Future Tour schedule

jimb6golf

We know they want to drop the playoffs to three events so somebody’s losing a big event. I doubt they want to lose the New York market and Coke isn’t giving up the Tour Championship in Atlanta so it’s Boston or the BMW. Boston doesn’t have a sponsor past 2018 as Boston always thought EMC would take sponsorship until they got bought by Dell. Dell already has a WGC event in its home market in Texas. I have heard several scenarios 1) lose Boston, 2) BMW moves to Boston market and they drop the Chicago area playoff event, 3) Boston gets in the Barclays rotation so NY and Boston share an event. I think scenario 3 is unlikely as Barclays would want to entertain NY clients. So I would bet it’s 1 or 2. Given the tour owns TPC Boston, I would lean towards 2.

BMW going to Boston makes sense. What happens to Chicago? Western Open has a lot of great history. Would be a shame if the tournament went poof, especially since Chicago is a big market.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know they want to drop the playoffs to three events so somebody’s losing a big event.
nTypically the TOUR likes to have events in the more major markets - more sponsorship and hospitality sales that way.

In 2018 there won't be any tournament in Chicago.

The PGA tour should have never let the Western Open go by way of the dinosaur. One of the oldest tournaments in professional golf and the tour let it disappear like a fart in the wind.

You, me, Jim Benepe, Jim Thorpe, Scott Verplank, and 3 others are the only ones that remembers the Western Open.

We know they want to drop the playoffs to three events so somebody’s losing a big event.
nTypically the TOUR likes to have events in the more major markets - more sponsorship and hospitality sales that way.

The PGA tour should have never let the Western Open go by way of the dinosaur. One of the oldest tournaments in professional golf and the tour let it disappear like a fart in the wind.

You, me, Jim Benepe, Jim Thorpe, Scott Verplank, and 3 others are the only ones that remembers the Western Open.

Tiger Woods and the hoardes of fans behind him during his wins there also won’t be forgotten

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

How about Sam Snead, Walter Hagen, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, and Tommy Armour (all past champions). How about besides the British Open and The U.S. Open it was the third oldest professional golf tournament. Here you go, educate yourself: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Open

Knowledge is power

Another intriguing part of that article is the potential relocation of the WGC event from Firestone to Memphis. While I'm sure that would suck for golf fans in Akron, it would allow Firestone to host an old school, high rough, tight fairways, slick greens style U.S. Open.

Akron losing the WGC would be a big hit for that city. Firestone is a great course. Moving that tournament to Memphis (to appease FedEx based in Memphis) would be a mistake. I understand they control the purse strings but the sponsors already have too much say on the PGA.

Well, there is no "would be". Memphis is getting the WGC/Akron event. Official announcement coming tomorrow....

I wonder if they'll move the WGC Memphis to May and keep it the week before the PGA.

We should get our answers on the 2019 schedule the week of the TPC.

WGC/Memphis will stay in August....

Weather is great in Memphis that time of year

Ping Vault Arna

I wonder if they'll move the WGC Memphis to May and keep it the week before the PGA.

We should get our answers on the 2019 schedule the week of the TPC.

WGC/Memphis will stay in August....

Weather is great in Memphis that time of year

LOL, yea I sense the humor, man...I lived in Memphis for most of my life(grew up literally across the street from TPC) and one thing it doesn't lack is humidity and heat in August! The pros that have never played there, especially the Euros, are going to think they are playing the Southern Hills US Open again. Although they will no doubt enjoy the many stellar BBQ joints around town...

Tough losing the Bridgestone for Akron. Even though it was a pretty vanilla course it always seemed to produce some good drama and excitement for that event. Hope they keep a tour event in Boston. Too good a city/sports market not to. But I hope to God they move away from TPC Boston, probably my least favorite track on tour. But considering you have some serious heavyweights in MA when it comes to golf courses with great architecture it would be a shame to move form that area. I know Belmont CC hosted the Senior Players a while back, so there definitely are some clubs that have the space and infrastructure to host.

• 2 weeks later...

The Valero Texas Open announced it has the week before The Masters starting in 2019.

Colonial secures future sponsorship with Charles Schwab.

A new tournament for the Detroit area may be coming to replace The National.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/report-pga-tour-close-to-returning-to-detroit-colonial-officially-secures-long-term-sponsorship

As a fellow named Robert Zimmerman (better known to the world as Bob Dylan) has said many times in song "The Times They A-Are Changin'"

So, the tour is making all these changes, and in some cases at the expense of some long-standing events and/or venues, to achieve a schedule that allows their FedEx playoffs to avoid NFL football. Fair enough -- or perhaps in some folks' minds maybe not so fair.

One thing to keep in mind is that this re-scheduling process assumes that the NFL's own schedule remains as is. Suppose for instance that the NFL decides to do such things as adding a second bye week; changing the game schedule from 16 to 18 or expanding their playoffs?

If the NFL should do any or all of these things, it would be interesting to observe the impact they may have on the PGA Tour's revised schedule.

And while the NFL has been the main reason for the upcoming changes, we should also keep a reasonably close eye on the other major team sports (MLB, NBA, NHL and NCAA Football).

There are only 52 weeks in a year. Considering the way team sports (as well as PGA Tour) have grown over the years in terms of games and playoffs, there's probably a point where the calendar just won't be big enough to hold the whole lot.

We shall see!

• 3 weeks later...

latest update from John Feinstein

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-set-to-unveil-a-drastically-altered-schedule

It's reported the Tour has given Houston until the end of the month to get it together to stay on the schedule.

If Houston does survive it would go the week before the US Open in Memphis' old spot. If not, we're off to Minnesota that week.

Detroit takes the spot where Washington is now, followed by the Quad Cities and the Canadian Open would now go before the British Open.

Washington and Boston would disappear and the Greenbrier would move to the fall.

Wouldn't surprise me if the PGA Tour dropped Boston. There's never been good support for PGA events in metro Boston - as a corporate sponsor, the Dell / Deutsche Bank event was always a tough ticket to give away. It doesn't help that the current tournament hits just as the Patriots are getting going and the Red Sox are pushing for a playoff spot. You call a client up with tickets to the Patriots opener? They're pumped. Call them and offer a VIP ticket to golf, on Labor Day weekend? Uh, no thanks.

I think you're right about the corporate side, but the tournament is really well attended from what I gather. It's just that most of the luxury boxes are empty since everyone is on the cape or islands that weekend, to your point. Really tough for client entertainment when the only weekday is the Friday of Labor Day weekend and you are looking at terrible traffic when the day is done, let alone an angry family at home.

Cannot understand why they would get rid of the Boston event. I've been every year since it was started and it is very well attended. Not to mention that the Tour owns the course and it's why the tournament was brought there after many years with no tournament in the area. I really hope they figure something out as it would be a shame to lose the tournament in the area again.

https://www.golfdige...ltered-schedule

It's reported the Tour has given Houston until the end of the month to get it together to stay on the schedule.

If Houston does survive it would go the week before the US Open in Memphis' old spot. If not, we're off to Minnesota that week.

Detroit takes the spot where Washington is now, followed by the Quad Cities and the Canadian Open would now go before the British Open.

Washington and Boston would disappear and the Greenbrier would move to the fall.

No one is going to want to be in Houston in June

This will be good for the RBC Canadian Open, moving to the week before the British. With one last chance spot for the Open, those that wish to play in North America the week before the Open, and a plane charter to get everyone to the British Open, the field should be substantially improved.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

This will be good for the RBC Canadian Open, moving to the week before the British. With one last chance spot for the Open, those that wish to play in North America the week before the Open, and a plane charter to get everyone to the British Open, the field should be substantially improved.

The John Deere has one of the worst fields in golf already doing that. I don't expect it to get much better playing the Canadian Open then.

Ping Vault Arna

Concern about one particular period in the upcoming 2018-19 schedule --

February 21-24: WGC-Mexico Championship

February 28-March 3: The Honda Classic

March 7-10: Valspar Championship

March 14-17: Arnold Palmer Invitational

March 21-24: The Players Championship

March 28-31: WGC- Dell Technologies Match Play

April 4-7: Valero Texas Open

April 11-14: The Masters 

In an eight-week period you would have five events (WGC-Mexico, Palmer, Players, WGC-Match Play, Masters), each of which are open to the Top 50 OWGR-ranked players (Top 64 for Match Play). That's asking quite a lot for those players. Meanwhile, what impact will this have on the Honda, Valspar-Tampa and Valero Texas events. Going further, what impact will this particular period have on the events played before Mexico and those played after the Masters. Also, don't forget that 3-or-4 weeks after the Masters, the PGA Championship will be played.

Not much of a chance to catch one's breath with a schedule like this!!!

