Why haven't PGA Tour scores come down w/ tech

bulldog8b

Because tech has been geared to "farther," and not "closer."

A majority of the best players play an iron with more or less the same tech than 30 years ago though :huh:

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the golf courses are almost 1000 yards longer.

But according to some the players are hitting it 3000 yards farther!

Isn't that the truth. Ugh. Gone are the days when the real men could feather in a 5 iron from 153 to truly "make" a shot. Anybody can just go all out on a PW from that distance; it takes no talent at all. Rumor has it that a 19th century surgeon didn't even intend for DJ to hit an 8-iron 190, so why are we allowing it?

Isn't that the truth. Ugh. Gone are the days when the real men could feather in a 5 iron from 153 to truly "make" a shot. Anybody can just go all out on a PW from that distance; it takes no talent at all. Rumor has it that a 19th century surgeon didn't even intend for DJ to hit an 8-iron 190, so why are we allowing it?

I like your golf analysis Mr. Schaeffer, but you should really stick to what you know best. Selling BMWs!

Because tech has been geared to "farther," and not "closer."

A majority of the best players play an iron with more or less the same tech than 30 years ago though :huh:

Agreed. My thinking is that there has been much more devotion to drivers, fw's, etc. than to irons. Perhaps disproportionately so?

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I think that’s because it’s easier to sell someone a new driver than it is to sell them an entire new set of irons. That’s why drivers and putters are changed so often. But on the flip side, IMO the driver is very important. A bad drive is going to put you in a much worse position than a bad iron shot.

And there’s so much you can do to advance driver tech. Irons seem a bit limited. 15-20 year old blades don’t seem much different than brand new blades

And now, thanks to improved equipment and the genius of the PGA Tour, we now have all of these wonderful, new, improved, exciting, Tour-ready golf courses; the TPC of Avondale, the TPC Four Seasons in Las Colinas, the TPC of San Antonio, Liberty National, the Ritz Carlton at Dove Mountain... all of those courses, along with too many other "TPC" courses to name, dominating the lists of "The Worst Courses on the PGA Tour."

The same reason that the average am’s cap hasn’t come down w/tech....

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Golf is the perfect unbeatable game.

Tech promotes distance and accuracy, correct?

Even as amateurs, we all know that a good score is not always the product of perfect distance and perfect accuracy.

But, wait a sec Fergs....

You’re telling me that a guy who couldn’t consistently hit a 30* 6i, won’t now be all over that hole with a 30* 7i???

I don’t believe it?

These caps are gonna drop like friggin rocks??

Forget about using past performance to determine future outcomes, it’s gonna be different this time??

Have a great weekend Bro?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

And now, thanks to improved equipment and the genius of the PGA Tour, we now have all of these wonderful, new, improved, exciting, Tour-ready golf courses; the TPC of Avondale, the TPC Four Seasons in Las Colinas, the TPC of San Antonio, Liberty National, the Ritz Carlton at Dove Mountain... all of those courses, along with too many other "TPC" courses to name, dominating the lists of "The Worst Courses on the PGA Tour."

And Cog Hill, Torrey Pines, and a few courses designed by . . . *gasp* . . . Jack Nicklaus himself! I'm positive that the state of modern technology severely shackled his vision - in 1987.

Cog

And Cog Hill, Torrey Pines, and a few courses designed by . . . *gasp* . . . Jack Nicklaus himself! I'm positive that the state of modern technology severely shackled his vision - in 1987.

Cog Hill was always an unremarkable post-classic golf course. It's a quasi-muni. Torrey Pines (which I have played quite often and personally enjoy) is a true muni. It has never been a favorite of golf architecture buffs. The grass there is like a science experiment. I also think that Torrey's rep suffers because they use the North course for two days of the Farmers.

Personally, I like Jack's design at Dove Mountain. I don't know if the tour players didn't like the setup for Match Play, or what. I don't know why they don't like it.

But we do know what the players consistently like; courses like Cypress Point, the Melbourne Sandbelt courses, Crystal Downs, Sand Hills, Royal County Down, Prairie Dunes, Riviera; NGLA; all courses that are or will be threatened by technology (or which are basically unusable for elite stroke play events).

Cog

Cog Hill was always an unremarkable post-classic golf course. It's a quasi-muni. Torrey Pines (which I have played quite often and personally enjoy) is a true muni. It has never been a favorite of golf architecture buffs. The grass there is like a science experiment. I also think that Torrey's rep suffers because they use the North course for two days of the Farmers.

Personally, I like Jack's design at Dove Mountain. I don't know if the tour players didn't like the setup for Match Play, or what. I don't know why they don't like it.

But we do know what the players consistently like; courses like Cypress Point, the Melbourne Sandbelt courses, Crystal Downs, Sand Hills, Royal County Down, Prairie Dunes, Riviera; NGLA; all courses that are or will be threatened by technology (or which are basically unusable for elite stroke play events).

None of them are unusable. Putts will always be more important than what club someone hits.

At a cost , according to some people who may or may not be the head of the USGA, of TRILLIONS!!!!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

At a cost , according to some people who may or may not be the head of the USGA, of TRILLIONS!!!!

The elderly couple in front of me yesterday really held up our round. Probably because my course had to be lengthened to combat their assault on par.

Cog

This was said of one of your bottom 10 which I am sure you will agree with "Shorten it for starters,"

As previously mentioned...most of the courses you feel are threatened by technology and long hitters are most importantly not "big" enough to hold elite stroke play events. Not too short. No room for tents and fans.

Edit-Cypress never held big time events. It was on the PGA tour until 1991 but was taken off the tour for another reason than course length. Royal County Down has held more " men's elite events" since 2000 than it did before 2000. So unless than are somehow threatened by amateur womens prowess but not the mens'??

NGLA only event ever is the Walker Cup-in 2013.

Sand Hills was built in 1995, just on the outskirts of a town of 491 folks. Where would they put the spectators at night? In the basement?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Same reason free throw % hasn’t increased in the nba for like 50 years

Indeed. Maybe they should raise the hoop and move back the FT line to preserve the legacies of Hornacek and Mark Price. You know, reward the real shotmakers.

Oh you mean that basketball-playing athletes maybe aren't getting all that much better? It's just golfing "athletes"?

Or is it better said that unlike golf, in basketball there aren't equipment manufacturers with R&D budgets of many, many millions, all building better and better free-throw shooting machines for the players to use?

Same reason free throw % hasn’t increased in the nba for like 50 years

Indeed. Maybe they should raise the hoop and move back the FT line to preserve the legacies of Hornacek and Mark Price. You know, reward the real shotmakers.

Oh you mean that basketball-playing athletes maybe aren't getting all that much better? It's just golfing "athletes"?

25q817l.jpg

giphy.gif

bnmain.gif

image.gif

Nah, I think it's pretty much across the board.

My sincere apologies, but that Cousy dribbling expo that would get picked in any middle school game today makes me laugh every time through. Broke ya ankles!

Cousy was great in his era. Amazing, really. Nobody, however, deludes himself into thinking Ol' Bobby could run the point for the Spurs today; that would be plain stupid to suggest.

And, yet, we are expected to think that the legendary golfers of yesteryear could somehow be just as legendary today? I'm not buying it, and I'm pretty old.

Players back then were great, and should be celebrated. Players now are better.

I don't think that the players now are better than the stars of yesteryear, there are just more of them now. It is impossible to compare different era's in golf.

The average over all scores. may be about the same as years ago, but you see many more 59s, 60, 61, 63 than ever before. Just about every tournament someone will post 63 or less.