Switch to Nippon Modus 125 X Impressions

AHill463

Good morning everyone

I recently was fitted into Ping I200 with Nippon 125x. I was fitted for these coming from Ping I25 KBS 120 S.

The X100 and 125X gave me the best numbers but I liked the Nippon Feel over the DG X100 so i went with those. Both knocked my spin way down since i my spin was way too high with the KBS.

My question is has anyone made the transition from KBS 120 to Nippon 125X? I played DG S300's in high school and college so the Nippon are closer to that in weight. My first 3 rounds with these were on a golf trip this past weekend in MB and I played ok just taking me a little bit to get comfortable with the increase weight. Just curious is anyone else has gone through this transition.

TM M2 (2016) GD Tour AD DI 6 X
TM M1 (2016) 3 HL Aldila Rogue Silver 70 X
Ping Rapture DI with UST Proforce V2 Hybrid X
I200 4-U silver dot Nippon Modus 3 125 X
Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth SS 54 & 58 Green Dot
Bettinardi SS 3
WITB Link

Good morning everyone

I recently was fitted into Ping I200 with Nippon 125x. I was fitted for these coming from Ping I25 KBS 120 S.

The X100 and 125X gave me the best numbers but I liked the Nippon Feel over the DG X100 so i went with those. Both knocked my spin way down since i my spin was way too high with the KBS.

My question is has anyone made the transition from KBS 120 to Nippon 125X? I played DG S300's in high school and college so the Nippon are closer to that in weight. My first 3 rounds with these were on a golf trip this past weekend in MB and I played ok just taking me a little bit to get comfortable with the increase weight. Just curious is anyone else has gone through this transition.

Just switched to Nippon 125x, but came from project x 6.5. Previously played S300, X100, c taper s+ and x, and also steelfiber 125x. Had a brief time I also had a KBS tour V shaft in one of my irons. So far I'm very impressed with the Nippon, probably the best feeling iron golf shaft I've played. I might have given up about 5 or 6 yards to the steelfiber, but the steelfiber were the most inaccurate iron shafts I ever played.

I went from the Nippon 105x, 120x and Aerotech 110S to the 125x. Tried the 125x shaft for a couple of months and could not get a feel for it. Ball flight was a lot higher than the shafts mentioned above and the shaft lacked some feel that the 105 and 120 gave me. I also think the 125x plays a lot stiffer than a 105 or 120 in an x flex. After testing again the 120x or Aerotech 110s is where I will land. I get a much more penetrating lower launch with those shafts. The 120 just feels so much better to me.

I personally adored the feel of the 125x when I tried them in a backup set of Hogans I’ve got.

Problem was they were 1/2 club short, Flew higher, and spun more than my TourV 120x I was testing them against with Identical heads and lofts.

Into the wind or in a quartering wind, they were a problem for me. Loved them, but Im steep and really fight the spin.

They’re still in the basement if anyone wants them. Send me a PM.

• Like 1

I've read the Nippon 105 and 120 have the same shaft characteristics but in different weights. The Nippon 125 is a totally different animal from the 105/120 and different from the 130 (which is a heavier weighted, higher trajectory 105/120).

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

I've read the Nippon 105 and 120 have the same shaft characteristics but in different weights. The Nippon 125 is a totally different animal from the 105/120 and different from the 130 (which is a heavier weighted, higher trajectory 105/120).

I believe you're right, here's an infographic of that

modus3_105_fig03.png

The 105 and 125 have similar profiles. The 120 and 130 are unique profiles.

The graphic is indicating the 120 can vary in launch/trajectory based on player release.

http://nipponshaft.com/product/brand_modus.php

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I have a smooth transition, and I love the 130's in my CF16's. They carved some carry distance off (good thing), but more importantly they have eliminated flyers, they give more consistent carries from iron to iron, they've increased angle of decent, and they feel amazing.

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City

Thinking about going to the Modus 120 or 125. I switched from soft stepped KBS Tour X a couple years ago to S300s last year with good results, but I like both shafts. So I switched irons this year and the 4 and 5 iron ended up with AWT S which I think are a little less than 104 grams. Of course I'm now feeling more confident hitting 4 and 5 iron; but that could be shaft weight, different club head, better swing, meditation? I might just need to get fit.

I didn't care fir the feel of the modus. It's not for folks with quick transition, imo.

blogs-the-loop-stenson-snap-518.gif

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

modus3_105_fig03.png

The graphic is indicating the 120 can vary in launch/trajectory based on player release.

http://nipponshaft.c...brand_modus.php

That graphic makes me laugh every time I see it, and that's coming from a guy who really likes Nippon shafts. Literally any shaft on the market is variable depending on the person's release. They turned a "yeah, duh" comment into a widely applauded shaft for the masses. The 120 is a great(!!!!) shaft though...one of my faves.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Modus 120 and 125 are two very very different shafts

Would the 120s be similar to something like KBS C-Taper?

