Range Finder

Ok guys what type of range finder does your Jr golfer use. Mine is 10 yo and playing his 1st tournament in 3 weeks. His grandpa recommends the Bushnell but hasn't offered to buy him one haha. Just wondering if there is another brand more affordable then the Bushnell and that is easy for a Jr to use. Thanks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikon Coolshot 40 (non-slope edition). Got mine for under $199 I think last year. Have played with others using a Bushnell and they were within 1 yard of each other for measurement.

Edit to add: My only complaint is the carrying case that the Nikon came with is a bit of a cheap piece of junk. I emailed Nikon and had them send me another carrying case under warranty. I'll switch to that one when the first one falls apart completely.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Nikon Golf Coolshot 80i VR Golf Slope Laser Rangefinder - on sale now for $375. Has slope but can be disabled for tournament play. I prefer this model because in practice rounds you can get your yardages with the slope, take your notes on the + or - on the distance and then just refer to those during the round. Also has a shakey hands vibration reduction technology which is good for the young kids trying to scope a flag from 250 yards out.
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Search for a Leupold PinCaddie 2.

Our HS Golf Coaches Association has a deal to sell them to members for $142.50 ea. Maybe your local HS has a similar deal?

It's not aluminum frame like their high end lasers and it won't have slope, fog mode or prism lock... but it's a Leupold and their CS is outstanding (been there).

Super good unit for a 10yo and you'll feel better about the cost when it gets lost or stolen.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I have a Leupold and Bushnell. The Leupold has better optics but is tougher to lock on to a target IMO. The Bushnell vibrates when it locks on a target and my kids find it much easier to get a correct distance. Leupold has the better customer service but Bushnell sells more. Most of the kids that I see playing have a Bushnell.

With most of the rangefinders today, the only way you know if the slope is turned on or off is by shooting a yardage. You can't tell by looking on the outside of the rangefinder. I can't imagine someone questioning you to the point of looking on the inside of the rangefinder.

The Bushnell V4 has a slider switch thing on the outside. Plus there's the whole 'integrity' part of the game.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

It’s the only rangefinder we have ever used so it is tough to have a comparison. We have the vpro 500 ($149). Simple to use... it has 3 modes. It is accurate when in pin sensor mode. It allows you to shoot hazards in front the pin which is a little tricky if you don’t have a steady hand (ha). It says accurate from 500Y +... I feel like outside of 250Y I have trouble picking up the flag but that may just be me. The case is durable but a zipper opening, wished it was a button for easier access. I would recommend it. Actually need to get a second one soon for my youngest. Hope this helps!

With most of the rangefinders today, the only way you know if the slope is turned on or off is by shooting a yardage. You can't tell by looking on the outside of the rangefinder. I can't imagine someone questioning you to the point of looking on the inside of the rangefinder.

The Bushnell V4 has a slider switch thing on the outside. Plus there's the whole 'integrity' part of the game.

Bingo

Bushnell v4 switch. One can tell by looking at the outside of the rangefinder as to whether or not slope is on.

"Is the Bushnell v4 with Slope USGA Legal?

In prior models of range finders with slope there was an issue with using them for tournament play. Since USGA does not allow slope technology for tournament play, players needed a rangefinder that not only delivered slope but also was legal. Thanks to some rule changes, you are now allowed to use the Bushnell v4 in a USGA tournament as long as you turn off the slope function. To turn off the slope function just hold down the power button, which will cycle through all of the modes. Once you see yards with no slope meters, release the power button and your device will be legal for tournament play."

Reading these instructions, it sounds to me like the USGA is a bunch of suckers.

We have never used one with slope. Does it measure the yardage with slope adjustment? Or does it measure and give you a yardage with a -3 or +3 type of adjustment. Useful for practice round and just write adjustments in yardage book?

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

We have never used one with slope. Does it measure the yardage with slope adjustment? Or does it measure and give you a yardage with a -3 or +3 type of adjustment. Useful for practice round and just write adjustments in yardage book?

My bushnell gives actual yardage, then underneath adjusted ,,

"134 yards"

"+4 yards"

Honestly Hardly ever pay attention to the slope on the rangefinder. Living in Lowcounty SC, a 5' elevation change is considered a huge mountain.

I have the V4 Bushnell without slope, but could probably use it here in the Midlands. I seem to misjudge a lot of elevated approach shots. It doesn't help that my home course has a range sloping away from you, but then has about 9 holes with severely elevated greens. Maybe I should borrow one one day and just walk the course with a notepad.

"Is the Bushnell v4 with Slope USGA Legal?

In prior models of range finders with slope there was an issue with using them for tournament play. Since USGA does not allow slope technology for tournament play, players needed a rangefinder that not only delivered slope but also was legal. Thanks to some rule changes, you are now allowed to use the Bushnell v4 in a USGA tournament as long as you turn off the slope function. To turn off the slope function just hold down the power button, which will cycle through all of the modes. Once you see yards with no slope meters, release the power button and your device will be legal for tournament play."

Reading these instructions, it sounds to me like the USGA is a bunch of suckers.

Being an owner of a non-slope Nikon, I couldn't figure out the Bushnell Slope On/Off feature. Turns out there are two models that have slope. FYI....

Model 201661 – Tour V4 Slope

Press and hold the POWER/FIRE button. The display will begin to cycle through the options Yards w/ Slope, Yards, Meters w/Slope, Meters

When you see Yards, let go of the power/fire button.

Model 201760 – Tour V4 Shift

There is a side toggle switch to turn slope on/off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a Bushnell Medalist for Christmas when I was 13. That was in 2006. It's still on my bag today.

If your kids respect their belongings, buy them something nice. They'll probably appreciate and use it for years to come. If you're not sure that your kid will take care of something like this (breakable and expensive), maybe come up with a way for them to work towards buying one for themselves. They'll be more likely to take care of something that they had to save up for.

Tec tec tec vpro500 ... $150 pretty ease to use. Had an issue with case, they sent a new one out no problem.

Every thing that I read say these are really good. Can you give more of a review?

My friend has one. He's been using it for a few months. Whenever we'd compare numbers, the tec was always within a yard of my old Bushnell. The only time I've seen the tec struggle was recently when it was hazy. My Bushnell doesn't work in fog, but as the fog started to clear, I was getting good numbers, while the tec still couldn't read. The tec struggled for a few more holes until the fog cleared more, but then it was back to business as usual.

No one mentioned this but a good GPS watch is worth it too and there usually a little cheaper then rangefinders Honestly though a good range finder and gps watch is important if your going to do a lot of tournaments. You eventually will want both because they will help.

I also like the fact that GPS watches can help you in blind shots.

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and bought the tec. Have to say used in this weekend and was well please. Although I don't have a lot to compare to. Will update if I come across any issues are get to compare it to something else.

How are you liking this? Did you get the one with the slope feature?

No one mentioned this but a good GPS watch is worth it too and there usually a little cheaper then rangefinders Honestly though a good range finder and gps watch is important if your going to do a lot of tournaments. You eventually will want both because they will help.

I also like the fact that GPS watches can help you in blind shots.

I think every kid should play with both. Gives you front, back, and center. No question of what those are.