Masters tips?

wmblake2000

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice on what time to arrive to those who offered it yesterday. We came in on Washington Road and were parked at 7:15 on the club side of the road near the main gate. Absolutely perfect timing. Watched some players warm up at the range and putting green until they opened the course at 8am.

As for shopping I can't comment on how the shop was today other than the fact that there was a HUGE LONG LINE for people to get the items they had checked earlier at the main golf shop when I was leaving at 5pm. There is no way the people in the back of that line didn't wait at least 1-1.5 hours to get their stuff. My advice would be to either ship it or just have somebody take the stuff back out to your car since each ticket has 3 entries each day.

I can't comment on the shopping crowds today because we did our shopping on Monday afternoon when we got to Augusta at about 3pm and found some cheap tickets from people who were leaving for the day. We were able to take care of our shopping then which made today much better since we didn't have to worry about setting aside time for shopping.

All of the advice to shop early was 100% wrong. At 8:00 a.m. there was a 30 minute wait to get in, and wall to wall people inside the merch building.

At 5:30 in the afternoon, the same merch building was empty. Much easier shopping in the afternoon.

That was my experience, too

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

All of the advice to shop early was 100% wrong. At 8:00 a.m. there was a 30 minute wait to get in, and wall to wall people inside the merch building.

At 5:30 in the afternoon, the same merch building was empty. Much easier shopping in the afternoon.

Totally agree. We shopped early and I decided to go in for round two on the way out and it was totally empty and slow paced. Also, the on-site shipping procedure was run like a well oiled machine. I strongly recommend that to anyone going and especially who is flying. I basically changed my entire wardrobe to Masters gear yesterday (i’m Probably Amex new favorite dude, lol) and it cost me $48 to ship it back to Texas and will be waiting for me when I get home!

Totally agree. We shopped early and I decided to go in for round two on the way out and it was totally empty and slow paced. Also, the on-site shipping procedure was run like a well oiled machine. I strongly recommend that to anyone going and especially who is flying. I basically changed my entire wardrobe to Masters gear yesterday (i’m Probably Amex new favorite dude, lol) and it cost me $48 to ship it back to Texas and will be waiting for me when I get home!

Planned to shop early as well but bailed when seeing the huge line. I was already sick of waiting in traffic to park, I couldn’t waste anymore time in yet another line.

Didn’t shop until 430 or so and it was a breeze. A couple shirts I wanted were out of stock in my size but other than that got everything I need. Thankfully I’m going back Sunday so I’ll have ample opportunity to get anything I may have overlooked :)

I didn’t see the shipping line but others in my family did and this was the one line that seemed really long... they were guessing 1-1.5 hrs. This was near the end of the day. I didn’t buy much and just hung the bag on my belt.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Ctime, were did you pick up the tickets and how much should one expect to pay?looking to do something similar Friday and Saturday, if the weather holds.

We got them for 50 a piece from a ticket broker on Washington. It was 3pm so any money he got was probably a bonus but he did start off asking 150 each. Once we got to the parking lot we saw a couple other people make a deal with people who were leaving for the day. Not sure if you would be able to pull off a similar thing on actual tournament days though. Much easier on a practice round day.

I didn’t see the shipping line but others in my family did and this was the one line that seemed really long... they were guessing 1-1.5 hrs. This was near the end of the day. I didn’t buy much and just hung the bag on my belt.

That wasn't the shipping line. That was the line to pick up items that people had checked earlier in the day.

There are 3 exits per ticket allowed. They don't check ID. We used 6 tickets that allowed 11 people to see some of the day. I was the only one who stayed the whole day.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I didn't see the shipping line but others in my family did and this was the one line that seemed really long... they were guessing 1-1.5 hrs. This was near the end of the day. I didn't buy much and just hung the bag on my belt.

That wasn't the shipping line. That was the line to pick up items that people had checked earlier in the day.

They weren't sure if it was shipping or pickup... But that was the only line that didn't just flow. I mean, even the restrooms were efficient. Autocracy has its merits.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

So for those at park in the South Gate areA, where you able to purchase merchandise near there?

There's a south entrance gift shop. Go to that one. The north one will have a huge line.

I think this has been asked and answered a few times, but because of all the answers, it is getting somewhat confusing. The south entrance gift shop can be accessed between 7 and 8, with the gates not opening til 8, right? I haven't seen an answer to this, but I am assuming the brand new gift shop at the North entrance is on the other side of the gate and can't be accessed until after the gates open at 8?

So for those at park in the South Gate areA, where you able to purchase merchandise near there?

There's a south entrance gift shop. Go to that one. The north one will have a huge line.

I think this has been asked and answered a few times, but because of all the answers, it is getting somewhat confusing. The south entrance gift shop can be accessed between 7 and 8, with the gates not opening til 8, right? I haven't seen an answer to this, but I am assuming the brand new gift shop at the North entrance is on the other side of the gate and can't be accessed until after the gates open at 8?

Gates open at 7 AM local time. That's the case for Monday's practice round. I don't think they change it during other days.

Gates open at 7 AM local time. That's the case for Monday's practice round. I don't think they change it during other days.

Not sure what you mean by "Gates open at 7 AM local time." Local time as in for you in Texas? Everything I see on the Masters site has gates opening at 8 AM. Sorry for the confusion.

Not sure what you mean by "Gates open at 7 AM local time." Local time as in for you in Texas? Everything I see on the Masters site has gates opening at 8 AM. Sorry for the confusion.

Local Augusta (EDT). I was there on Monday morning at 6:30 AM. They started to let us in through waves. I was done shopping by 7:30.

Local Augusta (EDT). I was there on Monday morning at 6:30 AM. They started to let us in through waves. I was done shopping by 7:30.

I am probably causing more confusion than clarity, but it sounds like there are two gates? One that opens at 7 and allows you into an area with a merchandise tent and a food stand and then the Pearly Gates to the course opens at 8. And the new Merchandise Center is at the North Gate and can't be entered until the course gate opens at 8. Sorry for all the questions guys, thanks for your help swoosh

I am probably causing more confusion than clarity, but it sounds like there are two gates? One that opens at 7 and allows you into an area with a merchandise tent and a food stand and then the Pearly Gates to the course opens at 8. And the new Merchandise Center is at the North Gate and can't be entered until the course gate opens at 8. Sorry for all the questions guys, thanks for your help swoosh

I was there yesterday and got through the ticket entrance around 715. That got me into the range, putting green, concession, and golf/merchandise shop area. People were already exiting the golf shop with bags when I walked by it at 745. They opened access to the actual course at 8am.

Went in the North entrance today and was in the main merchandise area around 7:15. Not crowded initially but got crowded pretty quick. Took maybe 2 minutes to check out and about the same amount of time to go thru the line to have it shipped back. Waited in line for about 15 minutes before they dropped the ropes and let us on the course right at 8:00. I get the feeling that what’s “early” is different for different people. The wife and I were in line at 6:25 this morning.

For next years Wednesday patrons wanting to set chairs down for the Par 3 tournament...

I got to the Par 3 course at 8:45 after hearing rumblings that the ropes would be open at 9am. I believe the rain in the morning likely delayed the opening and they eventually dropped the ropes closer to 9:30/45. It was a brisk down to 7, which we ended up getting four seats on the rope pin high. Plenty of action and close to the concession stands. The wait was well worthwhile and set us up for several hours of great entertainment including Finau’s ace!

For next years Wednesday patrons wanting to set chairs down for the Par 3 tournament...

I got to the Par 3 course at 8:45 after hearing rumblings that the ropes would be open at 9am. I believe the rain in the morning likely delayed the opening and they eventually dropped the ropes closer to 9:30/45. It was a brisk down to 7, which we ended up getting four seats on the rope pin high. Plenty of action and close to the concession stands. The wait was well worthwhile and set us up for several hours of great entertainment including Finau’s ace!

I was sitting on your Dad's right. Did you have on a white hat with VT on the side? It was, for sure, a great day!

I was sitting on your Dad's right. Did you have on a white hat with VT on the side? It was, for sure, a great day!

For fun, last night I dug up (although I do it frequently) the video of Andy Sullivan's hole in one at the Par 3 at 5 in 2016 because I can see myself and my daughter just off to the side of the green - that's a lot more exciting than replaying footage to see if someone can hear us yelling something stupid!

I was fortunate enough to be able to attend both the Thursday and Friday rounds this week (both days were last second deals—didn’t know I was going until Tuesday). Spent some time scouring threads to get advice since this was my first time at the Masters. Suffice it to say there is a lot of good advice in this thread and on the board in general!

I don’t know that I can add much that hasn’t been said already. Getting there early was key for me, as setting up a chair first thing when the gates opened allowed me to determine what “home base” would be. We were right beside the 9th green on Thursday and along the pond on 16 for Friday. Definitely helped to have a place to rest for a while.

The longest line I saw either day was outside the main Golf Shop on Thursday morning around 9:00. Probably would have taken about half an hour to get in the door. If I had any kind of tip at all it would be to consider hitting the smaller shop at the South Gate (on the hill above 16). We went in there yesterday afternoon, and they had all of the merchandise that was in the main shop and almost no crowd.

I would also say that neither day did I notice a big rush to the Golf Shop at the end of the day; the morning seemed to be a much busier time. However, the later into the week it gets, the more they will run out of popular items. Even on Friday morning they were running out of some of the Peter Millar stuff.

The best thing is that if you are attending and have a question, ask someone working there. The overall organization and customer service reminded me of what it is like at Disney World. Every person working the tournament that I came into contact with was welcoming, friendly, and helpful.

That was us, small world! Enjoyed meeting you, hope you and your wife had a great rest of your trip.

We were there on Tuesday, and at around 7:15 AM the main merch building by the practice area had zero wait. I shopped for about 15 mins, checked out without waiting, dropped my things at the check stand without waiting, ate breakfastand was still able to queue up by the rope before they let people on the course at 8.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 2 months later...