Sunday/ Pencil bags

Clabes7

Hi,

I'm looking to get a sunday bag and have been looking at the Ping moonlite and Callaway hyperlite 1. My only concern was that I've heard some people have got some shaft damage especially with graphite shafts, is this the case or is there no difference compared to a regular stand bag? Also anybody that has one of the above have you had any problems?

Thanks

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have played Sunday bags for the last 15 years or so. I've seen no noticeable injury to any club or shaft with any bag. My latest is a Jones, a good retro bag. Sun Mountain made an X-strap Sunday bag, that I used as a single strap. I bought it in 2012, still quite usable after five years of heavy use.

Can't comment on the bags you mention.

Sunday bags aren't as big as regular bags, ideal for a minimalist like me, who plays a max of 7 clubs. (I'd say that 10 clubs would work well.) I find that picking up the strap with the club you just hit, eliminates the need for bending or a stand bag.

I play a lot of golf using 6-8 clubs and I've used a Moonlite which works well unless you play early mornings (dew) or after rain. Since it lays down on the ground my back, bottoms and legs get wet from the water that "follows" the bag up. Under dry conditions it work like a charm. To avoid this inconvenience (I play a lot of early mornings due to small children) I picked up a https://www.carlsgolfland.com/mizuno-comp-stand-bag-2016 A truly awesome bag for a reasonable price.

I have grown obsessed with sunday bags for the last few years and have trouble finding a perfect one. I tried a nike half carry bag that I really liked. Next up was the Moonlite. It worked well, but seemed a little heavy and cumbersome. It was also too long and my clubs barely reached the bottom of the bag. Then went with a 2016 Titleist lightweight (not the premium version). I added a second strap to it and loved it, but then the shaft dividers wore apart in 10 months and I got my money back. I replaced it with a Mizuno Scratch Sac. It has a little more structure to it, but the strap system was awful. I remade the straps and it's working well so far. I carry 8 clubs and I'm thinking about adding 2-3 more. I'm worried the mizuno will not handle 10-11 clubs very well, because it has a small opening with four dividers (!). My opinion is that it would work better with 2 dividers. I also have a Jones Players bag on the radar. It's a little more minimalist than the regular Jones bag and has 2 dividers instead of 3. My friend has the players bag and carries 14 clubs with no problem.

WITB - Persimmon, Rust, Wool, and Lead

I carried a full set of clubs in a Ping Mantis for years! I retired the bag after it was beyond expired. The bag was about 20 years old and endured countless rounds of golf. If I find another one in good condition I will probably buy it.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

If you can find one I love the older Titleist premium carry, I carry 12 clubs, 12 balls, range finder, and a tee bag full of junk. It has become my Goto bag, use it about 90% of rounds. I have the ultra lite h2no and a 2.5.both sit in the closet but I do pull out the h2no when I know it’s going to rain or I travel.

I play a lot of golf using 6-8 clubs and I've used a Moonlite which works well unless you play early mornings (dew) or after rain. Since it lays down on the ground my back, bottoms and legs get wet from the water that "follows" the bag up. Under dry conditions it work like a charm. To avoid this inconvenience (I play a lot of early mornings due to small children) I picked up a https://www.carlsgol...-stand-bag-2016 A truly awesome bag for a reasonable price.

I'm a fan of the Moonlite as well, provided you keep it down to 11 or 12 clubs - 14 starts getting pretty cluttered. I found I was always carrying the Moonlite using the main strap so I just removed the other one. Like the way the strap stands up when you lay the bag down. But yes, its not optimal in wet weather or even early morning with dew on the ground.

As an alternative to the bag linked by Gladan, Mizuno has a new sunday bag out for 2018, the BR-D2, which has really short legs (like 6") just to keep the bag elevated off the ground. I think they've kept the weight around 3 lb. and its $99.

Been thinking about picking up a Sunday bag to use to carry clubs to the driving range. I have a cart bag and a stand bag. The cart bag holds my current set up and the stand bag holds all my extra clubs. When I go to the range I like to take the cart bag, so I have to switch over the clubs. I am thinking with a Sunday bag I can just shove a couple of clubs into the bag and be on the way. Not looking for anything fancy. Something cheap that will do the job.

Mine is a Samsonite Driving Range bag, no longer available but maybe you can find something similar. Holds 5-6 clubs, enough padding that shaft damage isn't an issue. One of the best golf accessories I own.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

• 2 weeks later...

A cheap sunday bag I have seen is the RJ sports typhoon stand bag.

These are the highlighted features according to RJ sports website

• 5 Way Divided Top, Weight 3.7 lbs
  • Tee Holders
  • Comfortable Dual Harness Strap
  • 4 Easy Access Pockets
  • Rain Hood

It can be bought at e bags, $48.75 now and I believe still 12% back on ebates. Free shipping over $49, they do charge tax.

• 1 month later...

I use Mizuno Scratch Sac.

As this has a spine, it does hold the shape of the bag rather well.

Good pockets for accessories, and water bottle, etc.

Driver: Titleist 917D2 9.5'

3 Wood: TaylorMade BRNR 13.5'

5 & 7 Woods: Mizuno ST-X 18' & 21'
Irons (5-PW): Titlleist T200/T100S/T100
G Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM8 50M

S Wedge: Mizuno JPX 919 55'
PutterToulon Garage Chicago H1

• 2 months later...

My wife and I play golf, but usually when we travel (cos HK is mega$ for very average golf).

I'm interested in getting a couple of small bags that I can put 7 clubs in each and that are robust enough to survive (or make sure my clubs survive) being transported in a standard golf flight bag (i.e. 2 bags into one carrier). I don't want to carry 2 cart bags about on a 2 week holiday as well as the usual holiday suitcases.

Has anyone done this and what bag would you recommend?

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

My wife and I play golf, but usually when we travel (cos HK is mega$ for very average golf).

I'm interested in getting a couple of small bags that I can put 7 clubs in each and that are robust enough to survive (or make sure my clubs survive) being transported in a standard golf flight bag (i.e. 2 bags into one carrier). I don't want to carry 2 cart bags about on a 2 week holiday as well as the usual holiday suitcases.

One possibility is to put 7 clubs for each of you (14 total) into a normal bag and then borrow or buy some sort of really basic bag to split 7 of the clubs out into while you're there.

e01c5ba1695717ed8d8398f59b232a67.jpg

I have used. Bag similar to this for years. Just look up ping Sunday bags single strap. I carry all 14 sticks with no problems

That bag looks like one I bought some years ago, in a thrift shop for $3. It was filled with balls, headcovers, and other junk, which the lady said I could have. Upon taking all the junk out of the bag, I found a change purse with around $4 in it. Made a buck on the deal.

I use the bag when I play my ancient Karsten 2's, and laminated Ping woods. Bag dates from the 1980's, I believe.

One possibility is to put 7 clubs for each of you (14 total) into a normal bag and then borrow or buy some sort of really basic bag to split 7 of the clubs out into while you're there.

Bring each of your drivers, putters, and favorite wedge or two. Than add half your irons (odds or evens). That will be 14-16 clubs in a regular golf bag then stuff another sunday bag in there like a Ping Moonlite. Youll have the clubs you use the most and be ready to go - done this a few times.

Bring each of your drivers, putters, and favorite wedge or two. Than add half your irons (odds or evens). That will be 14-16 clubs in a regular golf bag then stuff another sunday bag in there like a Ping Moonlite. Youll have the clubs you use the most and be ready to go - done this a few times.

I own a Ping Moonlight bag. Among its other benefits, it folds in half and flat (when there are no clubs in it, of course).

Not many golf bags fold in half!

So, among the many options available to you and to your wife when travelling together: Just fold an empty Moonlight bag in half and throw it into your suitcase along with your clothes. Take it out at destination and fill it with your favourite 7 clubs, or whatever.

e01c5ba1695717ed8d8398f59b232a67.jpg

I have used. Bag similar to this for years. Just look up ping Sunday bags single strap. I carry all 14 sticks with no problems

That bag looks like one I bought some years ago, in a thrift shop for $3. It was filled with balls, headcovers, and other junk, which the lady said I could have. Upon taking all the junk out of the bag, I found a change purse with around $4 in it. Made a buck on the deal.

I use the bag when I play my ancient Karsten 2's, and laminated Ping woods. Bag dates from the 1980's, I believe.

Yes the Ping Bags with the softer shiny fabric (like this one) are great finds.

I have Two others like this a black and a red, but they have a firmer fabric.

Other Bags I have been using to carry a full set with no issues. Jones Original

And a black and a blue pencil style bag. They do not have a manufacture name on them. But they look just like the Titleist Sunday bags. A full set fits in fine. 039d71a43c6d39030e31cca4ee6475a7.jpg09e95667d92597717fd8e31c8c0a9f3c.jpg

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

We do this exact thing, just got back from a trip to Cabo and everything worked great. We have a Ping Hoofer and a Ping Moonlite bag. I pack all 28 clubs in the Hoofer wrap a few towels around the heads, then slide the empty Moonlite right beside it and zip up the travel cover. Both bags, all the clubs, in one travel cover. Works awesome! We usually just have to pack a ziploc bag of balls and put that in a carry on or the other suitcase, to keep weight down. But I have done this several times with no issue.

Ping G400 Driver
Ping G400 3 Wood
Adams Pro Black 3 Hybrid
Ping I200 4-9 Irons
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/56/60
Scotty Cameron GOLO

Yeah a couple of Titleist or Ping Sunday bags will work great. Then I let my wife pick out her 7 and I pick out mine. We have done this when traveling. Luckily never had broken clubs. Just put some towels around the heads and bags if you can. It all worked out for us

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Odyssey WH PRO 7
-----------------------------------------

Take the head off your driver if its removable. Or stick the heads of your woods upside down inside the bag.

Just had an airline snap two heads off a member's woods.

Airline claims no responsibility if it's a soft bag without a hard case.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

I use one of these Pitch-and-Putt pencil stand bags for 6 clubs and it's great for walking... I replaced the strap with a padded TravelPro briefcase strap and it's about the only way I can walk my home course for 18 (extremely hilly and a few long stretches between holes make full bag or push-cart difficult). Storage will hold a few tees and maybe 6-8 balls, and the elastic string will hold a water bottle. I found mine for ~$10 at a local Bargain Hunt, but it's worth the $34 price on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IS79LP2/

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]