Mitsubishi Kuro Kage XD Shaft, Review with Multiple player Trackman Data

TollBros

Yes we have them in stock. Here is the link to that section.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1614812-mitsubishi-kuro-kage-xd-shafts/#entry17094974

I know what everyone is going to ask is, how does the XD compare with the first iteration of the Kuro Kage XT and the Dual Core XT. Basically, what you are getting with the XD is the crisp feel of the original XT, but the spin rates of the Dual Core XT, which are lower than the original. The feel is very much close to the original XT which a lot of players, including McIlroy prefer. That means it is tighter feeling, lower torque feeling, and overall just a tighter and crisper feel than the Dual Core XT. Dual Core XT has a very unique feel where the smoother you swing, the smoother it feels, and the harder you step on it, the tighter feeling it becomes. The XD does not mimic that type of feel. It is most definitely tighter feeling. I don't want to say stiffer feeling, because that's not really accurate, it just feels low torque and tight. Basically, if you liked the feel of the original XT, but wanted the lower spin rates of the Dual Core XT, then XD is exactly what you have been asking for. I will say this shaft is VERY and I mean VERY sensitive to tipping so proper fit is an absolute must. It can feel just a bit off if you don't tip it enough, and it can get stiff feeling quite fast if you over tip it. Even 1/4 inch means a lot in the way it feels and loads.

As for as aesthetics, the XD wipes the floor with Dual Core XT. It has what Mitsubishi calls an IP finish which makes it look shiny silver like steel at the bottom of the shaft and creates a rainbow effect in the Kuro Kage logo section. Since the Sun has refused to shine here for the last week or so, I haven't been able to get a really nice photo of it, but it has to let up sooner or later. Maybe.

• Like 1

Great stuff as always! What head were you all using?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Driver: M3 440 + Synergy 70TX or Tensi White 70TX
2-iron: Cobra Forged CB | KBS Tour 130x
3-PW: MP18 MB | KBS Tour 130x
50 = Mizuno T7 | KBS Tour 130x
54/58 = Fourteen RM22 Raw | KBS TourV
Scotty Laguna 1.5

I know you’re onto the synergy shaft but which shaft did you like the feel more overall, the KKDC TX or the XD?

That's purely up to each individual player. I've played dcxt for extended periods so I'm somewhat uses to that feel.

Great stuff as always! What head were you all using?

2016 M1.

Interested as to what you ‘feel’ is the “stiffest†feeling of the bunch now with the new XD?

The XD is the crispest feeling of those products compared here.

Does the finish give a glare at address? It looks like the pro orange is still the ball speed champ

No it doesn't. Pro Orange is counterbanced so everyone pretty much always picks up a little swing speed and thus ball speed with counterbanced shafts. Some guys don't hit them consistently however, and prefer traditional balance point.

And you can get the XD in a stiff flex, that is made of the same materials and not a "lesser" version?

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

What are the hcp's of these testers?

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

And you can get the XD in a stiff flex, that is made of the same materials and not a "lesser" version?

I believe it is the same materials in the stiff as the xstiff, like the original XT. I think the DC in xstiff was kind of a one-off in the XT profile.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

What’s the raw weight on the XD compared to the DC XT? Do they have the same approximate balance point?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

What are the hcp's of these testers?

+2, +1 and 0.

I believe it is the same materials in the stiff as the xstiff, like the original XT. I think the DC in xstiff was kind of a one-off in the XT profile.

Yes the stiff and TX are made with the same material set up.

Gotcha. Why do u think there aren’t any tour guys going for the synergy black and opting for the PO? I know what I’ve heard from my sources but curious as to your thoughts and or what you’ve heard.

Edel PROTO

Gotcha. Why do u think there aren't any tour guys going for the synergy black and opting for the PO? I know what I've heard from my sources but curious as to your thoughts and or what you've heard.

My best guess would be that Pro Orange is a current level, ultra premium product that is readily available on Tour for those guys. I'm not really sure Aldila has anything out on Tour except Synergy Blue, which isn't really going to be the choice of a lot of Tour players in the driver. I'd expect when Synergy Green comes along, or when Rogue Platinum comes out, you'll see a lot of guys going with those products.

What’s the raw weight on the XD compared to the DC XT? Do they have the same approximate balance point?

XD is very much a traditional balance point shaft. I haven't weighed any of these so honestly I don't know the exact weight of each flex and number off hand. I'm guessing 2-3 grams heavier than DCXT because of the IP plating.

Love seeing this data, Toll! Im excited about my XD, but man it's gonna be h-a-r-d not to give the PO a shot this year...Ho'ing at its best!

I'd like to point out we tried to do a comparison of shafts that would produce numbers that were not miles off each other, and of course the current ultra low spin king, Synergy Black for the sake of comparison. It gives people the knowledge that there are several different products that will give you similar numbers, however with totally different balance points and feel dynamics. That's really the beauty of the modern high end shafts. Several ways to achieve similar results.

Love seeing this data, Toll! Im excited about my XD, but man it's gonna be h-a-r-d not to give the PO a shot this year...Ho'ing at its best!

I'd like to point out we tried to do a comparison of shafts that would produce numbers that were not miles off each other, and of course the current ultra low spin king, Synergy Black for the sake of comparison. It gives people the knowledge that there are several different products that will give you similar numbers, however with totally different balance points and feel dynamics. That's really the beauty of the modern high end shafts. Several ways to achieve similar results.

In regards to feel would you consider the dual core tx the most tip heavy of these offerings? Conversely the orange would be the least tip heavy with the synergy black in between?

Ping G400 Max 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
Ping G400 3 crossover Alta stiff
Callaway Apex 4-SW recoil 780 stiff
Cleveland cbx 60* recoil stiff
Biomech Acculock
Snell MTB Black

In regards to feel would you consider the dual core tx the most tip heavy of these offerings? Conversely the orange would be the least tip heavy with the synergy black in between?

All are pretty close in balance point except pro orange.

ABSOLUTE GOLD TOLL! Thank you. Looks like XD was lowest launching for everyone? That’s huge for me w a plus 5 AoA. How does launch compare to PO? Saw your thought on spin vs PO above.

Thx!!!

Pro Orange launches a bit higher. The XD is very very close overall to the launch and spin of the DCXT, just crisper feeling. It all depends on what feel you like.

Hey Toll,

You mentioned above how sensitive the XD is to tipping. Is it the most sensitive out of this batch of shafts? Interesting that just a 1/4 could make a huge difference. Tested a PO tipped a half and didn't notice a huge difference.

Thanks for the info as always!

[b]TaylorMade SIM[/b] - 10.5 deg - w/ Aldila Synergy Black Proto 60-TX tipped 0.5 - 44.75"
[b]Adams XTD TI[/b] - 2 hybrid (16.5 deg) - Matrix HM3 105g X
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 3i (1 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper Lite-X (ss1)
[b]TaylorMade P790 -[/b] 4-6: (2 deg weak) - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Adams MB2 - [/b] 7-PW: KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Titleist Vokey[/b] SM4: 50 F Grind - KBS C-Taper 130x (ss1)
[b]Callaway[/b] PM Grind 56 - bent to 55, PM Grind 60 - Dynamic Gold TI s400
[b]Tiger NP2 Replica G.O.A.T.:[/b] - 35.5in

I played the XT for a while but just didn't have enough life in the shaft for me. IMO the KK DC XT is a MAJOR improvement in feel with less left for me. IMO the PO V3 looks like a rockstar if you can get along with it. I've hit it a little bit and liked it but i actually had the PO V2 which i didn't like.

What shafts are in the bag for the players above? I could imagine being one of these testers and falling into the trap of chasing numbers instead of sticking to something tried and true on the golf course. Has to be a big temptation.

Edel PROTO

Hey Toll,

You mentioned above how sensitive the XD is to tipping. Is it the most sensitive out of this batch of shafts? Interesting that just a 1/4 could make a huge difference. Tested a PO tipped a half and didn't notice a huge difference.

I find that hard to believe tbh.

Hey Toll,

I would say it's one of the most sensitive to tipping shafts we have ever tested. The torque is so low in it, that it gets very tight, very fast if you over do it.

I played the XT for a while but just didn't have enough life in the shaft for me. IMO the KK DC XT is a MAJOR improvement in feel with less left for me. IMO the PO V3 looks like a rockstar if you can get along with it. I've hit it a little bit and liked it but i actually had the PO V2 which i didn't like.

What shafts are in the bag for the players above? I could imagine being one of these testers and falling into the trap of chasing numbers instead of sticking to something tried and true on the golf course. Has to be a big temptation.

I play Synergy Black 60tx. Tester 2 plays Synergy Black 70tx in a 2016 M1. Tester 3 plays Tensei Pro White 60tx in a Cobra LTD Pro.

The other two guys have bagged the shafts they are playing for about 6 months and about a year and a half respectively. I think the mindset is pretty universal with all our guys. We need to be able to return the club consistently to the ball, which means liking the weight, feel, and balance of the shaft, along with making sure the profile allows us to come pretty close to maximizing our numbers. It doesn't have to be the absolute longest, but it does have to be pretty close. The final step is getting it on the course and being able to trust the flight pattern under pressure. As long as it checks all those boxes, guys are hard pressed to switch, unless the data really lights up the screen. Nobody is going to willingly leave 10+ yards on the table without giving that product a chance.

SO HELPFUL Toll. I actually DIDNT like the feel of the DCXT and so far DO like the XD. I think I found the T1100s next challenger.

I play the T1100 65 X. So, not as beastly as 70 X

Speaking of 60 v 70, do you feel the data above would be consistent with 60 grab models as well.

A million thanks, SERIOUSLY

The data is generally pretty transferable across weight ranges, assuming all the shafts are in the same 2-3 gram range.