stay in the air, unless you are a super low spin guy with a low to moderate swing speed.

I've had the opportunity to test these balls further in warmer (and windy) conditions - 65-70* with a 5 mph breeze and 15 mph gusts. Both feel good off every club, with the XS feeling slightly softer.

The XS is too spinny for me off every club, except the putter :derisive: . The wind ate it up on every drive and iron shot, into the wind and crosswind.

The X was better and spins less, making it more manageable for me. It was better than the XS in the wind, but not as good as the XV or CSX18.

How would you compare these to the csX you play?

i am playing csX and strongly considering these - thanks

Just in case anyone who used to play the Nike RZN Tour Black's like myself, I have fallen in love with the Tour BX ball. Flight seems very similar, consistent distances. Obvisouly doesn't hold up as well into the wind as that flight suit used to, but damn this ball is good.

I've played the TP5x, ZStarXV, ProV1/x, and this years Tour B X ball is absolutely my top pick. Who am I though right? I normally play the extra spin balls, but the Tour B X seemed to be the better option for me. Purchased a dozen of both the Tour BX and Tour BXS, and I just liked the flight of and feel of the Tour BX. To be honest, it feels like the RZN Tour platinum more than the black, but both were absolutely top tier balls. I don't crush the ball, my swing speed tops out at about 115 on great days, normally stays just upwards of 110. Just highly suggesting others to give this ball a shot.

On top of that, I absolutely love the minimalist B logo. I think the less on the ball the better.

I've had the opportunity to test these balls further in warmer (and windy) conditions - 65-70* with a 5 mph breeze and 15 mph gusts. Both feel good off every club, with the XS feeling slightly softer.

The XS is too spinny for me off every club, except the putter :derisive: . The wind ate it up on every drive and iron shot, into the wind and crosswind.

The X was better and spins less, making it more manageable for me. It was better than the XS in the wind, but not as good as the XV or CSX18.

How would you compare these to the csX you play?

i am playing csX and strongly considering these - thanks

I haven’t done a direct comparison yet. I hoping to do some testing tomorrow, so I’ll hit the CSX and the BX side by side.

So far the 2018 CSX is my favorite ball this year.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I have been a big fan of the B330S for the last couple of years. Was excited when the new Tour series came out. In January I was in a small local golf shop with 3 guys that work there and 3 customers...all hard core golf guys. Based on the box, we couldn't agree on which new ball would play closest to the B330S. I ended up going with the owner's reco of the XS...albeit still a bit confused.

What I care most about in a ball is how the ball reacts to the green on full shots and chips/pitches. I typically play for the ball to stop on a dime or come back a bit...but never release out 3-5 yards.

Played a round with the new XS as soon as I got them in January. Hated em. Couldn't get them to stop. Seemed that they went a bit further too, which had my numbers off. Left the rest in my trunk for a few months until this morning. Same thing. Some huge hops forward on approaches, some dribbling release outs that were 7-8 yards...well out of makable putt range for me. The X is supposed to have even less greenside spin so that wont work either. So I will either be hoarding old B330S balls or looking for a new ball soon. Have had some good experiences with Vice Pro Plus and TP5. Or maybe I go back to paying the Titleist tax per dozen. I'm not sure what Bridgestone was trying to accomplish here. I stopped playing Callaway balls because I didn't want to learn a new ball every 12 months.

I’m so confused. The box says that the xs is for distance, but it seems like it’s the spinnier one of the two which usually means less distance off the tee. So which one is the equivalent of the prov1x and rzn black??

VPR Strike Driver, MRC Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
VPR Strike 3 Wood, MRC Tensei CK Pro White 80TX
2011 VR Pro Combo 3-PW, DG AMT X100
Vokey SM7 52F 58K 62M
2012 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Nike RZN Black

Ignore the box. As I posted previously it seems they were afraid to differentiate the balls too much almost as if to not turn any one person off to either of the balls, very stupid but is what it is. These balls are too good to get caught up in that.

B330S = Tour B XS

Same make up as the B330S, meant to do the same things, just made them feel a bit softer. They mention distance so the higher spin ball isn't looked upon as the shorter ball. They did claim some distance gains for each model over previous versions but so does everyone every year.

B330 = Tour B X

Again same ball as B330 with a touch more green side spin than the B330 and slightly softer feel. Mentioned feel as to not say that the firmer ball, which it is, doesn't feel soft.

CBH

I totally disagree with you on the spin. It is the same cover and they actually made the cover itself softer to increase spin, I don't necessarily notice better spin but it 100% spins at least as much as the B330S if not more. A member on here did a pitch and chip shot test with different balls, it's in its own thread on here somewhere. He compared ProV/X B330S among others and then added the new tour b line also and the XS had more spin than any other ball in the test including the B330S. Granted it wasn't drastically more but it was more and before that the B330S was the winner. This was done with a launch monitor. All the premium balls are pretty close with the XS just ahead by a few hundred RPM which is also what I've found on course. So I'm going to go ahead and say it was

a) course conditions(big hops forward) or down wind shots

b) a more worn wedge than previously used

c) you are just off with your ball striking or technique or

d) your attack angle or swing speed or both were slightly different than before

Most likely is option A but could be a bit of the others as well. Did not hear you mention what happened with other balls you know on that particular day or even the B330S you played before. If you only played the XS that day other than maybe a few shots with another ball then it is impossible to tell what the issue is but promise you from my experiences it is not the ball, they are definitely high spin.

I would love to see you take some B330S and an XS sharpie out the logos and test again and tell me you see the difference because I've seen equal or more spin on the new model. Why complain about added distance? How can 5 yards or so more be bad? Adjust and enjoy. I've noticed a definite distance advantage over the 17 chrome soft and chrome soft x with the XS and this is over the course of 15+ rounds playing both side by side.

What SS & spin number do you guys typically see with your Prov1/X's compared to the Bx/XS?

I'm a +2, in the 118-120 range, prefer to spin it 2400-2600 range. I don't like the ultra low spinning driver numbers ( more spin = better misses for me).

I switched last year from playing the ProVx to the V1 for more spin around the greens and I have my eye on the BXS. I want those short/half/partial shots to really grab.

Haven't found anywhere near me yet where I can just buy a sleeve of each (BX/XS) to test out.

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

What SS & spin number do you guys typically see with your Prov1/X's compared to the Bx/XS?

I'm a +2, in the 118-120 range, prefer to spin it 2400-2600 range. I don't like the ultra low spinning driver numbers ( more spin = better misses for me).

I switched last year from playing the ProVx to the V1 for more spin around the greens and I have my eye on the BXS. I want those short/half/partial shots to really grab.

Haven't found anywhere near me yet where I can just buy a sleeve of each (BX/XS) to test out.

I think attack angle will have way more effect than a ball. If you know your attack angle and can find someone with the same then maybe you can get an accurate comparison

Used these for the first time on Saturday morning. The BXS on the front 9, and the BX on the back 9. Much preferred the BX in terms of performance, and preferred the BXS slightly in terms of feel.

The biggest downside was the durability (or lack thereof). I haven’t shredded a ball for a number of years, since the groove rules changed, but these really didn’t like anything from a PW downwards.

The boxes are so confusing. I’d assumed that the BX would we the equivalent of the B330, and the BXS the equivalent of the B330S, but the specs on the back of the box make it sounds the opposite. The BX certainly felt harder and less spinny, so perhaps it’s a printing error?

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Used these for the first time on Saturday morning. The BXS on the front 9, and the BX on the back 9. Much preferred the BX in terms of performance, and preferred the BXS slightly in terms of feel.

The biggest downside was the durability (or lack thereof). I haven’t shredded a ball for a number of years, since the groove rules changed, but these really didn’t like anything from a PW downwards.

The boxes are so confusing. I’d assumed that the BX would we the equivalent of the B330, and the BXS the equivalent of the B330S, but the specs on the back of the box make it sounds the opposite. The BX certainly felt harder and less spinny, so perhaps it’s a printing error?

I'll 2nd the cover not being durable. First time I've switched out a ball after 9 holes in a long time because of the cover.

I played the B XS on Tuesday for the first time and absolutely loved the ball. It was low 50's and windy 10-15 with gusts and this ball performed excellently. Distances seemed to be up a bit with the driver and consistent to what I see with other balls with the irons. Performed really well in the wind as well. The balls is soft without feeling cheap or plasticy which is my complaint about the new CSX. Hit a putt with a ProV1x and it honestly felt like a range ball in comparison, I was shocked! The greens I played on were firm and I am playing a course this weekend which typically has softer greens so I am interested in seeing how they perform there. I bought two boxes of the XS on the 2 for $70 deal but am thinking about taking a box back for the X just to compare. I am a higher swing speed generally hiher spin player but feel my spin numbers have come down a bit due to some swing mods.

Ill tell you first hole out of the gate is a 507 yard par 5, wind was 10 -15 dead off of the right. I played a cut down the left side of the fairway and it didnt actually cut as much as I thought it would given the wind ( I play a cut). Ball was inched from its pitch mark and I lasered back to the tee box, 292. had 235 left to the pin, hit a high cut 5w that landed pin high and rolled out a bit to the back of the green. Im not saying another ball wouldnt have done that but thats all I will ever need and I like the way the ball feels. Didnt have an issue with durability.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some good weather to play the B RXS. I found it VERY similar to the previous. Maybe a bit longer, like 2-3 yards tops with the driver (I am around 100mph and not a ton of spin). Irons and wedges I didn't notice any difference in distance, and maybe just the slightest more spin around the greens (I am not a huge spin guy with irons or wedges, I am all control all the time).

I have seen some mentions in this thread about durability being not great, but that was not my experience. I played a ball 36 holes without any issue. For a urethane ball that is all I can ask.

If you liked last year's model I can see taking the savings and sticking with it. If you jumped on the 2/$70 deal you should not be shocked, as it played how I expected coming from the previous version.

Finally got some good weather to play the B RXS. I found it VERY similar to the previous. Maybe a bit longer, like 2-3 yards tops with the driver (I am around 100mph and not a ton of spin). Irons and wedges I didn't notice any difference in distance, and maybe just the slightest more spin around the greens (I am not a huge spin guy with irons or wedges, I am all control all the time).

I have seen some mentions in this thread about durability being not great, but that was not my experience. I played a ball 36 holes without any issue. For a urethane ball that is all I can ask.

If you liked last year's model I can see taking the savings and sticking with it. If you jumped on the 2/$70 deal you should not be shocked, as it played how I expected coming from the previous version.

I agree with this post completely. There isn't much difference between the two and would honestly just stock up on the deal.

I played a round on Sat with with B330S and RXS balls. I used one each the entire round and would just play whichever came out of the pocket first. There wasn't any distance difference that I saw on any of my shots. What I did notice is that they spun really well around the greens.

All my approach shots would just check and stop dead in it's tracks. Didn't matter if it was a SW or 5i into the green. Pitch and chip shots would have a consistent roll out which I really liked. I tried out the TP5 a few weeks ago and didn't have this type of performance around the greens. It seemed to be a better ball for longer shots though.

i will simply say that i really liked the XS. i played an entire round with one ball. I got the distance i expected, it was soft and spun good. What more could you want? great ball.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I really like the Tour B X so far. It's a great combo of distance, spin and feel. It's pretty stable in the wind and performs well around the greens. I'm still surprised at how much spin I get off the wedges and short irons with it. It's a great ball.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

I really like the Tour B X so far. It's a great combo of distance, spin and feel. It's pretty stable in the wind and performs well around the greens. I'm still surprised at how much spin I get off the wedges and short irons with it. It's a great ball.

Agree with this

I thought I was sold on the 2018 CS-X....but this B X has stolen the show for me I think - Straighter...as long or longer, same or better spin off irons and wedges, softer off putter

case closed

really love the tour bx. loved the b330 and this ball is def just as good. got a 2 for 70 deal. at golfballs.com

Same. I was a B330 guy but the Tour Bs are awesome and reasonably priced at that.

Ping G430 LST 9* (Ventus TR Red 6X)

Ping G430 Max 3W (Ventus Blue 7X)

TM Qi10 5W (KBS TD70X)

TM P770 4-5i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MC 6-8i (KBS Tour X)

TM P7MB 9i-PW (KBS Tour X)

TM MG4 Copper 50/55/60 (KBS $-Taper 120 Black)

Spider Tour X Single Bend (BGT Stability)

I played this morning and tried out the bxs “tiger” edition ball. I doubt this is anywhere near the same ball he uses but oh well lol wanted to try it. Anyways the ball flight is perfect off the tee nice mid flight. I tried the tp5x and hated it off the driver and irons. What I really really liked about the ball was the spin on those 100 yards and in shots. I felt like I can really control the spin and it was super consistent. Off the putter face to me was a little clicky but I am a big fan of it. All in all I think this will be my go to ball now. I tried the 2018 chromesoft x also and felt like I spun it too much. I don’t know if it’s becuase of the tour vokeys but I couldn’t handle the spin.

I played this morning and tried out the bxs "tiger" edition ball. I doubt this is anywhere near the same ball he uses but oh well lol wanted to try it. Anyways the ball flight is perfect off the tee nice mid flight. I tried the tp5x and hated it off the driver and irons. What I really really liked about the ball was the spin on those 100 yards and in shots. I felt like I can really control the spin and it was super consistent. Off the putter face to me was a little clicky but I am a big fan of it. All in all I think this will be my go to ball now. I tried the 2018 chromesoft x also and felt like I spun it too much. I don't know if it's becuase of the tour vokeys but I couldn't handle the spin.

It is the same exact ball. There's another thread somewhere that says the XS is actually the ball he plays but they're selling the "Tiger" edition to give $5 to his foundation.

• 5 months later...

Bumping an old thread because I’ve never really used Bridgestones and everyone raves about them so thought I would give them a try. After researching online and reading this thread...I have absolutely no clue what the differences in these models are or which I should hit. Grabbed a dozen B XS to give them a try. I’m a low handicap (4) with a low swing speed (roughly 98-102) with the driver. Ball speed around 140-144.

Their “ball-fitter” thingie on the website said to try the BXS so I am giving them a try. Will report back. Right now, I’ve been playing Chrome Soft. I’ve also dabbled around with the Snell MTB Black. Will see what I can find out. Any thoughts out there, folks?

I won a free 12-ball pack recently at my club, and decided that I would give Bridgestone a try since I would never buy them (V1 is my ball...plain and simple).

Anyway, tried to figure out which one of the Bridgestone balls was lower compression but higher short-game spin (like V1 or Z-star). I couldn't figure it out based on their descriptions, which is very stupid on their part IMO. Anyway, went with the B XS because that is ETW's ball, and because a friend of mine said he liked it the other day.

Played them yesterday and overall liked them a lot. For context, my main concerns with a ball are (1) good feel off putter and wedges...softer compression, and (2) short-game spin. If it won't check on a pitch for me, I won't like it. I couldn't care much less about driver distance...I just don't want the ball to balloon off my driver.

I got the perfect chance to try the B XS out with one particular shot yesterday. Had about 30 yards to a back-right pin (missed green short and right). I could have played a chip, or bump and run, except I would have flirted with the fringe too much and the contour of the green would have sent the shot away from the hole anyway. So I needed to hit the ball close to the pin and have it check up. So I did just that, hit it perfect just left of the flag, took one bounce and checked up exactly pin high. Made the 4 footer for par. That was enough to tell me that this ball could be a contender. It also performed really well on 120yd and in pitches / wedges.

Summary...the B XS is a contender.