Your Golf Superstition

Shawn Paul

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have several.

ย 

I HAVE to have a golf ball to play. It must be white (or yellow, or orange, or green, or pink, etc) and it must be a #1 (or 2, or 3, or.....)

ย 

My clubs HAVE to go in the bag(I don't want to carry them in my hands). There might be five in one slot and zero in another, but they're in the bag!

ย 

I HAVE to have a long white tee in my pocket (or a short one, or any color) and a 1975 quarter (or a penny or a peso or a dime. Or anything else. From any year.

ย 

All in good fun. Not making fun of anyone else. I just don't really have any. I'll grab a few tees before I start, just trying to get a couple different lengths, sometimes I'll have an extra ball in my pocket, sometimes not. Mark with any coin I can find.

Crap!! I have too many, so I didn't even read anything before I post this. Took me a long time to drop it down to 2. Lifesavers roll(in case I need to cheat), and white tee. I don't even like lifesaver that much but I had it in my pocket the first time I broke 70 as well as my first ace. So it's been in my pocket since. I have a few plastic wrapped in my golf bag.

Two balls and tees always in my left pocket. Ball marker and divot tool in my right. Glove always in my back right pocket when I putt. Towel to wipe my ball with looped through my belt. Bag always has a wet thick towel on one side, and a dry absorbent one on the other (clubs get wiped after every shot). Been doing this for several decades - would feel really strange if anything was off.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ย Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ย Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ย Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miuraย Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ย KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ย KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

• 9 months later...

Rather than starting another thread, this one can get a bump.

ย 

Mine are,

ย 

I don't clean my clubs or shoes before I play a competition round.

My right shoe lace must be tied first.

No copper ball markers.

ย 

Golf is so complicated, even before you hit a ball.

Taylormade Sim 2 Maxย - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3ย - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybridย - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB ย - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issueย X100

Titleist 620 MBย - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issueย X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08,ย 56S ย & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleistย - Pro V1

i have a few -

ย 

1) clean my clubs the night before any round of a qualifier or a tournament

2) listen to 'classical music for studying' while on the practice range except for putting

3) marker in left front pocket, divot tool in/clipped back right pocket, tees (must be wood, white and 3 1/4") in right front pocket

4) always say 'play well and hit em less often fellas' to guys i'm paired with in a qual or tourney on the first tee.

ย 

*edited for type of tees

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10ย Tour / 3w /ย Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35โ€

Funny, we were just talking about this in a casual round the other day.

ย 

3 tees to start the round in the front right pocket along with a bettinardi DASS ball mark.

Tees don't get replenished to 3 until all are broken.

Matching betti DASS divot tool in left pocket.

ย 

The discussion started when a guy had me respond to a text for him and I commented on how we can both have the same iPhone and have it look so incredibly different with how things are organized with how apps are placed on the screen.

• I clean my clubs and shoes the night before like it's some religious ritual.
  • Ball marker, Scotty Cameron pivot tool, and tee(s) always in front right pocket. I don't use the left pocket because if I'm wearing a glove and reach in, I end up turning the pocket inside out.
  • I typically use the ball I last from the round I last played as the first ball. Then I'll use a new ball if I end up losing that. I once played almost 3 complete rounds with the same ball.

That's about it, although when I was young I used to do some crazy stuff. I got a blister once on my finger and had a band aid around it. For whatever reason I drove the ball very well with that bandaged finger. So for a whole year I put a band aid before each round even though I didn't have any cuts or blisters.

ย 

I COULD NOT use a plain wooden tee. It had to be painted white. Now I actually prefer the plain wood...but don't care either way.

Probably not the craziest in this thread, but here's mine:

ย 

When teeing up an iron of a 3 wood, I absolutely can't use a full tee. It has to be a broken tee.

ย 

At my club, they have tees a plenty and I have not purchased golf tees in years, so it's not a price thing.

ย 

It's a completely irrational "why would I waste a perfectly good tee" thought. If I ever tee up an iron or 3 wood with a full tee, I will hit it thin.

