R.I.P Bridgestone Firestone CC

Big Ben

The entire Midwest is now down to just The Memorial and John Deere Classic as permanent sites for the PGA Tour.

There's a strong likelihood that the Twin Cities picks up a tournament in June or July. They already have 3M as a sponsor and plans to toughen TPC Twin Cities for a regular Tour stop.

After such a successful Ryder Cup, I personally think it's a given that they get a slot.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you needed a reminder that despite all the yapping about rich traditions, historic values and loyalty/sportsmanship in the great game of golf, the PGA Tour is really only interested in money. Making as much money as possible. Period. I know that town and local businesses have loyally supported the Tour for decades. In return, the Tour basically says thanks, more money down the road. I'm not making a moral judgment on that stance- just pointing it out. There is no room for loyalty (or really any other human emotion) in this sort of capitalism. Does make me a little sick that the tour is supposed to be a 501©(3) charitable organization. That's right, these great money making, free market capitalists don't pay taxes.

Not a fan of this decision, I understand that this could open up Firestone to host a potential major championship but nonetheless it was one of my favorite tour stops each year. Corporate money dictates the terms, I just wish the tour could've brought the Mexico WGC to Memphis and left Firestone untouched.

Hard to not agree with this...

Firestone probably had to go in it's current slot. They want the tour championship played by

or before Labor day. I think next years schedule will be released in a month or so and we'll

see all the changes.

There are a few upcoming tournaments with no sponsors, Colonial and Tiger's DC area one,

which lately was the Quicken Loans National. Dean and DeLucca pulled out of the Colonial

and Quicken out of the other.

I'm looking forward to seeing next year's schedule.

Maybe since the Owner of Quicken Loans also owns the Cleveland Cavaliers he may step up and offer something to Tiger to bring his tourny to Akron?

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Not a fan of this decision, I understand that this could open up Firestone to host a potential major championship but nonetheless it was one of my favorite tour stops each year. Corporate money dictates the terms, I just wish the tour could've brought the Mexico WGC to Memphis and left Firestone untouched.

Hard to not agree with this...

Firestone probably had to go in it's current slot. They want the tour championship played by

or before Labor day. I think next years schedule will be released in a month or so and we'll

see all the changes.

There are a few upcoming tournaments with no sponsors, Colonial and Tiger's DC area one,

which lately was the Quicken Loans National. Dean and DeLucca pulled out of the Colonial

and Quicken out of the other.

I'm looking forward to seeing next year's schedule.

Maybe since the Owner of Quicken Loans also owns the Cleveland Cavaliers he may step up and offer something to Tiger to bring his tourny to Akron?

Quicken Loans corporate HQ is in Detroit. And Dan Gilbert has invested heavily in turning Detroit around. He also is behind the Detroit area getting a PGA Tour stop again.

https://www.detroitn...roit/105837646/

Well Tiger and Firestone have a storied history. There's another guy from Akron who could partner with Tiger, might have heard of him his initials are LBJ.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

How is my being a Texan and Jupiter Island resident qualify as homer? And why is it the least interesting?

Nostalgia and homerism are cousins. You've played the course and have memories attached to it; I get it.

Architecturally, Firestone is a complete abomination. This is not a controversial opinion in the GCA world.

The course is one long, narrow, tree-lined hole after another. 16 and 18 are the only memorable holes on the course, and I'd argue both are memorable for reasons that do nothing to compliment the layout.

We know 16 because it's essentially an unreachable beast with that stupid pond short and right of the green (and the narrow chute where you can run a ball up the left). When a course only has two par 5s, having one of them be an unreachable, uninteresting 3-shotter takes the fun out of both playing and watching.

(I don't know about you, but I don't play or watch golf for par saves or 15-foot birdie putts on par 5s.)

And we all know about 18 and its soft dogleg left because Tiger seemed to pull a Superman™ act there every year on Sunday.

Other than that, I'd be fine if the rest of the property were devoted to generating a corn subsidy.

