2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

thepinkbomber

Looks like 1 May for release of the ball here in Canada. Received this from Titleist Canada today:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Titleist Canada.

You will begin to see more advertising and product knowledge of the new Titleist AVX golf ball in Canada around May 1st. We plan to have the golf balls in-shops on this date.

Kind regards,

Titleist Canada

Does anyone on any tour play this ball? I just can't see this ball staying around very long without a few big names on tour using it. Average Joe golfer is not gonna pay the same price as the ProV & ProVX for a ball they don't hear about on TV. Core golfers, like those at WRX, may play it because they know how it performs for them, but that's not how the golfing masses buy balls.

Does anyone on any tour play this ball? I just can't see this ball staying around very long without a few big names on tour using it. Average Joe golfer is not gonna pay the same price as the ProV & ProVX for a ball they don't hear about on TV. Core golfers, like those at WRX, may play it because they know how it performs for them, but that's not how the golfing masses buy balls.

That would take out many of the golf balls being sold today. Many Average Joe's would pay the same price. Many do, and continue to. Any many aren't on this board. Many of my playing partners play premium balls because it works for them. It's a personal decision. I just say play what works. I've played it. It flies lower and straighter than a ProV1 and is a softer ball. LGB has them used now. They're at least worth a shot.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I waited all winter to play this ball. It is longer for me than the Pro V1 V1x. More roll out. I never use to get roll out. Stops plenty good, very reliable distance control on chips. My only subtle complaint is it is not particularly soft to putt, but I am getting used to that. Very durable.

Rotated Bridgestone Tour and Taylormade TP5 and the AVX. AVX was the best for me. Did love the TP5 feel.

I played the AVX today and compared it side by side with the Tour Soft. The Tour Soft is quieter and definitely softer feeling of a full iron shot. The AVX has a lower ball flight and has better stopping power with a full iron shot. The spin on a 50 yd shot was definitely better with the the AVX. I would say the AVX is clickier but not horrible. At this point I would say the AVX is preferable to me as an all around ball. But the Tour Soft is not a bad ball just has more run on a chip shot

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

Went to a Titleist Ball Fitting and the AVX was prescribed for golfers who hit the ProV1 too high and with too much spin.

It has shallower dimples, launches lower, spins less than ProV1, and less greenside spin. A couple of guys played it and said their mid to short irons were now ridiculously long. One of the guys played ProV1 and AVX and decided that he could deal with less greenside spin.

For most of us mere mortals, we are doomed to the ProV1x - more spin off irons and wedges for launch and steeper descent, and more greenside spin than ProV1.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Went to a Titleist Ball Fitting and the AVX was prescribed for golfers who hit the ProV1 too high and with too much spin.

It has shallower dimples, launches lower, spins less than ProV1, and less greenside spin. A couple of guys played it and said their mid to short irons were now ridiculously long. One of the guys played ProV1 and AVX and decided that he could deal with less greenside spin.

For most of us mere mortals, we are doomed to the ProV1x - more spin off irons and wedges for launch and steeper descent, and more greenside spin than ProV1.

I love the AVX but I had a couple flyers today...could’ve been the PNW monsoon we played in. I had 122 to pin and hit my UW (130 max and normal 125-127...I flew the pin by 20 yards. WTF

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

I had a terrible spell of swing trouble a couple weeks ago and was losing $4 AVX balls at a prodigious rate. So I grabbed some cheap two-piece balls until I could get my swing sorted. Long term, I lose about a ball every 18-27 holes on average so cost doesn’t matter but I was hitting so many sideways shots it was costing me nearly a ball per hole!

After 3-4 rounds I got my swing back to its usual mediocre-ness so yesterday I played the AVX and a Surlyn ball on alternate holes. The difference was obvious. I usually don’t find any ball significantly longer than the others but I am totally addicted to the hot, low bullet driver shots I get with AVX off my driver. Darn the cost, I am literally driving the AVX 220-230 yards compared to my usual 210-215 with any other ball I’ve ever used.

Normal iron distance for me (about like ProV1x or any of the usual Surlyn option) but tons more Driver distance. Something about the way they tweaked the AVX design just hit a perfect sweet spot for my driver swing. Even though I hit it really low it carries as far as any ball (I.e. I can hit over fairway bunkersthat require a 190-something carry) but then runs out like a Jackrabbit.

