Best Rain gear

chbrake

From a greenskeeper in Oregon, Galvin Green is the best I have tried so far. Nike's stuff starts out good but when it stops being waterproof you are hating life and you never know when that is gonna be.

Adidas and FJ make decent light or drizzle rain gear, but when the heavy stuff comes down I want GG or ZR. They both are better than my Columbia gear.

But there are some days only the fishing rubbers will do and those days stink no matter what you are wearing (mine is Grunden).

EDIT... I got my GG set on sale from Golf Poser for about $390.

The voice of experience.

I'm in the market for some new rain gear. Who has what and what do you like/don't like about it? Thanks for the help!

Clint

http://www.news1130.com/2016/01/26/waterproof-outdoor-gear-cancer-chemicals-greenpeace/

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

Adding to my Galvin Green to Kjus conversion. Along with the Dexter models I have referred to above, I've also recently added a more "traditional" 3-layer Kjus model, the "Pro 3L" to my collection and tested it a few times in some rain..particularly this past weekend. A freaking downpour (about 2 inches of rainfall in a few hours) on Sunday. The Kjus Pro 3L jackets and PX5 ProQuip rainpants. The jacket performed flawlessly, and the DWR coating was amazing. During this entire round, the jacket kept beading water off and kept me completely dry...bone dry. I've played in rains similar to this with by Galvin Green gear, and even it's DWR will fail and "wet out" (outer layer get soaked, but still stay dry inside as the membrane doesn't fail). Even the ProQuip PX5 pants wetted out (only the second rain they have been in), but again, I stayed dry inside the pants.

The only issue wetting out will cause (I've mentioned it in a raingear thread or two) is that if it's hot outside, your bodyheat/moisture cannot escape through the rain gear and will build up moisture/condensation on the interior of the gear. This particular day wasn't hot, so wetting out wasn't too detrimental.

But after having the Kjus Dexter pieces, and now the Pro 3L, I'm a full convert from Galvin Green/GoreTex over to Kjus. Yes, Kjus is even more expensive than Galvin...the Pro 3L can cost almost as much as a Galvin Green jacket AND pant combined, but Kjus has proven (to me) to be the most innovative, best performing rain gear on the market. The fit (for me), performance, and feel are all above even that of Galvin Green.

Now the process of clearing out the majority of my Galvin Green gear (I have A LOT...probably $3000 or so worth) and moving those funds into more Kjus. I have a few more pieces coming, including their 2-layer (think GoreTex PacLite competitor) "Clive" waterproof to try out.

Any reviews on the Proquip Tour Lite? I see a lot of positive reviews of the PX5, but like the idea of being able to pack it easily. Also I dont plan on playing in significant downpours too often.

It is very light and very stretchy. Not warm but a nice jacket. slim fitting. They have a new model called the tour flex lite which has a thin liner now as well

Adding to my Galvin Green to Kjus conversion. Along with the Dexter models I have referred to above, I've also recently added a more "traditional" 3-layer Kjus model, the "Pro 3L" to my collection and tested it a few times in some rain..particularly this past weekend. A freaking downpour (about 2 inches of rainfall in a few hours) on Sunday. The Kjus Pro 3L jackets and PX5 ProQuip rainpants. The jacket performed flawlessly, and the DWR coating was amazing. During this entire round, the jacket kept beading water off and kept me completely dry...bone dry. I've played in rains similar to this with by Galvin Green gear, and even it's DWR will fail and "wet out" (outer layer get soaked, but still stay dry inside as the membrane doesn't fail). Even the ProQuip PX5 pants wetted out (only the second rain they have been in), but again, I stayed dry inside the pants.

The only issue wetting out will cause (I've mentioned it in a raingear thread or two) is that if it's hot outside, your bodyheat/moisture cannot escape through the rain gear and will build up moisture/condensation on the interior of the gear. This particular day wasn't hot, so wetting out wasn't too detrimental.

But after having the Kjus Dexter pieces, and now the Pro 3L, I'm a full convert from Galvin Green/GoreTex over to Kjus. Yes, Kjus is even more expensive than Galvin...the Pro 3L can cost almost as much as a Galvin Green jacket AND pant combined, but Kjus has proven (to me) to be the most innovative, best performing rain gear on the market. The fit (for me), performance, and feel are all above even that of Galvin Green.

Now the process of clearing out the majority of my Galvin Green gear (I have A LOT...probably $3000 or so worth) and moving those funds into more Kjus. I have a few more pieces coming, including their 2-layer (think GoreTex PacLite competitor) "Clive" waterproof to try out.

Chris975 -- are the Kjus warming (winter/cold) pieces also better than GG's stuff?

The best rain gear made is by Kuiu. They are a mountain hunting company that makes gear to be light weight and durable. If it’s good enough for sheep hunting guides in Alaska it’ll hold to any 18 holes I play in the lower 48.

https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-jackets-vests/teton-rain-jacket/14003.html?cgid=jackets-and-vests&dwvar_14003_color=Verde2.0#start=19

https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-pants-shorts/teton-rain-pant/13002.html?cgid=pants-and-shorts&dwvar_13002_color=Verde2.0#start=18

Chris975 -- are the Kjus warming (winter/cold) pieces also better than GG's stuff?

You can’t go wrong with KJUS, Zero or Sunice.

Kjus. That stuff has changed the way I look at rain gear... don’t trust their mountain stuff for the price, but their golf waterproofs are the best I have ever worn. I’ve tried the big names... GG, Sunice, but Kjus is the top. Fit is perfect for me, sized up slightly but I am slim and it fits great. The stretch is top notch, and Derma-whatever is from toray who is really high end. I doubt anyone would regret Kjus if you can justify the cost.

Any reviews on the Proquip Tour Lite? I see a lot of positive reviews of the PX5, but like the idea of being able to pack it easily. Also I dont plan on playing in significant downpours too often.

It is very light and very stretchy. Not warm but a nice jacket. slim fitting. They have a new model called the tour flex lite which has a thin liner now as well

Is the Tour Lite the same breathable membrane as the PX5? A little hard to tell from their website which lines have what tech. The PX1 line seems pretty affordable but not if it’s just standard impermeable coated fabric with a back vent.

I have read the posts here I'm not sure I follow the "wetting out" factor.

I just bought rain gear (GG goretex) and don't even know if I can get kjus in Canada, but wondering if I am playing average 5 times a year in rain and I don't really play unless it is a tournament (and I have a cart cover) is the GG stuff worth the price? Is it worth the upgrade to kjus (assuming I can find it) keeping the above usage in mind?

I know nothing about rain gear so any additional input is appreciated; I generally don't play in the rain, especially heavy rain, but I'd like stuff I can use for 5 years at least.

As an aside, the cart cover was THE BEST investment I ever made for foul weather golfing. Perhaps others already have covers but a good quality one is so worth it (especially since we are talking about spending $1,000+ on rain gear).

I just bought rain gear (GG goretex) and don't even know if I can get kjus in Canada, but wondering if I am playing average 5 times a year in rain and I don't really play unless it is a tournament (and I have a cart cover) is the GG stuff worth the price? Is it worth the upgrade to kjus (assuming I can find it) keeping the above usage in mind?

I know nothing about rain gear so any additional input is appreciated; I generally don't play in the rain, especially heavy rain, but I'd like stuff I can use for 5 years at least.

As an aside, the cart cover was THE BEST investment I ever made for foul weather golfing. Perhaps others already have covers but a good quality one is so worth it (especially since we are talking about spending $1,000+ on rain gear).

I look at Goretex rain gear as an investment. It’s guaranteed for life. I have one Goretex suit that’s over 25 years old and still works fine (and still under warranty). It cost maybe $200 when new which at the time seemed like a lot but now it’s fairly modest. The GG stuff is a bit pricey but you can find good deals on other Goretex brands. Last year I purchased a Zero Restriction Stealth Goretex jacket from The Golf Warehouse for $95.

I look at Goretex rain gear as an investment. It's guaranteed for life. I have one Goretex suit that's over 25 years old and still works fine (and still under warranty). It cost maybe $200 when new which at the time seemed like a lot but now it's fairly modest. The GG stuff is a bit pricey but you can find good deals on other Goretex brands. Last year I purchased a Zero Restriction Stealth Goretex jacket from The Golf Warehouse for $95.

I posted earlier in this thread. The value of rain gear as an investment really depends on how often you play in the rain...Since I don't play in the rain often, I ended up buying used. Got a ZR Goretex Tour Lite jacket for $60 and a pair of Forrester's Goretex pants for $35. Since it lasts for life, it would stand to reason it would also last for a second owner.

As long as you know your measurements, you should be fine going this route if you don't want to spend a grand on some stuff you rarely wear.

Wetting out...this is when the outer fabric of a waterproof garment becomes soaked with water (rain). A typical waterproof (let's use a GoreTex garment for example, but most are similar) garment has the actual waterproof membrane on the interior of the garment, and there's another cloth/fabric on the exterior of the garment (can be referred to as the "face" fabric) to give it it's stylish look...the waterproof membrane itself wouldn't look too fashionable if the membrane was exterior facing...it's just a Teflon/polyurethane (plastic looking) thin sheet with microscopic pores in it. So a thin cloth fabric is on the outside of the garment.

The interior rubbery membrane is what makes the jacket fully waterpoof...rain/water droplets cannot penetrate this barrier, as the microscopic pores in it are much smaller than water droplets. But, the reason that this membrane is porous, and not a solid sheet is that these microscopic pores WILL allow the water vapor (vapor is a different state than "water"...vapor molecules are much smaller than water droplets) created by your body's warmth and perspiration during activity to pass through the waterproof membrane and escape, in theory keeping you cool and dry inside. This is the "breathable" factor of GoreTex and other waterproof membranes that you hear/read about.

But, in order for the waterproof membrane to actually let the water vapor formed during perspiration to pass through, the exterior face fabric has to stay dry. This is why exterior fabrics on GoreTex and other waterproof garments have DWR (durable water repellent) applied. DWR is a coating that makes water/rain bead up on the surface of the face fabric and run off, not soaking in. But, if the amount of rain is too much for the DWR to repel, or if the DWR is worn/old, the rain CAN start to soak into the face/exterior fabric, and this is what's meant by "wetting out".

When the exterior fabric becomes soaked, the membrane underneath still keeps the rain out. But, what can happen, especially if the person wearing the garment is doing something exerting...walking during golf, hiking, etc...is that now the water vapor from perspiration cannot get through the membrane (think of the external side of the pores being "blocked" by the standing water on the exterior fabric), and instead starts to condensate on the interior of the membrane. If the person wearing the garment is exerting themselves/perspiring enough, that water condensation will actually start to soak their clothing underneath...just the same as if the rain was getting through the garment.

Often times when someone thinks their raingear's waterproofing has failed, it's actually this "wetting out" and condensation on the inside of the garment that's occurring. This can be remedied by refreshing or reapplying the DWR to the exterior face fabric of the garment.

Here's a link to why wetting out is bad, and how in can be resolved. http://www.nikwax.com/usblog/why-wetting-out-is-bad/

I look at Goretex rain gear as an investment. It's guaranteed for life. I have one Goretex suit that's over 25 years old and still works fine (and still under warranty). It cost maybe $200 when new which at the time seemed like a lot but now it's fairly modest. The GG stuff is a bit pricey but you can find good deals on other Goretex brands. Last year I purchased a Zero Restriction Stealth Goretex jacket from The Golf Warehouse for $95.

I posted earlier in this thread. The value of rain gear as an investment really depends on how often you play in the rain...Since I don't play in the rain often, I ended up buying used. Got a ZR Goretex Tour Lite jacket for $60 and a pair of Forrester's Goretex pants for $35. Since it lasts for life, it would stand to reason it would also last for a second owner.

As long as you know your measurements, you should be fine going this route if you don't want to spend a grand on some stuff you rarely wear.

That was a deal! And as you said there is still a lifetime of use remaining.

Appreciate the response; concept makes risk sense now.

So the life time warranty is on the gore tex, but that layer is really only useful if the outermost (weather facing) layer is able to keep water away also to prevent from soaking through which is necessary to allow the sweat to escape your body. Is this the true distinguishing factor between the GG and others mentioned as being superior; I didn't see reference to goretex on the kjus website is their outer layer so good they don't have a goretex layer or do they have a competitor product to goretex for their liners as well?

Appreciate the response; concept makes risk sense now.

So the life time warranty is on the gore tex, but that layer is really only useful if the outermost (weather facing) layer is able to keep water away also to prevent from soaking through which is necessary to allow the sweat to escape your body. Is this the true distinguishing factor between the GG and others mentioned as being superior; I didn't see reference to goretex on the kjus website is their outer layer so good they don't have a goretex layer or do they have a competitor product to goretex for their liners as well?

Gore Industries, the company that makes GoreTex, requires any company using their membranes to issue a lifetime guarantee on the product, which Gore also helps support. This is part of the higher cost of making GoreTex garments, as a manufacturer making Gore containing garments has to pay these increased costs to Gore to use the GoreTex membranes. And Gore has input and final say so in any and all garments designs, as well as final testing to make sure the garment meets Gore's standards to allow the GoreTex name to be used.

And to clarify, it's not soaking through when wetting out occurs. The waterproof membrane itself is still completely impermeable to water entering from the outside (unless there is a joke or tear, or the seam tape has failed), but the outer fabric being soaked will not let water vapor on the inside of the garment to escape, and will build up inside the garment.

There are many competitors to Gore's GoreTex waterproof membrane, and in some cases those competitors are better than GoreTex in other aspects such as stretch capabilities, breathability (keeping you cooler inside the jacket), feel, quietness (GoreTex is quite loud, even with Galvin Green), etc. Kjus' top models use Toray Derzimax membranes, which are very highly regarded, and in some ways rated as superior to GoreTex.

OK so taken together it sounds like many are saying the kjus jackets and pants may be better; and yes I got that wetting out is not leaking through but if I'm wet be rain or by sweat to me it's the same thing (quite frankly if the wetness level was the exact same, id prefer rain over sweat).

The one thing I did not like about the GG jacket I had previously I'd that it has no stretch whatsoever and that's the case with the new one I just bought as well; I gained some weight so had to size up. In colder weather my jacket, with several layers underneath, became useless it was so tight I couldn't even swing. I guess I'll look into the other brands mentioned here; having a tough time finding kjus golf rain gear in Canada so it may be moot point but appreciate the help.

OK so taken together it sounds like many are saying the kjus jackets and pants may be better; and yes I got that wetting out is not leaking through but if I'm wet be rain or by sweat to me it's the same thing (quite frankly if the wetness level was the exact same, id prefer rain over sweat).

The one thing I did not like about the GG jacket I had previously I'd that it has no stretch whatsoever and that's the case with the new one I just bought as well; I gained some weight so had to size up. In colder weather my jacket, with several layers underneath, became useless it was so tight I couldn't even swing. I guess I'll look into the other brands mentioned here; having a tough time finding kjus golf rain gear in Canada so it may be moot point but appreciate the help.

In terms of GoreTex and stretch, the best I've actually found is Under Armour's GoreTex gear. Specifically their golf gear, as they have hunting and other outdoors GoreTex products. The several Under Armour GoreTex products I have have great stretch panels in the shoulders and across the back. MUCH better stretch during a golf swing than Galvin Green's stretch GoreTex products, which I also have/had.

A lot of my goretex products are wetting out(some are fairly old - 20+ yo), now. I have revived some, and, most of them need the dwr re-applied. But, to mitigate the effects of wetting out, I use a synthetic base layer, and, a non-cotton middle layer. This keeps me comfortable inspite of my outer layers wetting out.

Is the Tour Lite the same breathable membrane as the PX5? A little hard to tell from their website which lines have what tech. The PX1 line seems pretty affordable but not if it's just standard impermeable coated fabric with a back vent.

Not sure on the different membrane. The tour lite does not have a liner so it has kind of a rubbery feel on your skin. A friend has one that i tried on. But it is super stretchy. I assume that is why they came up with the tour flex lite-the added thin liner for comfort.

The px1 is the basic model and not stretchy. I read (i think on the spy site) a rain gear test from a lot of different companies and the px5 did well but they rated the px3 as having a bit more waterproofing but not as comfortable. Both should be warmer than the tour lite. The px5 has the lifetime guarantee vs 3 year on the others

A lot of my goretex products are wetting out(some are fairly old - 20+ yo), now. I have revived some, and, most of them need the dwr re-applied. But, to mitigate the effects of wetting out, I use a synthetic base layer, and, a non-cotton middle layer. This keeps me comfortable inspite of my outer layers wetting out.

The trick is washing the Goretex clothing properly. I spoke with Gore in Baltimore and they recommended Tide Free and Gentle liquid detergent (and also gave me some good maintenance advice). It doesn't have certain additives that Goretex doesn't like. Gortex is picky on how its washed. Don't use powder detergent. Wash per the label on the clothing (water temp and cycle). Also after the wash do another rinse only cycle, maybe two rinse cycles. If you have been using "regular" detergent you probably have to wash a couple times. This happened to me. I was using my regular detergent that had fabric softener and all the other modern chemicals and then I would spray the jacket down with Nikwax dwr. The jacket still wouldn't bead up when wet since the incorrect detergent acted as a coating blocking the Nikwax from adhering. Once I started washing my gear properly water just beads up and with a quick shake the jacket is virtually dry. One last thing, only use the spray on dwr - NOT the wash in type. You don't want the inside coated as this limits how the jacket vents.

