P770? No love?

Kale_m

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The reason some PGA Tour players are using the "just" the long irons from the P790's are because the P790 hits knuckle balls which works fine in a long iron, but not in a mid or short iron. The last thing I want is to hit a jumper from a good lie in the fairway. The P770 is softer and it spins more so I think that is a much better option for a better player looking for forgiveness. I think that even the P790 five iron is almost unplayable for a better a player.... when I was 200 yards away hitting a 5 iron, I was scared to death of hitting over the green because I have been 205 and decided to hit a hard 5 iron that went 215 and I don't like to be scared when I have an iron in my hand..... even the P790 4 iron is more of a driving iron and not the club I want to be hitting into a green expecting it to hold.

The only place where I like the performance of the P790 is out of the fairway bunkers, but I am not going to make a decision to use a club based on that.... it is the best club I have ever used out of fairway bunkers and it is probably because it gets the ball up faster than a normal iron and the sand helps to add a more manageable amount of spin. I think if you are a scratch golfer, then you should be ruling out the P790 and playing the P770, but if you are a slow swinging 5+ handicap then sure the P790 might add to your game, but for a faster swinging "good" player I would not recommend going the P790 route and would highly recommend the P770.

need some help if possible...i love golf and try to play as often as i can in the warmer months. last september i was fitted; i had rac5's for about 13 years and decided i wanted a new set.

i was fitted and fell in love with the 790s. on a good day i shoot mid-high 80, i loved the look, and the idea that these were a step up from game improvement irons.

typically i make pretty good contact, i think i lose a lot of strokes around and on the green.

a fitting only had me hit a 6 iron- it was great. only after i received my 790s did i realize i would be hitting my 5 iron 215-220, 6iron ~200, 7 iron ~180-185, and then 8 iron 160!!! the gaps in my longer irons i could deal with but not the shorter irons.

TM is actually sending me a new set after i called customer service- hopefully there was some sort of defect in the irons, and the gapping issue is solved. but if it is not working for me, i will sell a mint 790 set and need something else.

am i good enough to play the 770s?

need some help if possible...i love golf and try to play as often as i can in the warmer months. last september i was fitted; i had rac5's for about 13 years and decided i wanted a new set.

i was fitted and fell in love with the 790s. on a good day i shoot mid-high 80, i loved the look, and the idea that these were a step up from game improvement irons.

typically i make pretty good contact, i think i lose a lot of strokes around and on the green.

a fitting only had me hit a 6 iron- it was great. only after i received my 790s did i realize i would be hitting my 5 iron 215-220, 6iron ~200, 7 iron ~180-185, and then 8 iron 160!!! the gaps in my longer irons i could deal with but not the shorter irons.

TM is actually sending me a new set after i called customer service- hopefully there was some sort of defect in the irons, and the gapping issue is solved. but if it is not working for me, i will sell a mint 790 set and need something else.

They are sending you a new set because you hit them to long?

That is the result of jacked lofts my friend

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Being a lefty, I only have but so many options. I absolutely love my P770's. I ended up going with 6-AW in P770/3-6 in P790 and don't regret it for one second. I've hit the AP2,CB,JPX Forged,X Forged,Srixon,Pings and Apex Pro. None of those gave me the feeling and consistency I was looking for. Great irons, that are very much underrated.

My set arrived yesterday and the weather was horrible with snow overnight. I will get them out tomorrow to go head to head with my 2018 X Forged. They both have the same Steelfiber shaft but Club Champion did build the X Forged to a D5 and 2 degrees strong. I really love the X Forged but being a HO this is one last head to head before I set the final bag for the season.

I wish I knew the SW of the P770's but I don't have a scale. I think they are less than D5 by at least a couple of points but that is a guess from feel only. I will see how I like them as is and then add some lead tape if needed as a temp fix. They arrived to me like new though they are used. The set was AW-6i only so I grabbed a P790 5i to gap between my 23 hybrid. We will see how that works out.