I do hit an occasional full swing SW or GW that gets that “flyer” effect you guys are seeing with your irons. SW is about an 85 yard club for me normally and that is pretty much a dead max. With AVX once in a while that shot will fly 91-92-93 yards which is darned bear GW distance. So ai do have to allow for that if hitting a full wedge with trouble long. Bu nothing like that with irons for me.

This ball has been a god send for me and I really hope it gets released to the public. I have a very high club speed and a very high ball flight. Usually my drives are all carry and that was with the pro v1x. I played two rounds with this ball and I have never had such a low knuckling trajectory, On one par 5 I hit a draw that bounced and rolled down the fairway almost like it was on a cart path. Does anyone have any idea when these may get released ?

This ball has been a god send for me and I really hope it gets released to the public. I have a very high club speed and a very high ball flight. Usually my drives are all carry and that was with the pro v1x. I played two rounds with this ball and I have never had such a low knuckling trajectory, On one par 5 I hit a draw that bounced and rolled down the fairway almost like it was on a cart path. Does anyone have any idea when these may get released ?

i heard from a Titleist Rep...May....they even have new boxes that look like the other Titleist box design

i heard from a Titleist Rep...May....they even have new boxes that look like the other Titleist box design

Yes, May is what the guys at Titleist from Mass said the AVX would be fully released.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Golf Digest 2018 spin chart shows avx, v1, v1x all spin really really close to each other.

On full swings AVX and ProV1x are in the same general neighborhood. On little chips and pitch shots the AVX has much less checking power than ProV1x. AVX is still controllable but not that instant grab that ProV1x has on low 20-yarders.

Love these Balls. Bought a bunch in FL earlier in the year. Wish they were cheaper.

Word, that.

But hey, I wish my club dues were cheaper but it doesn't mean I'm going back to playing at the place with slow greens and hardpan fairways that I used to play for $20/round.

Titleist should have a "Trade in your Ball" promo at Golftown in Canada et al in other areas. Get folks to drop off 12 new balls of another brand for 12 new AVX or PROV1/1X. I'd trade in a dozen of my TP5s to try a box of AVX. But I'm not going to drop $55 or so here just to see if I like 'em.

Honma TW747 10.5° S, 3 5 7 w R
Honma TW747 P 5-11 steel R
Miura K-grind 52°, 60°
Honma TW-W4 56/8
Scotty Phantom X 5.5

In the garage:
Titleist 983K 10.5, 980F 3w 5w, 915H 18°, 25°, Mizuno MP-4 3-PW

Miura KM 007, Ping Cadence TR, Ping PLD3

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5, SC Futura 5MB, SC Tiffany,

Why in the world did titleist essentially switch the pro v1 and pro v1x? I'm usually a highly informed player and just now realizing the switch from higher launching/spinning is now the X vs. Lower launching/spinning is the V has very much surprised me. I have played pro v1x for a long while and I can't seem to properly understand this change.

It also annoys me for playing the X in big competitions and such for over a year with this new model and not knowing this.. Helps explain why last year at the BMW championship when Patrick Cantlay almost hit me he was still playing the old model. Caught rickie fowler pulling out a sleeve of v1x from 2011 at the masters too.

I'm a super high spin player, this AVX sounds like it could be interesting but in the mean time sounds like I'm going to V over X.

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

Why in the world did titleist essentially switch the pro v1 and pro v1x? I'm usually a highly informed player and just now realizing the switch from higher launching/spinning is now the X vs. Lower launching/spinning is the V has very much surprised me. I have played pro v1x for a long while and I can't seem to properly understand this change.

I know the current description was used for the 2013, 2015 and 2017 versions of ProV1 compared to ProV1x. Not sure about the 2011 or earlier versions, I’ve only used ProV1x since 2013 and at that point the V1x definitely was higher flight and higher short game spin

It also annoys me for playing the X in big competitions and such for over a year with this new model and not knowing this.. Helps explain why last year at the BMW championship when Patrick Cantlay almost hit me he was still playing the old model. Caught rickie fowler pulling out a sleeve of v1x from 2011 at the masters too.

I'm a super high spin player, this AVX sounds like it could be interesting but in the mean time sounds like I'm going to V over X.

I'm the same way! I've read on here that the X and V have been like this since 2003 or something but I don't buy it. I feel like it just switched on the newest release.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"