The trick is washing the Goretex clothing properly. I spoke with Gore in Baltimore and they recommended Tide Free and Gentle liquid detergent (and also gave me some good maintenance advice). It doesn't have certain additives that Goretex doesn't like. Gortex is picky on how its washed. Don't use powder detergent. Wash per the label on the clothing (water temp and cycle). Also after the wash do another rinse only cycle, maybe two rinse cycles. If you have been using "regular" detergent you probably have to wash a couple times. This happened to me. I was using my regular detergent that had fabric softener and all the other modern chemicals and then I would spray the jacket down with Nikwax dwr. The jacket still wouldn't bead up when wet since the incorrect detergent acted as a coating blocking the Nikwax from adhering. Once I started washing my gear properly water just beads up and with a quick shake the jacket is virtually dry. One last thing, only use the spray on dwr - NOT the wash in type. You don't want the inside coated as this limits how the jacket vents.

I normally use a Free and Clear detergent. The instructions on how to clean waterproof gear seems to have evolved. I seem to remember, powered detergents were recommended, and, to avoid liquid detergents. At any rate it sounds like I can throw my goretex jacket in the wash, and, think about it, the dwr on my Gap Performance Khaki's still work, so, I should give it a shot.

• 3 months later...

Big thanks to @chris975d for the helpful info. I'm a winter golfer in the PacNW and have been in the market for nice raingear as winter is creeping up. Given all the feedback I'm about to pull the trigger on a KJUS Pro 3L jacket. In terms of sizing, how does KJUs fit? I'm generally a Large by US standards. I like jackets a bit loose so I have the option to layer.

Big thanks to @chris975d for the helpful info. I'm a winter golfer in the PacNW and have been in the market for nice raingear as winter is creeping up. Given all the feedback I'm about to pull the trigger on a KJUS Pro 3L jacket. In terms of sizing, how does KJUs fit? I'm generally a Large by US standards. I like jackets a bit loose so I have the option to layer.

I've found it's best to just go by the manufacturers' size charts. Determine your chest size in inches, and just compare that to the chart for Kjus. I'm a 47" chest, so I can range from XL, to XXL depending on the maker. In Kjus, I'm a 58 if it's a piece I want to layer underneath(my Pro 3L), or a 56 if it's going to be closer to a base layer or something worn with only a thin layer underneath, like my Dexter long and short sleeve rain tops.

KJUS is by far the most technically advanced with the materials they're using and fits. It is a bit pricey but worth it if you can find a deal. Speaking of deals function18.com is running a huge sale on Galvin Green. Passing this along. I've bought from US re sellers before but these prices are absurdly low and don't think anyone can come close! They even include free shipping an no tax!

https://www.function18.com/on-sale/shopby/brand-galvin_green.html?dir=desc&order=date_created

This. I tried everything and have never once strayed from Kjus once trying it. I bought a ton of their other stuff now too, I like the gear that much. Fit, stretch and comfort are all equally important and Kjus has it all. And it keep you bone dry too.

Couldn’t agree more on Kjus. I purchased their long sleeve 3.0L for the Northern States and the Kjus 2.5L half sleeve pullover for the Southern States.

The 3.0L is amazing, but the 2.5L is the lightest rain jacket I have ever worn and it weighs less than 3 golf balls. It also comes with a storage back about the size of a soda can.

It was mentioned above, but the fit is perfect. Nothing worse than baggy rain gear that makes a bunch of noise when you move.

The best I have seen.

I saw Kjus at the Bandon Dunes pro shop. Looks like nice stuff, but was really thin. Probably not the same piece Chris mentioned above.

Actually the "Dexter" models of waterproofs by Kjus are insanely thin. Like the lightest full waterproofs on the market. They pack down to nothing, and weigh less than nothing. Of course they also have more standard weight waterproofs, like the Pro 3L, but the Dexter is stupidly light. Kjus refers to it as "emergency" gear, as it can be carried anywhere and ready for "emergency" use in a rainstorm.

Here is a photo of the carry pouch for the Dexter waterproofs. That's a 3x3 inch Post-It notepad for size reference.

f3bffaac043e40defc7c7d4c3f889860.jpg

On the back of this post I’ve just bought a Kjus Dexter Tour Edition in sophisto grey for just £99. Currently got a Nike Stormfit which is really unwieldy to the point that I never wear it.