The P770 are going to have to be VERY good with my swing to kick out the X Forged. Having said that, the M3 driver beat out my 917D3 that I loved and the PING G400 and Rogue during a fitting. I hope they do win in my little head to head battle. That would mean they are VERY VERY good with my swing cause the X Forged are the best I have ever played.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I tested the 770 and the 790 and the Callaway 2018 X forged. I bought the P770. It felt the best and had the least offset. I have only been able to play one round with them but I like them and am stuck with them. The i200 and Apexes I have been playing the last two seasons are going up are going up for sale

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

yes, i know that. my issue is not necessaryly the distances, it is the gapping. i have incredibly large gaps, sometimes 20 yards between my 7i and 8i

i know the 770s have more traditional lofts, but they are 100% forged, smaller, and while im a decent player, they may be a little too much of a player iron for me. generally i hit the 790s well, but the 770s are a little different

yes, i know that. my issue is not necessaryly the distances, it is the gapping. i have incredibly large gaps, sometimes 20 yards between my 7i and 8i

i know the 770s have more traditional lofts, but they are 100% forged, smaller, and while im a decent player, they may be a little too much of a player iron for me. generally i hit the 790s well, but the 770s are a little different

Bend the lofts then to get the distances you need

Tri-hot double wide 

i think i have decided that i dont want to play distance irons, rather play a solid iron which is more traditional. can anyone provide insight into what type of player would nornally play 770s?

if people are choosing between 770s and blades, my best guess is that these are above my game.

some guidance is appreciated.

thanks

Distance irons are for those that need distance or trajectory. Blades are for those that can swing any length of club so don't need the strong lofts and can hit the middle of the face. If you don't hit the middle of the face with blades you can't repeat distances.

Players cavity backs are for those in the middle. They appreciate a little forgiveness because that helps them repeat distances which IMO is the most important step in playing to your ability.

If you can't hit a 5 iron, then you probably should not be playing blades :-)

If you don't struggle with distance or trajectory then players cavity backs may be a go for you.

If you like to hit a 9 iron when your buddies are hitting 6 irons, then distance clubs are going to make you smile!

This is all over simplified and maybe worth 2cents :-)

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

i think i have decided that i dont want to play distance irons, rather play a solid iron which is more traditional. can anyone provide insight into what type of player would nornally play 770s?

if people are choosing between 770s and blades, my best guess is that these are above my game.

some guidance is appreciated.

thanks

I could easily drop my blades and play the 770’s

But I would go 750. Just look better to me. More compact, less offset

Tri-hot double wide 

I could easily drop my blades and play the 770's

But I would go 750. Just look better to me. More compact, less offset

The 770's have a significant more amount of "meat" behind them than the 750's and are easier to hit. To me the 750's have a cavity that is more for aesthetics because they are much closer to a blade than a cavity back. There are players on tour that are combo setting the seven series and a good way to go would be 4-6 iron in 770 and 7-PW in the 750's, but I wouldn't go straight 750's because the long irons look very thin to me.

I have owned the 750, 790, and am now playing 4-PW in the 770's which I knew right away were the right choice when I went to bend them.... they are as soft as butter and bend extremely easy which tells me a lot right there. Obviously the 750's bend just as easily, but the 790's were very hard to bend and even seemed to spring back a bit after being bent because when I rechecked them, they had moved and I had to use a significant amount of force to even get them close to where I wanted. I'm a good iron player and like a lot of feel in my irons, and to me the 770's check all my boxes: 1. They look great. 2. They are soft. 3. They are Forged. 4. They have just the right amount of spin when properly struck. 5. They have great turf interaction when going through the grass.

To me, the 790's are a beaters club that have way too little spin and can jump on you very easily, even from a good lie in the fairway, when hit on the screws.... down wind they can scare the heck out of you.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I am getting the P770's dialed in but until this crazy wind quits blowing every day I play it is hard to be sure. I haven't posted a great number with them in the bag yet but they have been very good. I have made more birdies with them in the bag but I keep throwing that away with one or two stupid holes that push me to the upper 70's or 81 is my worst score with them. Of course golf is fickle but I feel like my bag is where I need it to give me a chance at some lower numbers and hopefully a couple of points drop in my HC this season.

The proof will be on the card so we will see :-)

One thing for sure, the feel of shots off of the P770 are butter!

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

p770's were a little underappreciated when they came out ... but they are very nice. Look nice, and do everything pretty well.

You could blend in p790 4 and 5 irons, possibly going 2* weak. 1/4" club length steps (rather than 1/2") would also make the gap transition a little friendlier between models.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

• 2 weeks later...

I am getting quite a few rounds under my belt with the P770's and one P790. I am way past my normal honeymoon phase and I have never been this content with a set of clubs. After bending the P770's 2 degrees strong, flight is where I want it and I am getting my distance down. I have not gone super low with them yet but still making progress. Played Peoria yesterday (6960 with 127 slope) and carded a 76. At 59 years old my longest drives will only occasionally hit 300 with my average probably 265 so it is not like I have wedges in my hands on longer par 4's. However, these irons have me close to all I can expect with my ability!

Great clubs!

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I’ve been playing P790s and I ordered a set of P770 1 degree strong 6-PW and 1 1/2 degrees weak P790 5 iron. I can’t wait to get them next week. I ordered a 6 iron to give them a try and the feel was amazing. I don’t know if they feel much softer than the 790s but I love the quote on quote turf interaction on the 770. Definitely a winner. With strengthening them by 2 degrees, are you seeing a much lower flight?

I keep going back and forth on whether to play the P770s or the P790s. I have a set of each. The P770s I ordered directly from TaylorMade with Steelfiber i95 shafts and bent 1.5 degrees strong. I get pretty much the same ball speed as with the P790s, but more spin, so the P790s give me 5 or so more yards distance. The P790s are shafted with Steelfiber i110s, so they don’t interchange exactly or I might blend them. I decided to order a 6 and 7 iron in the P790s with the same i95 shaft as the P770s. They are spec’d one half degree week. I am hoping they will blend and then I might just be able to settle on the blended set.

When my swing is on, I definitely go lower with the P770s, because with the extra spin, I can get more birdie opportunities. If I am playing a course that is really long, I can play the P790s. That’s my strategy on paper.

I really think the P770s are awesome irons, though. I got better performance head to head with the P770s than the new AP2s.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered the 790 4 and 5 irons along with the 770 in 6 to PW. 790 are coming one degree weak and the 770 one degree strong. Ordered them with PX 6.5 soft stepped once and 1/2” long, Vcords. Cant wait to get them!

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

My P770's are 4-PW, AW and were custom built with DG 120 Tour Issue S400's and since I've only played 27 holes this season due to knee surgery 10 weeks ago, and 16 PT sessions. I can honestly say that these are the best fit irons for me. So much so, that I've sold off three sets of irons already as I know I won't be looking back. I will add that I also bought a P790 UDI 2, then sold it unhit as I didn't want to try an mess with the low loft, I now have a P790 3 iron and P790 4 iron, and I'll be selling those off as well. I just find that I don't have any issues hitting the P770 4 iron, so really no need to keep any of the P790's. I did pick up a M3 Rescue over the weekend as I found it worked better for my distances.

My P770's are 4-PW, AW and were custom built with DG 120 Tour Issue S400's and since I've only played 27 holes this season due to knee surgery 10 weeks ago, and 16 PT sessions. I can honestly say that these are the best fit irons for me. So much so, that I've sold off three sets of irons already as I know I won't be looking back. I will add that I also bought a P790 UDI 2, then sold it unhit as I didn't want to try an mess with the low loft, I now have a P790 3 iron and P790 4 iron, and I'll be selling those off as well. I just find that I don't have any issues hitting the P770 4 iron, so really no need to keep any of the P790's. I did pick up a M3 Rescue over the weekend as I found it worked better for my distances.

I agree with everything you said, except the hybrid. I got rid of my all my P790's too and I actually love the P770 4 iron too, it is much more consistent in distance and holds the greens where the P790 is a rocket launcher that might be fine off the tee, but is very inconsistent with distances when hit to a green. I sent my RBZ Stage 2 hybrid, driver and 3w to Continental Golf and had them made matter black and it blew away the M3's.