Not in my opinion. I have played C-Taper 120 S for a few years but got the itch to try Modus. Tried the 120X in the same heads and the Modus spun considerably more and I lost 1/2 club to full club in distance. I wanted to like them, but they didn't work for me and are not comparable to C-Tapers, in my opinion. I'm still curious about the 125X, but haven't had a chance to compare them.

TSr4 Ventus Blue Velocore TR 6x
TSr3 15* Ventus Blue Velocore TR 7x
SLDR 2 Hybrid Hzrdus Matrix Blacktie S
T100s 4-P PX 6.5
SM9 50F, 55S PX 6.5 and 60M S400
Newport

Ive hit all the modus including SPB the only one i havent is SPO. Im about 92mph with a 6i and depending on shaft im between a HS stiff and or an X stiff.

I currently game the 125X. Ive played before C Taper Stiff. S300 and X100.

Modus 105/125 are the same profile with the 125 being heavier and stiffer. They are closest to a DG profile but much better and smoother. Id also throw the SPB in here as well. Theyre slightly lower spin then the 125 but my dispersion suffered. Spb are counterbalanced the 125 and 105 arent.

Modus 130 is a higher launch super low spin shaft. Plays much stiffer to flex but doesn't feel it. Im around 92mph with a 6i and i hit the 130 Stiff with too low spin. These are basically a PX equivalent but night and day in the feel department. PX are harsh and even in a 5.5 flex dont feel good to me.

The Modus 120 is a very very unique shaft...theres really nothing else like it on the market in terms of profile. Ive hit this in Reg Stiff and X stiff. Ive never hit the TX which is said to have a slightly different profile then the rest but i dont know that forsure. Because i get aggressive in transition these do not perform for me...they load way to hard to early due to the super soft butt.

Id say C Tapers are like a mix between the 120 and 130 but the C Taper profile is much smoother then the 120 profile. The 120 profile is really weird but it just works for some people. I used to game C tapers and love them still but i hate the 120...

Hope this helps...

modus3_105_fig03.png

http://nipponshaft.c...brand_modus.php

That graphic makes me laugh every time I see it, and that's coming from a guy who really likes Nippon shafts. Literally any shaft on the market is variable depending on the person's release. They turned a "yeah, duh" comment into a widely applauded shaft for the masses. The 120 is a great(!!!!) shaft though...one of my faves.

I was thinking the same thing, lol. I imagined trying to hit a low trappy punch shot with the 130 and having the trajectory being exactly the same as above, all playing out in black and white like one of those daytime infomercial segments. :D

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Modus 120 and 125 are two very very different shafts

Would the 120s be similar to something like KBS C-Taper?

Not in my opinion. I have played C-Taper 120 S for a few years but got the itch to try Modus. Tried the 120X in the same heads and the Modus spun considerably more and I lost 1/2 club to full club in distance. I wanted to like them, but they didn't work for me and are not comparable to C-Tapers, in my opinion. I'm still curious about the 125X, but haven't had a chance to compare them.

Ive hit all the modus including SPB the only one i havent is SPO. Im about 92mph with a 6i and depending on shaft im between a HS stiff and or an X stiff.

I currently game the 125X. Ive played before C Taper Stiff. S300 and X100.

Modus 105/125 are the same profile with the 125 being heavier and stiffer. They are closest to a DG profile but much better and smoother. Id also throw the SPB in here as well. Theyre slightly lower spin then the 125 but my dispersion suffered. Spb are counterbalanced the 125 and 105 arent.

Modus 130 is a higher launch super low spin shaft. Plays much stiffer to flex but doesn't feel it. Im around 92mph with a 6i and i hit the 130 Stiff with too low spin. These are basically a PX equivalent but night and day in the feel department. PX are harsh and even in a 5.5 flex dont feel good to me.

The Modus 120 is a very very unique shaft...theres really nothing else like it on the market in terms of profile. Ive hit this in Reg Stiff and X stiff. Ive never hit the TX which is said to have a slightly different profile then the rest but i dont know that forsure. Because i get aggressive in transition these do not perform for me...they load way to hard to early due to the super soft butt.

Id say C Tapers are like a mix between the 120 and 130 but the C Taper profile is much smoother then the 120 profile. The 120 profile is really weird but it just works for some people. I used to game C tapers and love them still but i hate the 120...

Hope this helps...

Thank you very much for posting this. Modus 120 doesn't sound like it would be for me so I'll pass on that. Like you said, I've heard the 125 being more smooth than S300 which means a lot more to me now after 9 holes and a couple range sessions with my new clubs. I don't want to call them harsh, but the S300s are feeling more harsh in my new irons compared to my old set. Also, slightly lower ball flight and what seems to be a loss of distance, but I have no accurate numbers. Definitely going to order a Modus 125 S to test out. If it doesn't work, I'll be getting fit.

So far I really like the 125 S in my 7 iron. Compared to the S300 I can really feel the club head through my swing. Feels heavier and like everyone describes, smoother. I had the S300s in MP-64s for about a year and loved the mid flight I was getting. I put them in iBlades and the ball comes out way too low, feels like I have to pause/delay/accelerate my downswing to get the same flight I was getting with the MP-64s. Definitely not the case with the 125, ball flight is awesome but not sure if it was going too high (probably not). Windy day... wish I could have seen what a 4 and 5 iron would have done compared to just the 7. Might just have to get a set...

So far I really like the 125 S in my 7 iron. Compared to the S300 I can really feel the club head through my swing. Feels heavier and like everyone describes, smoother. I had the S300s in MP-64s for about a year and loved the mid flight I was getting. I put them in iBlades and the ball comes out way too low, feels like I have to pause/delay/accelerate my downswing to get the same flight I was getting with the MP-64s. Definitely not the case with the 125, ball flight is awesome but not sure if it was going too high (probably not). Windy day... wish I could have seen what a 4 and 5 iron would have done compared to just the 7. Might just have to get a set...

I first started by switching my 6 iron and comparing it. Ball flight was maybe slightly higher than the project x and steelfiber I was playing before, but the Nippon leveled off and still carried. Steelfiber for me was the longest by a few yards, but very inaccurate. Project x and Nippon 125x were the best accuracy overall and I think my mishits with the Nippon carried slightly further.

• 9 months later...

OP, I have tested and played a lot of different shafts since 2012, I hurt my back in 2016 and I've lost speed so now I'm more in a S+ range instead of an X.

~ Dynamic Gold x100 (Straight-In)

~ KBS C-Taper XS (Straight-In, 1xSS & 2xSS)

~ KBS Tour XS (Straight-In, 1xSS & 2xSS)

~ Modus 130 XS (Straight-In)

~ PX 6.5 (Straight-In)

~ PX 6.0 (Straight-In)

~ KBS C-Taper S+ (Straight-In)

~ KBS Tour S+ (Straight-In, 1xSS)

~ Modus 120 X (1xSS)

~ Modus 120 S (Straight-In)

~ Modus 125 S (Straight-In)

~ Modus 130 S (Straight-In)

~ PX 5.5 (Straight-In)

~ Dynamic Gold s400 (Straight-In)

~ Dynamic Gold s300 (Straight-In)

It sounds like you might be more sensitive to shaft weight effecting your tempo then others. With hitting that many shafts and having several in play in my bag for extended periods of time, this is what I have noticed for my own game.

~ My tempo slows down with a heavier shaft (a good thing for my quicker tempo).

~ My tempo speeds up with a lighter shafts (not a good thing and I start spraying the ball more).

“He that can have patience can have what he will.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” ~ Bobby Jones
“A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.” ~ Ben Sayers

Who offers the modus 125 as a custom option. Haven’t seen it in the few carts I have seen

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, ??

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

• 4 months later...

> @odshot68 said:

> Who offers the modus 125 as a custom option. Haven’t seen it in the few carts I have seen

Srixon does but it is an up-charge shaft

“He that can have patience can have what he will.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” ~ Bobby Jones
“A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.” ~ Ben Sayers

• 1 year later...

Blindly ordered modus 125x in wedges , what can I expect 

fav irons shafts 

DGX7 - loved them but getting to 40 they where intense , needed all out all the time effort for this guy 

ctaper - still one of my favorites, but the tips bent. PITA

Dg 100 hsx1. - good balance for me 

just not like anything in a wedge for awhile so I went left field 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I’ve hit about everything and ended up back in 125 and have been playing great ever since. 

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

On 10/1/2020 at 2:58 PM, drbonesvt said:

Blindly ordered modus 125x in wedges , what can I expect 

fav irons shafts 

DGX7 - loved them but getting to 40 they where intense , needed all out all the time effort for this guy 

ctaper - still one of my favorites, but the tips bent. PITA

Dg 100 hsx1. - good balance for me 

just not like anything in a wedge for awhile so I went left field 

Playing the 125 in Stiff in my wedges. (stock with SM7 slate blue) To me they feel and perform like a buttery smooth S400. I would think 125x is going to play like a X100 would, but feel better. 

• Like 1