2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Don't Bump

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Important question in my mind....are GGs students getting bad info that leads to suboptimal swings? Or is it false information but leads to good results (truth vs metaphorical truth)

I personally couldn't care less what instructors teach for feels. I get bothered when they say certain things happen that contradict all known 3D data and/or misrepresent what other people are teaching. The video in the op is a pretty gross misrepresentation of the AMG guys stuff as far as I am concerned.

Again..the question isn’t what pros do anymore..it’s what they or we should be doing to get even better.

Fwp or whoever please correct me if I’m wrong. It seems the “bump” is just a way to get low point forward and (initial AMG hand drop) to keep the hand from going too far forward toward the target line on the downswing.

Gg and I’m going to include Dana. Seem to think it’s better to have deeper hands and rotate almost immediately (because they believe the shallower the better?)

Again..the question isn’t what pros do anymore..it’s what they or we should be doing to get even better.

Fwp or whoever please correct me if I’m wrong. It seems the “bump” is just a way to get low point forward and (initial AMG hand drop) to keep the hand from going too far forward toward the target line on the downswing.

Gg and I’m going to include Dana. Seem to think it’s better to have deeper hands and rotate almost immediately (because they believe the shallower the better?)

That's your question.

AMG just presents measurements with a sample of your players using Gears and pressure plates.

Gankas presents his theory.

There are many theories out there.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

It's a shot at AMG but it's an uneducated shot. There is a difference in lateral motion and a "bump". Body absolutely moves laterally and it does it without the lower running out from under it while keeping the left hip low in transition. He is fighting a straw man if his own creation.

What's the difference between a lateral move a la AMG and the bump shown by GG?

In a correct lateral move the center of the rib cage is in front of the center of the pelvis until just after lead arm parallel and the left hip stays below the rightnuntil the hands are hip high. That all happens while the entire body shifts forward about 3-4 inches.

There is more than one way to move, none being more "correct" than the other.

By correct I mean what good tour players do. Every tour player moves laterally before they rotate

Can you post a caddy-view picture with a lateral move showing that relationship between center of rib cage and center of pelvis when lead arm is parallel?

3D view of movement you are asking about. If you stop it and step through you'll find that the pro in the video at p5 has his ribcage 4.3 inches closer to the target and his pelvis 3.4 inches - at impact these go to 2.4 and 3.6 - so he actually moves his ribcage back between p5 and impact while keeping his pelvis the same distance. And at the top he has moved both ribcage and pelvis 2.0 inches closer to the target so that additional 1-2 inches he moves closer thru transition is that "fall" feel that actually starts at the end of the backswing.

[media=]

[/media]

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

All that lateral movement seems like it's setup by how you move your body on the backswing. I had to go to feeling like my hips slide away from target and really felt tilted over towards target and the fall kinda happens on it's on from there.

Yes, I feel the "fall" start right at the end of the backswing when I sense my shoulder moving kinda down and toward the target. The AMG guys' short step drill really gives this feel of the upper body fall to start.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Again..the question isn't what pros do anymore..it's what they or we should be doing to get even better.

Fwp or whoever please correct me if I'm wrong. It seems the "bump" is just a way to get low point forward and (initial AMG hand drop) to keep the hand from going too far forward toward the target line on the downswing.

Gg and I'm going to include Dana. Seem to think it's better to have deeper hands and rotate almost immediately (because they believe the shallower the better?)

Would need to see 3D of a number of GG players to really know what they are doing and how it's differs from current tour swings. How one would tell if this gives a mechanical advantage to hitting the ball better is going to take smarter people than me. lol.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

This guy is someone I just loathe. The flat bill hat, yo what up intro.....the way he treated a member here (there was a thread I think)....

BUT

Dammit if I just tried out his feel thing with a driver and 6i and it really resonated with me. Gonna have a co-worker shoot some video of me.

I hate this game.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

One thing that has hurt the golf instruction industry for years, and why I believe we lost so many players, is that you go to different teachers and instead of working with what you have they teach you their theory. I could care less about theories. Data becomes fact and throws theory out the window. The AMG view is refreshing in that it is backed up by data and not some guy guessing. Some in the thread said AMG bases their data on a few players. I don't believe that is correct. Between Granato, Hamilton, and Shaun they have access to plenty of players.

GG has some really good stuff in pretty much all he teaches including the pivot but there are some little things in pivot that I don't think are mandatory which make is much harder for the average person to learn. I'm sure he's got his reasons for them and they are feels but it's also refreshing to see AMG putting out what the tour pro's are actually doing.

All that lateral movement seems like it's setup by how you move your body on the backswing. I had to go to feeling like my hips slide away from target and really felt tilted over towards target and the fall kinda happens on it's on from there.

Yes, I feel the "fall" start right at the end of the backswing when I sense my shoulder moving kinda down and toward the target. The AMG guys' short step drill really gives this feel of the upper body fall to start.

FortWorthPro helped me with what I explained above. I sent him a video and he was like just feel this and this. Works great.

To clarify:

AMG says the hips go forward 4-5 inches but the torso does NOT hang back.

But they don't believe the solution to fix this is to be taught to hang back with both the upper and lower body (GG).

This is where I disagree with AMG. For an exaggeration feel, hanging back on both might help you from keeping the torso from hanging back and you might still naturally move forward.

Solutions don't do the same thing for everyone. Having someone try something might yield 2 or more different results for different people.

But most agree that bumping generally makes the torso hang back...but maybe not for everybody.

Golf is weird like that.

I've been interested at the responses here because I really like a lot of what the AMG guys talk about. Just took an online lesson with Mike and really liked the way they structure their online stuff.

Sucks that Mike doesn't log on to wrx anymore. Not sure if Shaun or the other guys ever had profiles.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

To clarify:

AMG says the hips go forward 4-5 inches but the torso does NOT hang back.

But they don't believe the solution to fix this is to be taught to hang back with both the upper and lower body (GG).

This is where I disagree with AMG. For an exaggeration feel, hanging back on both might help you from keeping the torso from hanging back and you might still naturally move forward.

Solutions don't do the same thing for everyone. Having someone try something might yield 2 or more different results for different people.

But most agree that bumping generally makes the torso hang back...but maybe not for everybody.

Golf is weird like that.

A little more diplomatic here than on Instagram Jordan.

Just a thought: If you try too hard t hold your torso static, is´nt there a risk for a reverse pivot? In the videos posted in this tread, you can not see any "reversed K", which, in my World, is something desirable.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Common sense to me is that the bump is to feed the lead hip to the lead leg in flexion to be propelled away from the target line by lead leg extension thus turning the pelvis. Optimal leverage is when the lead hip joint is in line with the extending force and the pelvis is perpendicular to the extending force (neither in ER or IR).

Again..the question isn't what pros do anymore..it's what they or we should be doing to get even better.

Fwp or whoever please correct me if I'm wrong. It seems the "bump" is just a way to get low point forward and (initial AMG hand drop) to keep the hand from going too far forward toward the target line on the downswing.

Gg and I'm going to include Dana. Seem to think it's better to have deeper hands and rotate almost immediately (because they believe the shallower the better?)

That's your question.

AMG just presents measurements with a sample of your players using Gears and pressure plates.

They make videos rambling about nothing never really gettting a point a cross and horrible demonstrations. No idea how anyone gets anything from any of their videos...

That's your question.

They make videos rambling about nothing never really gettting a point a cross and horrible demonstrations. No idea how anyone gets anything from any of their videos...

No idea how you've watched their videos and have that take. Different strokes I guess.

I think the normal rules apply here unless you are a golfer who films and understands his/her own swing watching AMG videos can be damaging as can GG stuff. A spinner could get in serious trouble with the gankas pivot and a slider the same with AMG. As feel is not real you actually need to see what you are actually doing.

I like watching GG Instagram posts and enjoy reading about the swing, but is it just me, or is everything getting too complicated. What happened to turn back and turn through?

They're trying to show you their unique swing. You need those details, can't mix and match stuff from different instructors.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash