I'm sure its been asked many times, but does the ball matter?

Slanman

I'm still a relatively new golfer, this is my third year playing. So in that sense I'm not very good yet! Last year, Dick's was selling 18 packs of Top Flite XL7000 golf balls for like $4 each, so generally I bought like 8 boxes lol. I figured, I'm not good enough to know the difference. I got some Pro V1's for my birthday last year that I've been too scared to use because I lose so many golf balls. But today I went out to play and decided to bust open the Pro V1's, and it was incredible. I had my best ever score, some of my best ever shots, and just in general I played better than I EVER have on the same course I play every week. I'm lucky to get a birdie in an entire round, and today I had 3 on the front 9. So that's my question....how much of a difference does the "premium" ball make. Was it just a coincidence and I played amazing today by my standards?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ball is the thing doing the flying, arguably the most important piece of equipment a golfer can have. The ball makes a huge difference, but do you need a premium ball to play well? Not if you understand what the ball you're using can and can't do. If you've been playing all along with the TopFlite, expecting it to do what a premium ball does, then yeah, good luck.

A ball that suits your playing style is very important as it is used on every shot.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Around the greens with your wedges & putting - aren't these these the places where "feel" and a premium ball makes all the difference?

If a pro can drive the ball 300 yds. regularly - I bet they would not know much difference with their driver. However, in the short game, likely you would hear complaints within a couple of holes playing a cheap 1-pc. ball vs. their favorite 4-pc.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

Around the greens with your wedges & putting - aren't these these the places where "feel" and a premium ball makes all the difference?

If a pro can drive the ball 300 yds. regularly - I bet they would not know much difference with their driver. However, in the short game, likely you would hear complaints within a couple of holes playing a cheap 1-pc. ball vs. their favorite 4-pc.

A lot of folks would agree with this. But it doesn't really add up. I'm sure it wasn't the OP's short game that got him 3 birdies on the front 9 when he doesn't usually ever birdie a hole. And the new soft distance balls really feel nice off the putter. Where the 4 piece tour ball really shines is in the places were the 2nd and 3rd layer are used. To me, that's like 150 yards down to 30 yards. The approach shots. More likely the OP was so worried about losing his expensive golf ball that he stayed under control, and then saw some benefit on the approach shots.

I am starting to rethink this with my own game. As I've improved, it seems the ball matters less. I've never had a problem stopping any ball on an approach shot, which may be unique - but a material fact for my decision. My lowest round ever was with a Snell Get Sum. I do have memories of being a beginner and trying to play a Titleist balata and I couldn't hit a fairway with it. Darn thing curved this way and that - haha... Now, I can hit some real circus shots, ala Bubba, with the softer "player" balls if I try (as opposed to when I'm not trying). But, what I need is straight 9 out of 10 times. I think the ball doesn't matter nearly as much as most of us think it does. For the top players, sure. Collegiate players, yep.

A lot of folks would agree with this. But it doesn't really add up. I'm sure it wasn't the OP's short game that got him 3 birdies on the front 9 when he doesn't usually ever birdie a hole. And the new soft distance balls really feel nice off the putter. Where the 4 piece tour ball really shines is in the places were the 2nd and 3rd layer are used. To me, that's like 150 yards down to 30 yards. The approach shots. More likely the OP was so worried about losing his expensive golf ball that he stayed under control, and then saw some benefit on the approach shots.

I did make some nice long putts. But also, the two pars I had could have easily been birdies. The birdie putts came up about an inch short both times. The biggest thing today was I hit driver the best I ever have. I only hit one bad shot that didnt fade when I wanted so I ended up on the left side. That was the hole i doubled. Otherwise, my approach shots were great as well. Thats why I'm unsure if I just played really well or if the ball helps that much.

I did make some nice long putts. But also, the two pars I had could have easily been birdies. The birdie putts came up about an inch short both times. The biggest thing today was I hit driver the best I ever have. I only hit one bad shot that didnt fade when I wanted so I ended up on the left side. That was the hole i doubled. Otherwise, my approach shots were great as well. Thats why I'm unsure if I just played really well or if the ball helps that much.

Mostly, you played well, and congratulations for that! Premium balls don't fly any straighter than inexpensive balls, and its possible that they're shorter for some golfers. You did all of the good stuff on your own.

I would say a bit of both. Though there is a video that I'll dig up with Dean Snell talking about how worse players benefit more from a premium ball;

[media=]

[/media]

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting watch. I've recently switched to the MTB blacks and really enjoying them, and saving $$ over my prior ball,

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311 P w/accra  5-gap 
54* & 58* PXG Forged
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

Ah, the old 1-piece ball. All rubber, no cover, no paint. Basically hitting a bouncy ball. Fun to drive, hard to chip.

I don't see a reason why anybody wouldn't use a premium ball other than cost. Modern tour balls spin almost as low off the driver as "distance" balls and feel much nicer and spin more on the greens. With these modern shovels and jacked lofts people play, the last thing they need is to be hitting a low spin bullet off their 7 (I mean 5 iron) because they are hitting a Velocity.

I don't see a reason why anybody wouldn't use a premium ball other than cost. Modern tour balls spin almost as low off the driver as "distance" balls and feel much nicer and spin more on the greens. With these modern shovels and jacked lofts people play, the last thing they need is to be hitting a low spin bullet off their 7 (I mean 5 iron) because they are hitting a Velocity.

because distance balls are longer an straighter

And if you play on slow greens, you don't need more spin