2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Speed without yanking the handle?

ebrasmus21

Impact from two swings.What do you see OP?

lack of left hip clearance -- and your shoulder angle is a bit closed at impact. my guess is your miss is either a spinny left, or a pull.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

1st Week of Practice:

Monday hit balls and focused only on what Cindy told me to do. Working on posture and balance. Also getting used to the new feeling of this swing. Hit the ball pretty good overall.

Tuesday – Thursday I was out of town for work. I still tried to practice my setup routine in the mirror in my hotel room. This was actually a pretty good way to pass the time watching the Olympics. Thursday night when I got back I hit balls for a couple of hours. I did not hit the ball great on Thursday. It felt like I was wearing a lead jacket or something. It just felt like I couldn’t move. I took a video of my swing and texted it to Cindy. She saw I had too much weight in my heels and she said its difficult to move from that position (see youtube).

Today after work I hit balls for about 45 minutes. Still working on nothing else but my setup and having my weight spread evenly across my entire foot (not just my heels). This made me feel like I could move much easier and consequently I hit the ball pretty damn solid the entire session. I hit the ball where was aiming on the majority of shots. I hit some bad and some mediocre but overall, I’m pleased with today. I also texted a video of today’s swing to Cindy and she liked what it looked like much more than Thursday. I’ll post a video of each video to youtube.

I’m not sure why but I have a problem getting my body through the ball. My body doesn’t seem to rotate enough through the downswing but I’m sure I’ll have a chance to work on that with Cindy. Right now she doesn't want me to focus on that.

The grind will continue this weekend with more range time, more reps and more focus on my setup.

Miscellaneous practicing:

- Watching the Olympics back at home and I’m going through my setup routine with a SW over and over again. Grip, grip pressure, posture and ball position

- Every time I use the restroom at work I go through my setup routine in the mirror twice. This is awkward I guess doing it in the work bathroom but I have no shame right now. My boss walked in and all he said was “working on your game eh?

- Haven’t counted any of my reps this week but its been a decent amount of work.

• Crappy Range Session:

• Better Range Session:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. Haven't been seen by anyone yet but knowing someone else in the world does it makes me happy. Keep up the work man, interesting reading so far.

Lol, yeah my boss only caught me that one time but I've been getting some solid reps in the men's room. Thanks Gar.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

lack of left hip clearance -- and your shoulder angle is a bit closed at impact. my guess is your miss is either a spinny left, or a pull.

It depends on how much of an A-hole my right hand is being. Either a pull like you said or a weak block. I'm making some progress though - this I got through a bit better.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

It depends on how much of an A-hole my right hand is being. Either a pull like you said or a weak block. I'm making some progress though - this I got through a bit better.

that's getting there -- just need to open the chest up a bit and you'll have free release/clearance through the impact area -- would help greatly with consistency/striking.

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

that's getting there -- just need to open the chest up a bit and you'll have free release/clearance through the impact area -- would help greatly with consistency/striking.

This game is hard.

I was looking at a slow mo of Sergio's swing last night. That dude gets through the ball, wow. I swing nothing like him but damn it'd be nice to clear like he does.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

This game is hard.

I was looking at a slow mo of Sergio's swing last night. That dude gets through the ball, wow. I swing nothing like him but damn it'd be nice to clear like he does.

this game is INCREDIBLY hard. lol

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Hey there.

There are plenty of qualified guys on here, but one thing that I do not particularly care for in you swing is how long you keep your head down.

Try a little Annika/Duval/Stenson let the head swivel out AS you swing through the ball, not AFTER.

Lots of articles have been written on this, but keeping the head down to long artificially shortens the swing and can lead to other issues as well. Something to consider…

Best of luck to you on your journey. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Hey there.

There are plenty of qualified guys on here, but one thing that I do not particularly care for in you swing is how long you keep your head down.

Try a little Annika/Duval/Stenson let the head swivel out AS you swing through the ball, not AFTER.

Lots of articles have been written on this, but keeping the head down to long artificially shortens the swing and can lead to other issues as well. Something to consider…

Best of luck to you on your journey. :-)

Thanks Obee, never considered that before. I don’t actively think about keeping my head down but during the process of recording my swing for the past 6 weeks or so I’ve noticed that I do keep my head down through the ball quite a bit. Thanks for pointing that out!

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

It's taken me a while to understand how much I've been over doing it with my posture and address changes. I'm finally getting the feeling of making changes but not going to the extremes that I have been thus far. To put it another way I'm softening my address some.

I've been watching all the AMG videos for several months now. For whatever reason the stuff they talk about really resonates with me and even though I've been enjoying my lessons with Cindy I kept feeling like I should send a video to AMG.

Finally broke down and sent in my video which Mike Granato got hold of and gave me a video lesson. The way they have their online lessons set up is pretty cool.

Turns out, according to Mike, I get into some really good positions in the backswing. However, I get the club stuck behind me pretty severely in the downswing.

Mike talked about what I can do to help me get the club on plan in the downswing so I'm keen to keep practicing but I ate a bad chipotle burrito and got food poisoning so I haven't practiced at all this week. I'm going to post some photos of me trying what Mike talked about.

I kind of keep my right ankle anchored to the ground and Mike was explaining that can make it difficult to rotate through the shot for some people.

Check out these photos. I've got some serious hump going on right now (this has been discussed some in previous posts)

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

These are a couple of quick videos that I shot after trying some of what Mike recommended for me. Got through the ball much better! Also, there might be a little hump left in there but it is much much smaller.

The rotaion drill is just about getting into a kind of pre-impact position and then opening the body to get through the ball.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I've been hitting the ball extremely well since my online lesson with Mike @ AMG. similar to you I was keeping my right foot planted for too long, in his words it was anchoring me down and causing me to not be able to turn as freely.

Swing looking better for sure, I also do a similar drill. and even do it as my pre swing rehearsal, I swing to the top focusing on keeping the pressure under my laces in my right foot (to stop me getting too much into my heels), then move down to P6 getting weight into left heel and getting right foot up, then from there move left shoulder up and around to rotate through.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I've been hitting the ball extremely well since my online lesson with Mike @ AMG. similar to you I was keeping my right foot planted for too long, in his words it was anchoring me down and causing me to not be able to turn as freely.

Swing looking better for sure, I also do a similar drill. and even do it as my pre swing rehearsal, I swing to the top focusing on keeping the pressure under my laces in my right foot (to stop me getting too much into my heels), then move down to P6 getting weight into left heel and getting right foot up, then from there move left shoulder up and around to rotate through.

Did you have plane issues in the downswing like I do?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Great rotation drill. I call it keeping the club behind you. Question. In transition you drop your arms behind which appears to lead to you getting arms pinned and stuck. Maybe more arms down and shallow via forearm pronation of lead arm or feel of trail shoulder going external? Going to feel like you are moving them more out given out they currently move. I know, know. Listen to your instructors not some mope on the internet. Lol.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Great rotation drill. I call it keeping the club behind you. Question. In transition you drop your arms behind which appears to lead to you getting arms pinned and stuck. Maybe more arms down and shallow via forearm pronation of lead arm or feel of trail shoulder going external? Going to feel like you are moving them more out given out they currently move. I know, know. Listen to your instructors not some mope on the internet. Lol.

Mike didn’t seem concerned as much about how my hands move. He was actually complimentary of my initial hand move in transition. He wanted me to soften my posture (which I do in that latest full swing video) and work on opening up my body.

He felt like because of my posture and because of my body rotation (or lack there of) it was leading to the club getting behind me.

There were a million other things I wanted to ask Mike but I’m trusting that his current prescription addresses my greatest needs. I’ll plan on continuing to work on posture, setup and the rotation drill.

For the rotation drill Mike’s advice is two or three drill reps then two or three full swings, rinse and repeat.

After I get some time to work on these things I plan on sending in another video to see what they say.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Don't want to derail your thread (good read btw), just a few quick questions. How tall are you? Did you ever go for a fitting? Standard club length or custom? Thanks

I'm 6'4.

I did get fit last year - before I started with lessons and before I made the changes I've made. So, I'd like to get fit again to see if anything has changed. My irons play +1/2 inch.

I'd also like to get new irons at some point this year and I'll definitely get fit for those when the time comes.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Don't want to derail your thread (good read btw), just a few quick questions. How tall are you? Did you ever go for a fitting? Standard club length or custom? Thanks

I'm 6'4.

I did get fit last year - before I started with lessons and before I made the changes I've made. So, I'd like to get fit again to see if anything has changed. My irons play +1/2 inch.

I'd also like to get new irons at some point this year and I'll definitely get fit for those when the time comes.

Thanks. Do your short irons feel like they fit you? I'm 6'5" and our posture looks similar. Thinking about some drastic club alterations.

I'm 6'4.

Thanks. Do your short irons feel like they fit you? I'm 6'5" and our posture looks similar. Thinking about some drastic club alterations.

What did you have in mind?

I feel pretty comfortable with my clubs. Short irons feel fine. The SW are pretty heavy - I think I’m at D6 for all my irons and if I went even longer like +1 inch the SW might get crazy.

I don’t have plans to change the specs on my current irons. I have my eye on the MP 18 MMC. When I’m ready I’ll to get them I’ll go through a full fitting.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I'm 6'4.

I feel pretty comfortable with my clubs. Short irons feel fine. The SW are pretty heavy - I think I'm at D6 for all my irons and if I went even longer like +1 inch the SW might get crazy.

I don't have plans to change the specs on my current irons. I have my eye on the MP 18 MMC. When I'm ready I'll to get them I'll go through a full fitting.

Not sure yet? Longer short irons (8-PW)? 3/8" gapping? Meant to ask...do you know your WTF measurement?

I'm 6'4.

I feel pretty comfortable with my clubs. Short irons feel fine. The SW are pretty heavy - I think I'm at D6 for all my irons and if I went even longer like +1 inch the SW might get crazy.

I don't have plans to change the specs on my current irons. I have my eye on the MP 18 MMC. When I'm ready I'll to get them I'll go through a full fitting.

Not sure yet? Longer short irons (8-PW)? 3/8" gapping? Meant to ask...do you know your WTF measurement?

Barefoot I'm pretty much 35" on the button.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Shot 78 today. First round in the 70's for quite some time.

What was interesting about today was that I hit the ball like crap. Didn't hit a single driver solid but missed it okay. Iron shots were okay misses (most were hit slightly thin) and I usually missed in the correct spots. Short game was pretty strong today (especially considering how bad it's been historically). Got up and down 6 times from off the green and lipped out 2 others that would have been nice up and downs.

Had maybe the worst lie of my life in a greenside bunker today. Horrifically cratered, ball well below my feet. Swinging as hard as I could I wasn't sure if I could even get it out of the bunker. Didn't panic, I gouged it out and it rolled across the green into another bunker. Walk to the other bunker hit it to 10' and make the putt for one of the better bogeys I've ever made.

Today was encouraging because it shows that I can hit the ball poorly and still shoot in the 70's. Today also showed that my short game is getting much much better.

It will be nice when I start hitting the driver solid again but today was great for my confidence.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

no I had slight backswing plane issue but downswing plane is good

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

My never ending battle to get the club on-plane. This is truly my nemesis right now.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

[media=]

[/media]

That last swing looks pretty solid to me. What are you using to take screen shots with red angle lines? Phone app?

An app called SwingPlane.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

It's looking good OP,the hard work is paying off! The biggest difference between good players and bad players that I've seen is simply the rotational motion.When it happens,why it happens,etc.In normal speed it looks like most amateurs rotate through the shot but if you look at their swing in slow motion it tells the true story.For most the first half of the downswing there is a descent amount of rotation but from halfway down and just beyond impact the body stops rotating and does more thrusting toward the ball while the arms,particularly the right arm,flail at the ball.Then after impact the momentum of the arms bring the body around to a finish.It's not really the body getting to the finish on its own merit but it is brought around by the weight and momentum of the "thrown" out arms.

With good players it's the opposite.The body never stops rotating,it carries everything around with it.That's why still shots of professionals at impact look so good.Their hips are OPENING to the target and carrying the arms through.You can literally see in the still how the energy is being pulled around from the ground up.In the impact stills of most amateurs the energy is in the upper body and the lower body is dead for the most part.