Speed without yanking the handle?

ebrasmus21

ebrasmus21, following this with interest. I've experienced a similar rise in my handicap, although judging by your videos I'm QUITE a bit older than you (will be 60 in May). My slump occurred over a longer period than yours (probably the last 5 years) & at least part of it I'm guessing is due to not doing enough exercise to maintain my strength & flexibility as I've gotten older. But I know a significant part is my swing is just not as solid as it once was. Hoping your success will inspire me to not just accept where I am now.

A word of caution: I would suggest taking any swing advice here, whether solicited or unsolicited, with a grain of salt & check with your instructor before implementing it. You have a highly qualified instructor who has her own ideas about what you should be doing & it sounds like they are working. There are some posters here who are perfectly qualified to offer suggestions & there are a lot who, while well-intentioned, are not. Funny how what they think you should be working on is exactly what they are working on themselves. I am in the second category so if I ever offer suggestions, please ignore me!

ebrasmus21, following this with interest. I've experienced a similar rise in my handicap, although judging by your videos I'm QUITE a bit older than you (will be 60 in May). My slump occurred over a longer period than yours (probably the last 5 years) & at least part of it I'm guessing is due to not doing enough exercise to maintain my strength & flexibility as I've gotten older. But I know a significant part is my swing is just not as solid as it once was. Hoping your success will inspire me to not just accept where I am now.

A word of caution: I would suggest taking any swing advice here, whether solicited or unsolicited, with a grain of salt & check with your instructor before implementing it. You have a highly qualified instructor who has her own ideas about what you should be doing & it sounds like they are working. There are some posters here who are perfectly qualified to offer suggestions & there are a lot who, while well-intentioned, are not. Funny how what they think you should be working on is exactly what they are working on themselves. I am in the second category so if I ever offer suggestions, please ignore me!

Thanks Jon, I hope something in this thread will help or encourage you in your own game.

Ah yes, it seems your suspicion is correct about our age difference. I’m still in my twenties for the moment but only just ;)

Where my game stands right now and what I’m up to at the moment:

- chipping and pitching is taking up about 80% of my last few practice sessions

- other 20% I’ve been hitting drivers

- the above two areas I feel I can improve significantly so I’m more than happy to spend time practicing

- my new chipping action with little to no hand action has me greatly encouraged. Will I ever be a high level short game player? Not sure I could say that but I think the change in technique will greatly increase the skill and touch for my game

- things aren’t all roses. I’ve had a number of practice sessions where I suck and hit the ball like crap.

- since starting lessons I’d say I’m hitting about 500 balls a week minimum each week. Probably more like at least 500 on Saturday/Sunday and then another several hundred during week days

- shortgame practice is hitting into greens and giving myself different shots and different looks at the pin

That’s pretty much where I’m at right now. I have another lesson at the end of the month and then after that I’d like to go through a club fitting since my posture and address position have changed so much.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Just keep at it. You seem like a good guy and a hard worker who sincerely wants to get better. Just curious, what do you hit your average drive? Also what kind of irons and woods are you using? You may have covered this already and if so I apologize. One other thing I was curious about is if you plan on entering tournaments at some point or are you mainly looking to play with your buddies. Keep the posts coming.

Good luck to you! Swing looks more like scratch than an 11.

Thanks for the kind words but if I almost killed you by way of shanking one at your cranium I doubt you'd be so nice about it. Just flat out gave up on a couple rounds during the fall because I could hardly get the ball air born.

I got talked into a tournament a few years ago by a good friend of mine. I hadn't been playing much and he was the only person I knew at this thing. He made it seem like the kind of tournament where we would be in the same group, but when I showed up, I was paired with 3 guys I've never met. My game was in no shape to withstand that kind of pressure. I shanked every iron on the range warming up and preceded to shank every iron I pulled out of my bag during the round. I finished the last few holes going 3w/hybrid off the tee so I would have a hybrid approach. It was mortifying. I've never been so embarrassed in my entire life. I bought my group a pitcher of beer after the round to apologize for them having to watch that horror. I get flush just thinking about it :shok:

Thanks for the kind words but if I almost killed you by way of shanking one at your cranium I doubt you'd be so nice about it. Just flat out gave up on a couple rounds during the fall because I could hardly get the ball air born.

Move all the change from your right pocket to your left pocket....

I do the same, but with my dip. Amazingly sometimes it works! haha

Thanks Jon, I hope something in this thread will help or encourage you in your own game.

Ah yes, it seems your suspicion is correct about our age difference. I'm still in my twenties for the moment but only just ;)

Where my game stands right now and what I'm up to at the moment:

- other 20% I've been hitting drivers

- the above two areas I feel I can improve significantly so I'm more than happy to spend time practicing

- my new chipping action with little to no hand action has me greatly encouraged. Will I ever be a high level short game player? Not sure I could say that but I think the change in technique will greatly increase the skill and touch for my game

- things aren't all roses. I've had a number of practice sessions where I suck and hit the ball like crap.

- since starting lessons I'd say I'm hitting about 500 balls a week minimum each week. Probably more like at least 500 on Saturday/Sunday and then another several hundred during week days

- shortgame practice is hitting into greens and giving myself different shots and different looks at the pin

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. I have another lesson at the end of the month and then after that I'd like to go through a club fitting since my posture and address position have changed so much.

Very honest and open. Very refreshing. your positive/realistic/introspective attitude is better than 90% of students out there and is the difference between large longterm gains versus short term gains then plateauing and frustration and eventually abandonig new methods.

I bolded the part that you should be encouraged with. you can absolutely be a high level short game player. The key is always contact. If less wrist hinge quieter hands give you that then go with it.whatever works 7/10 times when you practice is the way to go. As a visual picture Stricker or Days motion when chipping and pitching. Not everbody is bold like Phil or Tiger. Rorys action this past weekend was very basic back and through with very little hinge.

Im impressed with the sheer amount of balls youre hitting. Remember its quality not quantity. if you find youreself getting tired and not being able to maintain consistent posture its time for a break!

Keep up the great work and thanks for taking the time to share with the rest of us.Were all rooting for you!!

PS you have some Kevin Chappell and Chris Kirk in your latest driver swing

Just keep at it. You seem like a good guy and a hard worker who sincerely wants to get better. Just curious, what do you hit your average drive? Also what kind of irons and woods are you using? You may have covered this already and if so I apologize. One other thing I was curious about is if you plan on entering tournaments at some point or are you mainly looking to play with your buddies. Keep the posts coming.

Hey Jack -

thanks for your encouragement in this thread so far, I appreciate your responses.

As for your questions:

1. Average Drive for me needs to be around 290 minimum. I'm very fortunate to have the club-head speed that I do it will be nice to hopefully swing freely again like I used to. I can swing in the low 120mph range with my driver so I've hit some respectable drives before :) All that being said the driver swing needs some serious work because right now its an inconsistent mess.
  2. Irons right now are Yururi Flat Backs (blades). I should have my head examined for ever getting such a demanding club. After I go through my next club-fitting I'll likely be changing it up. I have my eye on the MP 18 MMC's. I have a Cobra F7+ driver and an old G15 Ping 3 wood that needs to be replaced at some point
  3. Tournaments - yes maybe. It's not something I've ever really done before so at some point I think it'd be fun to try a few just to see if I find any enjoyment from tournament play. By and large I think I'll mostly be playing weekend golf with my buddies.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Ah yes, it seems your suspicion is correct about our age difference. I'm still in my twenties for the moment but only just ;)

- the above two areas I feel I can improve significantly so I'm more than happy to spend time practicing

- things aren't all roses. I've had a number of practice sessions where I suck and hit the ball like crap.

- since starting lessons I'd say I'm hitting about 500 balls a week minimum each week. Probably more like at least 500 on Saturday/Sunday and then another several hundred during week days

That's pretty much where I'm at right now. I have another lesson at the end of the month and then after that I'd like to go through a club fitting since my posture and address position have changed so much.

Very honest and open. Very refreshing. your positive/realistic/introspective attitude is better than 90% of students out there and is the difference between large longterm gains versus short term gains then plateauing and frustration and eventually abandonig new methods.

I bolded the part that you should be encouraged with. you can absolutely be a high level short game player. The key is always contact. If less wrist hinge quieter hands give you that then go with it.whatever works 7/10 times when you practice is the way to go. As a visual picture Stricker or Days motion when chipping and pitching. Not everbody is bold like Phil or Tiger. Rorys action this past weekend was very basic back and through with very little hinge.

Im impressed with the sheer amount of balls youre hitting. Remember its quality not quantity. if you find youreself getting tired and not being able to maintain consistent posture its time for a break!

Keep up the great work and thanks for taking the time to share with the rest of us.Were all rooting for you!!

Thanks LowHeel!

Totally agree with your comments about quality vs quantity. I'm mindful of this and usually only hit about 150 balls at any given session before calling it quits or taking an extended break. The past few weeks we've had some nice weather so it's been easy to go out after work and get 2 hours of work in 3 or 4 times a week. I have no interest in trying to bash 3 or 4 hundred balls in one sitting, no thanks to that.

Chipping, yes, I might be onto something here. I always thought Stricker's action was so strange looking but now I'm thinking he's been a genius all along. My action was the opposite of his until now.

When my instructor talked me though how she teaches chipping and had me get set up I was thinking "are you serious? I can't hit the ball like this" but sure enough during that first time trying it I was finding the center of the club. My subsequent practice sessions I've also found the center of the club more often than not. Goes to show how wrong I was! I'm not used to striking my chips like this so I'm noticing that most of mine right now are going long. Hitting it in the center is a welcome change.

Last thing about chipping... It's kind of amazing how high one can hit the ball without hand action. Definitely wasn't expecting that.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Move all the change from your right pocket to your left pocket....

I do the same, but with my dip. Amazingly sometimes it works! haha

You mean your can of dip, I hope. Otherwise it could get messy.

Thanks LowHeel!

Totally agree with your comments about quality vs quantity. I'm mindful of this and usually only hit about 150 balls at any given session before calling it quits or taking an extended break. The past few weeks we've had some nice weather so it's been easy to go out after work and get 2 hours of work in 3 or 4 times a week. I have no interest in trying to bash 3 or 4 hundred balls in one sitting, no thanks to that.

Chipping, yes, I might be onto something here. I always thought Stricker's action was so strange looking but now I'm thinking he's been a genius all along. My action was the opposite of his until now.

When my instructor talked me though how she teaches chipping and had me get set up I was thinking "are you serious? I can't hit the ball like this" but sure enough during that first time trying it I was finding the center of the club. My subsequent practice sessions I've also found the center of the club more often than not. Goes to show how wrong I was! I'm not used to striking my chips like this so I'm noticing that most of mine right now are going long. Hitting it in the center is a welcome change.

Last thing about chipping... It's kind of amazing how high one can hit the ball without hand action. Definitely wasn't expecting that.

Like we've been discussing golf is counter intuitive. You're now delivering more actual loft consistently while having better contact. More backspin too I bet! This technique will really help you hit it consistently inside 50 yards and control distance and roll out. Great stuff keep it up.

Thanks LowHeel!

Like we've been discussing golf is counter intuitive. You're now delivering more actual loft consistently while having better contact. More backspin too I bet! This technique will really help you hit it consistently inside 50 yards and control distance and roll out. Great stuff keep it up.

I would say so far what I’ve noticed is the spin I produce is more consistent than before. Trajectory and spin are more dependable because the quality of strike has improved.

The other day when I was practicing one of the shots I was working on was chipping to a tucked pin over a bunker. 4 out of 5 were inside 8’ and the fifth was a shot I chunked so it was like 20’ or so. The other 4 balls were all sitting right next to each other. That’s what I mean about consistency of strike improving and that’s precisely what I couldn’t achieve before.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Impact from two swings.What do you see OP?

Hmm, my eye is still learning how to see the golf swing. I think my hips are rotating better in the green shirt.

The swing in the orange shirt it seems like my hips are exactly where they started at address rather than being in a better impact position.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Scratch ain't a pipedream for you,it's a reality!

You've got gobs of potential

Thanks GrayBack, so did I pass your quiz? Was it the hips?

I need to start squatting again, my a** is non-existent.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Not really a quiz.I just wanted to hear what you see in those impacts and compare it to my thoughts.Yes,the hips are more open in the green shirt swing but I would go further and say there is overall better rotation in that swing and slightly more right side bend(which is a result).Your right shoulder is slightly lower as well which is another indicator of better rotation in some cases but some people overdo that and end up EEing and flipping out to right field.Your instructor seems to be helping you so I would stick with her for a while.Give her a certain period of time and if you don't see marked improvement then move on.

Not really a quiz.I just wanted to hear what you see in those impacts and compare it to my thoughts.Yes,the hips are more open in the green shirt swing but I would go further and say there is overall better rotation in that swing and slightly more right side bend(which is a result).Your right shoulder is slightly lower as well which is another indicator of better rotation in some cases but some people overdo that and end up EEing and flipping out to right field.Your instructor seems to be helping you so I would stick with her for a while.Give her a certain period of time and if you don't see marked improvement then move on.

That's for the feedback; I feel like my instructor has been helping a lot. Have another lesson next week.

I see you're in Chicago. Every had the chance to play Point O' Woods over in MI? I was lucky enough to play out there once and thought it was a wonderful old course.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

So in prior posts I talked about how I'm working on having a soft right arm in the takeaway. I'll need to talk to Cindy about it at my next lesson but I think I'm over analyzing trying to figure out what exactly my right arm is doing. Not even sure how to explain what I'm struggling with but it seems like the looser I have my right arm and the early I let it fold the better. I'm not sure if that's what's actually happening but that's the feeling.

This is the same for chipping. It's like I need my right elbow to bend just a touch in order to strike it crisp. When I do it it seems the contact is much better.

Today I got to practice for 3 hours. Spent most of the time chipping and pitching but overall today was frustrating. Just didn't hit the ball well.

One last thing on my swing. I'm becoming obsessed with my arms and where/what they should be doing. I'm worried that my left arm isn't in a good position throughout the back-swing and just another thing that distracting me. At some point in the future I'm looking forward to having less going on in my head (hopefully).

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Threw in a Stinger in honor of Tiger. I can't hit like he can but I caught this one pretty good and kept the traj down ;)

Stinger (just for fun):

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Told you guys that I'd throw in a couple of short shots. Below are a chip shot face on and a pitch DTL. Even though it didn't feel like it in the chip I can see I still have some hand action (even though I struck it quite nicely).

Chip:

Pitch (feel like my left arm is pinned too much):

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Had my 4th lesson yesterday. Couldn't have come at a better time because the driver as been absolutely killing me lately.

Generally speaking this is where I'm at:

1. I have a habit of starting my downswing before I finish my backswing
  2. My take-away is handsy
  3. I don't finish my shoulder turn

Cindy had me start using the push-turn-pause drill. Once addressed to the ball: push away with your left shoulder, next step is finish the backswing/shoulder turn and feel the pressure load up in your right foot and then pause at the top before hitting the ball.

My normal swing I guess is a hand/arm swing. Really jerky/fast to the top and then jerky and fast to the bottom. Cindy teaches me to actually turn and load my lower body.

The biggest thing I felt with this drill is just how much I can load into my right foot when done properly. From there I have a lot of power stored up and the ball just launches. I started with 9 iron then 6 iron then 3 wood and then driver. This drill is hard but I'll be spending more time working on it.

How I'll actually use this drill in practice? Three reps of the drill and then three normal swings. If that set goes well move to a longer club and repeat all the way up to driver.

Also, I am still struggling with the soft right arm in the take-away. That will be one of my nemesis I suppose.

Last thing I'll say is that yesterday at my lesson Cindy had me absolutely smoking the ball. I was kind of like "holy s*** this is cool" but then I played today and hit maybe 4 good shots. I can't seem to bring it to the course yet.

Push-Turn-Pause w/Driver (lost my balance a little on this one)

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

That looks like Riverpark!

That would be correct. Except now it's call Valley Golf Center.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I applaud you for sticking with your plan and with the instructor you initially chose to help guide you on this journey. I cannot really categorize your swing into what pro it looks like or what instructor teaches that type of swing which is probably a good thing. You obviously have power to burn and are practicing properly by hitting lots of half shots. Maybe once in awhile just throw all the technical stuff out the window and just go out and play with a simple swing thought. Something like “ back- hit” or something that gets your mind off of all the swing thoughts pounding through your head. You seem to be a little hard on yourself at times so maybe just lighten up a little. Doesn’t mean you are trying any less hard just practicing or playing in a different manner once in awhile. Definitely not trying to come off as critical. You are doing a great job. Keep it going.

I applaud you for sticking with your plan and with the instructor you initially chose to help guide you on this journey. I cannot really categorize your swing into what pro it looks like or what instructor teaches that type of swing which is probably a good thing. You obviously have power to burn and are practicing properly by hitting lots of half shots. Maybe once in awhile just throw all the technical stuff out the window and just go out and play with a simple swing thought. Something like " back- hit" or something that gets your mind off of all the swing thoughts pounding through your head. You seem to be a little hard on yourself at times so maybe just lighten up a little. Doesn't mean you are trying any less hard just practicing or playing in a different manner once in awhile. Definitely not trying to come off as critical. You are doing a great job. Keep it going.

The swing Cindy teaches has a different look to it compared to most so I think I know what you mean. I'm going to keep at it.

At some point in the future I might try doing video lesson(s) with the AMG guys. I've been enjoying their videos a lot and like the idea of keeping things athletic.

I might be tough on myself at times but the point is to just be honest with those that are interested in reading this thread. It's a mental roller-coaster at times going from hitting the ball better than I ever have with Cindy during lessons and then struggling out on the course. I thought it would be challenging and I was right about that. It's gonna click one of these days.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Great stuff!

One question...did your instructor talk to you about posture at all?

Look at your latest swing videos. You’ll see a significant rounding in your lower back. This is referred to as S posture, and it can effect early extension in a massive way.

Do a quick search on S posture in golf, and you’ll see a ton of stuff.

Your move is pretty darn good, but little things at setup can make a massive difference. Keep up the great work and content!

Great stuff!

One question...did your instructor talk to you about posture at all?

Look at your latest swing videos. You'll see a significant rounding in your lower back. This is referred to as S posture, and it can effect early extension in a massive way.

Do a quick search on S posture in golf, and you'll see a ton of stuff.

Your move is pretty darn good, but little things at setup can make a massive difference. Keep up the great work and content!

I see that. Yeah that's something I need to pay attention to in my posture. Cindy mentioned a couple times that I was over doing it with my posture and bending over at the hips. Especially in that last iron video.

Work in progress, thanks jurr!

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

1st Week of Practice:

Monday hit balls and focused only on what Cindy told me to do. Working on posture and balance. Also getting used to the new feeling of this swing. Hit the ball pretty good overall.

Tuesday – Thursday I was out of town for work. I still tried to practice my setup routine in the mirror in my hotel room. This was actually a pretty good way to pass the time watching the Olympics. Thursday night when I got back I hit balls for a couple of hours. I did not hit the ball great on Thursday. It felt like I was wearing a lead jacket or something. It just felt like I couldn’t move. I took a video of my swing and texted it to Cindy. She saw I had too much weight in my heels and she said its difficult to move from that position (see youtube).

Today after work I hit balls for about 45 minutes. Still working on nothing else but my setup and having my weight spread evenly across my entire foot (not just my heels). This made me feel like I could move much easier and consequently I hit the ball pretty damn solid the entire session. I hit the ball where was aiming on the majority of shots. I hit some bad and some mediocre but overall, I’m pleased with today. I also texted a video of today’s swing to Cindy and she liked what it looked like much more than Thursday. I’ll post a video of each video to youtube.

I’m not sure why but I have a problem getting my body through the ball. My body doesn’t seem to rotate enough through the downswing but I’m sure I’ll have a chance to work on that with Cindy. Right now she doesn't want me to focus on that.

The grind will continue this weekend with more range time, more reps and more focus on my setup.

Miscellaneous practicing:

- Watching the Olympics back at home and I’m going through my setup routine with a SW over and over again. Grip, grip pressure, posture and ball position

- Every time I use the restroom at work I go through my setup routine in the mirror twice. This is awkward I guess doing it in the work bathroom but I have no shame right now. My boss walked in and all he said was “working on your game eh?

- Haven’t counted any of my reps this week but its been a decent amount of work.

• Crappy Range Session:

• Better Range Session:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. Haven't been seen by anyone yet but knowing someone else in the world does it makes me happy. Keep up the work man, interesting reading so far.

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk