Everyone is a big hitter on the forum

Kevinx

We are looking for some nominations for 2018 Golfwrx Jack Hamm "Hammy" Award winners.

Be on the look-out for guys who, for no reason whatsoever, mention that they carry their 3 iron 290 yards. Or post sim numbers showing how far they hit their "7" iron, when the spin is at 4k. LOL

You get the idea.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually one of my favorite discussions with other players in the clubhouse. We've had hour long discussions during rain delays about this.

The problem is that many players confuse ability with reality. And also most players are not that in tune to how golf course yardage works.

Any one not too old and in good shape with good flexibility has the ABILITY to hit a golf ball 300 yards when they are on the driving range and repeatedly swinging with their driver over and over again. But on the course when you only get 1 shot per hole with the driver that is simply not the reality.

Then there's the yardage issue. I've seen many guys pump their fists after pounding a 330 yard drive on a downhill fairway while cutting out the dogleg and going over the tress. Then a few holes later he slices his drive to the right on an uphill fairway and gets a total of 200 yards. And this process goes on for the whole round. Yet if you ask these guys how far they drive it they will say "300+ on a good day, 280 on a bad day." It's as if they completely ignore their 200 to 230 yard drives.

Averaging 300 yards and simultaneously keeping it out of the trees is the work of a pro. In reality practically every scratch golfer that's not a professional ACTUALLY averages 260 to 280 of the tee for a whole round.

And those douchebags who claim they can carry a ball 300 yards consistently on a level lie are comical.

The reality is that if you go to any golf course and watch every player play, the average driving distance in reality would be about 230

I played with a couple of college players in my day. One was #2 on his team at Mississippi State. We were warming up one day on the range and I watched him hit 10 straight drives that landed on or flew the net that was sitting at 260-270 yards. So if you factor in roll out all the drives probably exceeded 300.

Amazed I asked him what driving distance was. He said 280. I asked him how that could be when he's carrying it that far right now. He said because the driving range is slightly downhill and the field is 30 yards wider than any fairway. These kinds of numbers are not realistic when accuracy and uphill fairways and wind direction is taken into account, he finished.

This is actually one of my favorite discussions with other players in the clubhouse. We've had hour long discussions during rain delays about this.

The problem is that many players confuse ability with reality. And also most players are not that in tune to how golf course yardage works.

Any one not too old and in good shape with good flexibility has the ABILITY to hit a golf ball 300 yards when they are on the driving range and repeatedly swinging with their driver over and over again. But on the course when you only get 1 shot per hole with the driver that is simply not the reality.

Then there's the yardage issue. I've seen many guys pump their fists after pounding a 330 yard drive on a downhill fairway while cutting out the dogleg and going over the tress. Then a few holes later he slices his drive to the right on an uphill fairway and gets a total of 200 yards. And this process goes on for the whole round. Yet if you ask these guys how far they drive it they will say "300+ on a good day, 280 on a bad day." It's as if they completely ignore their 200 to 230 yard drives.

Averaging 300 yards and simultaneously keeping it out of the trees is the work of a pro. In reality practically every scratch golfer that's not a professional ACTUALLY averages 260 to 280 of the tee for a whole round.

And those douchebags who claim they can carry a ball 300 yards consistently on a level lie are comical.

The reality is that if you go to any golf course and watch every player play, the average driving distance in reality would be about 230

I played with a couple of college players in my day. One was #2 on his team at Mississippi State. We were warming up one day on the range and I watched him hit 10 straight drives that landed on or flew the net that was sitting at 260-270 yards. So if you factor in roll out all the drives probably exceeded 300.

Amazed I asked him what driving distance was. He said 280. I asked him how that could be when he's carrying it that far right now. He said because the driving range is slightly downhill and the field is 30 yards wider than any fairway. These kinds of numbers are not realistic when accuracy and uphill fairways and wind direction is taken into account, he finished.

I don’t shout it from the mountain tops, but, did you just indirectly refer to me as a douchebag?

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I don’t shout it from the mountain tops, but, did you just indirectly refer to me as a douchebag?

Are you telling me that when you average all your drives in a single round, you average 300 yards of carry? Not total yards, just carry?

Dustin Johnson's total driving distance today was 296.

Are you telling me that when you average all your drives in a single round, you average 300 yards of carry? Not total yards, just carry?

You did say consistently carry 300 and then changed it to average over a round. But since you asked, yes, and then some. Does that make me a douchebag or just comical?

Piretti Savona 

I don't shout it from the mountain tops, but, did you just indirectly refer to me as a douchebag?