In an eight-week period you would have five events (WGC-Mexico, Palmer, Players, WGC-Match Play, Masters), each of which are open to the Top 50 OWGR-ranked players (Top 64 for Match Play). That's asking quite a lot for those players. Meanwhile, what impact will this have on the Honda, Valspar-Tampa and Valero Texas events. Going further, what impact will this particular period have on the events played before Mexico and those played after the Masters. Also, don't forget that 3-or-4 weeks after the Masters, the PGA Championship will be played.

Agree with the post above 100%. Ever since the rumored changes started coming out, i knew events like the API, Valspar and Honda Classic would get boned because they were going to slide THE PLAYERS in that month somewhere. Will be very interesting to see how this unfolds in the next few years as I can see them shuffling tournaments until they get it right....

wouldn't call early june in houston unbearable (close, though), but just don't see memorial hosting a pga event ... they renovate that course to host a pga event, the green fee for the public probably doubles ... don't see them doing that ... would think keeping an event in boston is more imperative than houston ... texas already has 40 pga events, it seems like ...

Contrary to this.....was out in a sponsors event today and the Washington stop will most likely remain on the schedule as they'll likely secure a sponsor for next year

Plus, the course itself was the toughest course on tour last season in a non-major (behind Augusta). Cant see them dropping it, especially as its tied to Tiger's foundation

Agree with the post above 100%. Ever since the rumored changes started coming out, i knew events like the API, Valspar and Honda Classic would get boned because they were going to slide THE PLAYERS in that month somewhere. Will be very interesting to see how this unfolds in the next few years as I can see them shuffling tournaments until they get it right....

The Players was previously held in March through 2006. The other Florida events did fine then and likely still will.

Feinstein lists the order as

FEB 21-24 WGC Mexico

FEB 28-MAR 3 Honda

MAR 7-10 Bay Hill

MAR 14-17 Players Championship (finale up against the NCAA Tournament bracket announcement)

MAR 21-24 Valspar (NCAA Basketball first two rounds)

MAR 27-31 WGC Match Play (Sweet 16 weekend, baseball opening weekend)

APR 4-7 Texas Open (Final 4 weekend)

APR 11-14 Masters

Earlier reports had the Canadian Open moving into the Memphis spot the week before the US Open to try to get a better field.

The Players was previously held in March through 2006. The other Florida events did fine then and likely still will.

It was a different set of circumstances regarding the same general period on the 2006 PGA Tour Schedule. Then, there was only the WGC Match Play, the Players and the Masters. The Palmer in 2006 didn't have the large purse and 3-season exempt status that it does now, so in some respects it was on the same level with Doral, Honda and Atlanta. Sure, all those events did well then -- but now how will Honda, Tampa and Texas fare in 2019 and beyond? That is the question !

John Feinstein of Golf Digest and others are reporting that the 18/19 schedule is done with the exception of the week before the U.S. Open.

Houston needs to sign a long term sponsor by June 1 to keep their city on tour. They would get the week before the U.S. Open. If they don't, that slot is going to Minneapolis with 3M as the sponsor. Their Champions Tour event would then drop off that schedule.

The other option being floated, which might be the best for all parties, is to give the June slot to Minneapolis and include Houston in the Fall schedule as that works better from a weather perspective. (Average Houston high that week in June is 91*. No thanks.)

Will have to wait and see what happens.

John Feinstein of Golf Digest and others are reporting that the 18/19 schedule is done with the exception of the week before the U.S. Open.

Houston needs to sign a long term sponsor by June 1 to keep their city on tour. They would get the week before the U.S. Open. If they don't, that slot is going to Minneapolis with 3M as the sponsor. Their Champions Tour event would then drop off that schedule.

The other option being floated, which might be the best for all parties, is to give the June slot to Minneapolis and include Houston in the Fall schedule as that works better from a weather perspective. (Average Houston high that week in June is 91*. No thanks.)

Will have to wait and see what happens.

Glad Houston Astros owner Jim Crane is involved in trying to work out something for Houston, but it's a tough ask for such a short period of time. Losing Shell as a sponsor is bad enough, but also losing the spot the week before the Masters, which pulled in top tier Tour players, and now losing the venue is a bad combo.

You're right about the heat/humidity - it's just the middle of May and it's already 93*. Would hate to lose this tournament after 72 years. *crosses fingers*

That tournament will be absolute torture for players and fans. I've been to a 90ish degree day at the Shell Houston Open a few years ago and I can't imagine 4 days of that.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8