Completely disagree. Firestone South is a strong, solid honest course that still stands up to the best PGA pros even today. I'd rate #16 among the ten best par fives in the world. #3 and #4 are serious trouble for golfers on the front. The only strike against it, is that nearly all the holes run in one of two directions.

My opinion, unlike the Euros we don't respect our history.

That explains all the European Tour events that are played in the Middle East and Asia while most events in England thirty years ago have disappeared.

lol exactly.

what's the new venue? Is the course awesome? Man need to eat fried chicken in memphis at Gus's world famous fried chicken. i know PReed will be on that. seriously the best chicken in the world

In case you needed a reminder that despite all the yapping about rich traditions, historic values and loyalty/sportsmanship in the great game of golf, the PGA Tour is really only interested in money. Making as much money as possible. Period. I know that town and local businesses have loyally supported the Tour for decades. In return, the Tour basically says thanks, more money down the road. I'm not making a moral judgment on that stance- just pointing it out. There is no room for loyalty (or really any other human emotion) in this sort of capitalism. Does make me a little sick that the tour is supposed to be a 501©(3) charitable organization. That's right, these great money making, free market capitalists don't pay taxes.

The first year I seriously followed the PGA Tour was 1981.

Here is how they're doing these days.

Tuscon Open: gone

Bob Hope, Phoenix, Crosby, San Diego, Hawaii, Los Angeles: these six are relatively unchanged with Phoenix at a new course and some rotation at Palm Springs and the Monterrey Peninsula.

Bay Hill: unchanged

Inverrary: moved a little

Doral: became a WGC and now gone

TPC: moved across the street

Heritage same

Greensboro: changed course back to an old one

Masters: same

Tallahassee: gone

Tournament of Champions: moved to Hawaii, LaCosta did have the Match Play

New Orleans: new courses, new format

Houston: still alive for now

Byron Nelson: new course (thank goodness)

Colonial: still alive for now

Kemper: became Tiger's event and is still alive for now

Atlanta: gone

Memorial: same

Westchester: became a FedEx, still in NYC Metro area

US Open: same

Memphis: new course, becomes WGC

Western Open: now a FedEx, played in the western area known as Pennsylvania this year

Milwaukee: gone

British Open: same

Quad Cities Open: still alive at a new course

Anheuser Busch in Virginia: gone

Canadian Open: same

PGA: same

Hartford: new course that they will get right one of these decades

Buick: gone

World Series: last event in 2018

so the Western Open and Westchester were changed to Fed Ex events and still live on as nomads

Doral and Firestone were turned into WGCs and are now gone, Tuscon had the Match Play and now that's gone

BC, Pleasant Valley, LaJet, Hall of Fame, Southern, Pensacola and Disney all gone

Texas Open is the only fall event from 1981 still around and its moved to the spring

Bob Hope, Phoenix, Crosby, San Diego, Hawaii, Los Angeles: these six are relatively unchanged with Phoenix at a new course and some rotation at Palm Springs and the Monterrey Peninsula.

Heritage same

Western Open: now a FedEx, played in the western area known as Pennsylvania this year

so the Western Open and Westchester were changed to Fed Ex events and still live on as nomads

Doral and Firestone were turned into WGCs and are now gone, Tuscon had the Match Play and now that's gone

BC, Pleasant Valley, LaJet, Hall of Fame, Southern, Pensacola and Disney all gone

Texas Open is the only fall event from 1981 still around and its moved to the spring

Wow how long did it take you to dig up all that info???

Heritage same

It took much longer to type than find the information. The part about the golf tournament still being alive is from memory. (some are now Senior or LPGA stops)

Heritage same

It took much longer to type than find the information. The part about the golf tournament still being alive is from memory. (some are now Senior or LPGA stops)

The new WGC event in Memphis will still be played on the same course (TPC Southwind) as the FEX St Jude Classic.

Heritage same

The new WGC event in Memphis will still be played on the same course (TPC Southwind) as the FEX St Jude Classic.