You did say consistently carry 300 and then changed it to average over a round. But since you asked, yes, and then some. Does that make me a douchebag or just comical?

Nice. You just won a "Hammy".

Although there is no physical trophy for a Jack Hamm "Hammy" distance award winner, your internet driving distance is now in the record books.

Rosco's been a lot of help to people in the instruction forum, including giving me exercises and strength tips to get my swing speed back up. He's posted videos of workouts and his own swing.

Some people just honestly swing fast. It doesn't make them pros or whatever. Put me on a launch monitor right now and i'll average 280 carry over 10 swings pretty easy, and i don't swing as fast as him.

How many damn threads do we have mocking people for making "claims"....calling them douchbags? Morgan trying so hard in a couple of threads to make his "hammy" a thing

Seen a hell of a lot more of those threads than the reverse, like calling out all the jealous guys on this site who are upset that despite there being a supposed "juiced" ball that they still can't hit it more 230-240......you know what? No one cares! No one cares but you! Damn guys just go buy a friggin convertible firebird or something , rather than putting your fingers in your ears and yelling "no one hits it far because i don't LA LA LA LA LA"

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Rosco's been a lot of help to people in the instruction forum, including giving me exercises and strength tips to get my swing speed back up. He's posted videos of workouts and his own swing.

Some people just honestly swing fast. It doesn't make them pros or whatever. Put me on a launch monitor right now and i'll average 280 carry over 10 swings pretty easy, and i don't swing as fast as him.

How many damn threads do we have mocking people for making "claims"....calling them douchbags? Morgan trying so hard in a couple of threads to make his "hammy" a thing

Seen a hell of a lot more of those threads than the reverse, like calling out all the jealous guys on this site who are upset that despite there being a supposed "juiced" ball that they still can't hit it more 230-240......you know what? No one cares! No one cares but you! Damn guys just go buy a friggin convertible firebird or something , rather than putting your fingers in your ears and yelling "no one hits it far because i don't LA LA LA LA LA"

You have to admit, it's pretty hilarious when people post their distances on the internet. Ask yourself this: "Why am I posting about how many yards I can hit a golf ball?".

Think about it for a moment. We all play under different conditions. Launch monitor variations are ridiculous. (GolfBox guy can actually crush it ... and he carries it 343 yards with a Rogue, and another day he carries 295 yards with an F8. Think maybe it was calibrated differently on those two days?)

You are posting for your own vanity. It means nothing to anyone else. So keep posting if you want, but it's still funny.

PS - I can hit it farther than you.

You have to admit, it's pretty hilarious when people post their distances on the internet. Ask yourself this: "Why am I posting about how many yards I can hit a golf ball?".

Think about it for a moment. We all play under different conditions. Launch monitor variations are ridiculous. (GolfBox guy can actually crush it ... and he carries it 343 yards with a Rogue, and another day he carries 295 yards with an F8. Think maybe it was calibrated differently on those two days?)

You are posting for your own vanity. It means nothing to anyone else. So keep posting if you want, but it's still funny.

I don’t go around posting how far I hit it. When someone says douchebags who can claim to consistently carry it 300 are comical, it brought upon a response.

Guys posting stuff like “it’s funny claiming how far you can hit on the internet” or “you are posting for your own vanity, it means nothing to anyone else”.

P.S. they care or they wouldn’t start topics and make up excuses for either why they can’t or why someone who says they can are wrong.

P.S.S. I can hit it farther than you.

P.S.S.S. I’m special.

Piretti Savona 

I don't go around posting how far I hit it. When someone says douchebags who can claim to consistently carry it 300 are comical, it brought upon a response.

Guys posting stuff like "it's funny claiming how far you can hit on the internet" or "you are posting for your own vanity, it means nothing to anyone else".

P.S. they care or they wouldn't start topics and make up excuses for either why they can't or why someone who says they can are wrong.

P.S.S.S. I'm special.

Apologize if you were offended by the other guy you are arguing with about your distance claims. And admittedly, I probably went too far nominating you for a Hammy. I'm sure you are a decent dude.

Good luck with everything.

P.S.S.S.S - I wasn't the one who started the thread, and I wasn't the one who insinuated you were a douchbag. Oh, and there are several people on this site that can hit it farther than you.

I don't go around posting how far I hit it. When someone says douchebags who can claim to consistently carry it 300 are comical, it brought upon a response.

Guys posting stuff like "it's funny claiming how far you can hit on the internet" or "you are posting for your own vanity, it means nothing to anyone else".

P.S. they care or they wouldn't start topics and make up excuses for either why they can't or why someone who says they can are wrong.

P.S.S.S. I'm special.

Apologize if you were offended by the other guy you are arguing with about your distance claims. And admittedly, I probably went too far nominating you for a Hammy. I'm sure you are a decent dude.

Good luck with everything.

P.S.S.S.S - I wasn't the one who started the thread, and I wasn't the one who insinuated you were a douchbag. Oh, and there are several people on this site that can hit it farther than you.

I wasn’t offended at all. Sarcasm apparently isn’t easily noticed by some.

The other guy and i also weren’t arguing about distance.

And I know there are guys that hit it farther than me, maybe I’ll go start a thread calling them douchebags and that its comical. Especially if I were to ask them and they respond, they’d just be boasting.

Piretti Savona 

I don't think it's hilarious when people post distances on the internet when asked or when it's relevant to the thread. I find it funnier when you have a sampling that you would consider normal for a site like this, and people immediately disbelieve it or exaggerate the samplings.

As i've posted in other threads, do people exaggerate distance on the internet, i am sure many do. Do they do it for vanity as you suggest? I am sure some do

But how many posts do i read of some heroic short hitter triumphing over the cocky , always-OB long hitter, followed by some snarky remark made to him , nobody seems to think those posts are vain

As i said once, on GolfWRX, the long hitter either don't exist, or they do but always hit it OB. And they've pretty much never won a match against our band of 230yd wily iron stripers. Yet it's the only the guys who claim to hit it far who are so vain. Maybe there's vanity (and jealousy) on both sides. Maybe there's actually more on one side than the other.

If you can hit it further than me that's awesome you must really move it. I never claimed to be the longest.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don't think it's hilarious when people post distances on the internet when asked or when it's relevant to the thread. I find it funnier when you have a sampling that you would consider normal for a site like this, and people immediately disbelieve it or exaggerate the samplings.

As i've posted in other threads, do people exaggerate distance on the internet, i am sure many do. Do they do it for vanity as you suggest? I am sure some do

But how many posts do i read of some heroic short hitter triumphing over the cocky , always-OB long hitter, followed by some snarky remark made to him , nobody seems to think those posts are vain

As i said once, on GolfWRX, the long hitter either don't exist, or they do but always hit it OB. And they've pretty much never won a match against our band of 230yd wily iron stripers. Yet it's the only the guys who claim to hit it far who are so vain. Maybe there's vanity (and jealousy) on both sides. Maybe there's actually more on one side than the other.

If you can hit it further than me that's awesome you must really move it. I never claimed to be the longest.

Clearly, this is a touchy subject with you.

All the best.

Touchy is relative on the internet. Terms were used, responses were made. I'm going to go eat nachos now and watch the masters

If anyone wants to see real theatrics they can just go to Youtube, CNN or FoxNews comments sections. We are best friends compared to that

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don't quite understand why anyone would exaggerate what they can do on the Internet. They know it's not true, so what do they get out of it? Even if some folks praise their "accomplishments" they know it's hollow because what they posted isn't true.

Must be an ego thing. Fragile (egos), aren't they?

It's the same when people say their handicap is less than what it really is.

QUESTION: Which are there more of..."Vanity" (lower) handicaps or Sandbaggers?

I think there are more "Vanity" handicaps but I could be wrong. Some people see Sandbaggers everywhere.

I'll start a new thread about this... :golfer:

Back in Jan I had an opportunity to meet 8 wrx’ers counting HipCheck. I don’t hit it anywhere near 300 but half the guys were near or over that mark.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Not even talking about drives, but anyone has that one person they play with that thinks they're a longer hitter than they are? We'll get to a par 3 and its playing 192 to the pin and slightly downhill with the wind helping. I pick up a 6 iron which is my 180 club. Not extremely long and land mine hole high on the fringe. Next guy up takes a 6 iron and as well, and he's the best player in our group and hits his hole high a little left of the pin. Then you have that one person that you know can't hit a 6 iron that long, but wants to be prove that he is. He tells the group he's taking a 6 iron too and I'm thinking, he's going to be super short and sure enough, he comes up about 15 yards short of the green. This guy does it on every hole. 135 away and he's telling me its a nice easy pitching wedge and I always tell him that he's going to be short and he always is. I got on him once about that and he got upset and says that he can hit his PW 135 and I replied that I haven't seen it yet because he's been short on almost every one of his approach shots. Guys like that need to check their ego in at the first tee.

The Trackman never lies. Ask the fitter at any range and he or she will entertain you for hours about the player who says he is tour pro long and uses a tipped Whiteboard but in truth hits a weak cut with too little spin and is of double digits. I differentiate between hitting a 160 yard approach with an 8 iron....downwind on a seaside course with 20 yards of bounce and run against our club's longest hitter, whose 9 iron would pitch at 160 yards on a calm day in March. He is 6"2 and 210lbs and has a great swing. I don't.

The Trackman never lies. Ask the fitter at any range and he or she will entertain you for hours about the player who says he is tour pro long and uses a tipped Whiteboard but in truth hits a weak cut with too little spin and is of double digits. I differentiate between hitting a 160 yard approach with an 8 iron....downwind on a seaside course with 20 yards of bounce and run against our club's longest hitter, whose 9 iron would pitch at 160 yards on a calm day in March. He is 6"2 and 210lbs and has a great swing. I don't.

The Trackman never lies but sometimes it doesn't tell the whole truth either. Some days on the course I struggle to get my tee shots out there past about 250-260. Those days I hit a weak low-spin worm-burning cut low off the face, and you'd probably laugh at me for having been fit into x-flex low-spin shafts, etc. But then I go for a lesson and get on the Trackman and the first driver swing clocks at 112mph with 165mph of ballspeed and 270 carry...so what's the issue? In my case range swing isn't the same as course swing, because when I stop focusing on swing mechanics (in my case actively forcing myself to complete my turn in the backswing) and focus instead on ball contact and the target, I put a different swing on the ball and lose CHS.

All that to say that while there are some people who just don't know their distances and have ego issues, there is another category of people who know their distances very well (I own my own launch monitor...) but just fail to achieve them sometimes for whatever reason. Those people need to adjust, either by forgetting their LM yardages and instead playing for the "likely yardage" that day, or longer term by fixing their swing so they can bring the goods to the course. It can be tough to pick up a 7i from 158 yards knowing that a good strike with that club will yield 180yds of carry but also knowing that the way you're swinging that day isn't going to yield those results...but that's part of the evolution of any player--truly understanding that the scorecard has no pictures and it doesn't matter what gross low cutty mess you throw in there if it results in a good birdie look. Can be a lot easier said than done though.

The Trackman never lies but sometimes it doesn't tell the whole truth either. Some days on the course I struggle to get my tee shots out there past about 250-260. Those days I hit a weak low-spin worm-burning cut low off the face, and you'd probably laugh at me for having been fit into x-flex low-spin shafts, etc. But then I go for a lesson and get on the Trackman and the first driver swing clocks at 112mph with 165mph of ballspeed and 270 carry...so what's the issue? In my case range swing isn't the same as course swing, because when I stop focusing on swing mechanics (in my case actively forcing myself to complete my turn in the backswing) and focus instead on ball contact and the target, I put a different swing on the ball and lose CHS.

and TrackMan would also tell you that you ain't hittin' no "low spin" cut low off the face. ;)

and TrackMan would also tell you that you ain't hittin' no "low spin" cut low off the face. ;)

Trust me, this is unfortunately very very possible. Play with me sometime and I will give you a demonstration or two...unintentionally.

Trust me, this is unfortunately very very possible. Play with me sometime and I will give you a demonstration or two...unintentionally.

Trust me, your low cut has much higher spin and that is partially why you have the over 20+ yard power outage from your best strike (poor launch and loss of ball speed are other contributing factors). so, just an FYI, a drive struck low on the face = low initial launch and increased back spin. :good:

Trust me, your low cut has much higher spin and that is partially why you have the over 20+ yard power outage from your best strike (poor launch and loss of ball speed are other contributing factors). so, just an FYI, a drive struck low on the face = low initial launch and increased back spin. :good:

Sorry bud, we are getting off topic here but you are missing the point. I understand that low strikes spin more than high strikes, but you are missing the fact that when you deliver a club that is setup to deliver optimal numbers at 110mph+ with what's probably less than 105 (guessing) you aren't going to impart much spin to the ball irregardless of where on the face you make contact. I am losing more like 40+ total yards, not 20, and I guarantee you it's not because I'm spinning it too much. Low face strike leading to low launch angle, and you can literally just see the ball fall out of the sky like a knuckleball.

Like I said come play a round with me and I will absolutely prove to you that it's possible to hit a ball with low spin out of the bottom of the face when you don't have enough swing speed to load your club.

I may change my name to "The Mad Bunter" in honour of this forum.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I can’t stand it when a debate over distance constantly ends up with a reference to a PGA Tour player and his numbers. 90% of the guys on tour have no idea what a 300 yard carry looks like. Then people say things about the pro’s launch and speed numbers (which are on Trackman by the way) and at the same time tell wrx members their numbers are lies but are also on Trackman. You can’t have it both ways

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx