2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Dave D's swing thread - Pg 39 new putter & swing update 9th April

Dave D

But then my current set are MOI matched, using lead tape to alter the head weights, if I'm going to get that done would I be best having the SCs as the MBs wouldn't look as good with lead tape on anyway, decisions decisions

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Iron fitting

The vast improvement in my driving accuracy since being fitted for the M2 had given me a nagging itch with my irons, obviously my game, swing and technology has changed a lot in 5 years since I got my x forged. I have loved my x forged and they have done me well so if I couldn't see an improvement I wouldn't switch. Going into the fitting there were a couple of issues I was looking to address if I were to make the jump and change irons.

The issues were: firstly, distance control - not sure if this was head or shaft related (pxi 6.0) but I have the ability with my irons to nut one 8 to 10 yards further, strike feels similar just out the blue flies long. My 6 iron is normally about 186 carry, but occasionally I can get one going 200. Secondly, trying to minimize my misses, over draw and high block cut. The latter showing up a lot on 3/4 shots where I do feel the club can feel a bit light.

My irons were 3/4" long and 4* flat, pxi 6.0 shafts.

On first inspection we found that my clubs were just over an inch over std, and my 6 iron was a degree strong. I hit 4 with my own 6 iron absolutely flush, averaging 195 carry, with about a 10 yard draw, although due to aiming averaged finish 4.9 yards left of target, the bar had been set pretty high. But 1 of issues was shown in this, I hit them all very well, but there was a 10 yard gap in carry.

Fitter had me hit 3 balls with the Mizuno D.N.A club, which is a genius piece of equipment.

27197721208_550e7b164e_b.jpg

This recommended 3 shafts, KBS Tour S, Project X 6.0 and Dynamic Gold AMT.

All shots were hit with a 6 iron. We tried the KBS first in the SC and MB head. I didn't like the feel of the KBS and it kept feeling like I was striking it high on the face. We then tried project x 6.0 again in both. Liked this shaft better, which I was expecting to as I've had project x for years and my wood shafts are made by them too. With both shafts I preferred the MB head, and the numbers were better with the MB head. I really preferred the look of the MB head and the smaller head actually suits my eye better. I prefer looking at a smaller head, I almost find it focuses myself more to hit it out the screws, could also be due to learning the game with some really old small blades.

Next was the Dynamic Gold AMT S300, I preferred the feel of this to the others but the numbers weren't quite as good as the project x. He then suggest I tried the X100. The result was absolute lasers, lovely penetrating flight, improved carry on the other shafts and super tight dispersion. As you can see from the pictures below the dispersion for 4 measured shots was 1.1L, 0.8L, 0.6R & 1.2 yards left. Wow.

We then tried the c tapers and they weren't too my liking. Hit a few more with the S300 and X100 but the X was the definite winner for me. It felt noticeably stiffer than my gamers but not too stiff and heavy. Often when I try extra stiff and heavy shafts I end up feeling like I have to swing super fast to be able to hit it. Not with these. The distance control was also super consistent, 1 shot recorded was a real mis hit, but the others and a lot of shots after were all 188-193 carry.

27176863268_08622a4dd8_h.jpg

41048372921_8458326b8b_h.jpg

So I have on order 5-PW Mizuno MP 18 Blades with Dynamic Gold X100 shafts, 1/2" long 3* flat. Will order a 4 iron too at somepoint but would like to try the fli-hi, which they didn't have. I find my 24* callaway utility very handy and does get through the rough a bit easier so keen to keep a club that would perform similarly.

Very excited and hope they work out when they arrive, if nothing else my bag will look super scratch now

41069518781_c3026a1fe7_b.jpg

I've also got a 50* MD3 coming to replace my rather worn gap wedge, and also got a mack daddy forged 60* coming. Very picky about the grind on my lob wedge, I like a very low leading edge and am fairly shallow. I tried a vokey M grind out and didn't like it. Apparently the R grind on the new forged is similar to the C grind on the old forged which I have. Wedges should be here tomorrow so will try them out when I play Friday.

We have the same specs dave! Congrats on the new sticks. They're beautiful.

All the best have x100 :D

Cheers, can't wait to get them now, sadly with easter and having 2 bank holidays that will delay them even more!

We have the same specs dave! Congrats on the new sticks. They're beautiful.

All the best have x100 :D

Cheers, can't wait to get them now, sadly with easter and having 2 bank holidays that will delay them even more!

X100, +.5", 3° flat. No other way to go

oh I didn't realise EXACTLY the same, we must be good.

Confirmed x100 scratch look bag here. All that matters.

:D

First time in about 2 months I was due to be playing golf today, and it's f*#cking snowing! Bloody England.

Good luck Sunday in Watson trophy at Dartford Golf Club

It’s my home club so hope to get up there to watch

Very wet there at the moment

Strong field

Short course but tight

Small greens so need to be on top of short game

We had to play our match as it's a national competition and had to be done by yesterday. We won the match 2 & 1 at a golf course I'd never played before. Hitting and finding shots wasn't an issue, some of the greens to putt on were very "interesting". Was concerned with how I'd hit it given the little time I'd had to try and implement the changes/feels. 1st hole I knocked driver pin high on the fringe, which I was rather happy with given it was 0*c with a feels like temperature of -6*. I hit the ball solid all match, driver especially, which has become the norm since getting my M2.

Was a tough match and fairly even all the way until I hit it to a foot on 16 for gimmie birdie and then nearly had a hole in one on 17, landing 3 inches past the right edge of the cup and stopping 2 feet away. 2 & 1 win.

Overall very happy with how the swing felt given the first round in over 2 months. Onwards and upwards as the weather hopefully picks up. Got a county competition for all the club champions on sunday 1st which is my next event.

Good luck Sunday in Watson trophy at Dartford Golf Club

It's my home club so hope to get up there to watch

Very wet there at the moment

Strong field

Short course but tight

Small greens so need to be on top of short game

Thank you, yeah imagine everywhere is pretty drenched right now. Played yesterday morning at Hever and it was quite soggy, then we obviously had all that rain yesterday afternoon and evening. Is the course likely to be open with even more rain?

yeah it is fairly tight isn't it, tough opening hole too. Will maybe see you up there then.

Shot 73 (+4), not a bad score for first tournament in months but oh what could've been, my putting was awful....

Not sure I've ever driven the ball so well, I had 10 birdie putts inside 15 feet, of which at least half were 5-8 feet and didn't make 1 of them. On top of that 3 of the 4 bogeys I made were all missed putts 4-8 feet. the other I lipped out a 20 footer for par. Just a really draining mentally tough round when you putt that badly.

An example of how my day went, 8th hole, missed 6 ft for birdie, 9th hole - missed 10 footer for birdie, 10th - missed 5ft for birdie, 11th missed 8 ft for birdie, 12th par 5 missed 5 ft for birdie, 13th, 2 putt par from 35ft, 14th missed 6 ft for birdie, 15, land a wedge past the flag and spin it back off the front, average chip to 6ft, missed putt bogey.

I honestly felt like snapping my putter and tried my best to control my emotions, a half decent putter would've been at least 3 under through that stretch and instead I was 1 over! Very infuriating. obviously I hit some bad putts but some were unlucky and it was one of those days, but still not good enough.

But you learn from every round and I learnt I'm awesome with my driver and wedges and sh*T with a putter :D

Played a lovely course called The Oxfordshire on Saturday, very impressed with it. A wonderful championship layout with not a bad hole on the course. Reminded me a lot of The London Club.

We teed off at 3pm and only cost us £30 which seemed like daylight robbery considering how good it is and the impressive condition it was in. 2 of the holes had some serious water in play.

8th hole was 313 yards dog leg right, with a narrow bit of fairway to lay up into before the hole turns at almost a right angle towards the green. We were on a slightly forward tee box and the carry only measured 275 so obviously I went for it, landed safely on dry land.

View from the green back to the tee box:

40651902014_895d3aa854_k.jpg

The 11th is a par 5 which really tests your resolve, basically don't go right!

40651902094_5f3d647255_k.jpg

I putted with the spider tour on the front 9 and was again very poor. I switched back to my Odyssey Protype (yes I've been putting that bad I took 2 putters with me :lol:), I made a real conscious effort to go full Brad Faxon, to free myself and my stroke up, react to the target and as soon as my eyes get back to the ball start the stroke.

I putted so much better. Actually started converting some birdie putts and was a couple under for the back. Spider tour is now up for sale on ebay.

In other news, I just got a phone call to say my new irons have arrived! Very excited and can't wait to finish work and go pick them up, I can see now why Schnee gets new stuff every month :D

Glad to hear you enjoyed The Oxfordshire. I've looked at it a few times and contemplated a stay and play there but haven't booked it yet, looks good.

I have only good things to say about it, me and my friends will definitely look into playing there again in the summertime it was that nice.

I was reading your putting woes and was thinking of that faxon video. It really helps.

[media=]

[/media]

Obviously nothing helps more than a nice $400 Scotty Cameron or other expensive putter. Maybe some custom paint for better Stokes gained.

instinctive golf- def works and I went to a PGA Pro who teaches this throughout the game

I was reading your putting woes and was thinking of that faxon video. It really helps.

[media=]

[/media]

Obviously nothing helps more than a nice $400 Scotty Cameron or other expensive putter. Maybe some custom paint for better Stokes gained.

Another brilliant video of him explaining it.

My baby boy is due in less than 2 weeks so may have to treat myself to something lovely with stampings

41383228051_ca3bcb6258_k.jpg

41383227871_ca2d6faf9a_k.jpg

26512680347_e971943832_k.jpg

27513135818_ae10561b93_k.jpg

40669363254_2900275a07_k.jpg

27513140338_12066bc6f5_k.jpg

26512685337_de398c9f0c_k.jpg

40669364874_d657b8f576_k.jpg

26512677617_8b33c2d6c6_k.jpg

39573948760_0821c12cb5_k.jpg

Nice sticks Dave! I got to see these in person yesterday, along with the 790s. These are my top 2 picks for my bag, but it was hard to put the MPs back on the rack.

thanks. yes that's how they first got me, they are so beautiful

A baby boy you say? Congratulations and good luck. As for the golf, just try and keep things in perspective

thank you very much, yeah a boy, all very exciting.

Since ordering my irons I've also been on the look out for new wedges, after trying SM7s and MD4s I was finally able to see in person the Mizuno T7 wedges. I'd chatted to Drew (Drewtaylor21) about them especially about the grinds and he was spot on.

I love how the 50* looks like my MP 18 PW, and that shape then gets progressively bigger as the lofts increase. I love how straight the leading edge is and how it sits on the 50 & 54. I didn't get to hit the 60* out of sand but laying the face open and hitting high shots with it I think it will suit me nicely.

reviewaddressloft.jpg

So 3 wedges now on order in white satin :D

Oh and a new taylormade cart bag coming in charcoal and lime so it ties in with the headcovers.

PRO-CART-GREEN.jpg