In 1981, the tournament was played at Colonial Country Club. (yes the PGA Tour played two Colonial Country Clubs back in the day)

This really hurts. I've been there every year for the last 10 years. A perfect course for a PGA Championship.

Just sayin

Agreed. These old school venues are going extinct. The PGA Tour landscape is very different than when I was growing up. Castle Pines. Callaway Gardens. Firestone. Cog Hill. All passed over nowadays.

Titleist CB irons 3-PW
Vokey Wedges
Odyssey putter

Just announced Firestone will host the 2019 Senior Players Championship. I hope we pickup a LPGA Major at some point as well. BB

Maybe it will give fans a chance to see Tiger and Phil again at Firestone, this time on the Champions Tour. Not much of a stretch they would at least play the Champions Tour majors.

I've been going to Firestone to watch pro golf on and off since the late 1980s, first for the World Series of Golf, then for the WGC. I was there for Phil Mickelson's win in 1996, and also there for Tiger's win in 2013.

During the height of Tiger's WGC dominance, the tournament sold out regularly. It is not so much a walking course for spectators as it is a find a spot and stay there, as there is a lot of back-and-forth holes. But the course itself has always been in phenomenal shape, and the pros never had a bad word to say about it.

Greetings

Castle Pines. Callaway Gardens. Firestone. Cog Hill. All passed over nowadays.

Also these -- Colonial South in Memphis TN where Al Geiberger shot the PGA Tour's first 59, Pleasant Valley CC in Sutton Mass, Killearn Golf Club in Tallahassee FL, LaCosta CC in Carlsbad CA , Atlanta (GA) CC (site of first Players Championship), Westchester CC (Bob Gilder's Double Eagle in 1982), Perdido Bay in Pensacola FL, and Tucson (AZ) National. And add to those, two clubs which were dropped because of membership policies -- Cypress Point in Monterrey CA and Butler National in Oak Brook IL.

From 1976 through 1998, the PGA Tour event at Firestone Country Club was the "World Series of Golf," and was sponsored by NEC beginning in 1984. It was founded as a four-man invitational event in 1962, comprising the winners of the four major championships in a 36-hole event.[2] the competitors played in one group for $75,000 in unofficial prize money, televised by NBC.

In 1976, it became a 72-hole, $300,000 PGA Tour event and its field was initially expanded to twenty;[3] the victory and $100,000 winner's share went to Nicklaus.[4] The largest first prize at a major in 1976 was $45,000 at the PGA Championship.

The World Series of Golf quickly became a leading event on the tour. For many years a victory in it gave a 10-year exemption on the PGA Tour, the same as was granted for a victory in a major championship at that time, and twice as long as is given even for winning a major now. The field consisted of the winners of all the high status men's professional golf tournaments around the world in the previous twelve months. This was quite different from the criteria for the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational listed above, but produced much the same sort of global field.

This tournament gave a number of Southern African golfers their big break. The 10 year exemption was gold. Nick Price - 1983, Denis Watson - 1985, David Frost - 1989, Fulton Allem - 1993.

Greetings ....

During its 23 year lifetime as an official event (1976 to 1998), the World Series of Golf produced only eight champions who would make the World Golf Hall of Fame -- Jack Nicklaus, Lanny Wadkins, Tom Watson, Nick Price, Curtis Strange, Jose-Maria Olazabal, Greg Norman and Phil Mickelson. I have to put an asterisk here for 1998 winner David Duval, who might have made the Hall as well if his career hadn't abruptly crash-landed at its peak. Of the remaining champions, only two-time World Series winner Craig Stadler (1982, 1992) could be considered along with Duval as the next best thing to the afore-mentioned Top Eight. The rest were players for whom a win at Firestone was the peak event of their careers.

Regarding the 10-year PGA Tour exemption that came with a World Series victory (for all except 1998 winner David Duval; he only got a 3-year pass), I always felt that it was way too excessive, especially considering the careers and accomplishments of the lesser-marquee champions. Where-oh-where (and does anybody care) have the likes of Lon Hinkle, Dan Pohl, Mike Reid and Fulton Allem all disappeared too ??

Regarding the competitive atmosphere of the World Series tournaments themselves, I was often bored because not enough of the top names were contending on the final day. And I felt very sorry for many of the International invitees because Firestone just wasn't suited for their games.

Finally, even though I have a few misgivings about the current WGC event at Firestone, I am deeply sorry for both the club and for the Akron community at the loss of the event.

You are cherry picking. Rubber City Open, PGA, American Golf Classic and WGC bookend those with "worthy" winners.

Truly don't get the hate for this course, if you haven't played there you cant possibly know how challenging and beautiful it is.

I know players love Firestone, but it's a dud on tv.

Reality is all golf on tv is boring.

What? I find it boring as hell to actually be at the course. You have no idea of what is happening much of the time, thus watching on TV you get to see the entire action that is relevant. Also the distances, shot tracker, and even the odd good contribution of a commentator.

Much prefer watching golf then actually being there. Great every once in a while to see at the range and watch them hit shots, or I go to Abu Dhabi or Dubai to get up close which is cool. But love watching majors on TV.

I think the PRO's like going to Firestone because it is an old style course. Why does every course have to have every hole look like a postcard? There is nothing wrong with a course that is just long and tight. I think they get tired of the same old tricked up courses with lots of water and sand traps everywhere. Firestone has a couple of holes with water and strategically placed and difficult bunkers. It may not be visually stunning on TV but it is still a great course.

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Greetings ....

You are cherry picking. Rubber City Open, PGA, American Golf Classic and WGC bookend those with "worthy" winners.

Truly don't get the hate for this course, if you haven't played there you cant possibly know how challenging and beautiful it is.

I have nothing against the course itself, just with the set-up. Does -EVERY- hole have to be so long and tight, thereby denying a fair chance to all but only a select few? All I'm asking here is that the course be set up to give an occasional break and chance of recovery in equal measure. That's asking nothing that can not be granted !!!!

I think the PRO's like going to Firestone because it is an old style course. Why does every course have to have every hole look like a postcard? There is nothing wrong with a course that is just long and tight. I think they get tired of the same old tricked up courses with lots of water and sand traps everywhere. Firestone has a couple of holes with water and strategically placed and difficult bunkers. It may not be visually stunning on TV but it is still a great course.

Also, as mentioned earlier, it gives you what you deserve. Hit it straight and you've got a chance. Spray it and you'll struggle. Good short game will be rewarded, if its off, not so much.

Greetings ....

I have nothing against the course itself, just with the set-up. Does -EVERY- hole have to be so long and tight, thereby denying a fair chance to all but only a select few? All I'm asking here is that the course be set up to give an occasional break and chance of recovery in equal measure. That's asking nothing that can not be granted !!!!

This is the problem with only watching on TV. It is tree lined but its not like its a bowling alley. There is room to recover. the holes are different and of varying lengths. Its 7400 yards with a mixture of uphill/downhill shots. The last time I was there Roicky Fowler hit 3 wood/ wedge on 1 and 10. If you missed the fairway so bad that you couldn't recover then you deserved to not have a shot.

It is typical of design from the time period in which it was created.

Greetings ....

It does give you a break...if you're playing well. Firestone always (in my experience playing and watching it) gives you the best player that week. Just last year Zach Johnson and Thomas Pieters were coleaders after round 3. Zach isn't long at all (relative to the PGA Tour), Pieters is an absolute beast off the tee. Both get it done differently, but both were on top of their games and had a chance to win. That's what a good golf course does.

Sorry that you lost a local tournament.

Not sorry that Firestone will no longer be played, one of the more boring courses of the year IMO

Then you weren't paying attention.

I was, the course is a terrible repeat of the similar holes over and over again. That does not automatically mean the tournament itself will be boring.

I see your not a big fan of left overs.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"