ย 

That's not even the craziest part. I'm perfectly fine grabbing a full tee on the tee box and breaking it in my hand, then using the broken top to tee up the shot.

ย 

EDIT: I don't mean teeing it up like I would a driver, I mean pushing the full tee all the way into the ground so the ball is just sitting on top of the grass like I would with a broken tee.

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400ย 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

ย 

When teeing up an iron of a 3 wood, I absolutely can't use a full tee. It has to be a broken tee.

ย 

At my club, they have tees a plenty and I have not purchased golf tees in years, so it's not a price thing.

ย 

It's a completely irrational "why would I waste a perfectly good tee" thought. If I ever tee up an iron or 3 wood with a full tee, I will hit it thin.

ย 

That's not even the craziest part. I'm perfectly fine grabbing a full tee on the tee box and breaking it in my hand, then using the broken top to tee up the shot.

ย 

EDIT: I don't mean teeing it up like I would a driver, I mean pushing the full tee all the way into the ground so the ball is just sitting on top of the grass like I would with a broken tee.

i wont lie you had me dyin when you told me this hahaha smiling at my desk at the moment haha

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10ย Tour / 3w /ย Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35โ€

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

i wont lie you had me dyin when you told me this hahaha smiling at my desk at the moment haha

ย 

Somebody needs to hit me in the head and set me straight. Maybe I'll go piss off Tyler Austin

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400ย 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

I will not use or tolerate yellow golf tees at all.

ย 

Yellow is a color for caution, cowardice, and being noncommittal, none of which is wanted on the golf course.

ย 

If yellow tees show upโ€ฆI am out.

ย 

Isn't white the color of surrender? Then what? Must be a pain buying golf balls! No white, no yellow... lol

ย 

And red means 'stop'. And black is the absence of color. And pink is a girl's color. And blue means cold and numb. And green is the color of envy meaning you wish you could stripe it 270 down the middle. So, in looks like only natural wood for your tees...

ย 

I have none.

ย 

Weirdo. Do you actually play golf? ;-)

ย 

I cant have anything in either left pocket. Tees, repair tool, ball marker all go in my right pocket and my glove goes in my back right pocket.

ย 

How many left pockets do you have?

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Somebody needs to hit me in the head and set me straight. Maybe I'll go piss off Tyler Austin

ย 

The Sox and Yanks have always had the best fights in baseball. They make NHL fights look like kindergarten scraps.

Used to spray paint tees silver, looked like nails, not very superstitious but weird.....brushing teeth between holes wouldn't work on course, what would that whacko Turk Wendell do?!?

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

I have none.

ย 

ย 

I have degrees in math and physics. I am not allowed to have superstitions. That would be irrational.

ย 

Wow. I am a chemist by trade, and I still refuse to use anything but half tees for anything but driver off of any tee. But, c'mon, even us scientists, when we are trying to run an experiment and encounter wonky data, we still shrug our shoulders and blame invisible spirits and demons. Why did this system behave a certain way for 2 weeks and then all of a sudden start giving totally different data when all variables remained the same? Drives us nuts, eh?

I have none.

ย 

ย 

I have degrees in math and physics. I am not allowed to have superstitions. That would be irrational.

ย 

Wow. I am a chemist by trade, and I still refuse to use anything but half tees for anything but driver off of any tee. But, c'mon, even us scientists, when we are trying to run an experiment and encounter wonky data, we still shrug our shoulders and blame invisible spirits and demons. Why did this system behave a certain way for 2 weeks and then all of a sudden start giving totally different data when all variables remained the same? Drives us nuts, eh?

Well if you are talking about Murphy's Law then that is real. We plan for that. Doesn't work, but we still planned for it.

I have none.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Well if you are talking about Murphy's Law then that is real. We plan for that. Doesn't work, but we still planned for it.

ย 

Ah yes, Murphy always shows up even in the best of rational plans. I have learned to work some Murphy into the scheduling/budget of my experimental designs...